Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Thing is, there already are plenty of people saying things are so hostile in this country now, that they are protesting it in different ways, just as they have different reasons and different claims for those reasons. Those protesting corporate power, already realize how hostile it is, and a major reason they are protesting it, is because they are trying very hard to change it, so that they don't have to feel like they don't want to live here in the U.S. anymore. As it is, many people have said they don't, because they are terrified of Trump. Not to get political here, and everyone has their own opinion, though I think we can all "silently" agree that regardless of our opinions, it is sad people are made to feel this way by a politician.

Yet, this leads to a point I know many people seem to not want to acknowledge, and that is these corporations are just as powerful in many ways as the politicians they fear, worry about, dislike, hate, protest, etc. When they get around to thinking about it and admitting it in some way, even to themselves, then they an start to open up to the notion of whether their interests are more important to the politicians, or are business interests more important. This country being setup into two political parties that are divided on this issue to a degree. Democrats tend to side more with consumer interests, while Republicans tend to side more with business interests The country now is being led by those siding with business interests.

Regardless of the political climate though, there is one thing that does not change, and that is the goal for every business to make money and to grow larger. The way which that best is done is through mergers and acquisitions. They will try to do that as best as they can regardless of politics, but of course its a lot easier when their is a political landscape which favors them, and certainly this is it. From all reports lately, it seems so long as businesses agree to stay in the U.S. and grow here, they will be favored in their quest for expansion through m&a.

Now, to the AT&T deal I've been talking about. I'm not saying its just going to happen, with AT&T going after T-Mobile. I think AT&T is going to wait and see, watching if Softbank does make a move for T-Mobile. If they do, then yes, I believe AT&T will try again for T-Mobile, as they have a lot to lose from a combined Softbank/Sprint/T-Mobile. So does Verizon, though I expect they won't try for T-Mobile (not saying it isn't possible, just my opinion for now that they won't). Verizon ought to try for Comcast, as many analysts have talked about, and I think its possible for them to get Dish along the way, competing with AT&T's combined Uverse/Directv service, which is landline internet, landline television, and satellite service. However, my opinion isn't as confident in Dish going to Verizon as I am about AT&T going for T-Mobile with a Softbank bid for T-Mobile. I see it possible for AT&T to try merging satellite service by going after Dish as an alternative if they do not go after T-Mobile, or possibly Softbank going for Dish.

What you are failing to realize is this would drastically reduce competition, increase prices, and lead to a stagnation in innovation. Yes this is a business wet dream. But Trump has also stated that he is against allowing the 'media' keep merging and getting more powerful. By itself Comcast owns and controls a ton of content. You just seem to making what would be really complex business dealings into something that is just minor. And I will disagree that the best way for companies to grow is done through mergers and acquisitions. The Sprint Nextel merger is a good example of how some mergers can be the death of a company. The best way for a company to grow is to innovate. Why do people typically hate their cable providers? Could it be that the cable box that they have spent $19.99 a month of x number of years still looks like the same Motorola box from 2004? 

• Like 2

Can former Sprint subscribers take advantage of "new customer" promos? I ported out from Sprint to Cricket in July, but I'm thinking of going back to Sprint for the $50 Unlimited Freedom promo. Would I qualify as a new customer?

Can former Sprint subscribers take advantage of "new customer" promos? I ported out from Sprint to Cricket in July, but I'm thinking of going back to Sprint for the $50 Unlimited Freedom promo. Would I qualify as a new customer?

Should be able to.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You are not a current customer.  Therefore, you will be a new customer.  Unless you have past dues bills that could trip you up upon porting back. 

Not sure if this has been fully discussed or if there is another list out there, but this article mentions six other, 3xCA capable devices that aren't active. Is there a running list? I assume the Pixel/Pixel XL make up two of the six.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/01/sprint-enables-3-carrier-aggregation-more-devices

Not sure if this has been fully discussed or if there is another list out there, but this article mentions six other, 3xCA capable devices that aren't active. Is there a running list? I assume the Pixel/Pixel XL make up two of the six.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2017/01/sprint-enables-3-carrier-aggregation-more-devices

No the Pixel and Pixel XL are not on the list.

