Apple Off-Topic Rant separated from PCMag LTE Test thread

Now, regardless of if you never travel to where Verizon has 4G LTE, people like the marketing story - they feel like they are getting the best. Normal people don't run speed tests every day, monitor network coverage, and post about it in forums.

This.

It one of the reasons why Apple has a successful following. You can take a <add anything you like here> and wrap it up nicely in colorful colors and add a bow tie on it it will still be the same old <add anything you want here>. but market it like its the second coming of bliss and people will be lining up around blocks just to get their hands on it. It's just like a pair of sneakers, any can do its job, but if i have a pair of latest and greatest Nike that jump over the moon, then you are perceived as cool. :rolleyes:

If Sprints LTE is even a tiny bit faster than Wimax, I'll be happy. But from what I see in that report its much faster and that makes me very very happy. .

TS

• Like 2

Considering the WiMAX fiasco (perceived or otherwise) and the current state of their 3G network... the easy conclusion to make is that sprint doesn't have a good network. People are lazy - they will just look at past performance. All sprint can do is prove them wrong.

Now, media loves peak speeds because it shows measurable numbers that anyone can understand. It's not vague, hard to grasp, or confusing. It's a simple, completely irrelevant number that charts well.

Regardless of what average speeds are, marketing revolves around top speeds and coverage - just take a look at Verizon's marketing:

Nation's fastest 4G LTE network

Verizon's 4G LTE network is larger than every other 4G LTE network combined

7397310010_3039ac27ce_c.jpg

Now, regardless of if you never travel to where Verizon has 4G LTE, people like the marketing story - they feel like they are getting the best. Normal people don't run speed tests every day, monitor network coverage, and post about it in forums.

When I have to look at the fastest 4G network ad I want to rip the tv in half and I like my tv very much by the way. You don't really see the "speed" on a phone, so 4-5mbs on AT&T vs 10-20mbs on verizon is not going to make any one man AT&T's is the slowest thing on earth. So really to see 4-5mbs vs 10+ you need to hook it up to a PC, but then verizon will come down with the throttle hammer of DOOM.

This.

It one of the reasons why Apple has a successful following. You can take a <add anything you like here> and wrap it up nicely in colorful colors and add a bow tie on it it will still be the same old <add anything you want here>. but market it like its the second coming of bliss and people will be lining up around blocks just to get their hands on it. It's just like a pair of sneakers, any can do its job, but if i have a pair of latest and greatest Nike that jump over the moon, then you are perceived as cool. :rolleyes:

If Sprints LTE is even a tiny bit faster than Wimax, I'll be happy. But from what I see in that report its much faster and that makes me very very happy. .

TS

Verizon=apple IN EVERY way, they are both liers and slower than what they clam and are UNreliabile crap.

Edited by 4ktvs

This.

You are claiming that the original iPhone was the same as other smartphones when it came out and Apple just marketed it better? That's the biggest load I've ever heard. I suffered through a Windows Mobile phone (several actually) on Sprint for years so don't you insult my honor or demean the hell I went through :( on those pieces of s**t by claiming Apple didn't invent/reinvent the smartphone and touch UI.

Apple invented the tablet market (and still owns it)... the few "tablets" before it were crap, failed, and quickly exited the marketplace. Even most of the Android tablets ever released were channel-dumped at a loss (but falsely claimed as "sales") before being end-of-lifed.

Apple owned the music business with iTunes because Steve Jobs had the clout to convince the record companies to get on-board. I don't recall Bill Gates (of whom I am a fan actually) getting on a plane, flying to meet record company executives, and pitching them his vision for digital music. Apple did and that's what got them to stop stonewalling digital distribution.

Apple's latest Mac OS has altered the paradigm of interacting with computers by removing the concept of saving (everything is saved automatically in the background) and combining it with version control so you can live-browse older versions (and even drag elements of them out of the past and into the current document). Again, did they invent it entirely out of nothing whole-cloth? No, but it is actually moving the concept of the desktop UI forward... Frankly Microsoft had this one in their face for years (Word's autosave) but never just made that automatic because they failed to combine it with automatic version control.

