T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

That does seem much more logical to me. I mean I thought the FCC would consider it a monopoly on the Spectrum

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Spectrum certainly is one aspect where I've been hesitant to believe a deal between Sprint and T-Mobile could be approved. The combined spectrum amounts between the two companies would be huge, and it probably would be a concern even for Trump's pro-business FCC administration.

However, I doubt T-Mobile would be willing to lose any of its spectrum in a deal. It needs the spectrum it has in order to operate functionally, which is similar with Sprint's mediocre PCS spectrum holdings. I once was in favor of Sprint getting rid of PCS, but only if it had a strong, very well deployed and densified band 41 network. Without band 41 being properly constructed on the network, obviously Sprint needs that PCS spectrum.

It also is very doubtful Sprint is going to give up any of its band 41 spectrum. It is too valuable, and I'd think worth more than having T-Mobile at this point. AT&T divested some of its low-band spectrum back when it acquired Cricket, which I think if Sprint and T-Mobile were to merge, giving up the 800mhz spectrum would be the easy, most realistic choice., especially since T-Mobile has 700mhz in the important markets, and 600mhz in the near future.

Spectrum certainly is one aspect where I've been hesitant to believe a deal between Sprint and T-Mobile could be approved. The combined spectrum amounts between the two companies would be huge, and it probably would be a concern even for Trump's pro-business FCC administration.

However, I doubt T-Mobile would be willing to lose any of its spectrum in a deal. It needs the spectrum it has in order to operate functionally, which is similar with Sprint's mediocre PCS spectrum holdings. I once was in favor of Sprint getting rid of PCS, but only if it had a strong, very well deployed and densified band 41 network. Without band 41 being properly constructed on the network, obviously Sprint needs that PCS spectrum.

It also is very doubtful Sprint is going to give up any of its band 41 spectrum. It is too valuable, and I'd think worth more than having T-Mobile at this point. AT&T divested some of its low-band spectrum back when it acquired Cricket, which I think if Sprint and T-Mobile were to merge, giving up the 800mhz spectrum would be the easy, most realistic choice., especially since T-Mobile has 700mhz in the important markets, and 600mhz in the near future.

I'm just very interested to see what they'll do. I'm rooting for both carriers to succeed though

I'm just very interested to see what they'll do. I'm rooting for both carriers to succeed though

I've certainly have become more supportive to the idea since reading about Sprint's improvements in Lombard, a town nearby to me I very often travel to. It has advantages over the Dish merger possibility, which I'm also in favor of and believe it has more likeliness to happen than with Sprint. Although possibly all three could merge, which in that case some of Dish's spectrum would be divested.

You have monkeys in your colon, AJ? You might want to get a colonic to get rid of that. If the practioner notices bananas, be worried!

If you do not know the "monkeys might fly out of my butt" reference, then you are too young or lacking in pop culture literacy.

As for your other posts, you offered nothing but what may happen based upon idle speculation.  The point remains: nobody knows.

Sprint absorbed Clearwire without any spectrum loss -- and that was under the Obama administration -- so divestment hardly would be a given.  Above all, though, a merger may not occur.  Even if it were to happen, a consent decree and any fallout from it would be many moons from now.

People, this is a discussion forum, but that does not mean any and all topics are ripe for discussion ad nauseam.

AJ

• Like 2

If you do not know the "monkeys might fly out of my butt" reference, then you are too young or lacking in pop culture literacy.

As for your other posts, you offered nothing but what may happen based upon idle speculation. The point remains: nobody knows.

Sprint absorbed Clearwire without any spectrum loss -- and that was under the Obama administration -- so divestment hardly would be a given. Above all, though, a merger may not occur. Even if it were to happen, a consent decree and any fallout from it would be many moons from now.

People, this is a discussion forum, but that does not mean any and all topics are ripe for discussion ad nauseam.

AJ

AJ, I really don't care about pop culture, or my lack of literacy on such subjects. I have a severe terminal illness to worry about, with chronic pain daily, the fact I barely can walk, and I worry every day about my health getting worse and where it leaves me being able to survive in a cold, heartless society this is. So no, I do not have the time to learn the pop culture references for monkeys flying out of people's rectums or wherever else this mindless pop culture references to.

Regarding my understandings of wireless and well, my reasons for participating here, I do it because I like technology and I respect people who value it and persue its advances, even those simply participating on an online forum such as this. I keep aware of the going ons with carriers, hoping there be more cooperation between them for the advancement of wireless technology and its networks to better peoples' lives. I see Sprint and T-Mobile possibly coming together in a merger as a good thing, and am not ashamed to speak about it.

However, you are right about the uncertainty of it. The merger may or may not happen. Still, it is something to keep informed about through the updates in the news and to discuss when there've been updates. I of course wanted to answer Dan's questions earlier based on my general knowledge from past mergers that there may be some spectrum divestment, and what I thought might come of it, if so. My opinion being the 800mhz spectrum, if any.

Also AJ, please read the 4k Television thread, if you haven't already prior to reading this. Seems you were right all along about the Sony A1e being a 2016 panel. I still haven't got my new tv yet, as I have been figuring things out future wise, particularly the possibility of moving. Wherever I go, it'll be in a better market for T-Mobile than Chicago. My mother has been having bad call signal lately on her phone.

Well, this is some good new for T-Mobile users, regarding an increase to the deprioritization threshold :

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/05/t-mobile-increases-deprioritization-threshold-32gb/

Now for my own comments regarding this, while I think this is a good thing, I'd rather these increases be in 5gb increases, such as 35, 40, 45, etc. To me at least, its easier to keep track of. I know T-Mobile sends usage reminders, so I'm not really complaining about it, just stating my preference.

