Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

Let's hear about updates on the Southside! Town Center, JTB, beach blvd, kernan, st. johns bluff, etc. Lots of homes in this area and no sensorly results. It is like a big black hole for LTE... funny thing is, Sprint has a busy store in the town center and even the 3G there is really poor. Is Sprint just updating existing towers or are they adding new towers in certain areas, too?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Let's hear about updates on the Southside! Town Center, JTB, beach blvd, kernan, st. johns bluff, etc. Lots of homes in this area and no sensorly results. It is like a big black hole for LTE... funny thing is, Sprint has a busy store in the town center and even the 3G there is really poor. Is Sprint just updating existing towers or are they adding new towers in certain areas, too?

Sprint is upgrading all existing towers. The towers in that area may already been upgraded but not accepted. From what I've seen after the site Is complete it usually takes about two months for them to come online. There's allot of sites sitting idle awaiting different things such as back haul, cabinets or even the panels themselves. Jacksonville is moving much faster than before.

Sounds good... just not sure they even have a tower in the Town Center area. When i am there on the weekends i cant get a data signal at all, cant send Mms, and can barely send text messages. I was hoping for a new tower altogether. Maybe one of the towers further away will cover the Town Center with LTE when it's all said and done.

The towers in that area are probably overloaded from the thousands of users in the area all the time. With NV the sites perform better under heavy load. I've been at the town center before and couldn't even do a Google search on a Friday night

I got LTE on my S3 on Monday from Butler and Southside, on 95 all the way through downtown... it dropped down briefly near the Trout River Bridge but then LTE picked up again as I approached the airport and past it before losing 4G...     

• Like 1

Wow this is crazy. I just saw panels being installed on this one site and this week its accepted and broacasting LTE signal. I wish all the sites would work out this way.

Looks like they had everything finished, except for the initial panel installation.  I agree, if they can get the backhaul in place prior to panel installation, it'd go much more smooth. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint officially launched Gainesville and Palatka and the surrounding rural areas today...    I got some LTE in Gainesville on Friday and along 24/301 heading back to JAX..   However, the signals near SFC ( Santa Fe) and the surrounding apartments where my son will be living while starting school there in August were not very good..   And that was for 3G as well and the maps do show an LTE hole in that area and the voice side quality is not good either...  I hope it can be improved....  Downtown Gainesville near UF was fine...   It also looks like a good bit of Putnam County including Palatka are on...  haven't been over that way in a while though...

Still spotty coverage in Jacksonville proper though 95 through town appears to be pretty good for LTE.. I get it also in spots on 295 though the Northside and on the Dames Point Bridge but I lose it once in Arlington....  I guess once they turn on more, they'll make Jacksonville official..

• Like 1

LTE800 won't help if your phone doesn't support it :-(

they still have MASSIVE holes in JAX's coverage, like all of Kernan, Hodges, and San Pablo. And south of Beach Blvd along the beaches. 

the upgraded towers out side of Mayport have made a WORLD of difference on base, especially within buildings.

they still have MASSIVE holes in JAX's coverage, like all of Kernan, Hodges, and San Pablo. And south of Beach Blvd along the beaches.

the upgraded towers out side of Mayport have made a WORLD of difference on base, especially within buildings.

The biggest concern I have is that there are coverage holes for even just voice calls surrounded by 4G towers. I know they have to build out new towers to cover some of those areas, but you would think that would be a priority to at least get voice coverage. And no, many of those dead zones have zero roaming options. When you struggle to get better than -95dbm good luck if you stand in the wrong spot to make a call.

So LTE does no good if there is no signal to begin with. Where there is LTE the speeds are good. Unless 800mhz can magically go twice as far as the current signals can, Sprint will have some patching to do just for voice.

The biggest concern I have is that there are coverage holes for even just voice calls surrounded by 4G towers. I know they have to build out new towers to cover some of those areas, but you would think that would be a priority to at least get voice coverage. And no, many of those dead zones have zero roaming options. When you struggle to get better than -95dbm good luck if you stand in the wrong spot to make a call.

So LTE does no good if there is no signal to begin with. Where there is LTE the speeds are good. Unless 800mhz can magically go twice as far as the current signals can, Sprint will have some patching to do just for voice.

CDMA 800 will help the majority of the voice coverage issues. From my experience with sprint in the Jacksonville area voice coverage is stellar the only issue I have is with signal strength inside of buildings (low signal or no signal). Other than that voice is fine.

There is good coverage with voice in most areas. However there are still voice coverage issues.

By my house is now limping at worse than -95dBm while LTE flies just a few blocks away. I've never gotten better than -87ish.

I cannot talk to my wife at her work on her cell phone. It drops constantly until she is a little ways away.

This is not a gripe, just an observation. At my job downtown I get excellent LTE all day long. Same with most of my drive to and from. Just saying that I had hoped that those holes I do experience would be better addressed, but the focus is on LTE only right now.

I can PM you two locations that are dead that my wife deals with daily and I've seen firsthand.

Back to the original subject, anyone else keep dropping LTE on I10 between stockton and I295? I've also been losing it on I295 through the westside. Orange Park is much stronger now though.

I get LTE when in near the i10/i95 interchange then a few miles down it drops. Then it picks back up once I get to 295. There's a couple towers in that area that isn't upgraded yet so I believe that's where the problem is. Coverage has gotten better over the last 4 months or so. Me personally I'm more excited about CDMA 800 more than anything.

I live in the Middleburg/clay hill area, and do not have any reception or data signal. Does anyone know if there will be any work done out here. I spoke to sprint on the phone about two months ago, and since my services have been worse...

I live in the Middleburg/clay hill area, and do not have any reception or data signal. Does anyone know if there will be any work done out here. I spoke to sprint on the phone about two months ago, and since my services have been worse...

There are towers in Middleburg all along Blanding but going down 218 to 301 is a dead zone I travel that way frequently and I roam constantly so you may be out of luck if you live in that area. Call sprint and get an Airave.

• Like 1

Well I am in a unique position with that. I wanted more land so I bought out here, then afterwards I learn they do not offer high speed out here so an airwave does bot work for me. I just recently acquired a mifi from Verizon. sad I had to purchase from another service provider to have internet at my house. But I guess u live and learn.

Well I am in a unique position with that. I wanted more land so I bought out here, then afterwards I learn they do not offer high speed out here so an airwave does bot work for me. I just recently acquired a mifi from Verizon. sad I had to purchase from another service provider to have internet at my house. But I guess u live and learn.

Well you are in awkward position as far as sprint service goes the only other hope you have is to hope that signal will reach your residents with the 800meg service. Other than that you may be S-o-l. Towers in the Middleburg area are stretched out pretty far resulting in signal loss especially in doors.