Apple was the first to say "hey, let us handle all the billing and support crap - you just sell your apps". They also broke the backs of the carriers... do you people have amnesia or do you not remember the locked-down nonsense that passed for an "app store" on phones back when the carriers were in control :blink: ? Or when Verizon/Sprint would have the same phone but different features were enabled/disabled at their respective whims? Apple literally invented the "no, all carriers will ship the same phone with the same features and no non-uninstallable carrier crapware".

One of Apple's strengths has been a willingness to dump the past/legacy and move forward. It often allows them to spot the obvious and force it to happen. It also means old apps that aren't maintained die off and people find replacements... replacements that take advantage of the new paradigms/features. That may not be a choice that works for you but it's not meaningless.

When I have to look at the fastest 4G network ad I want to rip the tv in half and I like my tv very much by the way. You don't really see the "speed" on a phone, so 4-5mbs on AT&T vs 10-20mbs on verizon is not going to make any one man AT&T's is the slowest thing on earth. So really to see 4-5mbs vs 10+ you need to hook it up to a PC, but then verizon will come down with the throttle hammer of DOOM.

Verizon=apple IN EVERY way, they are both liers and slower than what they clam and are UNreliabile crap.

:rofl: Nonsense. Apple devices are well-made and unlike many companies they stand behind their products. Even the 2009 iPhone 3GS is going to get updated to iOS 6. It may not support all the new features but it is being kept up to date. Apple delivers what they promise and that's part of the reason they are one of the largest companies in the world.

This kind of low-effort crap-posting is just sour grapes from people who irrationally hate Apple. If their products don't suit your specific needs, that's fine. I have no problem with that. If you just prefer a different UI or brand, that's also fine. But don't make up nonsense to justify your irrational decision - own it as an irrational preference and be honest.

Apple clearly has the best product support (hardware and software), the best/largest app ecosystem, and the best/largest accessory ecosystem, and the best/most widespread integration (e.g. car) ecosystem. It also has the best media ecosystem (iTunes Store). None of these things are arguable - they are demonstrable facts. Apple is also posting record profits and a $100 billion dollar company.

If they are losers then I pray I can be that big of a loser some day. :lol:

In conclusion: As long as Robert lets me get away with it, I am going to start raining hellfire down on people making anti-apple posts not backed up with accurate information.

edit: I don't intend for this post to be a personal attack or to sound angry. I'm not mad at either of you, honest :)

• Like 2

As an owner of various Apple products (2007 iMac, first-gen MacBook Air, early 2009 MacBook, first-gen iPhone, third-gen iPad) I feel I have room to talk here...from my iMac, running Windows 7 at the moment...

...Apple products aren't for everyone. The third-gen iPad was the best tablet on the market when I bought it...still is, I'm pretty sure. However prior to its release the Asus Transformer Prime was the best on the market. The iPhone 4S has really good performance etc., however the screen is a bit too small for my liking (ideally my device would be 4.2" 16x9 or thereabouts) and it doesn't have true 4G (14.4 HSPA isn't 4G). I would take a friend's HTC Rezound, which has a higher-pixel-density screen at a higher resolution and larger size than the iPhone, any day of the week over the iPhone 4S. The camera on the phone is quite good, and it's got 4G. If HTC copied the phone, but swapped in a new Snapdragon chip and swapped LTE 750 for LTE 1900, I'd sell the Samsung Galaxy SIII I'll be getting soon and buy the HTC.

By contrast, if the iPhone came out with an LTE version, I still wouldn't buy it. Too costly to replace, should something ever break, and stuff like Amazon Cloud Player comes first to Android.

Also, for the record, Apple's last OS upgrade made tothe iPhone 3G pretty much broke it. Imagine your phone working at a handful of frames per second...that's what the 3G ws like when Apple launched its latest OS (for that phone). That was quite the misstep IMO, even if it did net the company more phone sales from people trying to get decent performance out of their handset again.

