Sprint Super Bowl Coverage/DAS

That pic shows capacity of network. Nothing misleading about that. If you were to stream video you'd get it at the speeds shown on the bar graph.

No, you would get that speed with TMobile only if you were not over the limit that kicks off throttling for you.  You would still get it on your speed test though because of how they let their speedtest data behave differently.

This is the post I was referring too for those curious: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/563048576214114304

No, you would get that speed with TMobile only if you were not over the limit that kicks off throttling for you. You would still get it on your speed test though because of how they let their speedtest data behave differently.

This is the post I was referring too for those curious: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/563048576214114304

I agree with everything you said. But you didn't contradict my assertion that even if someone is throttled, them doing an ookla does accurately show the capacity of the network, not necessarily the speed of a throttled user.

I agree with everything you said. But you didn't contradict my assertion that even if someone is throttled, them doing an ookla does accurately show the capacity of the network, not necessarily the speed of a throttled user.

The point I am trying to make is, their speed is artificially inflated, due to the fact that many of their users are most likely being throttled.  By throttling many, the unthrottled users or speedtesters, get a false sense of overall available bandwith.  As much as I hate to say it, it makes a case for throttling under loaded conditions.  I completely am against their prioritization of certain traffic though, in the name of a neutral net.

• Like 1

Att said they offered 4 band lte:

700, AWS, pcs and ?

No, AT&T stated that it deployed four carrier LTE.

AJ

The point I am trying to make is, their speed is artificially inflated, due to the fact that many of their users are most likely being throttled.  By throttling many, the unthrottled users or speedtesters, get a false sense of overall available bandwith.  As much as I hate to say it, it makes a case for throttling under loaded conditions.  I completely am against their prioritization of certain traffic though, in the name of a neutral net.

See: http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/11/t-mobile-forced-to-stop-hiding-slow-speeds-from-throttled-customers/

The FCC ordered T-Mobile to stop "whitelisting" speed test data traffic back in November 2014.

• Like 1

See: http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/11/t-mobile-forced-to-stop-hiding-slow-speeds-from-throttled-customers/

The FCC ordered T-Mobile to stop "whitelisting" speed test data traffic back in November 2014.

Thats good to know, thanks.  But the guy doing the speedtests for the reporting most likely didnt have a phone that had used so much data it was getting throttled.  If you go buy a TMobile phone now and run nothing but speedtests, you are going to always get the best the network can offer, especially since the data doesnt count against your magic number that gets you throttled, versus my neighbor who has tmobile and pushes over 10 gigs a month of normal data, he would then see the slower speed reported.

• Like 1

The Stadium DAS didn't have Band 41 so it wouldn't have mattered as far as that.

But the COWs probably did have 2 carrier band 41. The "other" superbowl thread has this link http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-att-sprint-and-t-mobile-reveal-network-traffic-stats-super-bowl/2015-02-04. 754 GB is a lot of data. I wish there was length of time with these numbers so you could figure out Mbps
  • Like 1

But the COWs probably did have 2 carrier band 41. The "other" superbowl thread has this link http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-att-sprint-and-t-mobile-reveal-network-traffic-stats-super-bowl/2015-02-04. 754 GB is a lot of data. I wish there was length of time with these numbers so you could figure out Mbps

For its part, Sprint said it added mobile cell sites and that, INSIDE the stadium, it offered a 2X20 (40MHz) cellular system running on its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

I didn't think Sprint's COWS did 2.5GHz... And the DAS didn't support 2.5GHz according to released specs... So where did this Band 41 network come from?

I didn't think Sprint's COWS did 2.5GHz... And the DAS didn't support 2.5GHz according to released specs... So where did this Band 41 network come from?

9148130.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

For its part, Sprint said it added mobile cell sites and that, INSIDE the stadium, it offered a 2X20 (40MHz) cellular system running on its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

Sprint does have some Band 41 capable COWs and adding more of them to be B41 capable this year.

• Like 2

I knew some of the NASCOW's supported B41. Sprint probably used those.

So far, the only confirmed B41 COW reports I've seen were from NASCAR events this past year.  So I'm of the same thought.  Although I know they are supposed to be expanding B41 to more COWs.  So it's possible these may be some new ones from ALU.

• Like 2

So far, the only confirmed B41 COW reports I've seen were from NASCAR events this past year. So I'm of the same thought. Although I know they are supposed to be expanding B41 to more COWs. So it's possible these may be some new ones from ALU.

And the Band 41 from the COWS reached inside the Stadium?

If they were deployed directly outside and in multiple locations, yes they would reach most parts of the stadium.  Definitely the stands, but maybe not the areas down low, like locker rooms.

• Like 1

Sprint got shortchanged on the DAS which lacked Band 41. This also wasn't an officially launched Spark market.... Hopefully the showing in Santa Clara, CA for the next Super Bowl is even better.

Levi stadium has a DAS and is next to two fully upgraded sites. Clearwire sites line the public transportation routes as well.
  • Like 2

Different setup, but the Band 41 coverage from the site across the highway at the World Series in Kansas City reached into the locker rooms (when it wasn't overwhelmed by the indoor DAS). So any COWs set up within a few thousand feet of the stadium would very likely provide coverage inside the stadium.

• Like 2

Yes.  New stadium construction is made out of "wet paper bags."

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Yes.  New stadium construction is made out of "wet paper bags."

;)

AJ

Nice. :-) Wasn't sure if the University of Phoenix Super Bowl stadium would be a giant Faraday cage for Band 41 penetration.... Levi's Stadium is outdoors...

Nice. :-) Wasn't sure if the University of Phoenix Super Bowl stadium would be a giant Faraday cage for Band 41 penetration.... Levi's Stadium is outdoors...

Well, in a rare occurrence, the University of Phoenix Stadium roof was open for the Super Bowl.  So, maybe the aliens beamed band 41 down through the hole in the roof.

AJ

• Like 3

Well, in a rare occurrence, the University of Phoenix Stadium roof was open for the Super Bowl. So, maybe the aliens beamed band 41 down through the hole in the roof.

AJ

:-)

Would alien coverage be considered roaming?

I use this to contact the mothership. Band 41 RF is fantastic!

image.jpg

• Like 2