T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I think its one of those features either people will view as not being needed or others that really love it and use it regularly.

How would you plan to use the feature? With my Google voice integration, I primarily use it to text from my tablet and desktop using the Hangouts extension in chrome. With Google continually fragmenting their own messaging services with new apps I don't have any expectations the service will last past next year especially with Hangouts losing sms support completely.

It's my hope Google (and Microsoft for that matter) come up with a unified messaging platform that can work across devices using your account rather than specific carrier device similar to what Apple did with iMessage. That way we wouldn't have to rely on a carrier implementation feature like digits, or Google voice integration and it's adoption could be more widespread.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How would you plan to use the feature? With my Google voice integration, I primarily use it to text from my tablet and desktop using the Hangouts extension in chrome. With Google continually fragmenting their own messaging services with new apps I don't have any expectations the service will last past next year especially with Hangouts losing sms support completely.

It's my hope Google (and Microsoft for that matter) come up with a unified messaging platform that can work across devices using your account rather than specific carrier device similar to what Apple did with iMessage. That way we wouldn't have to rely on a carrier implementation feature like digits, or Google voice integration and it's adoption could be more widespread.

Its true that the ecosystem of smartphones is primarily consisted of Android and iOS devices. I definitely do not blame T-Mobile for not having made a Digits app available for other operating systems, just that I don't believe they should not have some sort of other form of access to Digits through a website, or say putting a section up for it on MyT-Mobile. T-Mobile really doesn't need to have an app for it, same with T-Mobile Tuesdays, as they could just integrate it in MyT-Mobile that easily is available to everyone.

The reason I believe T-Mobile is doing this Digits service, is a way to keep relevancy beyond just being a carrier and device provider of other manufacturer's devices. Other carriers are trying to come up with their own stuff too, and I generally agree with others who say this stuff isn't really needed, and that carriers would be better off as a "dumb pipe", allowing a free flow of unlocked devices and services sold elsewhere through the marketplace.

My own reasons for wanting to use Digits, is so when my mother gets my Lumia device, she has full control over its use between that and the Lumia, so she can freely choose whether to bring the Lumia with her, or into places or not where she can use her same number on the smartwatch as on her phone, without having to get a different smartphone that has the same manufacturer as the watch with its own Digits-like feature to it.

My own reasons for wanting to use Digits, is so when my mother gets my Lumia device, she has full control over its use between that and the Lumia, so she can freely choose whether to bring the Lumia with her, or into places or not where she can use her same number on the smartwatch as on her phone, without having to get a different smartphone that has the same manufacturer as the watch with its own Digits-like feature to it.

Or she could just carry one device like everyone else...

I don't see the need for Digits, especially if you aren't employed or run your own business. Those are the only two use-cases that make sense to me. 

We've had similar integration for years from Apple (iOS Continuity) or Google Voice, yet when T-Mobile does it, it's suddenly a big deal? Give me a break...

Windows doesn't have a lot of marketshare for mobile phones. 

Windows Mobile hasn't been relevant for a long time. Microsoft basically killed off their hardware division. I think HP makes a new Windows phone though?

Edited by WiseGuy321

I don't have any issue with T-Mobile not supporting Windows smartphones. 

If you don't have any issues with it, why do you keep spamming us about it?

99% of your posts can be cut down to a single sentence.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

If you don't have any issues with it, why do you keep spamming us about it?

99% of your posts can be cut down to a single sentence.

Your complaining of Arysyn and his writing style is getting just as annoying as his posts.

We get it, you don't like his posting style. But I have a two simple solutions for you. Either scroll past his posts or use the block feature of the site. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Your complaining of Arysyn and his writing style is getting just as annoying as his posts.

We get it, you don't like his posting style. But I have a two simple solutions for you. Either scroll past his posts or use the block feature of the site. Problem solved.

Thank you. Don't like what someone says, don't read it. Block them if you like. Don't complain about it. Everyone is completely entitled to their opinion(s) and one wants to hear your complaints.

• Like 1

My point was that he said he doesn't have an issue with TMo ignoring Windows Mobile, yet he spends the next 2-3 paragraphs outlining why he does have an issue with it... 

