Sprint Super Bowl Coverage/DAS

Santa Clara preparing for next year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_27469444/santa-clara-city-install-2-million-wireless-system

Santa Clara: City to install $2 million wireless system near Levi's Stadium in time for Super Bowl 50

SANTA CLARA -- The city of Santa Clara's electrical utility on Thursday announced it will partner with a tech company to install a $2 million wireless system near Levi's Stadium to alleviate phone and data congestion before the stadium hosts the 2016 Super Bowl.

[...]
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a Shark's hockey game on Saturday at Levi's stadium in Santa Clara.  Here are my observations:

* No one knew the Wi-Fi password or Wi-Fi was off.  I saw some tweets of people complaining about WiFi speeds, so I'm assuming they attended a game at the stadium before and Wi-Fi password was the same.

* Fastest speed test I got was .5 Mbit down on B41

* On many occasions, my phone would toggle between no-service and LTE every few seconds without ever getting a usable connection.  If DAS was on, it was clearly overloaded.  If DAS was off, then towers were overloaded.  

Either way, Sprint has a lot of work to do for next year.  

• Like 1

I was at a Shark's hockey game on Saturday at Levi's stadium in Santa Clara. Here are my observations:

* No one knew the Wi-Fi password or Wi-Fi was off. I saw some tweets of people complaining about WiFi speeds, so I'm assuming they attended a game at the stadium before and Wi-Fi password was the same.

* On many occasions, my phone would toggle between no-service and LTE every few seconds without ever getting a usable connection. If DAS was on, it was clearly overloaded. If DAS was off, then towers were overloaded.

Yikes! Did you report the speed/coverage issues to Sprint Zone? You can also manually input the address.

I was at a Shark's hockey game on Saturday at Levi's stadium in Santa Clara. Here are my observations:

* No one knew the Wi-Fi password or Wi-Fi was off. I saw some tweets of people complaining about WiFi speeds, so I'm assuming they attended a game at the stadium before and Wi-Fi password was the same.

* On many occasions, my phone would toggle between no-service and LTE every few seconds without ever getting a usable connection. If DAS was on, it was clearly overloaded. If DAS was off, then towers were overloaded.

Looks like 3 carriers will be needed

I was at a Shark's hockey game on Saturday at Levi's stadium in Santa Clara.  Here are my observations:

* No one knew the Wi-Fi password or Wi-Fi was off.  I saw some tweets of people complaining about WiFi speeds, so I'm assuming they attended a game at the stadium before and Wi-Fi password was the same.

* On many occasions, my phone would toggle between no-service and LTE every few seconds without ever getting a usable connection.  If DAS was on, it was clearly overloaded.  If DAS was off, then towers were overloaded.  

You ought to let Marcelo Claure (@marceloclaure) know about this....

• 3 months later...

RCRWireless has a good article on the DAS build in Levi's Stadium for the 2016 Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

Well once again no 2.5GHz support. Not surprised. At least there is WiFi available, that will perform better than any mobile network.
  • Like 1

RCRWireless has a good article on the DAS build in Levi's Stadium for the 2016 Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

Well once again no 2.5GHz support.

No 2.5GHz? Where does it say that? Did I miss it?

The article mentions nothing of BRS/EBS.  But never assume that omission automatically indicates negation.  So, basically, we do not know.

And I would not call it a "good" article.  For whatever reason, it feels like a foreigner -- someone not well versed in US sports or wireless -- wrote it.

Look at some of these excerpts:

The newly renovated $1.2 billion open stadium was opened to the public in August 2014 and has seating for 68,500 fans.

Levi's Stadium was built just last year; it was not renovated.

The deployment can be optimized by operators via flexible configuration with varying sector counts and provides 700SMR, 700PS, 800SMR, 800PS, AMPS, PCS and AWS services.

Well, I am relieved to know that the DAS supports AMPS.  There are so many analog users left in the Bay Area.

And what the heck are 700SMR, 700PS, and 800PS?  That is not standard terminology.  Or the writer got the bands wrong.

AJ

• Like 1

I see what you mean. The article is definitely a bit off in terms off in terms of the bands listed.

Did you also download/read the case study? There's some interesting info on the build.

Link: http://info.jmawireless.com/download-levis-stadium-case-study

• 3 months later...

The article mentions nothing of BRS/EBS.  But never assume that omission automatically indicates negation.  So, basically, we do not know.

And I would not call it a "good" article.  For whatever reason, it feels like a foreigner -- someone not well versed in US sports or wireless -- wrote it.

Look at some of these excerpts:

Levi's Stadium was built just last year; it was not renovated.

Well, I am relieved to know that the DAS supports AMPS.  There are so many analog users left in the Bay Area.

And what the heck are 700SMR, 700PS, and 800PS?  That is not standard terminology.  Or the writer got the bands wrong.

