Jump to content
burnout8488

Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

Recommended Posts

Someone here can probably explain this, but what exactly is preventing Sprint from doing full on VoLTE? Lack of macro density? Lack of coverage? Something in the core of their network? I remember years ago their excuse was lack of fallback to CDMA, but what's causing it today? Why can't they do a full scale VoLTE launch like Verizon did? Or at least a market-by-market launch like AT&T, where they know they have the LTE reliability and capacity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

It'll probably arrive in the Oreo update.

Requirement for the HTC U11 is to dunk the phone in milk first.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jakeuten said:

Someone here can probably explain this, but what exactly is preventing Sprint from doing full on VoLTE? Lack of macro density? Lack of coverage? Something in the core of their network? I remember years ago their excuse was lack of fallback to CDMA, but what's causing it today? Why can't they do a full scale VoLTE launch like Verizon did? Or at least a market-by-market launch like AT&T, where they know they have the LTE reliability and capacity?

It's a mix, but I think their biggest concern is taking a hit on their voice reliability scores. That said, I agree they should just open up VoLTE as a 'beta' program which is what they are sort of doing now with Calling Plus. I believe the full VoLTE IMS is already stood up and functioning with some iPhones and Calling Plus. Either way, we are getting closer!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, grapkoski said:

It's a mix, but I think their biggest concern is taking a hit on their voice reliability scores. That said, I agree they should just open up VoLTE as a 'beta' program which is what they are sort of doing now with Calling Plus. I believe the full VoLTE IMS is already stood up and functioning with some iPhones and Calling Plus. Either way, we are getting closer!

We are not asking for it to be defaulting setting so should not be a concern of quality issues. The sooner it can get into beta, more data they can look at and see where are the weak spots they need to improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can we expect in terms of LTE carrier handoff?  With Sprint's current and future implementation, will LTE handoff's between networks be possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest update to my Note 8 has this feature. I have it turned on.
How does this work? Like today I was on a phone call and tried accessing my email but wouldn't work. Said something like no data connection.
In the Calling Plus setting I also see WiFi calling and LTE calling(beta). Do those need to be enabled as well?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LTE calling would need to be enabled.

34 minutes ago, mnjeepmale said:

The latest update to my Note 8 has this feature. I have it turned on.
How does this work? Like today I was on a phone call and tried accessing my email but wouldn't work. Said something like no data connection.
In the Calling Plus setting I also see WiFi calling and LTE calling(beta). Do those need to be enabled as well?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be set to on if you want talk & data b9f2460e664a1c4133e698709ee516d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using this for the past couple days and the calls are very clear. But there are some hiccups at times. Like this morning I was talking to someone and they told me that I sounded like a robot or it breaks up at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, red_dog007 said:

What can we expect in terms of LTE carrier handoff?  With Sprint's current and future implementation, will LTE handoff's between networks be possible?

I know you were referring to Sprint but Verizon VoLTE is able to handoff to their LTEiRA partners and vise versa so it's definitely possible. On my Tmobile phone it will not handoff from a VoLTE call on US Cell to Tmobile. It won't go from a wifi call to VoLTE either on USC. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to turn LTE calling off as several people have told me that my voice is breaking up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Galaxy S7 with latest update 5BQL1 and still no calling plus..  :(    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling Plus has proven to be more reliable than WiFi Calling for me. There have been more than a few times where I've had to turn off WiFi in the middle of a call and have it switch to LTE for the person on the other end to hear me clearly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think after they make improvements to the network this year, I feel that volte will be better for prime time. Honestly, I use it on verizon for work. A lot of times the calls suck, I end up using my personal phone to call into the office a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think volte should be prioritized on band 26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think volte should be prioritized on band 26
Why? Small calls are to help VOLTE which will be B41. 10x10 will also happen on B25 once CDMA is gone. So densifying B41 and B25 is more important. Leaving B26 for places that thos two just can not reach.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On iOS 11.3 beta on iPhone X, still nothing in the Settings app about Calling Plus. Will be interested to see if it appears in later updates.

 

-Anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, anthony.spina97 said:

On iOS 11.3 beta on iPhone X, still nothing in the Settings app about Calling Plus. Will be interested to see if it appears in later updates.

 

-Anthony

Installing now, I might've waited if I saw this first! :) 

Hopefully a few more betas and perhaps it will "just work," rather than a setting appearing. 

New Carrier Sprint 31.5.1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anthony.spina97 said:

On iOS 11.3 beta on iPhone X, still nothing in the Settings app about Calling Plus. Will be interested to see if it appears in later updates.

