Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Well, looking at the sites complete map, its pretty clear why the signal at 94 and 18 is showing up on sensorly as so strong...

Aww snap. I love it. Now I get to enjoy sweet sweet LTE for a brief few minutes on my way to and from work. I mapped a little around that site on sensorly yesterday. I'll probably hit up a little more on my way to work today too.

I'm expecting the water tower at UW Waukesha to light up soon too. I saw a crew there like 2 weeks ago, so they have to be close to being done by now...

Sensorly is now showing LTE in Madison proper. Specifically on John Nolen Dr, entering the city from the south.

Yup Rimrock tower by Alliant Energy Center is live and Broadcasting. Those attending Band Camp in a couple weeks will be able to download all the metal they can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

LTE is up and running in Middleton....but nothing on the west side of Madison, downtown, or eastside.  Some LTE on the beltline is great because in the afternoon, the signal was horrible.  Now, if Sprint can get the other areas up and running, that would be great!

LTE is up and running in Middleton....but nothing on the west side of Madison, downtown, or eastside. Some LTE on the beltline is great because in the afternoon, the signal was horrible. Now, if Sprint can get the other areas up and running, that would be great!

I'll be out in Middleton tonight and will map some on Sensorly. Come on Tokay, light up!!

That Rimrock tower is inhibited to the West by a big hill, so until the Fish Hatchery tower (no work on it yet) or the Tokay tower (ready for service) goes live it'll be pretty limited to the west.

LTE is up and running in Middleton....but nothing on the west side of Madison, downtown, or eastside. Some LTE on the beltline is great because in the afternoon, the signal was horrible. Now, if Sprint can get the other areas up and running, that would be great!

They must have just turned it on. It wasn't broadcasting as of 730 this morning on my way to work. Can't wait to try it out on my way home.

So I wanted to take a bike ride today. Figured I'd go take pictures of the 3 closest towers to me in Madison. I've never done this before, so I'm not great at spotting new equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/jrHoT

The first 3 pictures are from an apartment building just south of campus on Park St (this was hard to find at first). Looks like old equipment. I imagine the cabinets are on the roof, because I couldn't find them.

The next 8 pictures are from the Fish Hatch/Beltline tower. There were so many things up there, I couldn't tell what anything was. I couldn't tell if those cabinets (3rd and 4th pictures) were old, and I couldn't get any closer/other angles.

The last 3 are 2 different angles of the McKee Rd tower. 

So I wanted to take a bike ride today. Figured I'd go take pictures of the 3 closest towers to me in Madison. I've never done this before, so I'm not great at spotting new equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

The first 3 pictures are from an apartment building just south of campus on Park St (this was hard to find at first). Looks like old equipment. I imagine the cabinets are on the roof, because I couldn't find them.

The next 8 pictures are from the Fish Hatch/Beltline tower. There were so many things up there, I couldn't tell what anything was. I couldn't tell if those cabinets (3rd and 4th pictures) were old, and I couldn't get any closer/other angles.

There's nothing in those photos that is Network Vision work yet.  Perhaps the cabinet looks a little new at the Beltline tower, but I'm not very good at spotting those, others may be.  However, there are no new NV antennas on any of those towers.  I keep an eye on these towers as they are sort of on my way home from work.  Good pics though! 

The last tower you visited is the one across the street from my house, I watch it like a hawk! :)

Here's what the middleton tower looks like. you are looking for the antennas in the middle with those big boxes coming off them (the RRUs).  Each tower will be set up slightly differently with the RRUs placed behind the antenna as space allows....like the Rimrock Rd. tower is set up.  There are better pictures in this thread by they get buried pretty quickly. 

20130717_202710.jpg

I have had 2 instances so far in the last couple of days where my Evo has picked up LTE for a split second and then i lost the signal. Both locations were areas where there is no LTE tower nearby. Might be testing or possibly picking up a VERY faint signal from an LTE tower farther away. Both signals were around -125. 

1st location was 3031 W Montana St., Milwaukee 53215

2nd location was 220 E Sunset Dr., Waukesha 53189

Maybe these will help too.