As for the newly released MacBook Pro with its awesome screen and other top-shelf components, call me when I can get one for less than twice the price of a very capable, but not as flashy, SSD-powered rig from the likes of Vizio or Asus. Photoshop may run XX% faster on the MacBook Pro, but is the performance and size benefit worth the price, particularly when you figure in mini-DisplayPort-to-anything adapters? On the other end of the spectrum, the MacBook Air doesn't offer anything radically different from a garden-variety ultrabook 10-15% cheaper these days, aside from the operating system. This sort of thing is why the last Mac I bought was in mid-2009, and why the next one may not be until next year (whenever Ivy Bridge iMacs come out). It's why my family still uses PCs, with the exception of a Mac mini (the lowest-end Core 2 Duo model ever available) that's running Windows XP for my dad. Say what you will about OS X's revolutionary (note that I didn't say "new") features...there's a reason why not everyone has switched: competitors are actually quite good at their jobs.

Not singling anyone out, but this conversation has nothing to do with the posted topic; let's get back on topic.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

In conclusion: As long as Robert lets me get away with it' date=' I am going to start raining hellfire down on people making anti-apple posts not backed up with accurate information.

[/quote']

I will let you get away with it for the most part, so long as you use an explained and reasonable response and do not direct any negative comments toward members. I agree that anti-Apple posts need to be backed up the same way. And if someone says their opinion is they don't like a product, that's also fine. But opinions should be clearly identified, otherwise our members are always willing to prove an opinion inaccurate if they believe it is being touted as fact.

It is true that Apple is a pioneer. They were first to market with a touch screen smartphone. And it was a risk. No one knew if it would take off. Kudos to Apple. If Apple continues to innovate on that level into the future, everyone wins. It keeps pushing the bar higher and higher. And their competitors have to spend a lot of time and money on R&D to come up with something innovative first. And with Apple as your competitor, that is tough to do.

But with all that said, with so many members now, our Moderation standards about keeping on topic will be a little tougher from now on. Members are always welcome to open a new topic about their empassioned subjects. Thanks!

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

You are claiming that the original iPhone was the same as other smartphones when it came out and Apple just marketed it better? That's the biggest load I've ever heard. I suffered through a Windows Mobile phone (several actually) on Sprint for years so don't you insult my honor or demean the hell I went through :( on those pieces of s**t by claiming Apple didn't invent/reinvent the smartphone and touch UI.

Apple invented the tablet market (and still owns it)... the few "tablets" before it were crap, failed, and quickly exited the marketplace. Even most of the Android tablets ever released were channel-dumped at a loss (but falsely claimed as "sales") before being end-of-lifed.

Apple owned the music business with iTunes because Steve Jobs had the clout to convince the record companies to get on-board. I don't recall Bill Gates (of whom I am a fan actually) getting on a plane, flying to meet record company executives, and pitching them his vision for digital music. Apple did and that's what got them to stop stonewalling digital distribution.

Apple's latest Mac OS has altered the paradigm of interacting with computers by removing the concept of saving (everything is saved automatically in the background) and combining it with version control so you can live-browse older versions (and even drag elements of them out of the past and into the current document). Again, did they invent it entirely out of nothing whole-cloth? No, but it is actually moving the concept of the desktop UI forward... Frankly Microsoft had this one in their face for years (Word's autosave) but never just made that automatic because they failed to combine it with automatic version control.

Apple was the first to say "hey, let us handle all the billing and support crap - you just sell your apps". They also broke the backs of the carriers... do you people have amnesia or do you not remember the locked-down nonsense that passed for an "app store" on phones back when the carriers were in control :blink: ? Or when Verizon/Sprint would have the same phone but different features were enabled/disabled at their respective whims? Apple literally invented the "no, all carriers will ship the same phone with the same features and no non-uninstallable carrier crapware".

One of Apple's strengths has been a willingness to dump the past/legacy and move forward. It often allows them to spot the obvious and force it to happen. It also means old apps that aren't maintained die off and people find replacements... replacements that take advantage of the new paradigms/features. That may not be a choice that works for you but it's not meaningless.

:rofl: Nonsense. Apple devices are well-made and unlike many companies they stand behind their products. Even the 2009 iPhone 3GS is going to get updated to iOS 6. It may not support all the new features but it is being kept up to date. Apple delivers what they promise and that's part of the reason they are one of the largest companies in the world.