 

-Anthony

I'm doubtful that they'd do "Calling Plus" on the iPhone. I figure Sprint will just jump straight to VoLTE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Calling Plus has proven to be more reliable than WiFi Calling for me. There have been more than a few times where I've had to turn off WiFi in the middle of a call and have it switch to LTE for the person on the other end to hear me clearly.

Calling Plus is getting worse and worse for me on WiFi. The start of the call is fine, but within a minute or to it starts getting garbled with lots of echos. I don't have many opportunities to use Calling Plus on LTE because of the GMO site near my house. Calling Plus was fantastic when I first started using it, but it's been getting to the point where I have to turn it off if I want to make a call. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Calling Plus is getting worse and worse for me on WiFi. The start of the call is fine, but within a minute or to it starts getting garbled with lots of echos. I don't have many opportunities to use Calling Plus on LTE because of the GMO site near my house. Calling Plus was fantastic when I first started using it, but it's been getting to the point where I have to turn it off if I want to make a call. 

I definitely thought it was just me but I'm glad that isn't the case. I don't know what Sprint is doing on their end but WiFi calling isn't nearly as good as it used to be but LTE calling works decent for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

I definitely thought it was just me but I'm glad that isn't the case. I don't know what Sprint is doing on their end but WiFi calling isn't nearly as good as it used to be but LTE calling works decent for me.

I even have the Sprint router with the original Sprint firmware still intact. So I'm at a loss as to why it's happening. Happens on WiFi at my work too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm doubtful that they'd do "Calling Plus" on the iPhone. I figure Sprint will just jump straight to VoLTE.

Yup. Even if it technically IS Calling Plus on the backend, on the iPhone it will likely just use the same verbiage as it does on other VoLTE iPhones. "Use LTE for Voice & Data"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Shentel market, I have had good results with LTE calling plus. I was in the Richmond area though a few days ago and it kept breaking up when I was on I-95. I just hung up, turned off calling plus and called the person back. 

As far as the comment about what bands VoLTE should use, calling plus seems to switch between bands with no loss of audio, so I don't see why it would really matter what band it uses. Just let it do it's own thing and go between bands just as "regular" data does. With voice packets having priority, it should be a good system in the end. I hope it happens sooner than later though. It really is nice to be able to look something up while on a call, or to have Google maps running in the car while on a bluetooth call and still getting updated traffic info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I even have the Sprint router with the original Sprint firmware still intact. So I'm at a loss as to why it's happening. Happens on WiFi at my work too.
The Sprint router may be causing problems with it. They do some QoS and rate limiting (I want to say 8 KB/sec or so) on the ipsec tunnels that are used. It sets a dedicated, allocated speed which cannot be exceeded, rather than just prioritizing the connection. It basically breaks an Airave.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • You need B26 for VOLTE both for coverage and capacity. B41 as it is configured right now is great for cruising the net and downloading. Not great for symmetric traffic like voice. Well, when I am talking to my wife, it is highly asymmetric but that's neither here nor there😂.
    • I was on I-68 Sunday and did not notice any new Sprint Coverage.  Some 1x was there, no Sprint LTE.  The 1X was well below the standards we would expect and I really did not see any improvement yet. However, as I write this, I am thinking that the US Cellular LTE might have been showing on SCP and I may not have realized that Sprint 1x was available in previously uncovered locations.
    • KDDI in Japan still has their CDMA network. Verizon is tired of paying Qualcomm royalties on top of paying Billions of dollars for Qualcomm equipment.
    • I was in Cumberland, Md and Deep Creek , Md on Sunday.  Only had Sprint 1x and the coverage on that was not good.  However, I did have LTE coverage on US Cellular. It was OK, not fantastic, but ok.  Not everywhere but it was where you needed it.  Was on US Cellular EVDO and 1x at times too.   It was great that Sprint allows use of US Cellular facilities while they upgrade their network. Allegany and Garrett counties were ignored by Sprint for many many years. Now that they have turned that area over to Shentel we are going to see the service greatly improved.  Sprint finally did the right thing. If they could not provide service in the area themselves, turn it over to somebody that can and will. Shentel WILL fix it and soon. I did note that when driving into the area from Hagerstown, my phone resisted connecting to US Cellular LTE until I started trying to figure out why. I think it might have been the Airplane mode on/off action I took that seemed to wake up US Cellular LTE.  Once it connected one time, then I was good all day.
    • There are clearly some issues with that map, but you're right, western MD does look good and like they're planning to cover it well.  Looking at the current Sprint coverage map in voice view, it looks like two or three new sites might be up and running already along I-68.  (If not, then they might be coming very soon.) - Trip
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×