T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

One thing I've noticed that when on a voice call with T-Mobile subs. The calls drops frequently to the point that it's hard to hold conversations. Does T-Mobile have a lot of dropped VoLTE calls?

People, stop quoting each other every time when replying to the post right above yours.  That is like having a personal conversation with someone, and every time you speak, you say, "Well, danlodish345, you just said, 'Yadda yadda yadda.'  Now, here is what I think.  Blah blah blah."

Highly redundant.

AJ

• Like 1

Being a Sprint, Vzw, and Tmobile sub. There's no better carrier then Vzw. Hands down. Even with them getting hit hard with going to unlimited. They're re going to invest to meet all there needs.

Nextel, was once ran like that. Sadly, it never took hold at Sprint.

I had Verizon for a week some months ago prior to switching back to T-Mobile. I didn't leave Verizon because of their network, as their network was fine, no signal and no speed issues whatsoever. The reason for leaving Verizon was due to a major billing error caused by the corporate retail store salesperson we were dealing with, who prior to finding this out, I thought he was one of the best wireless salespeople I've ever dealt with.

Verizon generally seems to have more knowledgeable and professional salespeople at their retail stores, than the other carriers do, even though those at Verizon are a bit arrogant in their position. However, the issue with the billing was bad enough, and at the time T-Mobile was offering two lines for one with unlimited HD, along with the Hookup Discount offer. So, my mother and I switched back to T-Mobile.

Still, I'm not doubting Verizon's network from my own experience with them. Yet , its been a while since I left them. John Legere claims Verizon's network is suffering from Unlimited Data impacting its network speeds. Now, I don't particularly trust John Legere, and people here know of my discontent regarding Legere being at T-Mobile and my general negative view of him. However, if he's being truthful about Verizon, then of course Verizon ought to be deploying this spectrum, just the same as Sprint ought to be doing. After all, I'm less of a fan of spectrum squatters than I am of John Legere, and at least T-Mobile is using its spectrum. They just really need more of it.

Verizon easily beats out T-Mobile in my area for speed reliability in and quality in coverage but also they are not using 800 MHz yet for LTE it's still for CDMA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dan,

I believe you, but also consider perhaps in your area Verizon might be using more spectrum than T-Mobile even has available to use there.

I'm not trying to defend T-Mobile, and they certainly have their faults I openly acknowledge, but they are very short of spectrum in certain markets. Once T-Mobile gets their 600mhz spectrum operating, and I have no reason to doubt T-Mobile won't use all of that spectrum as they are trying to do with the limited amount of spectrum they have now, T-Mobile will have a great network.

I'm more concerned about John Legere's antics being a problem for T-Mobile than their network in the future. Quite a few of those people complaining to him now about their issues with T-Mobile are getting very rude responses from him. That certainly is bad for T-Mobile, just as his cult-like megachurch-inspired conferences with T-Mobile employees.

Hi Dan,

I believe you, but also consider perhaps in your area Verizon might be using more spectrum than T-Mobile even has available to use there.

I'm not trying to defend T-Mobile, and they certainly have their faults I openly acknowledge, but they are very short of spectrum in certain markets. Once T-Mobile gets their 600mhz spectrum operating, and I have no reason to doubt T-Mobile won't use all of that spectrum as they are trying to do with the limited amount of spectrum they have now, T-Mobile will have a great network.

I'm more concerned about John Legere's antics being a problem for T-Mobile than their network in the future. Quite a few of those people complaining to him now about their issues with T-Mobile are getting very rude responses from him. That certainly is bad for T-Mobile, just as his cult-like megachurch-inspired conferences with T-Mobile employees.

I agree with you I'm gonna message you if you don't mind

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Am I the only person who finds it ironic that TMobile claims the "Verizon network advantage" is gone, yet they constantly try to buy Verizon customers with these gimmicks?

If the network was good enough, people would naturally switch over.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who finds it ironic that TMobile claims the "Verizon network advantage" is gone, yet they constantly try to buy Verizon customers with these gimmicks?

If the network was good enough, people would naturally switch over.

I do feel like this new promo T-Mobile has that is targeting Verizon customers using iPhones and Pixel phone is a desperate move masked as a promo. I think T-Mobile is seeing more port outs than usual to Verizon for their unlimited offer. Vzw unlimited offering is more noticeable now than it was when it popped up in February.