I wonder when, or even if, the other carriers will increase theirs.

Now for my own comments regarding this, while I think this is a good thing, I'd rather these increases be in 5gb increases, such as 35, 40, 45, etc. To me at least, its easier to keep track of. I know T-Mobile sends usage reminders, so I'm not really complaining about it, just stating my preference.

I don't think it really matters, it's just nice that they actually raised it. I'd be much happier if they'd up the kickback threshold since the wifi at my work is garbage.

• Like 1

I don't think it really matters, it's just nice that they actually raised it. I'd be much happier if they'd up the kickback threshold since the wifi at my work is garbage.

Hmm T-Mobile by me crawls during rush hour so the threshold for me is already reached so I get slowed way down which is fine.

What I would have liked to have seen is for T-Mobile to up the deprioritization threshold to 35gb and the kickback amount to 5gb, especially considering the old average data usage according to Verizon, at least, was 5gb. If thats the case, then people using under 5gb, and not taking advantage of unlimited data going up into the 20gb and higher range, ought to receive that compensation. I'd even like to see the kickback discount go from $10 to $15.

Not that I ever qualify for Kickback, as my data usage usually is around 15gb to 25gb monthly, but for my mother's line, she currently isn't using any data, due to not having a smartphone at the moment, only her very old Samsung bar phone, while she waits for me to get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium, which at that point, she'll get the Microsoft Lumia 950xl to use, until Apple releases the OLED iPhone. Her data usage with a smartphone likely will be between 2gb to 4gb monthly.

Tmobile will easily take a lot of verizon customers away with their latest promotion. Verizon will probably drop to #2 below AT&T due to this #getoutofthered promo.

I'd be very surprised if this doesn't happen. Basically, I agree with you and I find the timing of this so interesting. I've seen a few articles suggesting this ought to be a better quarter for Verizon than last. Yet, this promotion is timed so well, it ought to make an impact on it.

I'm also happy with the Digits feature being offered and I plan on using it eventually when a new LTE-equipped Android Wear Smartwatch becomes available on T-Mobile. I really don't want to have a new telephone number for it, so its nice that now I can just use my current one I picked out using Skype's wonderful number picker back when I transferred it to wireless.

Still, I think the 2 added line for one deal is a bit disappointing. I'd like to see either or both a promotion for a free line come back, plus the other idea I had that would be nice is either half off an upgrade to One Plus International, or two for one upgrade for it. Along with a price reduction for One Plus International from $25 monthly down to $15 monthly per line.

What do you think verizon will do to comeback at tmobile? Do you think they will just stay silent and keep everything the same?

seeing Verizon's patterns when it comes to T-Mobile they may just stay the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

seeing Verizon's patterns when it comes to T-Mobile they may just stay the same

Then they should be prepared to lose about 10mil subscribers this round rightfully so.

• Like 1

What do you think verizon will do to comeback at tmobile? Do you think they will just stay silent and keep everything the same?

seeing Verizon's patterns when it comes to T-Mobile they may just stay the same I would have to say you are right and with the new LTE spectrum they got they will easily be able to match the coverage area of Verizon if it's deployed properly and tuned right

• Like 1

I'm not sure what they will do, if anything. However, what I'd like them to do, is to offer a Cricket-like speed cap plan, but better than AT&T's Unlimited Choice, and have it integrated into a single plan, with the option to remove the speed cap for $15 additional per line. Here is how I'd like to see it priced :

With a 9mbps speed cap : One line is $60 monthly. Two lines are $90 monthly. $30 monthly each additional line. No tethering. Removal of smartphone/tablet speed cap at $15 monthly per line. Unlimited 4G tethering always limited to 9mbps, regardless of smartphone/tablet speed cap removal at $15 monthly per line. Then increase the deprioritization to 30gb monthly per line.

Verizon then ought to offer a deprioritization removal pass for $15 monthly per line, but only on lines that don't have a speed cap removal. This would really help to sell the cheaper speed cap plans, which at 9mbps, would win alot of people over with the rate being low and their network quality.

Then they should be prepared to lose about 10mil subscribers this round rightfully so.

T-Mobile's network is nowhere near anything as stable as Verizon's network. I just did a project using T-Mobile and Verizon as backhaul for a test, and T-Mobile's coverage was sorely lacking 5 minutes away from city center.

Side by side, Verizon is > 50mbps while T-Mobile is around 3mbps.

• Like 5

T-Mobile's network is nowhere near anything as stable as Verizon's network. I just did a project using T-Mobile and Verizon as backhaul for a test, and T-Mobile's coverage was sorely lacking 5 minutes away from city center.

Side by side, Verizon is > 50mbps while T-Mobile is around 3mbps.

Verizon still has the best network, but they definitely are losing customers to T-Mobile. They really need to do something to reverse their losses. However, I really don't think a promotional offer is going to help them. Besides, Verizon's network is being negatively affected by their Unlimited Data plan users. That is why I believe a great solution for this is to offer a cheaper speed capped plan for bandwidth, then offer additional options, such as I've suggested as incentives for people to better manage network traffic, while competing on price where it matters.

Tmobile will easily take a lot of verizon customers away with their latest promotion. Verizon will probably drop to #2 below AT&T due to this #getoutofthered promo.

Looking at the reddit comments, a lot of people will jump over for a few months and then come back to Verizon with the paid phone.

Once again, this is just another gimmick by TMobile to boost their postpaid numbers. Their ARPU is much lower than At&t and Verizon. Not to mention, they're giving away free lines like candy.

• Like 1