UcmJtOJh.jpg

meRivBUh.jpg

800 MHz RRU on left, 1900MHz RRU on right.

nBXzQqvh.jpg

The one in the middle.

vFQqo5uh.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I have tons more. I was blessed to have the NV transformation on the building where I work and I am the person in charge of keeping an eye on them when they are here. Fascinating stuff up close, like the up close in the cabinet stuff.

• Like 2

Not sure what your talking about? No lte being broadcasting in Middleton. Just rant lte discovery mode and still showing up as ehrpd.

Not sure what your talking about? No lte being broadcasting in Middleton. Just rant lte discovery mode and still showing up as ehrpd.

Have you tried rebooting or doing airplane mode on and off? I've been having problems with LTE discovery mode working on my S4 lately for whatever reason. But if I toggle airplane mode myself then I'll grab it. I'll be out in Middleton in 30 mins and I'll check too. It's possible they turned it back off also.

I was just out at Woodman's in Waukesha.... nice latency, 51ms. Got about 10 down 6 up. Can't wait till they turn on 800 LTE for the wider coverage, even though I know I'll need a new phone. I've been spoiled with Verizon 700 MHz LTE for the past couple of years on my work phone. Rarely drops to 3G.

Saw 800 voice up in Stevens Point this weekend... had probably one of the best quality calls I've ever had on my phone while I was there.

Yup Rimrock tower by Alliant Energy Center is live and Broadcasting. Those attending Band Camp in a couple weeks will be able to download all the metal they can.

Awesome so as I wait for a beer at the great taste I'll have LTE to bad about the middleton tower

I wonder if there's another tower live in Waukesha.  I was driving down 18 towards Hwy F and the LTE signal was increasing slightly.  There's enough houses/trees that I would be surprised if it was coming from the two known live towers.  Unfortunately was on my way to work, so I couldn't drive south and investigate further.

They must have ramped up work in the downtown Milwaukee area a lot this week so far.

Yesterday and today in particular I've gotten the most inconsistent performance that I can recall in the past few months in the office. I've watched my phone flip between 1x and 3G several times throughout the day and speed tests have resulted in everything from Network Errors/timeouts to 1000+ ping and 0.2 - 3ish KB/s download to 100ish ping and 80-120 KB/s download all in within a few hours. I also saw LTE light up on my phone for a minute yesterday before it disappeared.

I ran a number of tests one right after another just now and got several network errors, a few that worked with really high ping and slow speeds (1ish KB/s download), and a couple that were (relatively) decent 100-150 ping with 40-60 KB/s download. More often than not though, my data has gone from really slow to simply unusable.

Anyone know for sure if they've started doing more work around here? I noticed in the NV Site Acceptance updates thread that there were 11 3G updates for Milwaukee on 8/5.

Anyone know for sure if they've started doing more work around here? I noticed in the NV Site Acceptance updates thread that there were 11 3G updates for Milwaukee on 8/5.

Those updates appear to all be along the 94 corridor between Oconomowoc and Madison, not Milwaukee.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's another tower live in Waukesha.  I was driving down 18 towards Hwy F and the LTE signal was increasing slightly.  There's enough houses/trees that I would be surprised if it was coming from the two known live towers.  Unfortunately was on my way to work, so I couldn't drive south and investigate further.

I don't think so. If you look on sensorly, it looks like all that purple is coming from the 2 known LTE sites so far. I think that the central part of the city of Waukesha is kind of in a little valley, so the signal reaches it pretty good from the 2 existing LTE towers.

It shouldn't be too long before we see more Waukesha sites though. I stopped by the water tower at UW Waukesha and the crew that I saw a couple weeks ago still has their enclosed trailer parked there. I don't see any new panels on the water tower, but I know they have their gear there (and hopefully NV equipment) in their trailer.

Those updates appear to all be along the 94 corridor between Oconomowoc and Madison, not Milwaukee.

Ah, ok. Thanks for confirming! :) I was hoping to be able to explain the drop in performance, but work could still be going on anyway.

Well, something must be going on. I randomly did a speed test just now. Ping was 550ms, download speeds averaged around 28 KB/s. The weird thing was that upload speeds jumped WAY up to 350ish KB/s and slowly settled back down to 80 KB/s. Speeds are usually the other way around with download being faster than upload. Even then, the upload speeds were much faster than what I had ever seen (up or down) when I've run speed tests inside the office.