Not discrediting T-Mobile because their network is definitely getting better and stronger. If they had a quarter where they ran no promos, the net adds wouldn't be as high. They are a carrier that is has built a foundation that is reliant on promos to get people through the door. But Verizon and I would even say AT&T network advantage is far from over.

• Like 1

Yes, I do... Was thinking taking over my business lines back to sprint. But with my personal line I've been having issues. And I'm currently in the holy grail of markets-Chicago.

Do you have Verizon wireless?

then of course Verizon ought to be deploying this spectrum,

You're forgetting that Verizon has far more legacy customers than T-Mobile. Customers who have non-LTE devices and don't want to upgrade.

That spectrum currently houses EVDO and 1x. They're slowly sunsetting older technology for LTE.

Verizon can't just pull EVDO offline, like TMo has done with HSPA in some markets.

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not with Verizon anymore after reading about how they are only using half of their spectrum for LTE. If John Legere is to be believed, then Verizon ought yo be deploying their spectrum for LTE just as Sprint should with band 41. I'm not sure how these carriers could be content with seeing their speeds drop, if they easily could do something about it by deploying more spectrum.

I'd really like to know how much spectrum T-Mobile is using. If they're actually using it, then that validates T-Mobile's network claims and I'll respect John Legere for speaking up on the issue.

Really not true. The Chicago market for example has 60-70 MHz deployed for LTE and 25 MHz left on CDMA for now. Pretty much everywhere I've been lately including very rural areas has more spectrum deployed on LTE than CDMA.

You're forgetting that Verizon has far more legacy customers than T-Mobile. Customers who have non-LTE devices and don't want to upgrade.

That spectrum currently houses EVDO and 1x. They're slowly sunsetting older technology for LTE.

Verizon can't just pull EVDO offline, like TMo has done with HSPA in some markets.

Not really many of those left. EVDO has already been moved off PCS and only a few 850 channels left in my area for example and it's never congested. 1x OTOH I'm sure still sees a lot of use.

• Like 1

That is true about Verizon's legacy customers needing to be served by the other spectrum, though I question why they gave the 50% figure. If the other 50% of the spectrum truly is all being used for the non-LTE technologies, then Verizon may not be doing enough to get people to start switching to LTE.

I think there ought to be more incentives to do so. One of them in my opinion, is to merge the device installments of ownership with leasing. Such as having a 12-month lease period, with leasing of $5 per month for every $100 MSRP, $#49 to $#99 costs rounded up, under $#49 being used as a downpayment, then at the end of the term, either trade-in and continue to pay it off til full MSRP payment has been met.

I realize this idea wouldn't completely resolve the issue, but doing something regarding making an enticing offer on devices such as or similar to this would help. I know Verizon already has some of the best offers already on devices, which I think would be making a positive impact as it is on getting people on LTE devices.

Really not true. The Chicago market for example has 60-70 MHz deployed for LTE and 25 MHz left on CDMA for now. Pretty much everywhere I've been lately including very rural areas has more spectrum deployed on LTE than CDMA.

Not really many of those left. EVDO has already been moved off PCS and only a few 850 channels left in my area for example and it's never congested. 1x OTOH I'm sure still sees a lot of use.

I'll never doubt people here on S4GRU regarding their word against anything John Legere says. I don't trust him, obviously. Although, when he says something as he's been saying lately against Verizon, I have to at least take his word on the value of what he could be saying is so untrue that could possibly put him into trouble. I have to admit it looks like this claim about Verizon's speeds might do that, unkess he can back it up somehow

While spectrum isn't the only factor in determining speeds, obviously network is a big deal too, from site location, backhaul, etc. I've heard from many people verifying the positive reviews Verizon gets, but also some that say there needs to be more towers for the mid-band spectrum, and that Verizon was built mainly for its low-band spectrum. This could be a possible reason, if indeed the speeds are slowing.

I know if I get too frustrated again by Legere, enough to pass up the great discounted rate I have with T-Mobile, then I may end up going to Sprint or Verizon, though not directly through Verizon. I have Xfinity for Home Internet. I might get the Xfinity Wireless service to go with that.

I think there ought to be more incentives to do so. One of them in my opinion, is to merge the device installments of ownership with leasing. Such as having a 12-month lease period, with leasing of $5 per month for every $100 MSRP, $#49 to $#99 costs rounded up, under $#49 being used as a downpayment, then at the end of the term, either trade-in and continue to pay it off til full MSRP payment has been met.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15298-1344610941-1.

