Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

Yup something is going on....I was about to post and complain but as I was reading the forum pages......woopaa 4g just poped up on its own. The signal is weak in the house and even on my porch and 3g is weak still...but I have hope once again....hopefully soon all towers around the black hole will make me get decent 4g lte or 3g in my house.....

I gotta tell you guys I just went on a 2 hour trip in my city with a sprint and Verizon phones I had the gs3 and the EVO LTE and my friend had the rezound and the LG ally on Verizon and the difference between networks I would have never guessed how severely Verizon smokes sprint in coverage around here. Verizon never lost LTE even in some of the most rural areas and sprint was roaming on both phones. 4g LTE is spotty and really suffers indoors if your not close to a tower. 3g is worse. Pandora went non stop for 3g even when in rural coverage for Verizon and sprint would not play at all even on the lowest stream setting. Verizon was on the highest streaming setting the whole trip on 3g and never once buffered. The reason we did this is because he is on verzion unlimited and he broke his phone so he needs a new one but he doesn't want to lose unlimited so I told him to switch to sprint but at his house he was roaming on sprint and Verizon had 3-4 bars of service. My tmobile hotspot was on edge so the only carrier to test is att. I was just shocked at how much coverage and reliablity sprint doesn't have in my city compared to the competition. I can't wait to test the 800 smr spectrum when they finish there network nationwide and see the improvements first hand. That will be like Christmas to me.

I gotta tell you guys I just went on a 2 hour trip in my city with a sprint and Verizon phones I had the gs3 and the EVO LTE and my friend had the rezound and the LG ally on Verizon and the difference between networks I would have never guessed how severely Verizon smokes sprint in coverage around here. Verizon never lost LTE even in some of the most rural areas and sprint was roaming on both phones. 4g LTE is spotty and really suffers indoors if your not close to a tower. 3g is worse. Pandora went non stop for 3g even when in rural coverage for Verizon and sprint would not play at all even on the lowest stream setting. Verizon was on the highest streaming setting the whole trip on 3g and never once buffered. The reason we did this is because he is on verzion unlimited and he broke his phone so he needs a new one but he doesn't want to lose unlimited so I told him to switch to sprint but at his house he was roaming on sprint and Verizon had 3-4 bars of service. My tmobile hotspot was on edge so the only carrier to test is att. I was just shocked at how much coverage and reliablity sprint doesn't have in my city compared to the competition. I can't wait to test the 800 smr spectrum when they finish there network nationwide and see the improvements first hand. That will be like Christmas to me.

Nice experiment I wish I had phones on different carriers to compare to sprint. I would not use the EVO LTE as a measuring stick for Sprint. The rf performance is probably the worst of all sprint devices. I would have tried to get my hands on a note 2. My sprint coverage is good in jax my only complaint is building penetration but that may be a prob with the EVO LTE also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Oh Verizon by far has the best coverage of any carrier.  Sprint and AT&T are competitive in many areas, and when 800mhz lights up it'll be a different story.  T-Mobile's in-building penetration and sans-city coverage is a joke, but I have noticed that they are really good around TownCenter. 

I use the EVO LTE and the GS3 and normally the GS3 had would hold a LTE signal for a mile longer than sprint but building penetration it was only a tad bit better and loved to hold on to almost unusable LTE signals. I will try att with my sisters galaxy note 2 soon. On her note 2 she averaged 9down and 2up last time I checked and she is in a rural area. Sprint has 1 bar of LTE on my EVO of course since the EVO sucks at rf. On LTE she gets 15-35 on average and 8-10 up inside at that. My phone didn't stand a chance with 2-3 bars of 3g and no LTE indoors but I want to check att coverage first hand compared to sprint. I will be in Tampa tomorrow though and I hear they have more LTE coverage than any other Florida market

Nice experiment I wish I had phones on different carriers to compare to sprint. I would not use the EVO LTE as a measuring stick for Sprint. The rf performance is probably the worst of all sprint devices. I would have tried to get my hands on a note 2. My sprint coverage is good in jax my only complaint is building penetration but that may be a prob with the EVO LTE also.

