Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

Something strange is going on. In the Ocala area Robert has 3 LTE towers that have been accepted this month and none of them are live. I have been to all 3 and can see that the new panels and ruus and fiber is present but I wonder why they are not on when normally they come on right away

Something strange is going on. In the Ocala area Robert has 3 LTE towers that have been accepted this month and none of them are live. I have been to all 3 and can see that the new panels and ruus and fiber is present but I wonder why they are not on when normally they come on right away

This usually happens to me in Jacksonville. The site is accepted then it takes days up to two Weeks for the signal to become active. I believe Robert spoke about this in a thread here before.

from what I've gathered they'll accept a site so the contractor gets paid however they won't turn it on until the backhaul is installed. 

so blame whoever is running fiber

At that tower it could be century link, cox, or brighthouse

One of the 3 towers went live today so that's good considering it was accepted Monday

Which tower went live today? Was it in Jacksonville Proper or metro? I'm a sponsor and didn't see anything on any of the interactive maps. Has it been officially reported?

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

• Like 1

I'm talking about the Ocala, Fl area. They had 3 towers accepted with LTE and none have been on in weeks. The newest one was a 4G only tower and it was accepted Monday and went live today. Site omitted

Which tower went live today? Was it in Jacksonville Proper or metro? I'm a sponsor and didn't see anything on any of the interactive maps. Has it been officially reported? Sent from my Sprint iPhone 5, not the old one (using Tapatalk 2).

I'm talking about the Ocala, Fl area. They had 3 towers accepted with LTE and none have been on in weeks. The newest one was a 4G only tower and it was accepted Monday and went live today. Site omitted

I see 8 in the immediate area? Unless you mean 3 that have been accepted recently. 

Definitely wont find COX running back haul in the Duval area. Gainesville area yes, and CenturyLink

(Use to work for COX)

I assume that means either AT&T or Comcast is running back haul in the Jax area then? Any idea who is actually doing it?

I assume that means either AT&T or Comcast is running back haul in the Jax area then? Any idea who is actually doing it?

Probably. AT&T had a major fiber laying project here in Jax years ago. The NV site half mile from my house has microwave backhaul but there's a pole in the parking lot grass that says call before digging fiber optic line underground and its AT&T.

I have a completed NV tower about 1.75 miles from me that gives me about -114dBm signal at my house which nets 6-12mbps downlink. It's not the closest tower to me, though. The closest is about 400 yards from my house, but it hasn't been upgraded to NV yet. Even so, I still get about 1.5-2.5mbps downlink from that legacy tower on EVDO. It's had nothing done to it. No NV equipment at all on the tower.

Now, whenever I go anywhere else in the city and get a decent LTE signal (better than -96dBm), it seems that I very rarely get a good downlink speed (usually slower than 2.5mbps). I'm still convinced this is mostly due to the NV towers that are completed being slammed with users, fighting for what little bandwidth is available. I really do hope this gets better as more NV towers come online. Same thing happens at the beach as well. Very slow LTE and EVDO.

The NV tower closest to my house will get me about 25mbps during peak hours if I drive up under it. If i'm directly under it, my signal drops drastically (due to downtilt).

I'm trying very hard to be as optimistic as possible about Sprint at this point. I know they're working hard, but with only 5x5 LTE carrier on PCS LTE and no 800mhz or 2.6ghz LTE in the next year or so, is this what we're always going to be dealing with in the city, even when all the towers are finished? I say this, because even in the Downtown/San Marco area, there are several finished towers in a close proximity, that are SUPER slow all times of the day with a very good LTE signal. EVDO on these NV towers are also slow, which leads me to believe they haven't turned the new 3G on yet on most of them, which is reflected in the interactive maps (most of them show 4G only) and EVDO is still operating on legacy equipment?

I live in the South San Marco / Lakewood area. It's much less densely populated than the Downtown/San Marco/Southbank/Riverside area. This is why I get a pretty good downlink on the closest NV tower to me, which is on Powers Ave. I live off San Jose blvd.

LTE and 1xA on 800SMR will help drastically, especially in these densely populated areas of Jax, but we'll probably really need Sprint/Clear's 2.5/2.6Ghz LTE to be competitive with the other 3 carriers in Jax as far as data speeds are concerned. I really wish Sprint deployed more than a 5x5 carrier on PCS.