This kind of low-effort crap-posting is just sour grapes from people who irrationally hate Apple. If their products don't suit your specific needs, that's fine. I have no problem with that. If you just prefer a different UI or brand, that's also fine. But don't make up nonsense to justify your irrational decision - own it as an irrational preference and be honest.

Apple clearly has the best product support (hardware and software), the best/largest app ecosystem, and the best/largest accessory ecosystem, and the best/most widespread integration (e.g. car) ecosystem. It also has the best media ecosystem (iTunes Store). None of these things are arguable - they are demonstrable facts. Apple is also posting record profits and a $100 billion dollar company.

If they are losers then I pray I can be that big of a loser some day. :lol:

In conclusion: As long as Robert lets me get away with it, I am going to start raining hellfire down on people making anti-apple posts not backed up with accurate information.

edit: I don't intend for this post to be a personal attack or to sound angry. I'm not mad at either of you, honest :)

I don't "irrationally hate Apple". As you put it, I have tryed there MAC's and I dislike UI no matter how I use it and it reminds me now of the windows8 UI is going and I am not a fan of it. Now I am not really going to go into Mac's, becuase I have not used them a lot, so it would not really be all that fair to comment more on mac "pc's".

Now for the ipad, I dislike a list of thing's about it:

1) The UI (The way it's set up on IOS) makes it way to slow vs my GT-9100 or my razr for that matter to get to the settings.

2) The 1st gen only had 256mb of ram and it seemed to run out alot and updates don't really help.

3) The OS/app's crashs alot on the 1st gen and 2gen vs my non apple phone when it comes to using app's.

4) I sent one into a boot loop with a chess app that worked fine on my NON apple phone and yes it was the same app.

5) No flash really limits what you can do and for me to use some thing at this time with no flash is really pain full for me at this time. ( note I hate flash about as much as I hate steam so I am not a flash fan and I want HTML 5 right now to kill flash, but it will take time.)

Now for the iphone 4s

1) The 3.5 in srceen is a bit hard to use due to size.

2) No tethering with out jailbrake.

3) OS is hard to get to seting's for wifi,BT and so on. ( Not that big of a "deal", but for the most user friendly phone. I would think it would be faster to get to some how.)

4) Poor real build vs a lot of phones when droped. ( I know the samsung S3 is poor as well, but apple should still be better than most right, not just a phone that at the time has not even come out yet.)

5) It boot's slower than my S2, and most of the new high end phones that have come out.

6) IOS has locked up on me before and I had to hardreboot it.

7) Safari (web browser): It does not seem all way like butter vs my GT 9100 and the zoom in/out "lags" a bit.

Now I do think the "new" ipad is cool and I think they mostly got it right,but I still don't like the rest of there line up.

This is just me and I know a lot like apple and that's fine, but I was not so luckly and or could not live with the limit's like no flash.

Now back on topic:

I don't really think PC mag was fair to sprint or AT&T for that matter. They seemed like they just want to pick verizon as the wniner and be done with it.

Edited by 4ktvs

Whoa there, you took what TS said and totally ran with it in whatever direction you wanted to go with it, I don't see where TS is claiming anything specific to what you said. I don't think any one would disagree that apple single-handedly changed the smartphone market when the original came out in 2007. Up until then smartphones were boring and for the most part geared towards business users and really wasn't geared towards the general population. When the iphone came out it was a fast and simple user experience all rapped up in well designed hardware which caught the attention of the general public through marketing. You could even say that the iphone was a smartphone for dummies. But at the time even though winmo was slow as crap, there were a lot of things it could do that an iphone couldn't. For example, the iphone lacked basic features like mms, copy and paste, no multitasking whatsoever, no stereo bluetooth support, no wireless syncing, hell, it didn't even have 3g for godsakes and the list goes on and on and on. All this while being sold at a premium price. The reality is apple proved that eyecandy sells better than actual utility which really is a fact. Since then apple has maintained the eyecandy while improving on utility and the opposite can be said for other mobile OS's where they have maintained utility but now they are trying to improve on the eyecandy.

