Sprint & Tmobile

Rumors on street Tmobile is looking to buy or merge with Sprint. I think buy is out of question unless i am missing something...

How will the merger work if it happens..with Tmobile and sprint operating different kind of networks(remember Nextel)? how does it help them?? Anyone here know what spectrum Tmobile owns??? also tmobile plans to sell its towers for 2billion..i think that can help the merged carriers with consolidation and cash infusion..

i think these are just rumors..but i am curious about possibilities...

does it work to Sprints advantage to merge with Tmobile or kill them by competing??

I heard last time these two companies talked about merger it fell apart on questions about who will lead. How can possibly Tmobile dream about leading the merged companies???

Rumors on street Tmobile is looking to buy or merge with Sprint. I think buy is out of question unless i am missing something...

How will the merger work if it happens..with Tmobile and sprint operating different kind of networks(remember Nextel)? how does it help them?? Anyone here know what spectrum Tmobile owns??? also tmobile plans to sell its towers for 2billion..i think that can help the merged carriers with consolidation and cash infusion..

i think these are just rumors..but i am curious about possibilities...

does it work to Sprints advantage to merge with Tmobile or kill them by competing??

I heard last time these two companies talked about merger it fell apart on questions about who will lead. How can possibly Tmobile dream about leading the merged companies???

Old news!! Sprint nor T-Mobile are interested in a merger or buyout!!

This is bubbling up again? I thought the last attempt because the price got too high. I still think a merger wouldn't pass this soon after the att failure. A network sharing deal still seems like the better alternative.

Sent from my Acer A200 using Forum Runner

This is not old news...read any article about Tmobile CEO leaving and they are mentioning Tmobile is looking for merger.

Truly it is. Dan Hesse has already dismissed the idea in the past making almost any deal very unlikely.

How about Clearwire and T-Mobile?

I just do not see sprint letting that spectrum go to a competitor unless it is because FCC wants them to divest once they buy out clearwire. Sprint needs that spectrum to stay competitive. Sprint would be in the worse position when it comes to spectrum if they lose it. And from what Robert explains on sprint's capacity plans, it seems heavily relied on that spectrum.

I also do not see a Sprint/Tmobile merger passing the FCC or DOJ. They seem pretty much dead set on having at least 4 national competitors. Maybe a Metro/Tmobile or Metro/Sprint would work, but not a deal that would consolidate the big 4. Plus Tmobile has already made plans to use 1700mhz for LTE and 1900mhz for HSPA+, while Sprint is using 1900 for LTE.

I just do not see sprint letting that spectrum go to a competitor unless it is because FCC wants them to divest once they buy out clearwire. Sprint needs that spectrum to stay competitive. Sprint would be in the worse position when it comes to spectrum if they lose it. And from what Robert explains on sprint's capacity plans, it seems heavily relied on that spectrum.

I also do not see a Sprint/Tmobile merger passing the FCC or DOJ. They seem pretty much dead set on having at least 4 national competitors. Maybe a Metro/Tmobile or Metro/Sprint would work, but not a deal that would consolidate the big 4. Plus Tmobile has already made plans to use 1700mhz for LTE and 1900mhz for HSPA+, while Sprint is using 1900 for LTE.

Surprisingly, Clearwire and T-Mobile are both headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. If they do happen to merge with each other, it should be an easy transition to move most of the existing Clearwire Employees to T-Mobile Headquarters.

I remember when Sprint bought Nextel that it was a hard transition because both companies were in two different states. They did a lot of moving and relocating.

It is a fact that Sprint and T-Mobile have very compatible spectrum http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-33-spectrum-analysis-part-twosprint-and-t-mobile-spare-pcs-spectrum-would-pair-nicely-for-a-lte-partnership/ and a spectrum sharing deal would give them flexibility to build out a strong LTE network in the PCS band.

It is also known that Deutche Telekom wants to exit the US market and sell off T-Mobile USA.

Sprint is in no shape financially, to buy T-Mobile. Deutche Telekom is surely not interested in buying Sprint. As Chad states, the FCC and DOJ are probably not going to allow it anyway.

I think the quote is simply a passing thought or speculation by someone who knows little to nothing about the logistics of combining a GSM company that was committed to HSPA+, but changed their mind and is now deploying LTE, (possibly to put the company in better shape for a future sale) and a CDMA company devoted to CDMA 1xA and LTE for the forseeable future.

