Sprint Super Bowl Coverage/DAS

For Super Bowl 51, John Stevens is the new Sprint President in charge of the Central Texas Region. Jamie Jones is the President of the Sprint South Area.

For Super Bowl 52, Michael McMahon is the new Sprint President in charge of the Great Plains Region (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa):

Kevin Crull is the President of the Sprint Central Area.

See Map: http://bizwire.tekgroup.com/media/86/ONE_Sprint_Map_11316_Highres_20160114120501346.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what T-Mobile's Neville Ray had to say about T-Mobile's performance at the Super Bowl.

See the chart: Sprint virtually tied for 2nd place with AT&T! Great job Sprint!

I like the part were he says Cheating on the test.

Cheating on the Test

Let’s take a quick moment to look at Sprint’s truly bizarre claim that they actually deliver the fastest LTE network—when every other network benchmark test out there measures Sprint’s network as the slowest. Here’s how Sprint twists data (provided by Nielsen) to make their twisted claim.

The fact is, the Nielsen data isn’t actually a measure of network performance at all.

So throttle your most of the stuff your users do except for speed test is not cheating on the speedtest.

I think the throughput of the networks would be a bigger win if Tmobile was able to do that. Anyone find numbers from Sprint or TMobile.

Verizon 7TB https://twitter.com/VerizonNews/status/696551515704709120

ATT 5.2TB https://twitter.com/ATT/status/696565959121903616

Both big numbers.

• Like 4

I love how T-Mobile is trying to discredit Nielsen's results by saying that it's not a measure of network performance and then proceeds to say:

Nielsen measures the experience of a small panel of customers based on how those customers choose to use their wireless data.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly how you should measure network performance. By looking at how it performs in everyday tasks. At the end of the day T-Mobile can pull 150Mbps theoretically but if that doesn't translate into real world usage, then what is the point?

• Like 10

Three of the Four Major Carriers have released Official Reports on Usage in varying detail:

Hopefully Sprint plans to do the same.

Even though VZW is markedly lower than Tmo, AT&T and Sprint, they all were way above acceptable.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 7

Even though VZW is markedly lower than Tmo, AT&T and Sprint, they all were way above acceptable.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Levi's is an outdoor stadium, which had a substantially upgraded DAS, while NRG Stadium in Houston has earned the nickname "No Reception, Guaranteed", even though it has a retractable roof. There's clearly no macro network to fall back on if the DAS isn't up to snuff.

Based on those articles, it seems like a lot of work needs to go into that DAS for next February's game.

• Like 2

Must of been a pain being on TMo with video being limited to 1.5Mbps. But I'm sure that would help the networks congestion, largely on the upload.

Video is only limited if you have "Binge On" switched on.

f00dcabff449f0e8402b6ee5126ec5f6.jpg

Here it is !

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

It's important to keep in mind that these stats were compiled by T-Mobile using Ookla data. They could have easily manipulated the data.

Also, I'll say the same thing I did over at Reddit: Where are the measurement uncertainties? Data without uncertainties is useless. This is one reason I have a lot more respect for RootMetrics than other network performance measurements. At least RM uses statistically sound techniques for characterizing network performance.

Here's what T-Mobile's Neville Ray had to say about T-Mobile's performance at the Super Bowl.

See the chart: Sprint virtually tied for 2nd place with AT&T! Great job Sprint!

So let me get this straight. He is basically discrediting the time honored tradition of using sample of the population? Is that not what eveybody else from ookla to rootmetrics does?

You noticed how AT&T and Verizon threw out hard numbers in there report of how much data passed thru there systems Verizon with 68tb, AT&T with 28tb, and t-mobile saying how many snapchats went thru there network at the time. I wonder

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

You noticed how AT&T and Verizon threw out hard numbers in there report of how much data passed thru there systems Verizon with 68tb, AT&T with 28tb, and t-mobile saying how many snapchats went thru there network at the time. I wonder

http://www.tmonews.com/2016/02/t-mobile-reports-super-bowl-50-network-stats/

2.1 TB according to this article

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

So basically 2,000 people out of 84,000 were t-mobile subs if you go buy each one using about a gb of data, which means not that many.

So basically 2,000 people out of 84,000 were t-mobile subs if you go buy each one using about a gb of data, which means not that many.

Ya Verizon used 7 TB and AT&T had 5.2 TB but that's cuz the lions share of people there were on the big 2. Still waiting on Sprint numbers though

Edited by Camcroz

so it stands to reason that t mobile had the highest speeds, as they handled the least amount of data (excluding sprint as they have not said).  from the reports it looks like all 4 carries provided usable service that was able to provide 1080P streaming video... but really your at the super bowl, you shouldn't need to stream anything on your phone, nice to see people had the option to though. 

so it stands to reason that t mobile had the highest speeds, as they handled the least amount of data (excluding sprint as they have not said).  from the reports it looks like all 4 carries provided usable service that was able to provide 1080P streaming video... but really your at the super bowl, you shouldn't need to stream anything on your phone, nice to see people had the option to though. 

*Not quite.  On T-Mobile by default you have to go into your account settings and make changes if you want to watch 1080p video. It doesn't matter what the speedtests show.

I'm just pointing out BingeOn.

*Not quite. On T-Mobile by default you have to go into your account settings and make changes if you want to watch 1080p video. It doesn't matter what the speedtests show.

I'm just pointing out BingeOn.

good point I should have clarified, all carriers had the capability to stream 1080P provided proper set up. The point was all carriers provided enough bandwidth to carry out all reasonable tasks one could perform on a smart phone. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint said that its customers used about 1.6 terabytes of data in and around the stadium on game day, and that the distributed antenna system in the stadium saw a 150% increase in use compared to last year’s Super Bowl at University of Phoenix stadium. Traffic around Levi’s Stadium was 93% higher than outside last year’s Super Bowl, and Sprint added that “the biggest spikes in network traffic occurred just after the opening ceremony and immediately following the half time show.”

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160209/network-infrastructure/lte/super-bowl-gives-public-safety-glimpse-of-firstnet-tag6

1.6Tb looks to be the total according to RCR.

• Like 1

Still hoping Sprint actually releases an infographic like AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile have done, but at this point, I'm doubting it will.

Probably not, seems like they had the least amount of data usage. Why would they want to highlight that fact?

So. Cal isn't an ideal market for sprint, I wonder when the game is held in different parts of the country there is more usage.

Probably not, seems like they had the least amount of data usage. Why would they want to highlight that fact?

So. Cal isn't an ideal market for sprint, I wonder when the game is held in different parts of the country there is more usage.

Sprint published an infographic for the 2015 Super Bowl. See here.

See this FierceWireless Article. (The original link to Sprint's infographic from this article no longer works)

The game was held in Santa Clara, CA. That's not So. Cal.