What I would say TS is referring to is everytime a new feature was introduced on any particular iphone, 9 times of 10 it was feature that was already available but when apple does it, its marketed in such away that it comes across as the next best thing since slice bread and it sells like hot cakes. Apple killed off the stylus with their touch interface and guess what, products like the htc flyer/evo view but more significantly the galaxy note is bringing the stylus right back in. Now I can guarantee that with the unexpected success of the galaxy note that apple is some how gonna find away to introduce their own stylus and market it as the next best thing since slice bread and the media will be all over it. Its all in the marketing bro, thats a fact. At the end of the day specs/features alone don't sell a product as well as marketing and support does and thats why apple is #1. Samsung has finally figured this out and thats why they have been doing so well over the last year or so and thats why apple is so threatened by them now.

• Like 2

We should seriously break off the Apple topic and put it somewhere else. Mods?

Trying to keep the flame war contained here. As someone who lives in Colorado right now, I of all people should know what an important thing flame containment is (if you're wondering what I'm talking about, look up #HighParkFire on Twitter).

• Like 1

We should seriously break off the Apple topic and put it somewhere else. Mods?

Trying to keep the flame war contained here. As someone who lives in Colorado right now, I of all people should know what an important thing flame containment is (if you're wondering what I'm talking about, look up #HighParkFire on Twitter).

Done. And now it is no longer off-topic. Please do not flame this thread. Keep to your points, label opinions clearly and do not get personal. Let's try to keep emotion and personal biases out of this. I know S4GRU members can have an intellectual conversation about such dramatic differences. Prove me right. Otherwise, we will close the thread, if necessary.

Robert

• Like 3

I think that we should have a separate forum where all the phone geeks at the bleeding edge of everything can rain down insults on the isheep. Then they can sleep really well at night feeling morally superior.

After doing that, you might also have an anti-Sprint rant forum where people can rant against Sprint for real and imagined wrongs.

I think that we should have a separate forum where all the phone geeks at the bleeding edge of everything can rain down insults on the isheep. Then they can sleep really well at night feeling morally superior.

After doing that, you might also have an anti-Sprint rant forum where people can rant against Sprint for real and imagined wrongs.

Here is a link to the Sprint rant forum http://www.facebook.com/sprint or here http://community.sprint.com/baw/index.jspa

• Like 1

Like i said, wow.

Who would have thought that the first anti-Apple rant / off-topic bleeding edge of everything / i-anything insults thread would be started by a staff member, let alone me. But eh, there is always a first time for anything to happen I guess. Trust me it was not intentional for it to be a anti-rant thread.

But with that said, let me clarify as to my posting that was originally in the PC mag LTE thread and not on its own here.

@xenadu (and anyone else for that matter)

If I have hurt anyones feelings or stepped on anyones toes, then I sincerly apologize. I have no issue doing so. Its not really my intention and I certainly was not trying to put anyone down, I was just laying down the point of view that so many clearly see (but apparently alot also do not).

I also was told that my comments were insensitive and down right mean, and that the meaning behind the <add anything you like here> was simply the word "turd". On the contrary, I specifically wrote it like that because it could be for any device that Apple makes and I am sure there are quite a few folks that could easily put in there any i-device. I myself cannot single out one i-device and is why I put in that phrase.

Now, the reason and meaning behind that comment was plain and simple, Apple has a major marketing war machine that is second to none. They should be applauded to a point but on the same token, it is unfair to the countless fans on both sides of the team. They can make anything look good through their marketing.

As mention by a few here already in this thread and not so detailed in my post is the minute differences that are introduced between models (mind you this can also be applied to android and windows models as well). The only difference is that Apple has that wonderful marketing that makes the device look so much better (except for a few little things) than the previous one. Other than Siri, everything else was basically done already or not that great of a reason to upgrade to (in my opinion).

Now xenadu, in conclusion, I read and re-read my original post and still fail to see where I said or claim that the original iPhone was the same as other smartphones. In between models is a totally different matter and one that I still stand by. I never said what you claim I said.