• Like 1

Well they are starting on 800 and 2.5 now. So by the time the 1900 LTE starts to get slow their will be 800 and 2.5 will be online. People like me that has the first generation of LTE devices (evo lte, s3, viper, etc) will be up for upgrade and can choose from tri band devices.

Well they are starting on 800 and 2.5 now. So by the time the 1900 LTE starts to get slow their will be 800 and 2.5 will be online. People like me that has the first generation of LTE devices (evo lte, s3, viper, etc) will be up for upgrade and can choose from tri band devices.

Do we know if 800SMR CDMA/LTE and 2.6ghz TD-LTE have started being deployed in Jax? I haven't seen anything that would indicate work has started on these two bands yet in the Jax area. I could be wrong and sincerely hope that I am!!!!! Because I haven't heard of work being started on them, I gave it a year timetable.

BTW, if there is anything I can do to help the Jax Sprint 4GRU community, let me know. We own some great DSLR equipment with some very long lenses. I've been wanting to spend some time tower spotting in the area when I have time.

Do we know if 800SMR CDMA/LTE and 2.6ghz TD-LTE have started being deployed in Jax? I haven't seen anything that would indicate work has started on these two bands yet in the Jax area. I could be wrong and sincerely hope that I am!!!!! Because I haven't heard of work being started on them, I gave it a year timetable.

BTW, if there is anything I can do to help the Jax Sprint 4GRU community, let me know. We own some great DSLR equipment with some very long lenses. I've been wanting to spend some time tower spotting in the area when I have time.

I heard Sprint is about to start going all out on the 800 MHz rollout soon. It's only a matter of time before we see a ton of sites being turned on. What I'm concerned about is the lack of info we have for Clearwire rollout. Clearwire might have some TD LTE sites active in Jacksonville market but there's no way to tell unless you get one of these triband devices and see if you can connect. I've heard that Sprint will be Clearwires LTE on some Sprint sites for capacity but as far as a list of sites or rollout estimation, it's all up in the air as of now.

What you can do is flash the Digiblur PRL that prioritizes scans for CDMA 800 and buy the SignalCheck Pro app (designed by a member here.) And tell us if/when you connect to any 800mhz. ;)

I heard Sprint is about to start going all out on the 800 MHz rollout soon. It's only a matter of time before we see a ton of sites being turned on. What I'm concerned about is the lack of info we have for Clearwire rollout. Clearwire might have some TD LTE sites active in Jacksonville market but there's no way to tell unless you get one of these triband devices and see if you can connect. I've heard that Sprint will be Clearwires LTE on some Sprint sites for capacity but as far as a list of sites or rollout estimation, it's all up in the air as of now.

What you can do is flash the Digiblur PRL that prioritizes scans for CDMA 800 and buy the SignalCheck Pro app (designed by a member here.) And tell us if/when you connect to any 800mhz. ;)

Unfortunately, I have an iPhone 5. Isn't that for Android?

Unfortunately, I have an iPhone 5. Isn't that for Android?

I heard there's a way to write a PRL but it may involve jailbreaking. It'd take a Google search for me to see. I'm mobile at the moment but if you figure something out, let me know. ;)

Well all the nv towers deployed is capable of CDMA 800 and LTE 800. LTE 800 requires a trip to the base stations but CDMA 800 does not. It can be activated remotely it just requires 911 and interference testing. So it's only a matter of time before the LTE 800 is activated since the shut down of iden.

I heard there's a way to write a PRL but it may involve jailbreaking. It'd take a Google search for me to see. I'm mobile at the moment but if you figure something out, let me know. ;)

I do know that custom PRLs usually require JB. I don't JB, unfortunately. All I can do is use the FieldTest screen and keep looking at my connection to see if it switches from band 1 PCS to 800SMR.

I do know that custom PRLs usually require JB. I don't JB, unfortunately. All I can do is use the FieldTest screen and keep looking at my connection to see if it switches from band 1 PCS to 800SMR.

We'll have to wait for Sprint to release a stock PRL update for the IPhone that has smr scanning in it which could be released any day now. But a stock Sprint PRL will prioritize PCS over SMR because SMR is meant to be for backup. To check, you'll have to frequent areas with lack of 1900 coverage.