I would say that the direction that Verizon is going with VoLTE, would put them as a possible buyer, but we can pretty much count on the government blocking that sale.

T-Mobile is going to have to figure out something with Dish or Clearwire in order for them to remain competitive.

Surprisingly, Clearwire and T-Mobile are both headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. If they do happen to merge with each other, it should be an easy transition to move most of the existing Clearwire Employees to T-Mobile Headquarters.

I remember when Sprint bought Nextel that it was a hard transition because both companies were in two different states.

As Chad said, no way, no how, not going to happen. I don't care if they share the same building, Sprint is not going to let Clearwire out of their grasp. They need Clearwire for urban offloading. And Sprint has enough stake in the company to block any sale or merger.

As Chad said, no way, no how, not going to happen. I don't care if they share the same building, Sprint is not going to let Clearwire out of their grasp. They need Clearwire for urban offloading. And Sprint has enough stake in the company to block any sale or merger.

Does anyone cares about LightSquared anymore?

I think they are watching to see if LightSquared can pull the miracle of all miracles and get spectrum from the DoD in exchange for their nearly worthless spectrum. If that happens, LS will be the smoking blonde at the ball.

• Like 2

Proximity is unlikely to play a significant role in any merger proceedings.

I remember when Sprint bought Nextel that it was a hard transition because both companies were in two different states. They did a lot of moving and relocating.

Shuttling people between Reston and Overland Park, albeit a hassle, would not likely rank among the top 10 challenges that Sprint Nextel has had to face.

AJ

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't both carriers want to deploy lte advanced on 1900mhz?

T-Mobile is deploying LTE only in AWS 2100+1700 MHz spectrum and is refarming some of it PCS 1900 MHz spectrum from GSM to W-CDMA so as to be more iPhone compatible. T-Mobile currently has no plans to deploy LTE in PCS 1900 MHz.

AJ

• Like 1

I really like T-Mobile's spectrum position, especially compared to last week! And AJ beat me to it on their spectrum shuffle. It's not only about the Iphone, but should also make many more gsm world phones compatible and cheaper for T-Mobile to get.

I think they are watching to see if LightSquared can pull the miracle of all miracles and get spectrum from the DoD in exchange for their nearly worthless spectrum. If that happens, LS will be the smoking blonde at the ball.

I agree.. but I think I saw that Falcone is under investigation fraud now.. not sure if thats going to help LS much. lol

Edit: Yup: http://www.investorp...aud/?cc=msnfeed

They are a non factor currently. They have no spectrum that they can build their network on, they have already filed bankruptcy, and their only chance at survival is a spectrum swap with DOD spectrum. I do not even know if the FCC is even considering the swap or if the DOD would even want to do so.

LS spectrum holding cant hold a candle to Clearwire's spectrum holding, plus Sprint already owns 40-50% of Clearwire, while they have no ties to LS( other than their network hosting deal, which has been terminated). Why would they choose to partner with an independent company compared to a company they partially own?

Tmobile+Clearwire has very little chance of happening. A more likely deal would be sprint letting clear sign a deal with tmobile for hotspots where tmobile is over capacity.

I really like T-Mobile's spectrum position, especially compared to last week! And AJ beat me to it on their spectrum shuffle. It's not only about the Iphone, but should also make many more gsm world phones compatible and cheaper for T-Mobile to get.

I am not quite as bullish on T-Mobile's spectrum position -- even after multiple spectrum transactions this year. T-Mobile still has insufficient spectrum in some markets, excess spectrum in other markets. By comparison, Sprint has a far more level spectrum portfolio.

Above all else, keep in mind that federal regulators still have to approve the VZW-SpectrumCo-Cox transaction in order for this most recent spectrum swap to come to fruition for T-Mobile. I do believe now that the FCC will approve all of the pending spectrum transfers. But the DoJ may rightly halt the VZW-SpectrumCo-Cox deal because of the cross-marketing agreements that effectively reduce competition between telco and cable. If that part of the deal is blocked, the cable companies have said that they will not sell the spectrum alone. And that could put VZW, SpectrumCo, Cox, and T-Mobile all back to square one.

AJ