T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

It isn't really off topic. The posts were a continuation on the issue of what John Legere has been saying in the ads against Verizon. I decided to be devil's advocate in a way to suggest what if John Legere was right about Verizon, and a few responded with their thoughts regarding the state of Verizon in how Legere is wrong or not being honest. WiseGuy321 was the latest to respond to me by giving a perspective from the Verizon point of view, and also updating me of a few things regarding Verizon that counters what Legere was saying.

So in all, as it formed from John Legere's commentary, it is on topic. It would be different if we just suddenly brought up another carrier with no connection with T-Mobile in the news currently.

. Agreed and I'm thinking of dumping T-Mobile and going unlocked with a different carrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. Agreed and I'm thinking of dumping T-Mobile and going unlocked with a different carrier

Which carrier are you considering, Dan? In all fairness, perhaps Verizon might be good for you. As I've mentioned here, I have nothing against Verizon's network and from my experience using Verizon's LTE, it was very good. AT&T is good too in certain areas, though I know others may not agree with AT&T being the best choice. Again, it really depends on where you live.

The way I look at the situation with your T-Mobile experience is if you're not happy with them, definitely switch. I'm only keeping them as the rate I get from them is great, too good to pass up, even with average network quality. Since at least it works for me well enough, that is worth keeping at the rate I get, which is $80 monthly for two lines with the Hookup offer. Then they give about $15 monthly in additional credits since three of every four weeks T-Mobile Tuesdays doesn't work. The Lumia 950xl doesn't have an app available for it, unlike iPhone and Android. The main website often appears blank on a site address called T-MobileTuesdays/OnDay.

After being in East Kentucky over the weekend, it really hammers how how horrible the TMobile coverage map is, and it isn't even 700A coverage! Once they get 700A deployed there, I if the map doens't change at all, it will be a little more accurate, but still far from it.

While I'm looking forward to the deployment of the 600mhz spectrum, I'm not so much excited nor hopeful about the 700mhz spectrum helping very much here in the Chicago area, at least. Not that it won't help at all, but generally I'm not very optimistic about any spectrum that is 5x5.

It isn't really off topic. The posts were a continuation on the issue of what John Legere has been saying in the ads against Verizon. I decided to be devil's advocate in a way to suggest what if John Legere was right about Verizon, and a few responded with their thoughts regarding the state of Verizon in how Legere is wrong or not being honest. WiseGuy321 was the latest to respond to me by giving a perspective from the Verizon point of view, and also updating me of a few things regarding Verizon that counters what Legere was saying.

So in all, as it formed from John Legere's commentary, it is on topic. It would be different if we just suddenly brought up another carrier with no connection with T-Mobile in the news currently.

Also too, this promo the T-Mobile has is kind of telling. You're willing to pay off entire EIP for Verizon users on iPhones and pixels...to me it sounds like porting out from T-Mobile and going to Verizon is more than anticipated. It seems like this promo is a desperate move masked as a "promo."

Verizon has been hitting the advertising track very hard this quarter about getting the word out they have unlimited data. For those who don't follow wireless news, you wouldn't have even knew about the offering when it came out in February. John says that their network is slowing down and T-Mobiles is getting faster but Verizon is giving users a regular unlimited plan with no restrictions when it comes to video whereas T-Mobile is giving you 480p and if you want 1080p you're going to need to pay more. That right there alone shows that your network isn't built for unlimited as much as you claim because you're managing video quality to ease the beating on the network. But that's my pov.

• Like 5

Verizon spectrum holdings currently  on LTE use in NYC : 10mhz(band13)+ 20mhz(band4)+ 20mhz(band 2)=50mhz.

Band 5 and AWS-3 are missing in action, but I am not so sure they own any AWS3 here. The 1x network is still around, but I would be surprised if they don't kill it by the end of the year in this market.

Verizon spectrum holdings currently on LTE use in NYC : 10mhz(band13)+ 20mhz(band4)+ 20mhz(band 2)=50mhz.

Band 5 and AWS-3 are missing in action, but I am not so sure they own any AWS3 here. The 1x network is still around, but I would be surprised if they don't kill it by the end of the year in this market.

So a total of 100 MHz when you count both downlinks and uplinks?

Yes so compared to T-Mobile they have much more spectrum...

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

T-Mobile runs 40 MHz of AWS, 30 MHz of PCS, and 10 MHz of 700. That's 80 MHz, which isn't that much less than Verizon given that T-Mobile has less subscribers. That's probably also why they hold the speed and network crown in NYC.

