Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

How many will get the upgrades? All of them. How many in the market are done? Well, start counting.... because I have no idea.

You can see the percentages on the NV Running List thread pinned in the Network Vision portion of the forums.

Thanks mate for reply ! but i can see that in the Network Vision portion of the forums showing 60% completed ! curious to know how many total sites instead % completion.

Thanks mate for reply ! but i can see that in the Network Vision portion of the forums showing 60% completed ! curious to know how many total sites instead % completion.

Yeah, if I knew that I'd tell ya. But I don't know the total number of sites in the market. You can compared the NV Sites Complete map with the Kansas Network Vision map in the sponsors section to get an idea.

Once you get done counting let us know :tu:

In the Kansas market? If memory serves me correctly, the Network Vision playbook indicates around 600 sites, divided roughly 400 Kansas City, 200 Wichita.

AJ

can anybody explain me in details what does it mean oln intractive maps.3G, 3G/800, 3G/800/4G, 3G/4G, 4G In Progress. what are they upgrading in network vision i mean its only LTE or CDMA both.

3G3G/8003G/800/4G3G/4G4GIn Progres

can anybody explain me in details what does it mean oln intractive maps.3G, 3G/800, 3G/800/4G, 3G/4G, 4G In Progress. what are they upgrading in network vision i mean its only LTE or CDMA both.

Ok, each pin type means those items have been accepted by a Sprint contractor inspection crew to meet the standards in place for that part of the upgrade. Just because its 3G only doesn't mean its not getting more, it either failed a inspection on 4G or something is not ready yet. Often the hold up for 4G can be backhaul (the network connection either wire or microwave). Your in KC metro which has a lot of 4G done before the 3G which always confused me but I guess there was a shortage of some item for 3G.

The thing Sprint is doing that keeps me here while the rollout reaches me is they are upgrading most everything at most every site. Of couse there are exceptions but 99%+ towers get NV upgrade. Most of those but in PR and near the border with Mexico

will get an 800 Mhz upgrade too once the old Nextel IDEN network shuts down later this year. The 800 Mhz signal seems to cover a bit larger area inside buildings and some 1900 towers are very close to each other so not all will get 800 and some out in the boonies where its just not needed based on usage per tower won't either.

I urge you to read the posts on the links below that are from people who really know and can explain it better than me.

http://s4gru.com/ind...sked-questions/

http://s4gru.com/ind...sion-explained/

3G = EVDO hardware upgrades are complete and accepted. New backhaul may not be active.

800 = CDMA 800 MHz carriers are complete. May need custom PRL to use 800.

4G = LTE work is complete, inspected and accepted. Usually active right away.

In Progress = Site is confirmed as Network Vision work is underway via internal source or S4GRU member. In Progress sites may be near completion, just about to begin, or somewhere in between.

When a site has NV equipment installed, all three components are there and ready to be used, but in some cases only 3G, or only 4G, or some combination is initially available. This can be due to a lack of backhaul, lacking carrier cards for 3G, or any number of other factors. Eventually, the majority of sites will end up as 3G/4G/800.

Ok, each pin type means those items have been accepted by a Sprint contractor inspection crew to meet the standards in place for that part of the upgrade. Just because its 3G only doesn't mean its not getting more, it either failed a inspection on 4G or something is not ready yet. Often the hold up for 4G can be backhaul (the network connection either wire or microwave). Your in KC metro which has a lot of 4G done before the 3G which always confused me but I guess there was a shortage of some item for 3G.

The thing Sprint is doing that keeps me here while the rollout reaches me is they are upgrading most everything at most every site. Of couse there are exceptions but 99%+ towers get NV upgrade. Most of those but in PR and near the border with Mexico

will get an 800 Mhz upgrade too once the old Nextel IDEN network shuts down later this year. The 800 Mhz signal seems to cover a bit larger area inside buildings and some 1900 towers are very close to each other so not all will get 800 and some out in the boonies where its just not needed based on usage per tower won't either.

I urge you to read the posts on the links below that are from people who really know and can explain it better than me.

http://s4gru.com/ind...sked-questions/

http://s4gru.com/ind...sion-explained/

Thanks a lot !

3G = EVDO hardware upgrades are complete and accepted. New backhaul may not be active.

800 = CDMA 800 MHz carriers are complete. May need custom PRL to use 800.

4G = LTE work is complete, inspected and accepted. Usually active right away.

In Progress = Site is confirmed as Network Vision work is underway via internal source or S4GRU member. In Progress sites may be near completion, just about to begin, or somewhere in between.

When a site has NV equipment installed, all three components are there and ready to be used, but in some cases only 3G, or only 4G, or some combination is initially available. This can be due to a lack of backhaul, lacking carrier cards for 3G, or any number of other factors. Eventually, the majority of sites will end up as 3G/4G/800.

Thanks man for explanation..

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, one year ago, I discovered the Sandhills site north of Hutchinson under construction. Now a year later, the backhaul was ran just over a month ago but not hooked up. So the saga continues now to see when it comes online!

So I am planning to move to Kansas City soon and have some noob q's. According to the sensorly map, most of the coverage appears to be concentrated around the major highways with pockets of weak signal centrally. Are you guys getting good signal in the Kansas City Metroplex (both KS and MO side?). I would ofcourse be signing up for google fiber as well and looks like I need to stay primarily in the MO side for that. I'll atleast save on sales tax on Amazon :) The crime map seems to get warmer further into the city. I'm guessing the south side would be better.

People tend to be very loyal to one state or the other. I'm a Kansas guy who lives on the south side so my knowledge is more so in that area. I typically have pretty good signal when I'm out and about. Anytime you head deep into a big building like home depot or a walmart, LTE tends to fall off. I have the evo LTE which doesn't have very good RF performance so that might be part of it.

As for google fiber, Kansas city Kansas (West side of town) is currently getting fiber installed. KC MO is also moving along. It was recently announced that Olathe ( Kansas suburb on the south west side) will be next. I'm guessing Overland Park (Kansas, south side where the Sprint Campus is located) and Leawood (Kansas South side) won't be far behind. Unfortunately, Olathe is probably 2 years out.

I'm not sure if you have kids or not, but Olathe and Blue Valley school districts are really good.

No kids. Would like to be close to school (<20 mins drive if possible) to Kansas U Med School. Would like to have decent LTE, google fiber, 2 car garage. Ideally would prefer an updated house. ideally a quiet neighborhood would be good. Sirens and gunshots can be distracting while studying :)

I don't get a lot of time to cook so nearby fast food joints are always good to have.

Would be moving this summer, Olathe may take a while to get hooked up.

No kids. Would like to be close to school (<20 mins drive if possible) to Kansas U Med School. Would like to have decent LTE, google fiber, 2 car garage. Ideally would prefer an updated house. ideally a quiet neighborhood would be good. Sirens and gunshots can be distracting while studying :)

I don't get a lot of time to cook so nearby fast food joints are always good to have.

Would be moving this summer, Olathe may take a while to get hooked up.

As far as I know, there aren't currently any locations where Google fiber is actually available. And anywhere that you'll find a good place to live likely won't have it for quite some time. You're best bet is probably going to be in the Turner, KS or Mission/Shawnee, KS area as far as finding a house that fits the bill. Easy hop onto I-35 to get over to KU Med. Things get pretty polarized on the MO side very quickly. You go from very high-end to gun shots pretty quickly. If you do go for the Kansas side, lots of food places along Shawnee Mission Parkway.

I do have some friends in KCMO that live kind of on the south side around 80th and Holmes, not a bad area, but Sprint signal rather sucks around there for some reason.

LTE from my experience has been pretty solid over most of the city. It's come a long way since the launch back in July. It was pretty spotty. Since then, they've brought the majority of towers in the area online, especially on the Kansas side, though the Missouri side's been making progress as of late.

Since both Htc One and SGS4 are single band lte phones for sprint, I gather both should have similar performance in KCK and KCMO?

No, that would be a hasty assumption. Overall RF performance within a band is not directly related to the number of RF bands that a handset possesses.

Right now, we really have just conjectural evidence of how the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 will perform on the real world network.

AJ

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Could someone explain to me why Wichita has such bad LTE? i thought it was just my crappy Evo LTE but i went to the sprint store at 21st and maize to look at the s4. It had almost full signal and running a speed test it barely got over 1000kb. I know they have been working on Wichita since last June or whenever but how can they not have this fixed? I don't understand how any could walk into a sprint store and sign a 2 year contract with the network the way it is. I keep seeing network vision is supposed to be complete in June or July here but is it ever going to get better? I've been dealing with sprint to keep my SERO plan but it's almost got to the point i can't take it anymore!

Could someone explain to me why Wichita has such bad LTE? i thought it was just my crappy Evo LTE but i went to the sprint store at 21st and maize to look at the s4. It had almost full signal and running a speed test it barely got over 1000kb. I know they have been working on Wichita since last June or whenever but how can they not have this fixed? I don't understand how any could walk into a sprint store and sign a 2 year contract with the network the way it is. I keep seeing network vision is supposed to be complete in June or July here but is it ever going to get better? I've been dealing with sprint to keep my SERO plan but it's almost got to the point i can't take it anymore!

When you say it had "almost full signal" are you referring to the signal bars? If so, that is the indicator for 1X. You'll actually need to check the debug screen to see what the LTE signal was at. Sounds like within the Sprint store, was on a fringe LTE signal and may have a loaded sector at the time.

So, you are taking a Sprint employee discount plan for no deserving reason; not to mention, you have been an S4GRU member for nearly a year and have not contributed anything to the cause. Is that all correct?

Well, here is the skinny. Network Vision LTE 1900 deployment is nearly complete on the west side of Wichita. If the results are not up to your standards, then drop your unnecessary SERO discount, go to another carrier, and take your complaints elsewhere. S4GRU is not a Sprint rant board.

AJ

• Like 1

One speed test is a small sample size. I'd be fine with criticizing the bad RF performance of the EVO. It is what it is.

SERO was dished out liberally by the old regime within Sprint, I could point out how that almost bankrupted Sprint along with a bunch of other bad choices. I'd be beating a dead horse.

It's almost pointless to bring it up given that it's almost gone.

• 2 weeks later...

So, you are taking a Sprint employee discount plan for no deserving reason; not to mention, you have been an S4GRU member for nearly a year and have not contributed anything to the cause. Is that all correct?

Well, here is the skinny. Network Vision LTE 1900 deployment is nearly complete on the west side of Wichita. If the results are not up to your standards, then drop your unnecessary SERO discount, go to another carrier, and take your complaints elsewhere. S4GRU is not a Sprint rant board.

AJ

One speed test is a small sample size. I'd be fine with criticizing the bad RF performance of the EVO. It is what it is.

SERO was dished out liberally by the old regime within Sprint, I could point out how that almost bankrupted Sprint along with a bunch of other bad choices. I'd be beating a dead horse.

It's almost pointless to bring it up given that it's almost gone.

I wasn't coming on here to complain. I was wondering if anyone else is seeing similar results in one of the busiest growing parts of Wichita. I don't go there often so I was expecting much better.

I've switched over 30 lines to sprint so I think I have a deserving reason to have a sero plan that i signed up for years ago. Not to mention the fact that i pay more than anyone with sprint that is on a family line and haven't had a phone subsidized since 2008. But it's me and my sero account that is bankrupting sprint? Something they offered to anyone and I didn't go through any hoops to get it. I'll keep it as long as they'll keep letting me activate newly released phones, that i pay full price for.

Sounds like you're the ones on here complaining. But thank you for the help. I'll be eagerly awaiting 800mhz.

Go Sprint. I'll be donating when i can.

I think you missed the point.

I wasn't condemning taking SERO. I have a slightly different view on that than AJ. I was blasting Sprint's chain of bad decisions that led to it being offered in the first place.

Besides, SERO is only a good value for the first 2-3 lines on an account. Once you get beyond 3-4, family plans are less expensive. Each additional line on a family plan is less expensive than a SERO plan.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD