No SVDO nor SVLTE!!

el_oh_el88

I'm disappointed for Sprint in that there could be some converts from AT&T (like my wife) that really beat the crap out of the SVDO functionality as well as merging several phone calls into one. On the other hand she's not eligible for an upgrade and neither am I nor are we off contract. Hopefully iPhone 5S or 6 will include both of those. See, she does not need quad core CPU or GPU or high MHZ she needs basic phone functionality to get things done. Bad Apple, even worse Sprint and Verizon!!!!

I'm disappointed for Sprint in that there could be some converts from AT&T (like my wife) that really beat the crap out of the SVDO functionality as well as merging several phone calls into one. On the other hand she's not eligible for an upgrade and neither am I nor are we off contract. Hopefully iPhone 5S or 6 will include both of those. See, she does not need quad core CPU or GPU or high MHZ she needs basic phone functionality to get things done. Bad Apple, even worse Sprint and Verizon!!!!

I'm still in shock over this. I didn't see this one coming. For me, simultaneous voice/data is a novelty. However, a lot of people around here value SVDO as a high priority. This seems to be quite an oversight.

Robert

Robert

• Like 4

I'm still in shock over this. I didn't see this one coming. For me, simultaneous voice/data is a novelty. However, a lot of people around here value SVDO as a high priority. This seems to be quite an oversight.

Robert

Robert

Me, I rarely, if ever use the functionality. However public facing people like my wife, an attorney, real-estate agents, financial consultants really love the functionality. Between Sprint and Verizon I had hoped they had enough pull so that the functionality was included.

If I was to make an excuse for apple, the way they designed this phone with the battery off to 1 side while the motherboard is on the other side, it seems that there's a limited amount of real estate in there and a separate radio path for EVDO was a tradeoff that they could have been limited by. Anyway,like I said, they could have sucked off some of the professionals that highly value SVDO and other GSM telephony features from AT&T. Missed opportunities.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Sprint could make this work with a sleeve that gives an always on wifi connection for the iPhone 5 so we can have our EVDO and LTE while we jabber on the phone to people, included free for every iPhone 5 purchaser. If they did that, they could really steal the spotlight from both at&t and Verizon.

Sprint could make this work with a sleeve that gives an always on wifi connection for the iPhone 5 so we can have our EVDO and LTE while we jabber on the phone to people, included free for every iPhone 5 purchaser. If they did that, they could really steal the spotlight from both at&t and Verizon.

Battery Life. Enough said.

Not just any battery- a solar powered battery!

Apple's iPhone team is reportedly working on a battery powered by hype and anticipation.

AJ

• Like 3

But will it blend?

Nope, it will not blend. iOS products iWhip -- just like their adherents are iWhipped.

:P

AJ

As far as I know LTE requires 2 RX antennas (MISO/MIMO) so this would have required an extra antenna just to satisfy Sprint/Verizon, for a tech both are phasing out. I don't like it but I understand the decision. We got confirmation that they have solid state switches that latch in and out to dynamically change the size of the antenna, so I'm not shocked it would have been difficult to cram a third (four if you count WiFi/BT) into the package.

I would also point out that Voice over LTE is an entirely software thing as it is just a VoIP call, so there is no technical reason it can't be enabled in the future, I think they just didn't test it because no one is really rolling it out. No idea why the carriers aren't launching with it... Skype, Vonage, et al have been doing VoIP for years, it's not a new technology.

CDMA voice is part of Sprint's long term vision. It's not going anywhere for a while. One of the main reasons is that it can provide HD Voice quality on a sliver of spectrum compared to gsm, which is clogging the pipes for ATT/T-Mobile right now.

Also, Sprint really needs to finish Network Vision, with the 800 mhz LTE deploy, to see exactly what their LTE footprint looks like. They need to make sure that coverage would be ubiquitous enough to offer voice over LTE, and be able to drop back to CDMA if coverage is not there. They don't have any LTE roaming partnerships with other national carriers and LTE doesn't travel as far as CDMA 1x by a non trivial distance. I would like to see them wait on VoLTE, until Verizon has worked out all the bugs.

I'm not saying there will be no fallback mode but it is clear that CDMA is going to go away. Why wouldn't you just carry voice over the LTE data channel if you have it?

Plus with LTE on 800Mhz there shouldn't be any coverage issues compared to CDMA voice.

I'm not saying there will be no fallback mode but it is clear that CDMA is going to go away.

Your thinking is wishful. Reference this conversation three years from now. I will bet you that we are still using CDMA1X for voice.

Why wouldn't you just carry voice over the LTE data channel if you have it?

I dare VZW (or any other carrier) to take that leap. CDMA1X -- circuit switched voice with soft handoff between/among PNs -- is simply more reliable.

Plus with LTE on 800Mhz there shouldn't be any coverage issues compared to CDMA voice.

See above. VoLTE makes a single site, packet switched connection. For voice, which is a synchronous stream, VoLTE is not as reliable as is CDMA1X.

AJ

• Like 2

I know that's the theory but all these same objections were raised about VoIP in general. I can remember having these same arguments with people back in 2002. They were wrong. We had the circuit vs packet switched war. Packets won. Deal with it. :)

No one deploys non-VoIP phones in offices anymore. Millions and millions of people use Skype daily, including over things like WiFi connections and to interface with the regular telephone system. Millions of people use things like Vonage over a wide variety of ISPs.

We understand how to do VoIP using QoS/priority systems and all the hardware supports it. LTE makes provision for giving a slice of priority bandwidth to handsets with voice traffic and all the switches/backhaul will drop data packets to make room for voice if needed. We've spent years working the bugs out; it's old technology at this point. He'll, my Airave pipes my Sprint calls over VoIP!

We can agree to disagree but I'm sticking by my position that voice over IP is the future and the sooner the better.

We can agree to disagree but I'm sticking by my position that voice over IP is the future and the sooner the better.

None of your existing VoIP examples involves mobility. Deal with your flawed thinking.

And the sooner the carriers switch over to VoLTE, the better for them. But are you rooting for the carriers? Or are you pulling for your own self interest in maintaining reliable, high quality cellular voice?

AJ

• 2 months later...

Ah, yes, just as predicted, AT&T is at it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlO1nW3iDUk

AJ

Ah, yes, just as predicted, AT&T is at it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlO1nW3iDUk

AJ

What the Deathstar DOESN'T tell you is that 3G errr I mean "4G" speeds are throttled during calls! (at least they were on iPhone 4) down to 300 kbps. It was practically useless anyway... Much happier with my Sprint GS3 and full speed surfing on LTE during calls and even full speed SVDO.

• Like 2

My wife was tripping over that fireplace during the Texans/Lions game yesterday. She sad the only thing she thought was freakier than that Fireplace staring at you is the CEO of AT&T with his creepy eyes and greasy hair. I almost choked on my apple cider. It appears my disdain for Randall Stephenson has rubbed off on my wife.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I was also pretty disappointed when I learned LTE would not carry voice calls until a much later date. After all, LTE is supposedly the successor to UMTS, which has had simultaneous voice and data for years. It definitely does seem like a step backwards for the carriers to implement LTE without requiring voice functionality right off the bat. But I suppose I can live without it for a year or two. There were only like 2 times when I had AT&T that I used data while on a phone call.