Sprint & Tmobile

I agree.. but I think I saw that Falcone is under investigation fraud now.. not sure if thats going to help LS much. lol

Edit: Yup: http://www.investorp...aud/?cc=msnfeed

Well, the government is looking to free up spectrum, but I think they would much rather auction it off than give it away.

You're right, the fraud investigation will not help them one bit.

• Like 1

In my opinion, I don't think the FCC much cares whether there is three national carriers or four. What they don't want is there only to be two really strong carriers...drowning out competition.

A third strong competitor to VZW and ATT is a much better solution than two mediocre ones. I'm not saying that I am for the merger. And I'm not saying that a combined Tmo and S is a good idea. However, I do believe it can pass government scrutiny in the context it can bring better and more direct competition to the big two. So we shouldn't be so quick to rule it out on those grounds.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

In my opinion, I don't think the FCC much cares whether there is three national carriers or four. What they don't want is there only to be two really strong carriers...drowning out competition.

A third strong competitor to VZW and ATT is a much better solution than two mediocre ones. I'm not saying that I am for the merger. And I'm not saying that a combined Tmo and S is a good idea. However, I do believe it can pass government scrutiny in the context it can bring better and more direct competition to the big two. So we shouldn't be so quick to rule it out on those grounds.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I've thought this as well. The Gov't doesn't want the #1 or #2 player gobbling the #3 or #4 player. But the if #3 & #4 came together to form a competitor that go toe-to-toe with the two bigs, that would probably pass.

It's really more a matter of the finances. Could Sprint work out a financing scheme to buy out Tmo from DK? Or would it have to be DK ponying up to buy up Sprint? That's for all the fancy MBAs and lawyers to figure out.

I've thought this as well. The Gov't doesn't want the #1 or #2 player gobbling the #3 or #4 player. But the if #3 & #4 came together to form a competitor that go toe-to-toe with the two bigs, that would probably pass.

It's really more a matter of the finances. Could Sprint work out a financing scheme to buy out Tmo from DK? Or would it have to be DK ponying up to buy up Sprint? That's for all the fancy MBAs and lawyers to figure out.

Realistically, I would think Sprint would absorb T-Mobile and in return, DT would get a large share of equity in the newly formed company.

• Like 1

It would definitely be interesting to see that happen... Certainly would be a logistics nightmare, but T-Mobile's PCS spectrum could be of a lot of use to Sprint in a lot of markets. Not sure what would happen to the considerable amount of AWS spectrum that T-Mobile owns.... Perhaps future capacity?

Biggest problem would be merging the two networks of course. Since Sprint is deploying mutli-mode tower that certainly would help the transition, as they could support GSM in the for the next few years while people transition to the LTE/voLTE network. This is just something, that if actually happened, would take a lot of time. Not sure if Sprint would want to go through that after Nextel.

It would probably be better to first start with a network-share agreement to lead up to a merger.

One way it can work is that Sprint deploys LTE along with T-Mo's AWS, and T-Mobile deploys LTE along with Sprint's PCS. This will be in completely different markets so no two deploy in the same market. Since both of them are deploying multi-modal equipment, this should be very much possible.

Sprint's deployment plan will be used in such a agreement, in which Sprint deploys in Round 1 & 3 markets, and T-Mobile deploys in Round 2 & 4 markets.

They will continue to compete as separate entities throughout the buildout and would have seemless LTE experience while moving through different markets.

After this is completed, VoLTE should be viable, thus the adoption of LTE-Only devices can start. CDMA and GSM subscribers will be moved unto LTE devices and will begin shutting down those legacy services(excluding T-Mobile's rural GPRS/EDGE only network until a later time).

This would be the american equivalent of

220px-Everything_Everywhere_logo.png

(theoretical of course :D )

Realistically, I would think Sprint would absorb T-Mobile and in return, DT would get a large share of equity in the newly formed company.

If T-Mobile was CDMA and not GSM, then i think this would be a possibility, but with everything going in in NV, Sprint just needs to get their house in order.

The play to make a few years ago would have been an Alltel merger...

It would probably be better to first start with a network-share agreement to lead up to a merger.

One way it can work is that Sprint deploys LTE along with T-Mo's AWS, and T-Mobile deploys LTE along with Sprint's PCS. This will be in completely different markets so no two deploy in the same market. Since both of them are deploying multi-modal equipment, this should be very much possible.

Sprint's deployment plan will be used in such a agreement, in which Sprint deploys in Round 1 & 3 markets, and T-Mobile deploys in Round 2 & 4 markets.

They will continue to compete as separate entities throughout the buildout and would have seemless LTE experience while moving through different markets.

After this is completed, VoLTE should be viable, thus the adoption of LTE-Only devices can start. CDMA and GSM subscribers will be moved unto LTE devices and will begin shutting down those legacy services(excluding T-Mobile's rural GPRS/EDGE only network until a later time).

This would be the american equivalent of

220px-Everything_Everywhere_logo.png

(theoretical of course :D )

Wouldn't Sprint need additional antennas for the AWS spectrum?

It's really more a matter of the finances. Could Sprint work out a financing scheme to buy out Tmo from DK? Or would it have to be DK ponying up to buy up Sprint?

Donkey Kong? :o

Yes,i agree with this. I think if Sprint's stock can continue its upward trajectory this possibility becomes more and more feasible.