AT&T runs 30 MHz of PCS, 30 MHz of 700 (12+29), and 20 MHz of WCS... so the same amount that T-Mobile has on air. AT&T also has B14, B66, and B5 to tap into. So another 65 MHz of spectrum untapped for LTE. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it. I would think that AT&T is trying to swap licenses to make their 30 MHz contiguous (15x15 B2 LTE) as opposed to a 10x10 and 5x5 slice of B2. But I guess we will see.

It would be 25MHz of 700.  B12 is 10x10 and B29 is unpaired, just 5MHz. 

No LTE on B5 yet!? Seems like way too much HSPA.

B12 is 5mhz, not 10mhz if I'm not mistaken.

Well, here is something I may leave T-Mobile for, unless they add-on the credits. I'd accept a discount offer on a phone, particularly in this case an Android or an iPhone, but at this time there's no point in my getting an iPhone when in a few months the new iPhone is released, and regarding Android, they won't be selling the Sony Xperia XZ Premium, and even if I waited to get a discount on the Note 8 through them, T-Mobile has always messed up on my phone orders, especially pre-orders, which is why I knew if I was to keep T-Mobile, I couldn't get a phone from them and just stick with what does work with T-Mobile, the service and rate deal.

Anyways, this is what I'm upset about, and I'll explain why (briefly, I promise) after the link :

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/05/t-mobile-digits-get-out-of-the-red-launch/

I've actually been looking forward to Digits, and I've mentioned it in a few posts I've written here on S4GRU. So then, what's the problem? It is this (remember I have the Microsoft Lumia 950xl) :

"T-Mobile offers Digits apps for Android and iOS so that you can access your Digits number on them. With these apps, you can even use a Digits number on a non-T-Mobile device. Digits functionality is built into the Galaxy S8 and S8+, Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge and edge+, and Galaxy Note 5. You can access Digits from a PC by pointing your browser at this website."

I understand T-Mobile not making every app of theirs for the Microsoft OS on the Lumia devices or older Blackberry OS devices. Yet despite the Lumia not having its own T-Mobile Tuesdays app, at least the Lumia is able to access TMT through its webpage on the Lumia's web browser (although it often doesn't work, but at least T-Mobile gives credits for this. Only giving an option for non-IOS/Android users to a PC, which many people don't have nowadays, due to having smartphones, is bad business.

I'll end there to keep it from being a long post on my thoughts, as promised. I'll update on further posts if any questions.

Windows doesn't have a lot of marketshare for mobile phones. While it would be nice if they adopted support for digits, are you really surprised?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Windows doesn't have a lot of marketshare for mobile phones. While it would be nice if they adopted support for digits, are you really surprised?

I don't have any issue with T-Mobile not supporting Windows smartphones. I completely understand that. T-Mobile doesn't have an app for T-Mobile Tuesdays on Windows, which is fine, because T-Mobile allows customers to who don't have Android and iOS, to use the T-Mobile Tuesdays website to redeem awards. Now, while the website often doesn't work, at least for me it regularly goes to a blank screen linking to T-MobileTuesdays/OnDay, when that happens, T-Mobile is good about giving credits. So, that is well and good.

The problem with what T-Mobile is doing with Digits, is not that it is restricting the apps to Android and iOS, but it is not giving users of other OSes any alternative, unless they have a PC, which at the moment I don't see how that could be considered by them a reasonable alternative for those without an app, as for one, not everyone has a pc anymore, and another reason is that its not as convenient as looking up a website on a smartphone.

If T-Mobile gave customers without Android or iOS the ability to manage Digits on a smartphone through a website, that would be fine. Yet, according to the TmoNews article, it seems the only alternative is via a pc.

I haven't seen many particulars about digits but it seems very similar to google voice with Sprint full integration using Hangouts. If that's the case I probably wouldn't want to use it via web interface because it's just not the same experience.

• Like 1

I haven't seen many particulars about digits but it seems very similar to google voice with Sprint full integration using Hangouts. If that's the case I probably wouldn't want to use it via web interface because it's just not the same experience.

I think its one of those features either people will view as not being needed or others that really love it and use it regularly.

My view of Digits is that it is an advanced form of call forwarding mixed with the reduction of adding another line to your account, unless you want to and use it in the way you described. When I heard about it, I knew right away how it would help me. I want my mother to get a smartwatch, which may not match her smartphone where she could just use integration between those, like a Samsung S or Note with the Gear. She could use my Lumia once I would get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium I was planning to get with T-Mobile, and simply use her number on both the Lumia and a smartwatch.

Anyways, she called T-Mobile and didn't get much help. She's going to try again tomorrow, but if nothing happens, we may go back to Verizon, but avoid the store retail route this time by ordering online, or get Sprint online. I'm completely going to avoid wireless retail, and order devices unlocked away from carriers, such as the HTC 11 I'm considering. If we go with Verizon, my mother likely will just get the Wear24 smartwatch on her main number, and skip getting a smartphone.