Regardless of my role here as a mod, I am still a member like anyone else. We all have to abide by the rules and there was no reason for you to have gone off to me like you did. We all can be passionate about things, some more than others, but lets not get carried away. I'm sure we all can point things out and or debate things without having to cross the line.

@s4gru

If i am not mistaken, Apple was not the first to market with a touch screen smartphone, that honor goes to the LG Prada, Apple just marketed as such.

@bigsnake49

ummm, lets not. I do believe we can continue the convo in a rational way. there is no need for a anti-<insert any carrier / manufacturer here> forum. Doing so will certainly leave to problems. Then again I hear there is a very good anti-<insert any carrier / manufacturer here> forum in Banlandia. lol

(above part was me being sarcastic too) :P We can just have one thread.

Anyway, lets start anew,

first on the agenda is a better freaking title. Any suggestions people?

How about Apple / Android/ Windows Rant thread.

TS

• Like 2

@s4gru

If i am not mistaken, Apple was not the first to market with a touch screen smartphone, that honor goes to the LG Prada, Apple just marketed as such.

The LG What??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But, point taken.

Robert

The LG What??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But, point taken.

Robert

Whats' so funny?

Oh btw Rob, there is an issue going on in Banlandia that needs an admin. can you check to see what it is?

Thanks

(quick, someone close the gate once he goes through,)

Quote way to long to quote. just click button above or go back one page

I really think I started it and should not have put the Verizon=apple comment and I am sorry to all it ticked off or was offended by it.

Edited by twospirits
Quote way too long. So removed.

Wow, checked back in after work and looks like I stepped in the hornets nest... Or maybe I am the hornets nest that got stepped on? ;)

My apologies if I offended anyone and all apologies accepted.

Also I want to make clear that I don't support everything Apple does, nor do I agree with every decision. They are also guilty of using marketing to promote something they got forced into as if it were a planned benefit. I just don't think it is accurate to say they don't innovate or don't make good products. Their recent decision to solder the RAM on-board for the Retina MacBook Pro... I understand it. They can make a smaller, lighter laptop that way and if you ran the numbers I would bet anyone that 90% of all laptop owners never upgrade the memory after purchase so it makes sense to ditch something only 10% of people use to get the size/cost/weight down... However I am not sure that is a good choice for me personally so we shall see when it comes to upgrade time. If Apple doesn't work for you no big deal.

Robert: you are quite correct... The competition will help keep all the vendors honest.

Edit: I think part of my initial reaction is Apple being compared to ILECs... Who's government-granted monopoly has allowed them to reap enormous profit, consolidate control over the wireless market, lobby for millions in tax breaks to build a next-gen network (and not deploy one, AT&T you arses) or decide to stop further deployment of theirs (Verizon's new CEO: a great short-term thinker), etc. Apple has almost nothing in common with those bloated remnants of Ma-Bell.

I guess I'm hard-wires to root for the underdog, that's why I love Sprint and hope they steal Verizon/AT&T's business out from under them. I guess Apples not the underdog anymore though...

Been a while since apple was an underdog lol. I guess I like the underdog too which is why I am a fan of windows phone. And let me be clear, I am in absolutely no way saying that Microsoft is an underdog. I just want to see a solid competition between 3 good operating systems, and windows phone is the best candidate for the 3rd OS. RIM had their chance...

Not to mention I believe Microsoft will finally bring a tablet to market that is more than just an oversized phone.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

@xenadu (and anyone else for that matter)

If I have hurt anyones feelings or stepped on anyones toes, then I sincerly apologize. I have no issue doing so. Its not really my intention and I certainly was not trying to put anyone down, I was just laying down the point of view that so many clearly see (but apparently alot also do not).

My apologies if I offended anyone and all apologies accepted.

Kind of off topic, but I think worth mentioning. This is one of the things I really enjoy about this site, even though sometimes things might get heated or taken the wrong way, almost everyone on here is able to move on and not let the conversation devolve into something personal and ridiculous. Comment sections on way too many sites these days aren't even worth the time to read with all the negative, personal attacks and lack of respect for others.

I think the staff all do a great job helping things stay civil as well.

Thanks everyone for making S4GRU a great place to learn and communicate.

• Like 5