Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

I hate to say it but I agree when critics make fun of Sprint for confusing the hell out of things.  So I just want to understand a few things about this Sprint Open World thing.  It sounds like from what I read that it is an additional add on that you need to enable onto your account.  Also does this mean that unlimited free 2G data is gone in European/Asian countries if you have both add ons enabled?  I just don't know why Sprint doesn't just make things simple with a single add-on.  Can someone clarify the ins and outs of this program.  

• Like 1

I hate to say it but I agree when critics make fun of Sprint for confusing the hell out of things. So I just want to understand a few things about this Sprint Open World thing. It sounds like from what I read that it is an additional add on that you need to enable onto your account. Also does this mean that unlimited free 2G data is gone in European/Asian countries if you have both add ons enabled? I just don't know why Sprint doesn't just make things simple with a single add-on. Can someone clarify the ins and outs of this program.

From the looks of it, I think you have to remove the unlimited 2G add on to be able to add this one. So it's either one or the other, you can't have both active on one line at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 6

From the looks of it, I think you have to remove the unlimited 2G add on to be able to add this one. So it's either one or the other, you can't have both active on one line at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Looks like I'll keep Sprint Global Roaming for now.  Its such a shame that Sprint makes your choose between the 2 and Sprint Open World is not convincing enough for me to switch.

Looks like I'll keep Sprint Global Roaming for now.  Its such a shame that Sprint makes your choose between the 2 and Sprint Open World is not convincing enough for me to switch.

Everyone has to do their own calculus to do what's best for them. Having a choice is a good thing though. Personally, I see myself being in more Latin American countries in the near future than European or Asian countries.

Even if I were to someplace like Spain, for instance, it might still be worth it to me to pay a fairly reasonable rate for high speed speed data rather than ride ~64 kbps for free. Let's say I was in Spain for two weeks, if I were to use 10 GB high speed data (which I don't see how I could) that now would cost me $300. That's not going to hurt me. Under the old system before IVR, Open World, the new Global Roaming, etc. using that much data would be close to $200K. That's a mortgage! So $300 for HSPA, HSPA+, LTE, whatever it is seems like a relative bargain.

Again though, everyone has to do the math for themselves

• Like 1

Everyone has to do their own calculus to do what's best for them. Having a choice is a good thing though. Personally, I see myself being in more Latin American countries in the near future than European or Asian countries.

Even if I were to someplace like Spain, for instance, it might still be worth it to me to pay a fairly reasonable rate for high speed speed data rather than ride ~64 kbps for free. Let's say I was in Spain for two weeks, if I were to use 10 GB high speed data (which I don't see how I could) that now would cost me $300. That's not going to hurt me. Under the old system before IVR, Open World, the new Global Roaming, etc. using that much data would be close to $200K. That's a mortgage! So $300 for HSPA, HSPA+, LTE, whatever it is seems like a relative bargain.

Again though, everyone has to do the math for themselves

I agree its each their own.  I just look at Tmobile and it seems like they get both benefits (maintaining unlimited 2G worldwide and getting unlimited 4G roaming/calls/text in Canada and Mexico) so that was just expressing disappointment.  Although I don't see how Tmobile can keep that up in the long term for unlimited 4G roaming in Mexico/Canada would seem rather costly in the long term.  

I am the complete opposite, I don't see myself going to a ton of Latin countries even though I am going to Mexico cruise next week, I would much rather keep the unlimited 2G data than get only 1 GB of high speed data.   I don't really make calls back home and I would much rather use email or VoIP apps to make calls on wifi.  2G ain't sexy but it gets the job done for google maps, email and tripadvisor.

Also do you know if you can swap between the 2 options depending on where you are going?  Perhaps I don't mind if that is an option but if its a 1 time permanent change, then no thanks.

Also do you know if you can swap between the 2 options depending on where you are going?  Perhaps I don't mind if that is an option but if its a 1 time permanent change, then no thanks.

Swap on the fly while outside of the US? No, I don't *think* you could do that, but I'm not sure. If you mean while still in the States before you leave, I switched to Open World this morning and I just checked the OLAM and the option to switch back to Global Roaming is there.

Swap on the fly while outside of the US? No, I don't *think* you could do that, but I'm not sure. If you mean while still in the States before you leave, I switched to Open World this morning and I just checked the OLAM and the option to switch back to Global Roaming is there.

