Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

The town center area is lacking. I was at the town center a couple times and couldn't do a Google search. I don't know why that area hadn't received upgrades yet. Most of the acceptance reports has been 3g acceptance to existing LTE accepted sites. Seems as if the rollout has stopped have you all seen any upgrades on the south side?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Haven't really been here long enough to observe whether or not there has actually been any progress.  I can rarely use my phone in Town Center as well though.  800mhz will be awesome here, both for the in-building coverage and added capacity. 

Haven't really been here long enough to observe whether or not there has actually been any progress. I can rarely use my phone in Town Center as well though. 800mhz will be awesome here, both for the in-building coverage and added capacity.

You came from the Tampa market right? If not which market and how it compares to Jacksonville?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

You came from the Tampa market right? If not which market and how it compares to Jacksonville?

Yeah I came from the Tampa market.  There are a few small holes in the Tampa NV upgrades, but for the most part it's hard to go anywhere and not get LTE.  More often than not you're connected to an upgraded tower.  There were a few popular and populated spots that weren't upgraded, but that's it really.

Here I think I've only connected to LTE a handful of times.  Mostly by the beach, but the signal was quickly lost when driving.  In Tampa the rollout was extensive enough, that it was easy to travel miles and just have LTE handoff from tower to tower. 

• Like 1

Tampa is further along with network vision that anywhere else in Florida including Miami area.

Yeah I came from the Tampa market. There are a few small holes in the Tampa NV upgrades, but for the most part it's hard to go anywhere and not get LTE. More often than not you're connected to an upgraded tower. There were a few popular and populated spots that weren't upgraded, but that's it really.

Here I think I've only connected to LTE a handful of times. Mostly by the beach, but the signal was quickly lost when driving. In Tampa the rollout was extensive enough, that it was easy to travel miles and just have LTE handoff from tower to tower.

It does seem like it stopped for the jax market and only 3g upgrades are going in

Not for me at all. I've had several key sites come on-line in the last month or so and my data speeds and coverage has drastically improved from just these few sites coming online. I just found another site in the San Marco area that upgrades have just started on. They were preparing the panels and getting the crane ready. I discovered this tonight, actually. I was skeptical about how more sites coming online would improve my data speeds and even to some extent, overall coverage gaps. I know now that each time a tower in my area comes online, my data speeds do increase on-average (especially during peak times) and a lot of the coverage gaps are slowly closing up.

I will be at jax beach next weekend hopefully and I will see.

Not for me at all. I've had several key sites come on-line in the last month or so and my data speeds and coverage has drastically improved from just these few sites coming online. I just found another site in the San Marco area that upgrades have just started on. They were preparing the panels and getting the crane ready. I discovered this tonight, actually. I was skeptical about how more sites coming online would improve my data speeds and even to some extent, overall coverage gaps. I know now that each time a tower in my area comes online, my data speeds do increase on-average (especially during peak times) and a lot of the coverage gaps are slowly closing up.

They need to do something for the town center area. It is a really high end area with a lot of popular shops and restaurants, plus a lot of corporate offices in the nearby area. There are also stores for all the major carriers at the town center. It doesn't look good for Sprint trying to sell customers at the sprint store there when they have some of the worst coverage in Jacksonville right in that area.

• Like 1

From what I've seen in this rollout the most improtant and saturated towers are some of the last to be updated because they don't want to disrupt service for that many people. It sucks but that's how they are doing it. From what I've experienced they will launch cities and don't care if the more imprortant parts of the city are covered but the thing that gets me is they exaggerate their coverage map for LTE to the extreme.

They need to do something for the town center area. It is a really high end area with a lot of popular shops and restaurants, plus a lot of corporate offices in the nearby area. There are also stores for all the major carriers at the town center. It doesn't look good for Sprint trying to sell customers at the sprint store there when they have some of the worst coverage in Jacksonville right in that area.