• Like 2

Why should Verizon incentivize these things? They have nearly 2x the customers of T-Mobile or Sprint. 

On the topic of leasing, it's not a great idea. $5 a month for every $100 of MSRP is ridiculous. Device prices are far too high and resale value is far too low be handing out phones at that price point. Not to mention, the large balloon payment that would be required at the end of the lease if you want to keep the phone.

Why should Verizon incentivize these things? They have nearly 2x the customers of T-Mobile or Sprint.

On the topic of leasing, it's not a great idea. $5 a month for every $100 of MSRP is ridiculous. Device prices are far too high and resale value is far too low be handing out phones at that price point. Not to mention, the large balloon payment that would be required at the end of the lease if you want to keep the phone.

I saw my phones on eBay for pretty much full price my phones are in Flawless condition so Verizon and all the other carriers do charge too much though for the phone I finance my device if I choose a cell phone carrier I don't pay for it out right the whole thing. Still the carrier's subsidizing the device was still the way to go

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw my phones on eBay for pretty much full price my phones are in Flawless condition so Verizon

I find that hard to believe. With the rampant discounting of Androids, resale values have completely tanked.

Google was selling the Pixel for pennies on the dollar for Black Friday last year too.

I find that hard to believe. With the rampant discounting of Androids, resale values have completely tanked.

Google was selling the Pixel for pennies on the dollar for Black Friday last year too.

Not all my phones though....lets keep this thread on topic...

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not with Verizon anymore after reading about how they are only using half of their spectrum for LTE. If John Legere is to be believed, then Verizon ought yo be deploying their spectrum for LTE just as Sprint should with band 41. I'm not sure how these carriers could be content with seeing their speeds drop, if they easily could do something about it by deploying more spectrum.

I'd really like to know how much spectrum T-Mobile is using. If they're actually using it, then that validates T-Mobile's network claims and I'll respect John Legere for speaking up on the issue.

There is huge lack of specification in the 50% claim.  Its most likely more of a nationwide average.  Holdings vary so much, and only so much will be deployed in those areas.  VZW Tweeted last year that they are using like 90MHz of LTE in NYC, which is something like 80% of their spectrum holdings there.

There really is no nationwide set amount of spectrum usage.  It is market by market. 

• Like 1

After being in East Kentucky over the weekend, it really hammers how how horrible the TMobile coverage map is, and it isn't even 700A coverage!  Once they get 700A deployed there, I if the map doens't change at all, it will be a little more accurate, but still far from it. 

• Like 1

I'll use an example here of my thinking for the $5 on every $100 idea.

Apple's program for the iPhone Plus model is around $45 monthly for a $900 phone, which is exactly $5 for every $100 of MSRP. Plus, you can trade it in after a year to upgrade. It is something I have considered getting in the past. I'm sure any wireless carrier could implement some sort of system like this with a flat fee, then small down payments, if necessary, or reimbursements at the end.

I admitted in the previous post that Verizon already is incentivizing trying to get customers over to LTE devices by offering their great deals on devices, such as amazing trade-in offers. Verizon should want to get their customers over on LTE as quickly as they can, as LTE is a huge advantage for the network over the older technologies.

You are aware that 95% of those trade-in offers are only for users with recent smartphones right...?

Unless the policy has changed to be that way with the latest offers.

Some of the past offers made by Verizon were very generous, according to the Verizon employees I spoke with back when I was seeking out the best fitting carrier for my needs. If Verizon has changed that to be more restrictive to recent smartphones, then obviously they are no longer using this to get people onto LTE. Again though, that would be different from what I was aware of from past promotions.

It isn't really off topic. The posts were a continuation on the issue of what John Legere has been saying in the ads against Verizon. I decided to be devil's advocate in a way to suggest what if John Legere was right about Verizon, and a few responded with their thoughts regarding the state of Verizon in how Legere is wrong or not being honest. WiseGuy321 was the latest to respond to me by giving a perspective from the Verizon point of view, and also updating me of a few things regarding Verizon that counters what Legere was saying.

So in all, as it formed from John Legere's commentary, it is on topic. It would be different if we just suddenly brought up another carrier with no connection with T-Mobile in the news currently.