Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

I spotted a completed tower off i295 in between Normandy and Wilson Blvd. I believe it is broadcasting LTE but not yet accepted. I cant find many towers that aren't complete in Jacksonville anymore. Atleast in the areas that I travel. I just wish the EVO's radio wasn't so weak I bet Sprint's LTE coverage is pretty good around town. I also agree that we will see 2600 LTE before 800 LTE or even CDMA 800. Driving around town Clearwire has some sites in some areas where Sprint doesn't some highly populated areas too. Softbank's plan to put 2600 LTE on all/most towers is a brilliant idea.

They were working on this tower about three weeks ago on a Thursday

• Like 1

I had to swap out my Airave 1.0 for a 2.5 model yesterday. While speaking with the guy on the phone and waiting for the Airave to do it's thing and startup I inquired about the signal issues in my area.

The tower at Brannan Field/Old Jennings Rd will be lit sometime in the next 6 months, at least with what he could see. This makes sense with St Vincents opening the hospital here. You can sit at that intersection and bounce from strong 4G LTE, to -90 RSSI on 1X and back.

This is 3/4 to 1 mile from my house and should finally kill the need for the Airave. I've been waiting on that site forever, especially considering the signal strengths I get just 1/4 mile north/east/south/west of my house. The highlighted area is my neighborhood, AKA, crapshoot signal central.

Best news I've heard of in a long time, stoked to see how it performs. I've been patient with Sprint, frustrated at times, but I'm not going to carrier hop. The customer service I've had is the best I've seen with the different carriers (I've dealt with all being in IT over the years)

Red star is my neighborhood, green arrow is the tower location.

post-3754-0-51531700-1380762312_thumb.jpg

Anyone else seeing issues with downtown? I have to cycle airplane mode a few times every other day to get a solid signal as it keeps bouncing between 3G and 4G. This started a week or so ago.

I had to swap out my Airave 1.0 for a 2.5 model yesterday. While speaking with the guy on the phone and waiting for the Airave to do it's thing and startup I inquired about the signal issues in my area.

The tower at Brannan Field/Old Jennings Rd will be lit sometime in the next 6 months, at least with what he could see. This makes sense with St Vincents opening the hospital here. You can sit at that intersection and bounce from strong 4G LTE, to -90 RSSI on 1X and back.

This is 3/4 to 1 mile from my house and should finally kill the need for the Airave. I've been waiting on that site forever, especially considering the signal strengths I get just 1/4 mile north/east/south/west of my house. The highlighted area is my neighborhood, AKA, crapshoot signal central.

Best news I've heard of in a long time, stoked to see how it performs. I've been patient with Sprint, frustrated at times, but I'm not going to carrier hop. The customer service I've had is the best I've seen with the different carriers (I've dealt with all being in IT over the years)

Red star is my neighborhood, green arrow is the tower location.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

Anyone else seeing issues with downtown? I have to cycle airplane mode a few times every other day to get a solid signal as it keeps bouncing between 3G and 4G. This started a week or so ago.

The towers in that area are already done and has been for months. The only tower left in that area is the one down the road from the Winn Dixie in Middleburg on the corner of 218 and Blanding. Also what device are you using? If it's the evo LTE you may not pickup LTE signal in your home until you get another device. I get LTE signal until I go indoors then back to 3g. My cousin on his s4 gets signal in more places an I do.

The tower at brannan field and old jennings has not been turned on yet. There has never been any signal originating from there.

I have a Galaxy S3. I do not get signal in my driveway or back yard, let alone inside my house. No 1x, no cdma, no LTE. It might flash for a few seconds every now and then, but never better than -90 RSSI on 1X, forget LTE.

So no, not phone related. It is a signal shaping issue. The new tower should fix that.

The tower at brannan field and old jennings has not been turned on yet. There has never been any signal originating from there.

I have a Galaxy S3. I do not get signal in my driveway or back yard, let alone inside my house. No 1x, no cdma, no LTE. It might flash for a few seconds every now and then, but never better than -90 RSSI on 1X, forget LTE.

So no, not phone related. It is a signal shaping issue. The new tower should fix that.

The only site that is on that intersection is that flag pole which has panels and base station equipment and has had it for a while. If in fact it is a sprint site (according to Roberts database it isn't) more than likely it will be a GMO site. All the towers that are on your screenshot of the Sprint site is 3g/4g accepted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

It is a SBA tower:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/details.php?id=1278769

http://map.sbasite.com/SiteInfo.aspx?SiteCode=FL14573-A

I had a list somewhere that hinted/showed that it was being leased to Sprint.

If you ever come out this way, let me know and I'll introduce you to the black hole.

It does look like it will be a GMO, and the rep did state 1900Mhz.

*not complaining on coverage. The new tower being turned on in the next 6 months made my week! (as far as cell phones go lol)

Edited by jdray

It is a SBA tower:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/details.php?id=1278769

http://map.sbasite.com/SiteInfo.aspx?SiteCode=FL14573-A

I had a list somewhere that hinted/showed that it was being leased to Sprint.

If you ever come out this way, let me know and I'll introduce you to the black hole.

It does look like it will be a GMO, and the rep did state 1900Mhz.

*not complaining on coverage. The new tower being turned on in the next 6 months made my week! (as far as cell phones go lol)

I'm out that way five days a week. I work in the area. Maybe Robert should add this site to his database. The whole city is a black hole for my Evo and I. I can't wait to get a new phone and when that tower comes online you should have LTE at your home.