Just saw that Sprint officially launched Jacksonville today.

I'm trying to maintain some optimism, but the rollout has been painfully slow and my experience with LTE thus far is that if I stand outside, in the right spot, the speed is great. However, anywhere that I actually need to use it, you can't get an LTE signal, and the 3g is dial up slow.

I've been with Sprint for so long, that I think I have a little Stockholm syndrome. I don't want to wait another year or two for the upgrades, but I can't bring myself to throw in the towel either.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I feel you, talked a friend into getting the HTC One like mine on Sprint, it has worse coverage than the HTC EVO he had, I also seen poorer reception with mine, but kept it instead of trying to see if Samsung 4 had better reception.

He has been a long time Sprint guy too.  He got tired of it and went to ATT last week before his 15 days were up.  He has 5 bars now inside the building with blazing speeds compared to a brick in his hand..   Not sure it is worth eating the ETF on my new HTCOne and making the jump too.  It gets old carrying a brick when you can not use for phone, email, internet, etc and pay 180 bucks a month for 3 phones.  I have to use an Airave in the house to have any signal there too.

Been listening to LTE talk since I bought the first HTC EVO two years ago, that phone never seen a LTE the entire time I had it.

How many have made the switch form Sprint and like the grass better on the other side of the fence?  

If your service is that bad and your tired of sprints promises that it can't keep or takes a long time to execute I would switch and comback in a year when the network is a different animal. When its said and done I think At&t and Sprint will be the two best data providers of the big 4. Jacksonville market is going very slow averaging less than 50 LTE sites a month so I see the frustration. I'm upset to because they listed my area as a fair LTE coverage area and I checked back yesterday and now all of a sudden its a BEST LTE coverage area and we don't get LTE inside or out which is ridiculous they can get away with lying that bad.

I feel you, talked a friend into getting the HTC One like mine on Sprint, it has worse coverage than the HTC EVO he had, I also seen poorer reception with mine, but kept it instead of trying to see if Samsung 4 had better reception.

He has been a long time Sprint guy too. He got tired of it and went to ATT last week before his 15 days were up. He has 5 bars now inside the building with blazing speeds compared to a brick in his hand.. Not sure it is worth eating the ETF on my new HTCOne and making the jump too. It gets old carrying a brick when you can not use for phone, email, internet, etc and pay 180 bucks a month for 3 phones. I have to use an Airave in the house to have any signal there too.

Been listening to LTE talk since I bought the first HTC EVO two years ago, that phone never seen a LTE the entire time I had it.

How many have made the switch form Sprint and like the grass better on the other side of the fence?

Anyone see some new sites that Rob Da Don doesn't have on the map? Only 6 LTE acceptances for the whole Jax market in the month of August has me worried as normally if I find a LTE tower live then Rob Da Don nomally has the acceptance report that day or maybe a day or two earlier.

Anyone see some new sites that Rob Da Don doesn't have on the map? Only 6 LTE acceptances for the whole Jax market in the month of August has me worried as normally if I find a LTE tower live then Rob Da Don nomally has the acceptance report that day or maybe a day or two earlier.

Nope. I haven't seen any new sites. I've seen a lot of sites with the legacy equipment removed though.

Seems to be the first LTE drought since the rollout began. I have been to like 10 towers, looked at permits and everything and I came up with nothing. I don't like this game lol

Nope. I haven't seen any new sites. I've seen a lot of sites with the legacy equipment removed though.

Seems to be the first LTE drought since the rollout began. I have been to like 10 towers, looked at permits and everything and I came up with nothing. I don't like this game lol

Well for the past week its been storming in the afternoons. So maybe that's the hold up or maybe they have a bunch of sites completed and waiting acceptance. I haven't been out towards the beaches at all but the North side, west side, clay county, and most of the downtown area is mostly complete.

I have been to Gainsville, and St Augustine this month and I don't see anything new. I am going to Jax beach next weekend and Tampa the first week of August. I have suspicion that there is live TD LTE in Jax though.

