Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

Right around the beginning of July, I'd say. Service in this area has never stellar, but it was at least usable.

Do you experience these slow speeds late at night?

Do you experience these slow speeds late at night?

Yes, things definitely get better after midnight or so :). If I'm up around 3-4am I can generally manage to get YouTube or Netflix to work on my phone, not always a guarantee, though.

Yes, things definitely get better after midnight or so :). If I'm up around 3-4am I can generally manage to get YouTube or Netflix to work on my phone, not always a guarantee, though.

What type of speeds do you get when you run a speedtest at those hours?

Generally around 1.5 down and .5 up, although I've seen it go as high as 4 down overnight. Upload never really changes that much.

And this is while connected to lte?

Have u called sprint about this issue? It could be a problem with your phone? It is slow when u goto other areas?

Yes, Sprint insists there is no issue in the area even though EVERYONE in the Club Dr area complains about this. The last ticket I had them put in was closed out with no resolution although 5 of my neighbors called during the same week to complain/cancel. We all have the exact same issues. Pleasant Hill, 5MB down. The minute you turn into Club Dr and pass the golf course, signal drops out completely, phone says "searching" and then switches between service and no service until you get to Herrington Rd. Data service is spotty unless you're up late at night or early in the morning.

When I'm tracking around town, I usually get 10 down or so.

Yes, Sprint insists there is no issue in the area even though EVERYONE in the Club Dr area complains about this. The last ticket I had them put in was closed out with no resolution although 5 of my neighbors called during the same week to complain/cancel. We all have the exact same issues. Pleasant Hill, 5MB down. The minute you turn into Club Dr and pass the golf course, signal drops out completely, phone says "searching" and then switches between service and no service until you get to Herrington Rd. Data service is spotty unless you're up late at night or early in the morning.

When I'm tracking around town, I usually get 10 down or so.

I know you said you called but did you speak to one of those 1st level techs or did you ask to speak to someone above them? It would seem like something is definitely wrong on the network side.  As far as tower upgrades, every tower in your area has been upgraded to at least nv 4g  with a few here and there that still needs to be upgraded on the 3g side even though it has already been upgraded to 4g. 

I know you said you called but did you speak to one of those 1st level techs or did you ask to speak to someone above them? It would seem like something is definitely wrong on the network side. As far as tower upgrades, every tower in your area has been upgraded to at least nv 4g with a few here and there that still needs to be upgraded on the 3g side even though it has already been upgraded to 4g.

I only spoke with first level reps who tell me they will put in a ticket and get back to me within 48 hours. I'll try to get someone higher on the phone. I visited the Sprint store yesterday and they put me on the phone with someone in tech support who says they will look into it. This is the speed I get when I leave the black hole that is Club Dr:

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I only spoke with first level reps who tell me they will put in a ticket and get back to me within 48 hours. I'll try to get someone higher on the phone. I visited the Sprint store yesterday and they put me on the phone with someone in tech support who says they will look into it. This is the speed I get when I leave the black hole that is Club Dr:

Come to think of it, the issue could also be that of capacity.  I have noticed some towers on my side of town will still give me 25 to 30meg down during the day but other towers in more conjested areas would barely get me to 2megs down during the day.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know when Ericsson is going to begin deploying 800 voice here in the Atlanta area?  I understand that there is one, lone tower barking out 800 mhz (in the Athens area, actually) but the rest of the towers remain on 1.9 ghz.    Anyone know when 800 mhz voice (and, beyond that, LTE on 800 mhz) will start going live?  

• 3 months later...

Anyone in the Norcross area suddenly having LTE speed issues?  I'm in Technology Park, and had great LTE speeds for quite a while, easily 10+ Mbps down and 2+ Mbps up.  Suddenly, they are awful.  Strangely enough, switching to 3G is much faster.  Right now, 4G is not as bad as it has been at 2.32 Mbps down and .46 Mbps up, while 3G is .5 Mbps down and .72 Mbps up, which is slower than previous tests of 3G.  I would assume capacity, but when 4G was bad, 3G was good.  Of course, I'm probably connecting to completely different towers at different times, given the number of them that are live with 4G near me, now.  Perhaps I should call Sprint, but I'm not sure how to convey the issue to them.  And, once I go a short distance away, speed improves a lot.

Edit:  Must be capacity on a particular tower.  I'm getting 796 ms ping, .02 Mbps down, and .05 Mbps up on 4G, right now, during lunch time.

They may be working on the towers. Maybe some Band 41.... ;)

I work at Atlantic Blvd and Holcomb Bridge and noticed good bars but not alot of speed.

Hoping it could just be tower upgrades.

Mav. :ninja:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in the Norcross area suddenly having LTE speed issues? I'm in Technology Park, and had great LTE speeds for quite a while, easily 10+ Mbps down and 2+ Mbps up. Suddenly, they are awful. Strangely enough, switching to 3G is much faster. Right now, 4G is not as bad as it has been at 2.32 Mbps down and .46 Mbps up, while 3G is .5 Mbps down and .72 Mbps up, which is slower than previous tests of 3G. I would assume capacity, but when 4G was bad, 3G was good. Of course, I'm probably connecting to completely different towers at different times, given the number of them that are live with 4G near me, now. Perhaps I should call Sprint, but I'm not sure how to convey the issue to them. And, once I go a short distance away, speed improves a lot.

Edit: Must be capacity on a particular tower. I'm getting 796 ms ping, .02 Mbps down, and .05 Mbps up on 4G, right now, during lunch time.

I work in the Technology park area as well. My speed issues were previously in Lawrenceville, but I haven't noticed speeds in Norcross getting worse. Particularly around the Old Peachtree Rd area where I'll lose LTE completely, phone says searching and drops to 3G. I'm starting to think these issues are indeed capacity related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheraton Hotel in downtown Atlanta this weekend. Good 4G LTE in my room with large windows.

But conference rooms deep inside the hotel have poor 3G connection. I am forced to listen to the speakers instead of surfing the internet on my phone. :(

• Like 1

I'm starting to think these issues are indeed capacity related.

They are.  Some areas, the one Band 25 LTE 5MHz channel is overloading.  Sprint is currently counting on Triband to alleviate the overburdening of Band 25.  But unfortunately, the iPhone 5 only does one Sprint LTE band.  Until Triband device adoption increases significantly and reduces the burden on Band 25, it will likely get worse.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

First Band 26 sites accepted in the Atlanta/Athens market. Details in the Premier Sponsor B26/LTE 800 thread.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...