T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Does that mean that part of Sprint large hord of spectrum is currently useless?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

People live to spew (120-160) MHz but they never put thought into if it's actually usable.

6-12 18 24 MHz chunks here and there that add up to that number is pretty much useless right now.

When sprint pushes non contiguous CA (ie 4x/5xCA) they'll be way more useful. Note the Samsung galaxy s8 can do 4x CA but limit sprints to 3x b41 contiguous CA.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As info for those who've responded to me about the Digits issue, T-Mobile has been helpful in responding with a generous offer for me when the LG V30 becomes available, which is my top choice for a smartphone, so long as I get the LG 65"-inch LG C6p OLED I'm still waiting on the store I've pre-ordered to get into inventory, which may or not make it in. If it doesn't, I have plans to get a Samsung 9800 tv model from last year, which in that case I'll probably get the Note 8. Although my preference is for the LG tv and V30.

As info for those who've responded to me about the Digits issue, T-Mobile has been helpful in responding with a generous offer for me when the LG V30 becomes available, which is my top choice for a smartphone, so long as I get the LG 65"-inch LG C6p OLED I'm still waiting on the store I've pre-ordered to get into inventory, which may or not make it in. If it doesn't, I have plans to get a Samsung 9800 tv model from last year, which in that case I'll probably get the Note 8. Although my preference is for the LG tv and V30.

T Mobile in South Jersey Is hit-or-miss with coverage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

T Mobile in South Jersey Is hit-or-miss with coverage.

It still isn't the greatest here in the Chicago area either, as I've had some network drops inside deep buildings. My thought was originally just to go back with Verizon, but they have a worse autopay policy than T-Mobile, and have a really shifty payment requirement on the Moto Z temporary device I wanted with them until the V30 or Note 8 launches. AT&T won't accept membership discounts on their Unlimited Data plan any longer, only on the Mobile Share Advantage Plans, the closest to unlimited being 25gb. Plus, AT&T's network in the U.S. is losing traction in the network ratings.

It still isn't the greatest here in the Chicago area either, as I've had some network drops inside deep buildings. My thought was originally just to go back with Verizon, but they have a worse autopay policy than T-Mobile, and have a really shifty payment requirement on the Moto Z temporary device I wanted with them until the V30 or Note 8 launches. AT&T won't accept membership discounts on their Unlimited Data plan any longer, only on the Mobile Share Advantage Plans, the closest to unlimited being 25gb. Plus, AT&T's network in the U.S. is losing traction in the network ratings.

T-Mobile though still needs more LTE sites on air here in New Jersey and they need to densify a lot more to keep up with Verizon

• Like 1

T-Mobile though still needs more LTE sites on air here in New Jersey and they need to densify a lot more to keep up with Verizon

Verizon has a much better deal between network quality and pricing than AT&T. A potential customer could get a smartphone line with a smartwatch line on Verizon for $95 monthly, whereas on AT&T it would cost $145, but of course AT&T offers free HBO with it. AT&T's pricing of that is ridiculous!

Still, Verizon could do better in their competition with T-Mobile. Verizon ought to offer a clear, upfront way to have autopay with a credit card, as T-Mobile does. Then it would be a good thing to separate between the autopay and non-autopay options a bit more than by a $5 monthly difference.

I suggest pricing the beginning rate of HD-included a/v streaming to $75 monthly with autopay/ $90 monthly without autopay. Then offer a 9mbps speedcap plan with SD a/v streaming at $45 monthly with autopay/ $60 monthly without autopay. Have additional lines be $45 monthly on the HD plan/ $15 monthly on the SD plan.

I'd love to see Verizon do that as a way of getting AT&T customers to switch away and forcing AT&T to be more competitive again here in the U.S. At the moment, T-Mobile is looking more and more like Verizon's new partner in the Duopoly, and as they continue to deploy and densify, especially the 600mhz spectrum, it'll get better. I'm now mostly hoping for the Sprint merger so that they'll send John Legere off with his millions $$$ and bring someone mature and ethical on as CEO.