Was the Lumia 950 XL even offered by T-Mobile?

Unlocked phones may work on a carrier but the carrier doesn't have any obligation to support an unlocked device.

• Like 1

Well, here is something I may leave T-Mobile for..............

Arysyn sorry but after the first five sentences all I see is blah, blah,blah....shorten your posts others will thank you.

• Like 4

Arysyn sorry but after the first five sentences all I see is blah, blah,blah....shorten your posts others will thank you.

Seriously.

The entire post could've been shortened to "I might leave TMobile because Windows Mobile doesn't have Digits support"

Who cares about the other non-sense...

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 4

Yeah, and it was not a great Arysyn post.  A top notch Arysyn post must hit all of the highlights:

1. dislike of John Legere
  2. problems with retail stores or customer service
  3. his illness/disability
  4. his mother

AJ

• Like 4

Yeah, and it was not a great Arysyn post.  A top notch Arysyn post must hit all of the highlights:

4. his mother

AJ

How about a suggestion for a new rate plan?

One actually on topic thought did occur to me. Re any potential merger between t & s, Ajit Pai is currently Chief Eunuch at the FCC but is also part of the federal revolving door corporate shill program. He came from Verizon and after doing their evil bidding will no doubt be headed back to them at some point. I doubt Verizon would be too happy with a merger, therefore the FCC probably wouldn't be too happy about it. It wouldn't be hard to say this potential merger would hurt competition and try and block it. 

• Like 1

And yet each of you starting with JossMan, posted something completely off-topic that had absolutely nothing to do with T-Mobile whatsoever, and wasn't even relating to something else connected with T-Mobile.

I've been very calm and understanding relating to fair criticism here, and discerning between that and personal attacks, something which I admit I didn't do all thar well when I first came here to S4GRU. However, this clearly is attacking me, especially AJ.l, who is just a blatant bully.

You know what, I know who are the good, caring people here are on this site, and to those who know I'm talking to, thank you for your support of me over time here and I mean that. To the others, if you attack me, yet ignore AJ's continuos immature and hostile attacks as being on-topic, then that is pure hypocrisy, and those who attack me here for the sake of what, making you feel good to I've a bully on the internet?

I've never bullied anyone here, never attacked anyone, never demeaned them, never insulted or criticized them for their posting. I've always engaged in fair debate, even with others who've disagreed on content but remained respectful to the right of fair speech. When I mention the things AJ attacks me for, its to tell you the truth of my situation. I am very ill, I am physically dying from a major neuropathic situation, and yet I come here to S4GRU to participate in wireless discussion with a group that despite there being a few people not kind to me, I've always believed most here to be very intelligent, caring people of both this community and wireless technology in which I've chosen to participate in, not to bully or be bullied, as that is harmful to me as it is anyone. Again this isn't addressing those who've given fair criticism to some of my discussion. There is a clear difference between that and what has gone on in this thread the past posts since my discussion ended with Travis.

To those criticizing my mentioning my mother, it is because I actually live with her because she is my legal caretaker, and there are restrictions I have as a wireless consumer that must go through her. I can't just be like most people here handling there own wireless accounts. I don't try to pretend otherwise, that I'm in a better situation where I can just call T-Mobile myself and complain, or just easily switch services, and whenever there is an issue, I do have to talk with her about it before anything can be done, so I tell people that as a way of understanding not to wonder why I cannot do that on my own, which again all stems from the fact that I'm in a very bad situation with my health. That is the honest situation, and being on a forum with a community of people, it is important for others to know for their own understanding of why those certain situations involving the topics on the forum may be different for them in their situation.

Regarding the T-Mobile Digits, this is a service I've been supportive of T-Mobile for since I heard of it. My past posts here reflect that. T-Mobile is offering this not as an addon service customers have to pay extra for, it its included in the plan. It essentially is a form of advanced call forwarding, which ought to be available for all devices. T-Mobile could have this built-in to the MyT-Mobile app, which actually is available for Windows on Lumia. I can even access MyT-Mobile through T-Mobile's website on the Lumia without having the app. Just the same as the T-Mobile Tuesdays service Again, it isn't about Digits not having an app available for Lumia, but is about not having any access to Digits through the Lumia whatsoever, which will affect all non-Android and iOS users. All T-Mobile would need to do to fix this, would be to have a smartphone-accessible website and not limit it to the PC, as TmoNews mentioned.

4. his mother

AJ

I think you're off base here.  Where's the part about fantasy wireless plans?

• Like 2