Since none of the new phones that I want isn't tri band I've been thinking about buying a note 2 off of Craig's list. With this Evo I'll be in locations that I know has LTE but my phone will not connect. Also I've noticed that the evo will not latch on to weak signals you have to be connected in a strong signal area first then travel to the weaker signal area for lte to stay connected the whole time.

Yeah the EVO is a good phone limited by its terrible radio

Since none of the new phones that I want isn't tri band I've been thinking about buying a note 2 off of Craig's list. With this Evo I'll be in locations that I know has LTE but my phone will not connect. Also I've noticed that the evo will not latch on to weak signals you have to be connected in a strong signal area first then travel to the weaker signal area for lte to stay connected the whole time.

• Like 1

I'm Tampa and I have to say its not fair how much LTE they have over here I tell you. Even on my EVO LTE the LTE signal won't drop

Oh I know.  It was hard to leave there and move to Jacksonville lol.  Felt like I stepped back a year in NV lol. 

• Like 1

Yup it Sucks....I just caught lte the to her day but either inside my house or outside my gs3 barely holds on lte ...and 3g is still slow as ever under half a Meg...200k-300kb with almost no speed sometimes.....I phone 5s on att got 20mb in my house....even my dad's 4s gets like 3-4mb

Yup it Sucks....I just caught lte the to her day but either inside my house or outside my gs3 barely holds on lte ...and 3g is still slow as ever under half a Meg...200k-300kb with almost no speed sometimes.....I phone 5s on att got 20mb in my house....even my dad's 4s gets like 3-4mb

I picked up LTE in Arlington near JU for the first time last weekend. I also noticed on the ride home that I was getting it on more of 295. I was even on LTE on 295 between UNF and the Town Center. I guess I would have heard if anyone was getting LTE at the town center, but it has to be getting close. Beach Blvd is now mostly covered as well. Nice to see progress. 

I picked up LTE in Arlington near JU for the first time last weekend. I also noticed on the ride home that I was getting it on more of 295. I was even on LTE on 295 between UNF and the Town Center. I guess I would have heard if anyone was getting LTE at the town center, but it has to be getting close. Beach Blvd is now mostly covered as well. Nice to see progress. 

I think the tower is a little far out to cover Town Center, but it is encouraging that it is creeping closer. 

My route to work this morning takes me northbound on Beach to 295 to JTB West to Gate Parkway. I didnt pick up LTE at any point, so it appears the LTE signal still ends around Beach/Kernan and does not cover the Town Center area.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

There were sites along jtb and university blvd areas that went live last week that's why you all are seeing new coverage. The gaps in coverage are slowly filling in. They may even disappear with 2600 coming online soon and 800 before the end of the year. So hold off on upgrading until tri band devices are released.

There were sites along jtb and university blvd areas that went live last week that's why you all are seeing new coverage. The gaps in coverage are slowly filling in. They may even disappear with 2600 coming online soon and 800 before the end of the year. So hold off on upgrading until tri band devices are released.

Oh yeah, Jacksonville is going to look even nicer soon. ;)
  • Like 1

Well, today I saw some workers installing RRU's on a clear only site. This is great news I cant wait to get my hands on a Tri-Band device to test these sites out and experience super fast lte with unlimited data.

Where was this Clear site? I have a Tri-band hotspot and have been actively searching for 2.5ghz LTE (aka Clear LTE) on Jax.

Are there any other HTC EVO 4g lte owners in here who have received the most recent OTA update? Apparently one of the fixes is for LTE connectivity. Just wondering if anyone has it and if so, if they notice that their phone picks up LTE any better.

Are there any other HTC EVO 4g lte owners in here who have received the most recent OTA update? Apparently one of the fixes is for LTE connectivity. Just wondering if anyone has it and if so, if they notice that their phone picks up LTE any better.

The last update I received was months ago. I'm able to actually connect to LTE without cycling airplane mode.

The last update I received was months ago. I'm able to actually connect to LTE without cycling airplane mode.

Well, there is a new update that started getting pushed out over a week ago. We aren't getting 4.3, but supposedly it's a minor update that sounds like it will be beneficial. I want to update so i can root with the last update this phone will ever see.