AJ

Just noticed this article: DGP upgrades Levi’s Stadium DAS in preparation for Super Bowl 50

Though there was more than enough cabling areas and pathways to make the retrofit easier, Dutto said working around the live events increased the deployment degree of difficulty. But even with new head end rooms and extras like under-seat DAS antennas (a new deployment method at Levi’s Stadium for DAS), 20-plus new antenna placements in the parking lot and the accomodation of new 2.5-GHz spectrum for Sprint, Dutto said that the new network was expected to be at least “90 percent complete” before the season’s start.

Fantastic news on this for Sprint... Could it be two carriers of 2.5 GHz?...

• Like 7

Also an article on how much data was used through the WiFi (and AT&T) during last week's game.

http://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2015/09/levis-stadium-monday-night-football-debut-sees-2-87-tb-of-wi-fi-traffic-874-gb-on-att-das/

I do not know whether it is an indication of bad planning -- especially in Silicon Valley -- or a sign of the apocalypse that a DAS at a year old stadium had to be redone and expanded already.  "Unlimited" wireless data needs to die, and people need to get back in the real world.  Otherwise, people should stop going to pro sporting events.  Stay at home, watch on the big screen across the living room -- at the few times when not staring at the small screen in hand.  Maybe, then, ticket prices for people who actually want to watch the pro sporting events in person will come back down to earth.

AJ

• Like 1

I do not know whether it is an indication of bad planning -- especially in Silicon Valley -- or a sign of the apocalypse that a DAS at a year old stadium had to be redone and expanded already. "Unlimited" wireless data needs to die, and people need to get back in the real world. Otherwise, people should stop going to pro sporting events. Stay at home, watch on the big screen across the living room -- at the few times when not staring at the small screen in hand. Maybe, then, ticket prices for people who actually want to watch the pro sporting events in person will come back down to earth.

AJ

From what I gathered, the article said that these upgrades were "carrier-driven". Sprint probably made a specific request to include 2.5 GHz.

"So even though the Levi’s Stadium DAS performed exceedingly well — according to Dutto “we turned it on and from day one it exceeded expectations” — and that there wasn’t any capacity problems during the Niners’ 2014 season, the expected impending crush coming in February spurred what Dutto called “carrier-driven upgrades” that included the need to take over some previous storage-room space to house the increased amount of head-end gear."

• Like 1

Anyone want to guess what the biggest data consumer is at sporting events on WiFi is? In a whole bunch of cases, it's iOS updates. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

it sure wouldn't be android updates, as they are very rare.  :rasp:   I bet snap chats of food is among the top... got to show every one those nachos that is very very important, or people steaming replays of the game they are at because they missed it while taking snap chats of their food.  :lol:   either way people need to spend less time on the phone while at these events, pay good money to sit on your phone at a sporting event? why bother going..... 

• Like 2

Anyone want to guess what the biggest data consumer is at sporting events on WiFi is? In a whole bunch of cases, it's iOS updates. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't, I'm not sure I understand. A good few of people don't even update their iPhones, and I highly doubt that if they did, it wouldn't be at a sporting event. Seems like an odd time to cause your device to go into a reboot cycle while it installs new software.

-Anthony

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't, I'm not sure I understand. A good few of people don't even update their iPhones, and I highly doubt that if they did, it wouldn't be at a sporting event. Seems like an odd time to cause your device to go into a reboot cycle while it installs new software.

That's when it downloads in the background. That's the issue here.

• Like 1

Huh. That's an awfully odd time for the update to download. Seems very odd to me.

-Anthony

the phone doesn't what wifi your on only that your hooked to wifi, so downloads like app updates or iOS updates would download the same as if you hooked up to your home wifi. But yes iOS updates seems a little strange, app updates I can total see happening, especially with the release of iOS 9. I get 5-10 app updates per day. Some of them large 1 gig+. And some of them happen over public wifi, and cellular data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the phone doesn't what wifi your on only that your hooked to wifi, so downloads like app updates or iOS updates would download the same as if you hooked up to your home wifi. But yes iOS updates seems a little strange, app updates I can total see happening, especially with the release of iOS 9. I get 5-10 app updates per day. Some of them large 1 gig+. And some of them happen over public wifi, and cellular data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I understand app updates, as iOS 8 brought automatic app updates. But iOS updates, as in OS updates, I feel wouldn't be getting downloaded at that time. Not because of what network the device is connected to, but because typically when a new iOS version is realeased, it is typically early to mid-week, and they are usually in the morning, and the automatic download would occur a few days, or less, later. It just seems odd to me that OS updates would be getting downloaded that often.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I do not know whether it is an indication of bad planning -- especially in Silicon Valley -- or a sign of the apocalypse that a DAS at a year old stadium had to be redone and expanded already.  "Unlimited" wireless data needs to die, and people need to get back in the real world.  Otherwise, people should stop going to pro sporting events.  Stay at home, watch on the big screen across the living room -- at the few times when not staring at the small screen in hand.  Maybe, then, ticket prices for people who actually want to watch the pro sporting events in person will come back down to earth.

AJ

When I went there last year, the WiFi was using WPA with no keys published on the ticket or anywhere obvious.  That forced me to Sprint's network which was useless.  Given that one selling point is to order food and beer with your phone to have it delivered to your seat, I was disappointed when I couldn't use it.