According to the article,

7 devices total

6 new devices added to the list

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S7

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

LG V20

LG G5

1 existing device that had 3xCA enabled

HTC Bolt

• Like 3

According to the article,

7 devices total

Sorry, I was talking about this text from the article, "The spokeswoman said a total of 13 devices are three-carrier aggregation capable, but the carrier has yet to enable the feature on the other six devices."

What are (speculating) the other six devices?

Sorry, I was talking about this text from the article, "The spokeswoman said a total of 13 devices are three-carrier aggregation capable, but the carrier has yet to enable the feature on the other six devices."

What are (speculating) the other six devices?

You are probably right in that the Pixel and Pixel XL phones are 2 of the candidates.  However I gotta think that they must be eluding to the 2017 flagship devices.  I am guessing the HTC 10 is on that list.

What you are failing to realize is this would drastically reduce competition, increase prices, and lead to a stagnation in innovation. Yes this is a business wet dream. But Trump has also stated that he is against allowing the 'media' keep merging and getting more powerful. By itself Comcast owns and controls a ton of content. You just seem to making what would be really complex business dealings into something that is just minor. And I will disagree that the best way for companies to grow is done through mergers and acquisitions. The Sprint Nextel merger is a good example of how some mergers can be the death of a company. The best way for a company to grow is to innovate. Why do people typically hate their cable providers? Could it be that the cable box that they have spent $19.99 a month of x number of years still looks like the same Motorola box from 2004?

I should have clarified when I said mergers are the best way for businesses to grow, to meaning this is their "preferred" way to grow in most cases.

Using Sprint as the example here, I've written many times on S4GRU about my being in complete agreement with the majority of members here who believe strongly that Sprint ought to focus on densifying their network, rather than to let the network slip behind while waiting for a merger with T-Mobile. Yet, the reason Sprint is doing this, is because Masayoshi Son realizes he could spend billions on densifying the network, which eould make Sprint have a massive advantage in network quality, but still that will not give Sprint the same kind of advantage they will have being together with T-Nobile.

Besides this though, I'm definitelynot disagreeing with you at all about your perspective on how mergers can negatively affect consumers. Surely there are downsides to them, and I don't intend on sounding as though I'm some sort of merger capitalist. However, I do believe in a sense that mergers in the wireless industry is "needed", because I see it as the most realistic "possible" way of correcting/circumventing the negativity caused by the FCC's handling and distribution method of spectrum.

Basically, I despise dpectrum auctions and see the need for the wireless carriers to merge, in order to create a larger consolidation of spectrum among the fewer carriers left. The affect of this with Softbank taking over T-Mobile and combining spectrum with Sprint, would create such a vast wealth of spectrum giving an already spectrum wealthy Sprint an even greater advantage that the competition would be very worried. For that reason, I believe AT&T would respond with their own offer for T-Mobile, if Softbank were to try for this. Verizon's way of spectrum growth would then be to get Dish, and still Sprint would not be harmed by losing T-Mobile, as they would still have plenty of spectrum that would be on a more level amount to an AT&T/T-Mobile, and Verizon/Dish. Sprint's option then would be to focus on densifying their network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8ms2RzSYk&feature=youtu.be

I guess this is Sprint Super Bowl Ad.

There's a whole lead-up to the ad on this YouTube Playlist.

It pulls from this page: https://www.sprint.com/landings/enough/index.html

Can we have a separate thread for the completely baseless merger speculation please? This thread is unwieldy even without that.

It's not baseless when executives have said they may need a merger to survive.

Also, this thread is the jack of all trades, master of none. Anything goes.

• Like 2

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now, I went and ordered a HTC Bolt Wednesday, it arrived Thursday with free one day shipping. Now using it, and I like it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now, I went and ordered a HTC Bolt Wednesday, it arrived Thursday with free one day shipping. Now using it, and I like it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Any 3xCA sightings and speed test?

Totally random but I would totally hate having limited data, I'm sitting here having a drink and hear "do you have Wi-Fi" lol, that would really annoy the hell out of me. Good thing I have unlimited and never have to use unsecured public Wi-Fi.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Totally random but I would totally hate having limited data, I'm sitting here having a drink and hear "do you have Wi-Fi" lol, that would really annoy the hell out of me. Good thing I have unlimited and never have to use unsecured public Wi-Fi.

