Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

Looks like Sprint has quietly updated their partner carriers, sadly just after my vacation to SBH where Digicel would've been helpful... :(

Sprint Global Roaming offers free, unlimited data at up to 2G speeds and text messages. Plus, calling is just 20¢/min. Sprint Global Roaming is currently offered through the following carriers when traveling abroad: Altice, Digicel, H3, Lime, Optus, Partner, Rogers, SK Telecom, Softbank, Spark, Telefonica, Tigo and Vimplecom

Either way, great to see expansion continue!

FINALLY!!! MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!

• Like 8

A wise man over in the PRL thread sorta predicted this happening… ;)

I'm fairly sure that geographies 19-21 are mostly international such as Mexico, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda, Aruba, etc. I guess no more CDMA roaming in those areas...

In the Dominican Republic and Mexico I'm very confident that that's exactly the reason. I dunno about the other countries. Maybe more countries are being added to Open World and Sprint Global Roaming.

Sprint_Global_Roaming.png

• Like 6

When did Bahamas get added? That's an expensive place to get service on most of the world sim providers. That's a great add!

• Like 4

When did Bahamas get added? That's an expensive place to get service on most of the world sim providers. That's a great add!

Indeed. Even T-Mobile doesn't include Bahamas in their list of global roaming countries.

• Like 4

A wise man over in the PRL thread sorta predicted this happening… ;)

attachicon.gifSprint_Global_Roaming.png

Man I didn't know they added more countries recently.  Good to see progress made on this front.  Sprint still needs to make more headway in the south Asian regions and Eastern Europe but hopefully by end of 2015 we can see more progress on this.

• Like 1

I'm heading to Jamaica in January, I'm debating between using Open World or just picking up a prepaid SIM from digicell or Lime.

On Lime/Flow for like $7.75 I can get 90mins international calling, 2gb data in a 7 day period.  Plus the resort is covered in Wifi.

digicell would be about the same for more minutes and only 1gb data.

My worry with OpenWorld is that if I lose the resort wifi, that I'd rack up data charges unintentionally.

I'm heading to Jamaica in January, I'm debating between using Open World or just picking up a prepaid SIM from digicell or Lime.

On Lime/Flow for like $7.75 I can get 90mins international calling, 2gb data in a 7 day period. Plus the resort is covered in Wifi.

My worry with OpenWorld is that if I lose the resort wifi, that I'd rack up data charges unintentionally.

I only used about 600k over a week in Europe. Granted I didn't stream videos or music. No file downloading. If you limit your use it takes a lot to even get to 1GB.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

On Lime/Flow for like $7.75 I can get 90mins international calling, 2gb data in a 7 day period.  Plus the resort is covered in Wifi.

I think you are the exact case that Open World is geared towards?  Amirite?  Incidental usage while on your trip when most of the time you'll be on WiFi.  Seems like less of a hassle to add the free add-on to your plan and use your phone as you would normally. 

I think you are the exact case that Open World is geared towards?  Amirite?  Incidental usage while on your trip when most of the time you'll be on WiFi.  Seems like less of a hassle to add the free add-on to your plan and use your phone as you would normally. 

It's just my wife and I, so we'll be calling home daily to check in on the kids.  $0.20/min on calling gets me 50mins of voice for $10 or I can double that with the prepaid SIM (plus data charges on top).

It's just my wife and I, so we'll be calling home daily to check in on the kids.  $0.20/min on calling gets me 50mins of voice for $10 or I can double that with the prepaid SIM (plus data charges on top).

WiFi calling is free.  Use that? 

EDIT: oof, looked at your device list.  Too bad on that one.  Hangouts dialer for VoIP?  Facebook calling?  There's a work around, I'm sure. 

• Like 2

Seems like Global roaming and Open World are not compatible with the Moto X Pure, as Customer service is not able to re add the services on my account after activating my Moto X Pure. Worldwide support supposedly contacted tech support and they stated that the plans do not work. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Seems like Global roaming and Open World are not compatible with the Moto X Pure, as Customer service is not able to re add the services on my account after activating my Moto X Pure. Worldwide support supposedly contacted tech support and they stated that the plans do not work. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

EDITED:

I THINK I just added both on my line with my Moto X Pure 32GB.  When on the Sprint website, does it show your device like this?:

motoxpure32gb.jpg

I immediately received an email stating the following "Added:International:Sprint Open World ℠ - $0.00/mo**

Added:International:Activate international calling (required for Sprint Open World ℠ add-on) - $0.00/mo**"

10 Minutes later I received a message saying my order has been canceled.  So it could be currently incompatible.  I really don't understand why.  Sprint needs to get itself on-board with unlocked device support soon.  This includes VVM and SprintZone standalone apps in the Play store.