Well tropical storm karen decided to turn and now is headed straight for the Jacksonville market :( Gainesville and Ocala is directly in the line of fire. I guess we can expect a very slow network rollout this month. Damn it all

Well tropical storm karen decided to turn and now is headed straight for the Jacksonville market :( Gainesville and Ocala is directly in the line of fire. I guess we can expect a very slow network rollout this month. Damn it all

I wouldn't have known it was coming this way if you hadn't mentioned it here lol.  I think it's my turn to plan a tropical storm party amongst the friends lol. 

• Like 2

Karen has dissipated as of the 11AM EDT bulletin.

Think I really need to pick up a phone other than the HTC Evo LTE.... Love the phone, but everytime I look at the Sensorly map for Jacksonville and Ocala I see that someone elses phone is getting LTE in areas that my phone could never do.  

• Like 1

This is true. It is a terrible mapping phone. G2 and nexus 5 right around the corner.

Think I really need to pick up a phone other than the HTC Evo LTE.... Love the phone, but everytime I look at the Sensorly map for Jacksonville and Ocala I see that someone elses phone is getting LTE in areas that my phone could never do.

I'm on one of the few towers left in town considered in progress.  I called several weeks ago to inquire when it would be ready, and the rep said that it was already LTE capable but the signal was "operating at 80% efficiency", so it wasn't putting out LTE signal.  Apparently tickets were created and pinpoints were made and long story short, I've been dealing with a runaround for three weeks.  I was supposed to get a call from engineers (I didn't request this) that never happened, and the "technical support" lady gave me a 'direct' number that didn't even go to the same department  :D   I'm currently enjoying some of the slowest 3g speeds that I've ever gotten (last test was a 460ms ping, and a d/l of 0.13 mbps).  Getting pretty discouraged with all of this, and not super pleased with customer service to boot.  

Is what they said about this tower just a line, or does it have any truth to it?  I'd really like to know before I give up and go to Verizon this week.

I have called sprint plenty of time and they always say there will be a call back and it never is. I got a call back once like a year ago. There technical support is as useless as Sprint reps in my opinion.

I'm on one of the few towers left in town considered in progress. I called several weeks ago to inquire when it would be ready, and the rep said that it was already LTE capable but the signal was "operating at 80% efficiency", so it wasn't putting out LTE signal. Apparently tickets were created and pinpoints were made and long story short, I've been dealing with a runaround for three weeks. I was supposed to get a call from engineers (I didn't request this) that never happened, and the "technical support" lady gave me a 'direct' number that didn't even go to the same department :D I'm currently enjoying some of the slowest 3g speeds that I've ever gotten (last test was a 460ms ping, and a d/l of 0.13 mbps). Getting pretty discouraged with all of this, and not super pleased with customer service to boot.

Is what they said about this tower just a line, or does it have any truth to it? I'd really like to know before I give up and go to Verizon this week.

Today I'm at work and I'm trying to make a phone call and the call would not go through at all. My phone showed bars but when I placed a call it did nothing. So I'm driving down the road past the sprint site and saw workers adding NV panels. The strange thing is that the workers removed the legacy gear while they were installing the panels. Has anyone here seen this before?

I know usually sprint installs the NV gear then at a later date then remove legacy equipment when the site is 3g accepted.

I seen this on one of the very first towers in Ocala. It seems uncommon but every contractor like to do things different.

Today I'm at work and I'm trying to make a phone call and the call would not go through at all. My phone showed bars but when I placed a call it did nothing. So I'm driving down the road past the sprint site and saw workers adding NV panels. The strange thing is that the workers removed the legacy gear while they were installing the panels. Has anyone here seen this before?

I know usually sprint installs the NV gear then at a later date then remove legacy equipment when the site is 3g accepted.

• Like 1

I actually had a chance to speak with the person in charge of my home tower. The first thing I found out is that in the whole city of Ocala my tower is the only tower owned by the city and all others are Marion County. The next thing I found out is the last time she heard from sprint was a email they gave her saying that my tower needed restructuring back in January and they have been silent ever sense. Unfortunately she told me that my tower will probably not be upgraded anytime soon since they have yet to get back at her. Then she told me sucks to be on Sprint. I couldn't believe she said that lol

Noticed some LTE outside of UNF's gym today.  Haven't noticed a signal there before (-116dBm) so I assume it's either from a new tower broadcasting or they are adjusting the downtilt.

After leaving the gym I couldn't get a signal again so I'm leaning towards them testing new panels on a different tower. 

• Like 1

Could be....and I'm hoping too....I get lte in a spot on my couch and a better signal in my office up on a Window. However no lte in the back yard and very week on the drive way. Funny. I noticed one thing on the sponsor maps. There is a tower on Atlantic&Kernan shown in the Florida maps...but on the completed & in progress maps is not shown....only 9a&beech is done and Kernan&beach in progress.

I hope when they are all done I get steady 4g in the whole house.....I had good wimax and my wife still had the og evo and wimax so I'm making her wait for lg2 ...but I have to wait another year so I hope 4g will be good in Sutton lakes just on the one band so I can finely get me some speeds higher then .5 mb

Noticed some LTE outside of UNF's gym today. Haven't noticed a signal there before (-116dBm) so I assume it's either from a new tower broadcasting or they are adjusting the downtilt.

After leaving the gym I couldn't get a signal again so I'm leaning towards them testing new panels on a different tower.

You must have picked up a faint signal from the site a bit north on the next exit (off 9A). I drive by it all the time and it's only been live for 3ish weeks now.

Saturday I was at Petsmart at the Town Center and actually got a decent 3G signal. I didn't try other areas since we had our dog with us, but usually my 3G is nearly nonexistent at the Town Center.