AT&T won't accept membership discounts on their Unlimited Data plan any longer, only on the Mobile Share Advantage Plans, the closest to unlimited being 25gb. 

Yeah, this is true. Both Verizon and AT&T got rid of their discounts with the new unlimited plans.

Plus, AT&T's network in the U.S. is losing traction in the network ratings.

Are they? According to the most recent PC Magazine test, they had the fastest avg data speeds, second highest downloads over 5mbps (87% vs 88% for VZW), tied for uploads over 2mbps (90% with VZW), and has the second highest reliability (97% vs 97% for VZW). They also posted the largest increase in data speeds from 2016.

https://www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks

Then offer a 9mbps speedcap plan with SD a/v streaming at $45 monthly with autopay/ $60 monthly without autopay.

I'm pretty sure Cricket already offers a very similar plan at the $55 (with autopay) price point. 

Verizon ought to offer a clear, upfront way to have autopay with a credit card, as T-Mobile does. 

I'm not sure what the issue with the autopay policy is. Leave the debit card on auto-pay.

They send you a reminder 10 or so days in advance. Go into the app and pay with your credit card.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 2

T-Mobile has been helpful in responding with a generous offer for me when the LG V30 becomes available.

I would try to get that "generous offer" in writing or notated on your account before aimlessly porting over. T-Mobile tends to promise everything under the sun to their customers.

These customers then spend hours with billing every month trying to get to their port-in/bill/whatever credits properly applied... 

Their billing system is nothing short of a disaster. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is true. Both Verizon and AT&T got rid of their discounts with the new unlimited plans.

Are they? According to the most recent PC Magazine test, they had the fastest avg data speeds, second highest downloads over 5mbps (87% vs 88% for VZW), tied for uploads over 2mbps (90% with VZW), and has the second highest reliability (97% vs 97% for VZW). They also posted the largest increase in data speeds from 2016.

https://www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks

I'm pretty sure Cricket already offers a very similar plan at the $55 (with autopay) price point. 

I'm not sure what the issue with the autopay policy is. Leave the debit card on auto-pay.

They send you a reminder 10 or so days in advance. Go into the app and pay with your credit card.

I haven't read the PC Magazine report yet, but it was one of the other network reviews that listed Verizon as first in most areas, with T-Mobile being first in some and second in most others, except AT&T did get some second place reviews, though still basically third. Fourth disappointingly being Sprint.

I don't really have anything against AT&T as a company, as I'm glad it is run professionally akin to Verizon and Sprint, not as immaturely with the party atmosphere of T-Mobile. Although I think AT&T is trying to be too much with their growth outside of the U.S., the focus on trying to force build-in all of these video services they've acquired or are in the process of trying to acquire, etc.

I think it would be better to have the wireless internet with phone, the home/business internet with phone, and the video content delivery/creation all separate stand-alone services with the option to bundle them to save money. What I believe is odd, is that customers can bundle home internet with phone and Directv to save money, or wireless internet with phone and Directv to save money, but not home internet with phone and wireless internet with phone to save money. Sure you can add these services together, but they won't provide any savings, except for specific services and features.

AT&T executives often tell the press about how AT&T is in such a unique situation where they can provide these great bundles of service features to its customers. Yet there still is some disconnect in its shopping system. Also, while I realize AT&T has Cricket which is something I believe has a pretty great pricing system and service setup, while AT&T has their less expensive Unlimited Choice data plans, they also have GoPhone.

At that point, its a bit much on the market for AT&T I think would be better serving customers if it were all integrated into one plan under the AT&T branding, perhaps as the new Choice plan, with the 3mbps speedcap upped to Cricket's 8mbps (or 9mbps max). Then the Plus and Choice plans could be offered in both the postpaid and prepaid options. Of course this all is my opinion and view of things regarding AT&T.

I would try to get that "generous offer" in writing or notated on your account before aimlessly porting over. T-Mobile tends to promise everything under the sun to their customers.

These customers then spend hours with billing every month trying to get to their port-in/bill/whatever credits properly applied... 

Their billing system is nothing short of a disaster.