Edited by WiseGuy321

My point was that he said he doesn't have an issue with TMo ignoring Windows Mobile, yet he spends the next 2-3 paragraphs outlining why he does have an issue with it...

You complain of his long posts, yet here we are ironically clogging up space talking about it. Your constant complaining of him is bordering personal attack. If there was no way to avoid his posts, then I would feel for you. Fortunately, this site offers just what you need.

I've offered two simple solutions. You can either take them or leave them. But one thing I do ask is that we drop the constant complaints that single out one user.

So if you don't mind, I'd like to drop this and get back to topic.

• Like 1

That is not true. I'll say this one more time for you, then that is it...

My problem with T-Mobile in what they are doing with Digits is not, again NOT that they are not supporting Windows Lumia by not having an app for it. I completely support that. T-Mobile doesn't have an app for T-MobileTuesdays either, yet I'm not complaining about that either, nor at least up until now have you even accused me of that.

I'll tell you what I AM complaining about, which I haven't even made a post about in a few days here, so quit accusing me of constantly complaining, The only person who was discussing it with me was Travis, and perhaps he disagrees with me, maybe not, but at least he seems satisfied I answered his questions as he hasn't had any further response to it. Only you are making a big deal of this.

Anyways, the problem I DO Have with T-Mobile of the Digits service, according to TmoNews, T-Mobile is not offering an alternative way to view the Digits service screen from any smartphone via a website, unlike T-MobileTuesdays, which allows anyone to view it on any device without an app. So again, I'm not complaining about T-Mobile not making an app for Windows Lumia, but restricting the viewing By Any Means on non-Android/iOS devices.

There is a clear difference between the two statements. T-Mobile could implement a website, as they do with T-MobileTuesdays. They could implement Digits into the MyT-Mobile app, which they actually have the MTM app available for Windows Lumia. So while you and some other people may not agree with me/be important to you, it is important to me and possibly other people with non-Android/iOS devices.

• Like 1

You complain of his long posts, yet here we are ironically clogging up space talking about it. Your constant complaining of him is bordering personal attack. If there was no way to avoid his posts, then I would feel for you. Fortunately, this site offers just what you need.

I've offered two simple solutions. You can either take them or leave them. But one thing I do ask is that we drop the constant complaints that single out one user.

So if you don't mind, I'd like to drop this and get back to topic.

Thank you, greenbastard, and also to RAvirani who posted earlier addressing WiseGuy.

I'm totally fine dropping the issue with Digits now, as I have been since a few days ago when I answered Travis' post to me. I've actually posted less the past few days here on S4GRU, other than addressing the few here who've been complaining about me. I addressed that on the last page, and was hoping that was the end of the complaining. I've explained everything I needed to about that. I agree, lets move on.

Why not move over to an Android or iPhone? Windows mobile seems nice, but there are just better options with Google and Apple regarding the whole device and app ecosystem. Until Microsoft does something to gain some more marketshare you're kind of setting yourself up for disappointment not being able to use new services as they come out.

• Like 1

Why not move over to an Android or iPhone? Windows mobile seems nice, but there are just better options with Google and Apple regarding the whole device and app ecosystem. Until Microsoft does something to gain some more marketshare you're kind of setting yourself up for disappointment not being able to use new services as they come out.

I'm planning to eventually get an Android, with my mother getting an iPhone 8 at the very end of this year/early next year. I'm either going to get a Sony Xperia XZ Premium, or wait until the Note 8. I'm trying to coordinate what smartphone I'm going to get based on connectivity with what brand of tv I'm getting, for compatibility reasons.

I'm going to be busier the next few days exploring options.

• Like 1

I'm planning to eventually get an Android, with my mother getting an iPhone 8 at the very end of this year/early next year. I'm either going to get a Sony Xperia XZ Premium, or wait until the Note 8. I'm trying to coordinate what smartphone I'm going to get based on connectivity with what brand of tv I'm getting, for compatibility reasons.

I'm going to be busier the next few days exploring options.

