Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

How are you all doing ???

I left Sprint last year because I got frustrated with the LTE (I prefer SIM card too)  and I cant get my HTC Evo 4G LTE to work with all these spotty LTE signals that I am getting.

I been using Tmobile prepaid and was using Nexus 4 and now I just got my HTC One last week.  Paid $650 for it with tax. (No more expensive plastic phone and front loud stereo speakers.  S4 and S3 cant do this).

Now Tmobile just turn on LTE signal in Atlanta about 2 days ago.  I see LTE briefly few days ago (south Atlanta) but it goes away about 1 min later each time.  I dont know how to make the LTE signal stick.  I remember reading here u have to do ## something.  I wonder if that work in this HTC one phone.

I am back in the same boat again waiting for a good LTE signal.  I am ok with 4G. (HTC Evo can only get LTE or 3G).

Hello ROBERT and and themuffinman and  ATL!  What you all up to man ???

I can't believe you left sprint to go to tmobile in the atlanta market.  The reason why this thread is all but dead is because 4g lte is virtually everywhere.  I don't even know the last time my phone has seen a 3g symbol in the atlanta area.  I will keep it real and say that there are a lot of markets out there that I would feel uncomfortable recommending sprint at this moment but atlanta is one area where you can't go wrong with sprint especially in my area and you live like 5 minutes away from me.  Now I can't speak for tmobile's lte service but I do know that their hspa+ service is pretty good but ping times aren't that great.  You may as well get an htc one on sprint and call it a day.

• Like 1

There are some weak areas in the market still - the DAS in the airport isn't upgraded yet (no 4G on the Plane Train), and there are some gaps in coverage here and there.  But by and large the market is pretty solid, particularly with a well-performing LTE phone (the EVO 4G LTE I'd say is at the weak end).

There are some weak areas in the market still - the DAS in the airport isn't upgraded yet (no 4G on the Plane Train), and there are some gaps in coverage here and there.  But by and large the market is pretty solid, particularly with a well-performing LTE phone (the EVO 4G LTE I'd say is at the weak end).

Yeah but chong lives probably no more than a mile or two away from me, this entire area is covered in lte. There shouldn't be any complaints when it comes to 4g on our side of town.

The Muffinman is correct.  This thread is entirely dead because it no longer warrants discussion.  4G LTE in Atlanta is now fully ubiquitous.  It has been for some time.  The only areas that could be termed "spotty" now were "spotty" before as 3G goes, given deployment for both (for the time being, anyway) is at 1.9 ghz.

But, yeah, I think only Atlanta, Chicago and Houston can claim essentially wall to wall coverage at this point.  Probably Indy, too, given its extremely forgiving terrain.  

Sprint's moving up and it's been worth the wait!

I work in south Buckhead and find my 3g signal (via SignalCheck) hovers around -75 dBm. But 4g hovers around -115 dBm. So I normally have to switch to 3g to get a decent connection at work.

Is this normal for a "completed" market? Is there anything I can do to improve the 4g signal?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I work in south Buckhead and find my 3g signal (via SignalCheck) hovers around -75 dBm. But 4g hovers around -115 dBm. So I normally have to switch to 3g to get a decent connection at work.

Is this normal for a "completed" market? Is there anything I can do to improve the 4g signal?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Well the atlanta market still isn't quite complete but its close.  I would say based on information provided, atlanta is about 80% complete when it comes to lte.  Looking at our map there is a tower or two that hasn't been completed yet so your phone is probably connected to 1x/3g on a closer tower but connects to 4g on a tower further away.  Which part of buckheard are you located exactly?  Can you give me the closest intersection?

Piedmont rd and lakeshore dr (which is half way between 85 and lindbergh).

Ok based on that intersection it seems like all the surrounding towers have already been upgraded to 4g.  I would say keep monitoring your lte signal strength and see if it persists.

Yea it's been like this since I moved to this office a month ago. I found it puzzling that the 3g is so good and the 4g so bad. But no worries, I can deal with it. 3g works fine for what I do at the office.

Thank you for the help & info.

Ok based on that intersection it seems like all the surrounding towers have already been upgraded to 4g.  I would say keep monitoring your lte signal strength and see if it persists.

Correction... the closet site to this location, behind the fire station on Monroe Drive, hasn't been 4G accepted yet. That would surely account for the weak 4G signal - it's an area designed to be covered by that site.

Correction... the closet site to this location, behind the fire station on Monroe Drive, hasn't been 4G accepted yet. That would surely account for the weak 4G signal - it's an area designed to be covered by that site.