It would definitely be interesting to see that happen... Certainly would be a logistics nightmare, but T-Mobile's PCS spectrum could be of a lot of use to Sprint in a lot of markets. Not sure what would happen to the considerable amount of AWS spectrum that T-Mobile owns.... Perhaps future capacity?

Biggest problem would be merging the two networks of course. Since Sprint is deploying mutli-mode tower that certainly would help the transition, as they could support GSM in the for the next few years while people transition to the LTE/voLTE network. This is just something, that if actually happened, would take a lot of time. Not sure if Sprint would want to go through that after Nextel.

Well there are spots here and there where one company offers native coverage and the other didn't. However, there would naturally be a TON of redundant cell site reductions. Since T-Mobile is clearing AWS for LTE anyway I'd let them keep doing that and let Sprint continue deploying its nascent LTE network on g-block PCS and SMR. Phase out GSM altogether and continue running their legacy networks (UMTS & CDMA) on their A-F PCS spectrum as well as the single carrier of 1x advanced on SMR. Handsets might be a bit of a nightmare initially until everything is all LTE on all spectrum. I'm not sure how Clearwire would fit in. They might be the loser in this theoretical tie-up as the combined company's spectrum position would be pretty strong.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

For the amount of equity that DT would likely expect it still would probably be more cost effective to snatch up Leap and Metro.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, absolutely. That is the only solution for cash strapped Sprint. They could probably borrow a couple billion to go along with the equity, but you have to ask where or how this solution factors into DT's goal for Tmobile? Tmobile has not , to my knowledge, actually posted a "loss" financially in a very long time. They just aren't as profitable as DT wanted them to be, hence the urge to sell and be done last year. Taking a giant stake in Sprint just gives them a seat at the investor's table of a company that has been writing its value down for years. Not beating Sprint up, but becoming part of Sprint in no way gets them off the hook for effort or involvement. They would simply become part of Sprint's pursuit of profitability and whatever value their standalone company had would now be subject to Sprint's risk.

More specifically, if you look at merger costs, you have to ask what synergies would be gained and how do those synergies offset the typical costs each company experiences. Outside of merging call centers and consolidating the retail and corporate overhead, you have little to no immediate network savings. Re-branding is also very expensive. The networks would be run side by side and billions of additional funding would be need to consolidate/overhaul the towers (to cut costs) but also increase capacity in markets.

Needless to say, the merged entity would not be profitable for quite some time, farther into the future than sprint currently believes it will return to profitability.

So again, how does that fit into DT's goals? At this point, I think they're focused on charging ahead as a viable competitor as they wait for another buyer who has copious amounts of "cash on the barrelhead" to send to Germany and release them from the trouble.

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely. That is the only solution for cash strapped Sprint. They could probably borrow a couple billion to go along with the equity, but you have to ask where or how this solution factors into DT's goal for Tmobile? Tmobile has not , to my knowledge, actually posted a "loss" financially in a very long time. They just aren't as profitable as DT wanted them to be, hence the urge to sell and be done last year. Taking a giant stake in Sprint just gives them a seat at the investor's table of a company that has been writing its value down for years. Not beating Sprint up, but becoming part of Sprint in no way gets them off the hook for effort or involvement. They would simply become part of Sprint's pursuit of profitability and whatever value their standalone company had would now be subject to Sprint's risk.

More specifically, if you look at merger costs, you have to ask what synergies would be gained and how do those synergies offset the typical costs each company experiences. Outside of merging call centers and consolidating the retail and corporate overhead, you have little to no immediate network savings. Re-branding is also very expensive. The networks would be run side by side and billions of additional funding would be need to consolidate/overhaul the towers (to cut costs) but also increase capacity in markets.

Needless to say, the merged entity would not be profitable for quite some time, farther into the future than sprint currently believes it will return to profitability.

So again, how does that fit into DT's goals? At this point, I think they're focused on charging ahead as a viable competitor as they wait for another buyer who has copious amounts of "cash on the barrelhead" to send to Germany and release them from the trouble.

Agree completely, this does assume however, that T-Mobile continues to be at least somewhat profitable. If they continue their losses in subs, it may not seem like such a risk to have a stake in Sprint given that they're currently growing. One other thing that I would think could be beneficial is that Sprint already has a deal for the iPhone with a fixed commitment. This would save T-Mobile from needing to get their own deal with Apple, no?

Agree completely' date=' this does assume however, that T-Mobile continues to be at least somewhat profitable. If they continue their losses in subs, it may not seem like such a risk to have a stake in Sprint given that they're currently growing. One other thing that I would think could be beneficial is that Sprint already has a deal for the iPhone with a fixed commitment. This would save T-Mobile from needing to get their own deal with Apple, no?[/quote']

Maybe. Would mean two different network configurations would be shipped to the same company. All depends on the contract. Apple may have written it to only apply to one configuration prep per generation. Seeing sprint sell it on virgin is good evidence that Hesse and co signed a solid workable agreement, but who knows.

And yes, tmobile must grow or increase arpu in order to avoid losses as they charge forward with network and overhead increases

I don't care about the logo, but can we get the pretty girl in the pink dress? :unsure:

How about a compromise? Dan Hesse would remain the Sprint spokesman, but he would wear the pink dress.

AJ

• Like 3

How about a compromise? Dan Hesse would remain the Sprint spokesman, but he would wear the pink dress.

AJ

so you want him to start wearing is weekend attire to the office?

;)

so you want him to start wearing is weekend attire to the office?

;)

His name is Hesse, not Hoover.

;)

AJ

• Like 3