Network Vision/LTE - Cincinnati Market

ohioratrodder

Is this on a Tri-band phone?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No. I am holding out to see what the 4th quarter holds for devices. I am very hopeful the note 4 brings the true lte-A carrier aggregation to Sprint. It was disappointing that the Sprint s5 didn't have this technology and the AT&T variant did.

• Like 1

No. I am holding out to see what the 4th quarter holds for devices. I am very hopeful the note 4 brings the true lte-A carrier aggregation to Sprint. It was disappointing that the Sprint s5 didn't have this technology and the AT&T variant did.

Oh ok, I was wondering if it worked differently on a Tri-band phone like mine.

I honestly have no idea. I know things are different with the tri band phones as far as the hand off from voice to data. It would make sense for them to be dependent on being on a single tower with how that all works but, I couldn't say for certain.

I honestly have no idea. I know things are different with the tri band phones as far as the hand off from voice to data. It would make sense for them to be dependent on being on a single tower with how that all works but, I couldn't say for certain.

I thought about that as well. Well it will be interesting to see how this phone will work in a live market, I'll have 3 days to play around with it, hopefully to get a taste of how things will be here once lte is officially deployed.

On a tri-band device, you only connect to one technology at a time. When on LTE, you don't have voice connection. Via Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) the network pushes you back to 3G when a call comes through.

Older single band devices connect to LTE and 1x at the same time, and they can indeed connect to different towers for voice and data.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

I emailed the LTE Discovery developers about the arrow in the app to see which tower it points at. Below is the email and response.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Subject: Re: Android: LTE Discovery App Feedback - Location View

To: Aaron

Hello Aaron,

Currently the arrow only points to CDMA towers but we are working on a way to triangulate the LTE site's location for users to see as well. Unfortunately, LTE sites don't squawk their location like CDMA towers do so this requires a lot of more work. This is something we are hoping to have available soon.

If you want feel free to join our Beta Group on Google+. You'll be among the first to try it out if you want to help test the new features.

Best,

Spence

Project Manager

On 2014-05-18 23:27, Aaron wrote:

Hello,

Does the arrow in the app point only to CDMA towers, or does it work

when you have an LTE signal?

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by GoBears
  • Like 1

Sorrly, last post was kind of misleading but i was there last week and jad terrible 3g. This week i was there and had some b41 sweetness

Sweet indeed! ahhh..

GoBears were you the one who traced the lte in Newport and across the bride into Covington, on Sensorly?

Sweet indeed! ahhh..

GoBears were you the one who traced the lte in Newport and across the bride into Covington, on Sensorly?

Yes, that was me. LTE PRL was forced on my phone using Advanced Signal Status app. 

• Like 1

Yes, that was me. LTE PRL was forced on my phone using Advanced Signal Status app.

Awesome, unfortunately my S5 has the hidden menu disabled, so I can't acess it. Thanks for doing this, it's the the only way for me to know the progress of lte around here.

How do you force lte on the s5? A friend of mine just got one and I would like to test out the b41 coverage around here.

I'm not sure if this would work on an S5, but it works on my Galaxy Note 3.  Download "Advanced Signal Status" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo Once installed, go to "Additional Info", then "Device Information"  Then click on the options for "Set preferred network type:" and change it from "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" to "LTE only"

Force_LTE.png

I'm not sure if this would work on an S5, but it works on my Galaxy Note 3. Download "Advanced Signal Status" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo Once installed, go to "Additional Info", then "Device Information" Then click on the options for "Set preferred network type:" and change it from "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" to "LTE only"

Force_LTE.png

The S5 has that option disabled. Unless it's rooted. I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work.

Awesome, unfortunately my S5 has the hidden menu disabled, so I can't acess it. Thanks for doing this, it's the the only way for me to know the progress of lte around here.

No problem, I'll continue mapping more when I get a chance, although I'm primarily out of town for work in Louisville for the near term future.  Which, Louisville by the way, has pretty good 4G coverage, so I'm hoping once Cincy finally gets done we'll all be content.

• Like 1

The S5 has that option disabled. Unless it's rooted. I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work.

Ah I see... I'm rooted on my Note 3.

Edited by GoBears

No problem, I'll continue mapping more when I get a chance, although I'm primarily out of town for work in Louisville for the near term future. Which, Louisville by the way, has pretty good 4G coverage, so I'm hoping once Cincy finally gets done we'll all be content.

I was in Auburn Hills MI these past 3 days, and their Lte was quite bad, considering it was a deployed city. So I'm hoping the wait here in our area will be worth it and not like in Auburn Hills lol.

Fairfield has been horrible the last few weeks.. Dropping calls like crazy.. I assume it's the new Samsung hardware not handing off to the old Motorola or vice versa

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk