Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

It may be a temp site, but wouldn't too much bandwidth be better than not enough? Especially at a massive race with Sprint branding everywhere? I mean, if only one provider is going to succeed there, shouldn't it be Sprint?

Getting in another gigabit of bandwidth to support one channel of B41 on three towers isn't exactly trivial...  especially if it's only used a few days per year.

Two thoughts...

1. It is true, not all COW's have B41 active yet.

2. B41 on a COW may have different GCI formats than macro B41. And if so, SignalCheck Pro will not notify you of B41. It would appear in SCP as if it were B25 with no band label. I highly recommend checking LTE Engineering screens when looking for B41 on a COW.

• Like 3

Just a brief follow up on the Chicagoland Speedway COWs: 

CLand Sprint.jpgAntennas.jpg

The photo on the left shows one of the Sprint COWs, next to a macro site (I think AT&T is on the lower rack, Sprint on the one 2 up from that).  On the right (pardon the poor quality) shows the 12 antennas on the COW.  The top 3 on the left are different -- Are they some form of B41? If so, my GS5 didn't pick up anything from them.  I can post SCP GCI info in the Premier thread, if anyone is interested.  I saw both Band 25 carriers, but spent most of my time on B26.  I am fairly sure that I can distinguish the macro site (2 observations) from the COWs.

• Like 1

I heard they have das at chicagoland speedway, I wonder if that helped at all?

I had a weird experience with the DAS system at solider field.  I wasn't sure what it was since it didn't seem to provide any service improvement for calls, data, or text to my device.  All I found was Boingo Wi-fi available for a fee there. 

I had a weird experience with the DAS system at solider field.  I wasn't sure what it was since it didn't seem to provide any service improvement for calls, data, or text to my device.  All I found was Boingo Wi-fi available for a fee there. 

You wonder if the das at soilder field just wasn't set-up right, or just isn't powerful enough. I haven't been to a bears game in two years. But I know then, data was better on 3g then 4g. Yet now we got second carrier and will have 8t8r band 41 coming online soon :)

You wonder if the das at soilder field just wasn't set-up right, or just isn't powerful enough. I haven't been to a bears game in two years. But I know then, data was better on 3g then 4g. Yet now we got second carrier and will have 8t8r band 41 coming online soon :)

I dont know, I wish I knew how to see if I was connected to a DAS or a regular tower.

I'm on the iPhone 6 now so I don't think I can get GCI'S.. And I think it may be from the site at 31 and 176

Sent from my iPhone 6 on the Now Network

You absolutely can get the the gci. You have to covert the cell identity decimal to hex. Add a zero to the beginning of your result. Use this one. http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter

You absolutely can get the the gci. You have to covert the cell identity decimal to hex. Add a zero to the beginning of your result. Use this one. http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter

Thanks! I'll have to catch the GCI next time so we can figure out what site that was

I'm on the iPhone 6 now so I don't think I can get GCI'S.. And I think it may be from the site at 31 and 176

Use the dialer code *3001#12345#* to get to the engineering screens, if the 6 is like earlier iPhones..

It's just that your speed test is insanely fast for that distance from the 176/31 site.  I was there this afternoon (my daughter rents a storage locker on Ray Street, literally right under it) and was getting mid 20's, and have gotten mid 60's at the McBurgers across 176, but 50's from miles away is really fast.

• Like 1

Use the dialer code *3001#12345#* to get to the engineering screens, if the 6 is like earlier iPhones..

It's just that your speed test is insanely fast for that distance from the 176/31 site. I was there this afternoon (my daughter rrnys a storage locker litetally right under it) and was getting mid 20's, and have gotten mid 60's at the McBurgers across 276, but 50's from miles away is teally fast.

Performance on the iPhone 6 with Band 41 is fantastic. Wouldn't surprise me if it did reach that far!

Performance on the iPhone 6 with Band 41 is fantastic. Wouldn't surprise me if it did reach that far!

I HATE you, iPhone!  You have shamed my Android!!! :mad:

(Just kidding!)

• Like 4

I flew into midway yesterday and didn't drop LTE in the airport or the entire way to my apartment in Hyde Park. Feels good man. It's a welcome respite from LTE in San Francisco...I even connected to an 8T8R site outside of Washington Park! 

• Like 1

Being in Phoenix now makes me miss sprint in Chicago. Feel like the stone ages out here with data.

I flew into midway yesterday and didn't drop LTE in the airport or the entire way to my apartment in Hyde Park. Feels good man. It's a welcome respite from LTE in San Francisco...I even connected to an 8T8R site outside of Washington Park!

• Like 1

Being in Phoenix now makes me miss sprint in Chicago. Feel like the stone ages out here with data.

I just got back to our awesomeness from the stone ages of the Vegas strip. Smoking a cigarette outside of midway just enjoying all these carriers.
  • Like 2

Verizon was fastest, but Sprint won data performance?

I know that speeds are just one metric. Coverage is another. So if you're second in speed, but have better coverage and reliability, then it's possible to come out on top. And Sprint did just squeak out VZW in total data performance.

I wonder if Sprint is on the DAS at O'Hare?

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3