Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

Anybody know in the Athens area if LTE goes to Watkinsville yet? Specifically, if it goes down 316 to Epps Bridge Connector and then down Mars Hill Rd? Will be in that area next week.

There are two sites in the Watkinsville area that have 4G LTE complete. You can see them in our Sponsor maps section.

Robert

Anyone know how the LTE coverage at Georgia Tech is? I might go there next year

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty decent when I tailgate there for football games. Good enough for me to tether and stream video and audio from my laptop.

Anyone know how the LTE coverage at Georgia Tech is? I might go there next year

I wouldn't worry about data speeds there. The GT wireless network is extensive. Their backbone is pretty much the fastest internet connection in the southeast. I would assume you will be WiFi the entire time. I went to UGA and their wireless covered every ounce of campus.

I wouldn't worry about data speeds there. The GT wireless network is extensive. Their backbone is pretty much the fastest internet connection in the southeast. I would assume you will be WiFi the entire time. I went to UGA and their wireless covered every ounce of campus.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

That's correct, and if you are a student or an employee there it is free just not for normal people like me. We have to pay.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think my LTE issues are because my home area is over capacity(yes, already). LTE works perfectly in most areas of Atlanta I travel to, and it's crazy fast. When I'm home, my phone is constantly switching between 3G and LTE, this is my typical LTE speed test:

post-7524-13569651011844_thumb.jpg

If I happen to be up around 3-6 am when everyone else is sleep, I get this:

post-7524-13569653700653_thumb.jpg

Anyplace else in Atlanta I'm getting no less than 10 down and 2 up. Side note, everyone else in my area with Sprint gets these same dismal speeds as well. As stated in my previous post, I'm in the 30044 area.

Initially Sprint told me they were upgrading my area, now that the upgrades are supposedly complete, they're saying its my phone and to take it to the Apple Store. They are completely ignoring the fact that my speeds are excellent anywhere else.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think my LTE issues are because my home area is over capacity(yes, already). LTE works perfectly in most areas of Atlanta I travel to, and it's crazy fast. When I'm home, my phone is constantly switching between 3G and LTE, this is my typical LTE speed test:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356965097.540548.jpg

If I happen to be up around 3-6 am when everyone else is sleep, I get this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356965368.872777.jpg

Anyplace else in Atlanta I'm getting no less than 10 down and 2 up. Side note, everyone else in my area with Sprint gets these same dismal speeds as well. As stated in my previous post, I'm in the 30044 area.

Initially Sprint told me they were upgrading my area, now that the upgrades are supposedly complete, they're saying its my phone and to take it to the Apple Store. They are completely ignoring the fact that my speeds are excellent anywhere else.

Unless you have some abusers on your sector, I would say it is unlikely. But since you are in a launched market, I would call and complain to Sprint and get a ticket opened. Insist on a ticket. That way someone who knows what they're doing will have to investigate your site.

I'm thinking it is backhaul related. If the backhaul is not functioning properly, it may bog down during the day, especially if it came from an ILEC. They can then get the backhaul provider to do what is necessary to meet the contract requirements to fix the problem.

If the airlink is saturated, then Sprint can then identify the abusers and perhaps take actions against them. Because it would be very difficult for the air link in your sector to be saturated yet with normal usage. There are not enough Sprint LTE devices out there yet.

The switching to 3G is likely unrelated. I see in your iPhone signal strength indicator that you have a pretty weak LTE signal. At the edge of service, going in and out of 3G/4G is common. In fact, this probably the reason why your speeds are low. The nearest site to you probably still isn't live with LTE.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you have some abusers on your sector, I would say it is unlikely. But since you are in a launched market, I would call and complain to Sprint and get a ticket opened. Insist on a ticket. That way someone who knows what they're doing will have to investigate your site.

I'm thinking it is backhaul related. If the backhaul is not functioning properly, it may bog down during the day, especially if it came from an ILEC. They can then get the backhaul provider to do what is necessary to meet the contract requirements to fix the problem.

If the airlink is saturated, then Sprint can then identify the abusers and perhaps take actions against them. Because it would be very difficult for the air link in your sector to be saturated yet with normal usage. There are not enough Sprint LTE devices out there yet.

The switching to 3G is likely unrelated. I see in your iPhone signal strength indicator that you have a pretty weak LTE signal. At the edge of service, going in and out of 3G/4G is common. In fact, this probably the reason why your speeds are low. The nearest site to you probably still isn't live with LTE.

Excellent explanation, Robert. Thank you. It helped me, too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

The IOS 6.1 update seems to have resolved the issues I was having on my device(iPhone 5) while at home. Still not sure about the other users in my area, but for now I'm a happy camper. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over 100 accepted sites in Atlanta/Athens? Really? Were most of these sites Where Ericsson added NV 3G to pre-existing LTE sites? Backhaul issues now largely resolved? Because other than that i was just wondering where most of these 100+ newly accepted sites are. Yes, I'm already a sponsor but with Atlanta so already built out, it's difficult to distinguish new sites from old. Thanks.

Over 100 accepted sites in Atlanta/Athens? Really? Were most of these sites Where Ericsson added NV 3G to pre-existing LTE sites? Backhaul issues now largely resolved? Because other than that i was just wondering where most of these 100+ newly accepted sites are. Yes, I'm already a sponsor but with Atlanta so already built out, it's difficult to distinguish new sites from old. Thanks.

Not so much sites accepted, as updates accepted. I also can't tell where the majority of the updates where, but I'm guess a lot of it was accepting the 3G upgrades on towers that already had 4G LTE. Probably due to the fact that Ericsson is finally getting the supply problem with the 3G network cards fixed.

Not so much sites accepted, as updates accepted. I also can't tell where the majority of the updates where, but I'm guess a lot of it was accepting the 3G upgrades on towers that already had 4G LTE. Probably due to the fact that Ericsson is finally getting the supply problem with the 3G network cards fixed.

That's precisely what i was thinking. Thanks for your input. Hopefully Robert can weigh in a bit as well when he gets time. P.s..the fact that Atlanta has so many active 4g towers live that it's hard to tell the old from the new isn't exactly the worst problem to have! : o )

• Like 1

The updates in Atlanta this past week were about two-thirds 3G, and the last third are new 4G sites around the whole market, but more in the south and southeast of perimeter area than any other area.

• Like 1

The updates in Atlanta this past week were about tTYwo-thirds 3G, and the last third are new 4G sites around the whole market, but more in the south and southeast of perimeter area than any other area.

thanks for the clarification, Robert. Seems to jibe with what i was thinking. Nice to see Ericsson finally getting that backhaul for enhanced 3g in place. Would be interesting to see what sort of 3g speeds folks are picking up in those areas.

Can't wait till the tower near me is upgraded. It's the tower for my house and part of my commute. They put in a permit with the county in October, still nothing. It's a backhaul issue I am sure. Copper is fed to the site by AT&T and they already have WiMax at this site so I am sure it's too congested. Which is why we still have crappy DSL and no U-Verse upgrades in my area as well.

It was nice when I had my Nexus S 4G because I would get WiMax at home and on the way to work. Now I only get 4g LTE with my Galaxy S3 right before I get to work and when I am on 3G it sometimes (sometimes, meaning all the time) stutters when I am streaming on the way to work. It's sad because it's like the only tower in Gwinnett County not upgraded yet :(:)

Edited by canestim

• 1 month later...

How is the LTE deployment around the southside of Southlake mall and the aiport? I cant use Sprint anymore. :-(

I won't be back in atlanta for another couple of weeks so I can't speak for coverage issues but all the towers surrounding southlake mall have all been updgraded so maybe there is an outage in the area

• 2 weeks later...

To the knowledgeable, I am REALLY trying to be patient. The speeds for 4G LTE are still under 500 kbps in every location I test in the perimeter unless I go out to the northern suburbs. Is there any hope in the near future?

Edited by dnatic09

• 2 months later...

How are you all doing ???

I left Sprint last year because I got frustrated with the LTE (I prefer SIM card too)  and I cant get my HTC Evo 4G LTE to work with all these spotty LTE signals that I am getting.

I been using Tmobile prepaid and was using Nexus 4 and now I just got my HTC One last week.  Paid $650 for it with tax. (No more expensive plastic phone and front loud stereo speakers.  S4 and S3 cant do this).

Now Tmobile just turn on LTE signal in Atlanta about 2 days ago.  I see LTE briefly few days ago (south Atlanta) but it goes away about 1 min later each time.  I dont know how to make the LTE signal stick.  I remember reading here u have to do ## something.  I wonder if that work in this HTC one phone.

I am back in the same boat again waiting for a good LTE signal.  I am ok with 4G. (HTC Evo can only get LTE or 3G).

Hello ROBERT and and themuffinman and  ATL!  What you all up to man ???

The big thing I think to get LTE to work on T-Mobile prepaid is to have the right APN settings.  They were mentioned in a recent thread... if I had my Nexus 4 in front of me, I'd be able to tell you what they are.  I was able to stay connected quite a bit in SLC with the Nexus 4 last week (the T-Mobile LTE trace from downtown to the airport on Sensorly is me).