I hope you are able to get it added soon.

• Like 1

I just noticed something interesting on the Sprint Global Roaming page.  It says that speeds are up to 2G @ 64KBps. Notice the capital B, which would indicate they're using kilobytes/s as the units.  I'm not sure if this is just a typo or not, but that translates into 512kilobits/s, much faster than T-Mobile's 128kilobits/s

Looks like I lost OpenWorld when activating my Moto X Pure too, but I just readded it from the website

Edit In: Got a really odd Sprint email that my online order had been canceled, I couldn't match the order in the email to anything, but I notice that OpenWorld was gone.  I've readded it again.

Oy. Why can't Sprint just make things simple and consolidate Open World and International Value Roaming into one plan? Surely they'd not be leaving that much revenue on the table.

I agree, its getting very confusing.

There are three tiers now:

1. Free calling text and 1GB of data in SOME Open World countries

2. Paid calling, free text and paid data in the rest of Open World countries

3. Paid calling, free text, free unlimited 2G data in IVR countries

I LOVE that Sprint is going full speed into this roaming stuff, but the customer facing implementation needs some work.

Here are the new tier 2 countries

• The new Sprint Open World destinations include France, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Dominica, Fiji, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles, St. Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Suriname, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, and Vanuatu. For a full list of destinations visit, www.sprint.com/openworld.

The confusion extends to the press release, but the good news is that theyre not phasing out the free 2G

Customers whose international travel does not frequently include Mexico, Canada or Latin America may opt instead for the Sprint Global Roaming free add-on service. With Sprint Global Roaming, customers get free unlimited 2G data, unlimited text messaging, and calls for $0.20 per minute. For a complete list of Sprint Global Roaming destinations, visit www.sprint.com/globalroaming.

• Like 1

So VZW is offering international roaming in Cuba: http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/09/verizon-is-first-national-us-wireless-carrier-to-offer-roaming-in-cuba.html

Being VZW, it's prohibitively expensive.

It would be a definite positive if Marcelo and Sprint gave Cuba the Open World treatment. It could only improve Sprint's popularity in south Florida.

• Like 2

EDITED:

I THINK I just added both on my line with my Moto X Pure 32GB.  When on the Sprint website, does it show your device like this?:

I immediately received an email stating the following "Added:International:Sprint Open World ℠ - $0.00/mo**

Added:International:Activate international calling (required for Sprint Open World ℠ add-on) - $0.00/mo**"

10 Minutes later I received a message saying my order has been canceled.  So it could be currently incompatible.  I really don't understand why.  Sprint needs to get itself on-board with unlocked device support soon.  This includes VVM and SprintZone standalone apps in the Play store.

I hope you are able to get it added soon.

Did what you suggested, went online to activate myself and got the exact email that the changes were made last night.

I checked this morning and no changes were applied to my account. Didnt get a cancellation notice either. I will call them personally and see whats going on.

• Like 1

So VZW is offering international roaming in Cuba: http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/09/verizon-is-first-national-us-wireless-carrier-to-offer-roaming-in-cuba.html

It would be a definite positive if Marcelo and Sprint gave Cuba the Open World treatment. It could only improve Sprint's popularity in south Florida.

Pardon my ignorance, but how is Cuba a big market for American wireless customers?

So VZW is offering international roaming in Cuba: http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/09/verizon-is-first-national-us-wireless-carrier-to-offer-roaming-in-cuba.html

Wow those rates!

$2.99 per minute and $2.05 per mb!

This might be the one time when I'd actually like to hear what John Legere has to say about the competition. It would be great for both he and Marcelo to provide a much better deal in Cuba than Verizon.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance, but how is Cuba a big market for American wireless customers?

There's like 2+ million Cuban Americans in the US in states like Florida, New York and New Jersey. Marcelo has made it a well known point to target Latinos, so I'd imagine Cuba probably has as much strategic value as say, Guatemala or El Salvador for instance.
  • Like 3

There is a very large Cuban population in southern Florida. If Cubans living in the US had a cheap way to contact relatives in Cuba it would be a very big deal.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4

• Like 3

There's like 2+ million Cuban Americans in the US in states like Florida, New York and New Jersey. Marcelo has made it a well known point to target Latinos, so I'd imagine Cuba probably has as much strategic value as say, Guatemala or El Salvador for instance.

Understood - but are they freely allowed to travel between USA and Cuba?