Well for the past week its been storming in the afternoons. So maybe that's the hold up or maybe they have a bunch of sites completed and waiting acceptance. I haven't been out towards the beaches at all but the North side, west side, clay county, and most of the downtown area is mostly complete.

I have been to Gainsville, and St Augustine this month and I don't see anything new. I am going to Jax beach next weekend and Tampa the first week of August. I have suspicion that there is live TD LTE in Jax though.

Well, I hate to say this but I'm going to ride my two contracts out. One ends in Jan the other ends in April if there is no 800 service either CDMA or LTE. I'm bailing on Sprint. Hopefully when that time come sprint will have all three bands working and we all are in LTE bliss. Also this evo is my last HTC phone ever. I like the HTC one and the one max looks awesome but HTC sucks in the rf Dept

Yeah they do. I am riding my contracts out as well. First one ends Nov 7th the other May 18 but I plan on paying the 100 dollar end of termination fee in December especially if tmobile beats sprint to LTE coverage in my area. HTC does need to focus on that two but I just don't like the galaxy phones for some reason. I will only choose between HTC, or the note 2, or Sony if Sprint ever decides to get one

• Like 1

Yessir. Here's two that I just found in the last week that upgrades have started on.

JA54XC112 - west Arlington - University and Fort Caroline.

JA73XC053 - south San Marco area - Hendricks ave.

I'm going to try and get some good shots of the work being done on these so we can mark them as "in-progress".

They just finished another site across the street from my work on Talleyrand Ave and 21st st (JA73XC059). I hit 18-30+Mbps all day long at that site.

My Verizon LTE devices have really started to slow down almost everywhere I go. At this point, my Sprint iPhone 5 and MiFi 500 TriBand hotspot has much more consistent speeds than my Verizon devices. That says something to me, especially considering sprint is only running a 5x5mhz PCS LTE carrier around here and Verizon is at least 10x10mhz. Verizon's network is congested. So is AT&T.

• Like 2

My next phone will be a note series device. I may switch earlier if their is some great deals around the holidays. I get corporate discounts on three of the big 4 except big red even though their sales team say I do.

Yessir. Here's two that I just found in the last week that upgrades have started on. JA54XC112 - west Arlington - University and Fort Caroline. JA73XC053 - south San Marco area - Hendricks ave. I'm going to try and get some good shots of the work being done on these so we can mark them as "in-progress". They just finished another site across the street from my work on Talleyrand Ave and 21st st (JA73XC059). I hit 18-30+Mbps all day long at that site.

That's what I like to hear!  :tu:

Yessir. Here's two that I just found in the last week that upgrades have started on. JA54XC112 - west Arlington - University and Fort Caroline. JA73XC053 - south San Marco area - Hendricks ave.I'm going to try and get some good shots of the work being done on these so we can mark them as "in-progress". They just finished another site across the street from my work on Talleyrand Ave and 21st st (JA73XC059). I hit 18-30+Mbps all day long at that site.My Verizon LTE devices have really started to slow down almost everywhere I go. At this point, my Sprint iPhone 5 and MiFi 500 TriBand hotspot has much more consistent speeds than my Verizon devices. That says something to me, especially considering sprint is only running a 5x5mhz PCS LTE carrier around here and Verizon is at least 10x10mhz. Verizon's network is congested. So is AT&T.

Have you seen work being done in the black hole (Atlantic and beach blvd)

Have you seen work being done in the black hole (Atlantic and beach blvd)

Nope. I don't frequent those areas often, so I wouldn't see them if they were working on those sites. I'm sure they have to be working on something in those areas. From my vantage point, it seems Sprint is really picking up the pace, especially since Jax was officially launched a few weeks ago.

If you guys aren't sponsors, I suggest becoming one so you can see what is already "in-progress" in the "black hole" of Jax.