Samsung sets have some pretty neat integration with the newer samsung phones. I didn't play with it much but it seemed to do remote control, screen projection and screen mirroring. It wa sso easy to setup it managed to do it without my asking (not sure thats a good thing). I was just setting up the TV's and my phone vibrated and announced it had found the TV' and did I want to mirror my screen. 

• Like 1

Samsung sets have some pretty neat integration with the newer samsung phones. I didn't play with it much but it seemed to do remote control, screen projection and screen mirroring. It wa sso easy to setup it managed to do it without my asking (not sure thats a good thing). I was just setting up the TV's and my phone vibrated and announced it had found the TV' and did I want to mirror my screen.

Samsung definitely likes to have their own products integrate with each other, which since that is important to me, Samsung is a consideration for a television, though I'm iffy about getting one of the new QLEDs. I'll explain that soon in the 4K Televisions thread.

As I've been considering the switch the past few days, I really like the new Verizon 24 smartwatch. I wish XfinityMobile carried it on their new service, or another LTE-enabled smartwatch for my mother. I'd probably get the LG XPower temporarily, until the Note 8 is available. The reason being, is I have Xfinity for Home Internet at 300Mbps download, and it has been working great. Be nice to bundle those services.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Tmobile provides an update on LTE-U progress rollout in their Q2 Earnings CC.  I wonder if there is a way to track it via SCP or any of those signal monitoring tools to see if it is live.

Is there an available radio in phones that can use this feature yet? I have not heard about LTE U as a feature in any device releases yet. I am excited to see some form of deployment plan as well.

The only Tmobile phone that is released that can support LTE-U is the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+. The LG G6 does not have the proper hardware to support LTE-U.

Looks like T-Mobile is moving right along with it's 600Mhz spectrum deployment: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/t-mobiles-new-600-mhz-network-rollout-begins-this-summer.htm

If Neville Ray can pull this off then I would say this is amazing and the other carriers really missed out. He did say that no carrier deploys spectrum faster than Tmobile which is true. If Sprint deployed spectrum as fast as T-Mobile they would have the mobile game on lock.
  • Like 3

If Neville Ray can pull this off then I would say this is amazing and the other carriers really missed out. He did say that no carrier deploys spectrum faster than Tmobile which is true. If Sprint deployed spectrum as fast as T-Mobile they would have the mobile game on lock.

The amount of Sprint spectrum that remains unemployed is really amazing, especially since sprint keeps saying that it is cheap to do and there are growing number of areas that are over burned. I think this is my peraonal pain point with Sprint. Put the spectrum on air, for the love of god.

• Like 5

The amount of Sprint spectrum that remains unemployed is really amazing, especially since sprint keeps saying that it is cheap to do and there are growing number of areas that are over burned. I think this is my peraonal pain point with Sprint. Put the spectrum on air, for the love of god.

Totally agreed.  Why Sprint didn't just jump straight to 3xCA B41 LTE and begin deploying it is last year is beyond me.  Why do incremental upgrades like that when they know they need to come out with a bang and provide as much capacity as possible. These interference issues with 800 MHz are just ridiculous and I am going to be mad if Tmobile is able to deploy 600 MHz LTE in Los Angeles before B26 LTE and that 600 MHz is scheduled to be cleared by mid 2019.  If B26 LTE is not deployed by mid 2019 in Los Angeles it will literally be hopeless that it will ever happen.

Or why not just put the addition carriers on air and do a series of 2xca.

Because not all the spectrum is contiguous and sprint devices cannot yet do non-contiguous CA. Non contiguous carriers would be mostly unused as CA devices are constantly utilizing the carriers that are CA Enabled. Side effect is decreased network performance as it switches from 8 transmit to 4 transmit antennas per TX chain at basically no useful capacity gains.

For the contiguous markets its a great ? For sure. HC 2.5 sites with 6x20 carriers would obliterate the others but the macro network is not really the priority these days....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Because not all the spectrum is contiguous and sprint devices cannot yet do non-contiguous CA. Non contiguous carriers would be mostly unused as CA devices are constantly utilizing the carriers that are CA Enabled. Side effect is decreased network performance as it switches from 8 transmit to 4 transmit antennas per TX chain at basically no useful capacity gains.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Does that mean that part of Sprint large hord of spectrum is currently useless?