I googled the intersection he gave, it came up with piedmont Rd ne and lakeshore Dr ne, unless I am missing something? Is there somewhere else they intersect?

I googled the intersection he gave, it came up with piedmont Rd ne and lakeshore Dr ne, unless I am missing something? Is there somewhere else they intersect?

Here's the intersection in question, I think (zoom in for the label). The Sprint tower linked above is just south of I-85 on the map, about 2000 feet away. I'll PM you the site ID.

• Like 1

Here's the intersection in question, I think (zoom in for the label). The Sprint tower linked above is just south of I-85 on the map, about 2000 feet away. I'll PM you the site ID.

Yep you are absolutely right, I totally missed that.

Yea it's been like this since I moved to this office a month ago. I found it puzzling that the 3g is so good and the 4g so bad. But no worries, I can deal with it. 3g works fine for what I do at the office.

Thank you for the help & info.

This is what makes this site so awesome and why being a sponsor can be very beneficial, you can find all the answers you need right here.  "Lordsutch" pointed me to the one tower thats actually closest to you that I totally missed.  You are couldn't be in the worst spot for lte, LOL. There are probably 7 or 8 towers surrounding you that are upgraded but the one tower thats the very closest has not been upgraded yet so once that happens then you will be fine.  So yeah, you are getting 1x\3g from that tower and 4g from one of the surrounding towers a few miles away.

• 1 month later...

Anybody had latency and speed issues in the last 24 hours with the LTE network in the Atlanta area?

The reason I ask is because we had a storm come through in northern Coweta county and it pretty much did something crazy to the tour close to us, where the signal was low and it kept flipping to 3G for both my phone and my wife's.  When I could get 4G it was 1.5-2Mbps speeds at most with huge latency issues 150-700ms pings.  

I called and put a ticket in, and it seems it is better this morning, but speeds still are not what they were at my house.  Now getting Latency about 70-150ms and speeds 7-15Mbps when I was getting 20-30Mbps with at most a 50ms ping.  

I get to work in southwest Dekalb county and I work in a building by a window, so I get decently ok LTE signal, usually 4-10Mbps which is plenty enough to stream high end music or netflix.  I am now getting a pause in the middle of songs while it is buffering which never happens, and the latency is pretty bad up here also, probably 150-300ms pings.  

I am just wondering if there is something overall going wrong with the LTE network right now.  Anyone got similar experiences?

My wife and I both have an Galaxy S3 still, and I would think since both of our phones are doing the same thing, it isn't the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else in this area having trouble with sprint service, error 34 trying to send texts and just really crappy cell service inside my home. This all started on the 26th of this month, never had an issue until now. I have been reading sprints forums and it seems like a major issue some of everywhere..

Is anyone else in this area having trouble with sprint service, error 34 trying to send texts and just really crappy cell service inside my home. This all started on the 26th of this month, never had an issue until now. I have been reading sprints forums and it seems like a major issue some of everywhere..

Which part of atlanta are you located?

I'm right off buffington rd...on the south side. .

Oh ok, you're south west of the airport.  I am currently out of state but recently I been getting some major slow down during the day on my side of town(tara blvd in jonesboro) but no issues with calls or texts only data.  That whole area looks pretty good when it comes to upgrades so maybe its some sort of random outage that they are trying to fix.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had issues in the past, but lately things have gotten REALLY bad with the service in the 30044 Posted Imagearea. People tell me my phone goes straight to voicemail, and the phone switches from 1X to 3G to LTE every two minutes or so. Sprint insists there is no issue, but EVERYONE in this area with Sprint says the exact same thing. As soon as I get to Pleasant Hill road in one direction or Herrington road in another direction, service is EXCELLENT. Sprint denies there is an issue but what you see in the image is a GOOD day. Can anyone tell me where my closest tower is and if there are any known issues?

My closest major crossroads are:

Pleasant Hill at Club Dr

Club Dr at Cruse Rd

I've had issues in the past, but lately things have gotten REALLY bad with the service in the 30044 hahuzy9u.jpgarea. People tell me my phone goes straight to voicemail, and the phone switches from 1X to 3G to LTE every two minutes or so. Sprint insists there is no issue, but EVERYONE in this area with Sprint says the exact same thing. As soon as I get to Pleasant Hill road in one direction or Herrington road in another direction, service is EXCELLENT. Sprint denies there is an issue but what you see in the image is a GOOD day. Can anyone tell me where my closest tower is and if there are any known issues?

My closest major crossroads are:

Pleasant Hill at Club Dr

Club Dr at Cruse Rd

How long has things been like this for you?