You are absolutely right about T-Mobile. My mother didn't tell me exactly what kind of percentage/dollar amount the discount would be, though my she talked with someone higher-up in the Executive Response department who has access to John Legere's business email I highly suspect isn't read by John Legere directly, but rather a team of specially selected responders. These people have access to a tremendous amount of power at T-Mobile, such as wiping out an entire month or a couple months' worth of payment costs, along with sending free, totally brand new iPhones to customers, etc.

These people generally are quite honest about most things relating to T-Mobile business, except for handling device preorders. My mother had received a free iPhone 6 from them meant to replace here over a decade old Samsung bar phone as a loyalty gift from T-Mobile. It helped me to not only become a temporarily major T-Mobile supporter, even forgiving them for their awful lying and screwups on my S7 preorder, but also introduced me to iOS, which if only Apple were more emulator-friendly, I would be an Apple convert.

The thing that made me leave T-Mobile for AT&T shortly after that, which was after the Note 7 launch, T-Mobile messed up on my Note 7 preorder, even thought that ended up saving me from the hassle of recall returns, along with the possibility of a major fire disaster. Still, lying to me about shipment dates, etc., was not good. Ultimately I ended up back with T-Mobile some months ago with their Hookup Offer and the Two Lines for $100 with Free Lifetime HD A/V Streaming, not because of anything bad from AT&T, just because at the time AT&T didn't offer a fast enough mostly- guaranteed minimum speed for 4k streaming.

Actually, I left AT&T for Verizon very temporarily, before going back to T-Mobile. I was only with Verizon for about a week, due to billing issues involving the autopay and paperless billing, a messup caused by the store employee who helped us. The credit card option may be available if a customer goes through an around way process, but not directly available through Verizon as an upfront choice. If it were available, along with Verizon being more fair on some of its device deal structures, it would be a tempting choice in switching to by the online ordering process.

For those on T-Mobile on a budget, the Nokia 6 is available for $229. Here is the band support:

• GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
  • WCDMA: Band 1, 2, 4, 5, 8
  • LTE: Band 2, 3, 4, 7, 12/17, 28, 38

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-nokia-6-comes-to-the-us-for-229/

• Like 1

For those on T-Mobile on a budget, the Nokia 6 is available for $229. Here is the band support:

• GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
  • WCDMA: Band 1, 2, 4, 5, 8
  • LTE: Band 2, 3, 4, 7, 12/17, 28, 38
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-nokia-6-comes-to-the-us-for-229/
is it a android phone ?

Just be aware that the bands it supports are rather limited. But then it's only $229.

hmm I 'll pass then lol I don't need ads but thank you for the suggestion.

hmm I 'll pass then lol I don't need ads but thank you for the suggestion.

You can still get it without the ads for $229. But if you don't mind the ads it's $179.

You can still get it without the ads for $229. But if you don't mind the ads it's $179.

I actually got the Moto G5 Plus I got the other day so I'm okay now but thank you for the help I do appreciate it:-)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I actually got the Moto G5 Plus I got the other day so I'm okay now but thank you for the help I do appreciate it:-)

Yeah the G5 Plus supports a lot more bands all over the world.

Does it support all of Sprint's LTE bands

They advertise it as suitable for all four carriers so I'd assume so. The new Nokia seems just as dumb as the old Nokia. Make a bunch of handsets tailored to certain carriers. Makes no sense especially when you have no carrier support. Moto is doing it the right way.

They advertise it as suitable for all four carriers so I'd assume so. The new Nokia seems just as dumb as the old Nokia. Make a bunch of handsets tailored to certain carriers. Makes no sense especially when you have no carrier support. Moto is doing it the right way.

The performance on T-Mobile's band 4 LTE network is pretty impressive for a mid-range device. I hope it supports three carrier aggregation

No idea iff it supports 3CA. Doubt it but you never know. A friend of mine picked one up at Costco the other week and she loves it. Not bad for $219.

Band 12 seems pretty solid with the G5 Plus. And T-Mobile has voice over LTE enabled on this thing plus Wi-Fi calling.