Yes swap while in the US before of course.  It takes some time anyways to take into effect.  I mean I guess if you can swap back and forth its ok.  I guess for this upcoming week, the free roaming calling would be much appreciated but I hope there is a way for them to tell you when you approach your 1 GB limit.  I hate overages.  Just 2 weeks ago, I accidentally roamed on 3G in Canada for just maybe 100 MB and it was $36.  Luckily, Sprint credited my account for this.  However I'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to do the add-on since its not available yet.

What Sprint should do is combine this plan with the International Value Roaming plan - give you up to 10 gigabytes high speed while roaming in those countries and then throttle to 2G that you would have gotten with the other plan originally. That would be way less confusing and make it more of a real competitor with T-Mobile's Simple Choice North America plans. 

• Like 2

What Sprint should do is combine this plan with the International Value Roaming plan - give you up to 10 gigabytes high speed while roaming in those countries and then throttle to 2G that you would have gotten with the other plan originally. That would be way less confusing and make it more of a real competitor with T-Mobile's Simple Choice North America plans. 

Now the International Value Roaming plan is called Sprint Global Roaming plan so it should merge with that. I think 10 GB would be a bit too much cost for Sprint for high speed data especially if they throttle you to 2G for free still.   I think 5 GB would be more reasonable and then throttle you to 2G speeds.  Hopefully Tmobile continues to 1-up Sprint so that they have to react and change their mind about the whole thing.  I agree with you in that I hate how the 2 add-ons are segregated.

• Like 1

Now the International Value Roaming plan is called Sprint Global Roaming plan so it should merge with that. I think 10 GB would be a bit too much cost for Sprint for high speed data especially if they throttle you to 2G for free still.   I think 5 GB would be more reasonable and then throttle you to 2G speeds.  Hopefully Tmobile continues to 1-up Sprint so that they have to react and change their mind about the whole thing.  I agree with you in that I hate how the 2 add-ons are segregated.

I see it as a plus as I have family members that need to call costa rica from the US and this plan covers that as I was using the mexico and canada 5.00 plan for that. This plan is listed as promotional also. The regular global roaming plan is not. So it may still get uodated once this plan goes away. I'm all for saving 5 bucks though off my monthly if I don't have to!

10 GB is way too much for a company that can't offer reciprocal 3G Roaming to the companies it has reached deals with.

The only real problem with these plans is the complexity. They need to consolidate both plans and just offer 1 Roaming option to counter T-Mobile. One of these plans has to go.

10 GB is way too much for a company that can't offer reciprocal 3G Roaming to the companies it has reached deals with.

The only real problem with these plans is the complexity. They need to consolidate both plans and just offer 1 Roaming option to counter T-Mobile. One of these plans has to go.

Sounds like David Beckham should revisit sprint. Just kidding, I do like what Sprint is doing here a lot but just wish it was a little simpler and automatic vice a plan add on for free.
  • Like 1

I was able to add Open World to my account online. Also, did anyone notice that direct connect is FINALLY free? I added that, too, and I'm going to mess around with it later.

24168f6396f650f6995d19aaddd8a839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

I was able to add Open World to my account online. Also, did anyone notice that direct connect is FINALLY free? I added that, too, and I'm going to mess around with it later.

24168f6396f650f6995d19aaddd8a839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

If I'm not mistaking, Direct Connect had always been free for some plans, but not all.

If I'm not mistaking, Direct Connect had always been free for some plans, but not all.

Really? I've only had Framily since its inception, and it's always said $5.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Really? I've only had Framily since its inception, and it's always said $5.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I know for a fact that its not free on ED Family 1500 plan.

Every time I try to add Direct Connect on my Framily plan, even though it says free, the system kicks it out and says it's no longer available.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Every time I try to add Direct Connect on my Framily plan, even though it says free, the system kicks it out and says it's no longer available.

It lets me add it, but it never really takes. I also get an email saying it was successfully added, though. Oh well, at least I was able to add open world without having to call or chat.

Sent from my iPhone 6

It lets me add it, but it never really takes. I also get an email saying it was successfully added, though. Oh well, at least I was able to add open world without having to call or chat.

Sent from my iPhone 6

That's how SDC does to me too. I wish they would just make it free permanently.

That's how SDC does to me too. I wish they would just make it free permanently.

Exactly. That's why I got excited when I saw "$0.00."

Sent from my iPhone 6

I'm on the old EPRP Everything Plus 500 plan and it shows as a $5/mo addon for me. I wonder why they made the service free for some but not others?