Verizon and AT&T have conditioned a lot of people to seek out wifi in fear of going over their monthly data limit. I have unlimited but if I had a limited bucket I still dont think I'd use public wifi. In my eyes if I'm out and about besides maybe the occasional social media post or web search elegant else would I be doing to suck up a lot of data? When I attempted to go use AT&T in 2013 I was paying $110 (employee discount)for 10gb and it seemed like I was checking my data usage after doing anything data related on my phone. It was just doing TEW much. After a month of that, I just switched back to Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Verizon and AT&T have conditioned a lot of people to seek out wifi in fear of going over their monthly data limit. I have unlimited but if I had a limited bucket I still dont think I'd use public wifi. In my eyes if I'm out and about besides maybe the occasional social media post or web search elegant else would I be doing to suck up a lot of data? When I attempted to go use AT&T in 2013 I was paying $110 for 10gb and it seemed like I was checking my data usage after doing anything data related on my phone. It was just doing TEW much. After a month of that, I just switched back to Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only Wi-Fi I use when I am out is Xfinity because I have Comcast, and that is rare that I use it but some places I frequent have basically no service which goes for all providers so I'll just use Wi-Fi calling and such if I need it plus it saves my battery lol.

• Like 1

The only Wi-Fi I use when I am out is Xfinity because I have Comcast, and that is rare that I use it but some places I frequent have basically no service which goes for all providers so I'll just use Wi-Fi calling and such if I need it plus it saves my battery lol.

I stopped using Xfinity since my phone tends to hold onto it a bit too long

I stopped using Xfinity since my phone tends to hold onto it a bit too long

I have WiFi Calling enabled on my iPhone 7, and if I connect to free XFINITY WiFI, my calls don't always go through and the WiFi doesn't work.

So I'm always in the position of turning WiFi Calling or WiFi off if that's the case.

Defeats the whole purpose on both fronts really so I don't bother with it.

Well, I think this is good news, though I know not everyone will agree :

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/02/fcc-ends-investigation-zero-rating-services-t-mobile-binge-on/

"FCC ends investigation into zero-rating services"

I'm posting this here in this thread, instead of in the T-Mobile thread, since this affects all carriers. As I mentioned, I'm glad about this. I know certain kinds of regulation is important, but what the FCC has been doing in regulating wireless in the past several years, is overkill.

While I'm supportive of this news, it isn't enough, and hopefully more will change. I certainly would like for carrier executives to go visit Trump again and the new FCC commission, to negotiate changes in how spectrum is distributed, possibly even to redistribute the current spectrum, in order to develop a system more aligned between local markets among each of the carriers, so to lessen discrepancies (gaps) between them, which would simplify operations, as well.

However, I figure that is less likely to happen than carriers just continuing to swap spectrum, though I still think this would be a good thing for carriers to do besides just swapping spectrum. Also, I'm interested seeing it mentioned in the comment section of that TmoNews article, the notion of speedcapped plans. I'm very supportive of the idea, especially if it will reverse the direction towards audio/video streaming speed limits, redirected towards a Cricket-style singular speed cap for everything.

Well, I think this is good news, though I know not everyone will agree :

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/02/fcc-ends-investigation-zero-rating-services-t-mobile-binge-on/

"FCC ends investigation into zero-rating services"

I'm posting this here in this thread, instead of in the T-Mobile thread, since this affects all carriers. As I mentioned, I'm glad about this. I know certain kinds of regulation is important, but what the FCC has been doing in regulating wireless in the past several years, is overkill.

While I'm supportive of this news, it isn't enough, and hopefully more will change. I certainly would like for carrier executives to go visit Trump again and the new FCC commission, to negotiate changes in how spectrum is distributed, possibly even to redistribute the current spectrum, in order to develop a system more aligned between local markets among each of the carriers, so to lessen discrepancies (gaps) between them, which would simplify operations, as well.

However, I figure that is less likely to happen than carriers just continuing to swap spectrum, though I still think this would be a good thing for carriers to do besides just swapping spectrum. Also, I'm interested seeing it mentioned in the comment section of that TmoNews article, the notion of speedcapped plans. I'm very supportive of the idea, especially if it will reverse the direction towards audio/video streaming speed limits, redirected towards a Cricket-style singular speed cap for everything.

The rich will get richer. I definitely do not share your opinion. 

• Like 3