HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Would be nice if damn Samsung can build some nice quality body for the S5. I'll suck it up for better LTE signal on S4/S5. The boom sound on the HTC is freakin nice too. Blew away all my co-workers phones.

Overall I am very happy with the M8, but since no 800 or Spark anytime soon, HTC M8 performs poorly on Band 25.

In my opinion Band 25 signal reception is the same as the EVO but signal quality is better on the M8, the radios are better in that the signal holds on for a way longer time, and the performance on the same signal is vastly improved. So I could care less if my phones has a weaker signal compared to someone else's device.

Perhaps you had a defective radio. Some are saying the radio is as good as the One Max, others say as good as the G2.

In my opinion Band 25 signal reception is the same as the EVO but signal quality is better on the M8, the radios are better in that the signal holds on for a way longer time, and the performance on the same signal is vastly improved. So I could care less if my phones has a weaker signal compared to someone else's device.

Perhaps you had a defective radio. Some are saying the radio is as good as the One Max, others say as good as the G2.

The signal quality on 1X and 3G is much improved up to 10db.  Beats the S4 easy in this category.  But, from a usable S4 LTE signal to barely usable on the M8, it does matter for folks that won't see 800 and Spark anytime soon.  You're lucky you can get 800 and Spark in NY but I won't see it maybe late next year.  

Love this M8 and would keep, but where I am mostly Band 25 has already been fully build out.  There is no room for improvements other than 800Mhz LTE.  I'll wait for the next M8 next year.   :tu:

Cannot wait for the S5 now, pretty sure the radio on that will be a beast!

The signal quality on 1X and 3G is much improved up to 10db. Beats the S4 easy in this category. But, from a usable S4 LTE signal to barely usable on the M8, it does matter for folks that won't see 800 and Spark anytime soon. You're lucky you can get 800 and Spark in NY but I won't see.

When did you ever hear about San Diego (top 50 msa/can market) not getting spark? It's a patently untrue statement as every market in the nation has begun permitting for NV 2.0 TDD-LTE 8T8R equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am sitting on -105 to -109 on the M8.  S4 sitting on -95 to -99.  That is near 10db.  HTC M8 on the RF department on Band 25 has failed.  The M8 RF on Band 25 is similar to the origin HTC EVO LTE.  This is from my test and the M8 build quality will surely be missed! 

Not sure what to say about this but my m8 on band 25 is a hell of a lot better than the evo lte and the m7.  I am averaging about 7db's less than the n5 and where I am right this minute is a very poor spot when it comes to lte and it is still holding on where as my evo would have never connected until I go outside and my one wouldn't connect unless I am standing in front of the window.

Not sure what to say about this but my m8 on band 25 is a hell of a lot better than the evo lte and the m7.  I am averaging about 7db's less than the n5 and where I am right this minute is a very poor spot when it comes to lte and it is still holding on where as my evo would have never connected until I go outside and my one wouldn't connect unless I am standing in front of the window.

Maybe I'll ask them to ship me a new one.  Probably have a bad radio on mines.

• Like 1

In my observations, the M8 is at least 12 to 15 db better than my Evo was in the same locations and 5 db better than my friends S4. I am very happy so far with this phone. There may be something not quite right with your phone.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

In my observations, the M8 is at least 12 to 15 db better than my Evo was in the same locations and 5 db better than my friends S4. I am very happy so far with this phone. There may be something not quite right with your phone.

I am returning it and pickup a new one.  Hopefully better results this time.   :)

• Like 1

Band 25 test?

What's the lte file you're speaking of?

I believe it is a cached list of sites your phone has connected to LTE on. It can be accessed from ##DATA#

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Well, maybe I'm crazy but I activated my new Gold One M8 today when I got off work (~11:15ish PM) and as of 1:49am, I'm already missing my G2.  I think the phone looks hella sexy but ever since the KitKat update on my G2 came, all of the main problems I've had were remedied (Bluetooth in vehicle being the largest factor.) 

I've decided I'm going to return the One M8 but I understand the appeal this device has.  I think the device is just too tall and skinny for me.  Of course, I'm used to using a fatter phone (G2) so maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance to adjust and adapt but something about my G2 is bringing me back. 

As for RF performance, it's definitely on par with the G2.  I'd say they're pretty even.  Signalcheck Pro displays the UCF and DCF channels on the One M8, which made it pretty cool to see what bands I was connected to.  

(Only Tested Band 25.) 

• Like 2

Well, maybe I'm crazy but I activated my new Gold One M8 today when I got off work (~11:15ish PM) and as of 1:49am, I'm already missing my G2.  I think the phone looks hella sexy but ever since the KitKat update on my G2 came, all of the main problems I've had were remedied (Bluetooth in vehicle being the largest factor.) 

I've decided I'm going to return the One M8 but I understand the appeal this device has.  I think the device is just too tall and skinny for me.  Of course, I'm used to using a fatter phone (G2) so maybe I'm not giving it enough of a chance to adjust and adapt but something about my G2 is bringing me back. 

As for RF performance, it's definitely on par with the G2.  I'd say they're pretty even.  Signalcheck Pro displays the UCF and DCF channels on the One M8, which made it pretty cool to see what bands I was connected to.  

(Only Tested Band 25.)

How did you get the gold variant? Through best buy? I'm slowly becoming more tempted to pull the trigger but best buy has it for 799.00 which is ridiculous

I am one of the unfortunate souls who has the problem with not being able to receive calls while on LTE with the new M8.  I just picked up the phone yesterday (Chicagoland Area), and realized that I had the problem once I got home.  I was told by Sprint tech support that they know about the problem, that it's not affecting all M8 users, and that they are in the middle of gathering information to forward to HTC.

Troubleshooting efforts included reboots, factory resets, profile/PRL updates, removing my number from Google Voice, and reactivating my phone.  Today, I'm gonna swap out my phone at Best Buy for a new one in hopes that it is simply hardware specific issue.  However, my inner tech geek already knows that probably won't work.

Take this away and the phone is wonderful.  I'm pulling LTE in my house and that has never happened.  The Gunmetal Grey is stunning.  The UFocus effects are really cool.  Funny...I always by my phones based on every feature except the most basic one...making and receiving calls.  This experience is reminding me that all of that stuff (specs, features, build quality, benchmarks, camera, etc.) doesn't even matter if I can't make a damn call.  Go figure...

I am one of the unfortunate souls who has the problem with not being able to receive calls while on LTE with the new M8.  I just picked up the phone yesterday (Chicagoland Area), and realized that I had the problem once I got home.  I was told by Sprint tech support that they know about the problem, that it's not affecting all M8 users, and that they are in the middle of gathering information to forward to HTC.

Troubleshooting efforts included reboots, factory resets, profile/PRL updates, removing my number from Google Voice, and reactivating my phone.  Today, I'm gonna swap out my phone at Best Buy for a new one in hopes that it is simply hardware specific issue.  However, my inner tech geek already knows that probably won't work.

Take this away and the phone is wonderful.  I'm pulling LTE in my house and that has never happened.  The Gunmetal Grey is stunning.  The UFocus effects are really cool.  Funny...I always by my phones based on every feature except the most basic one...making and receiving calls.  This experience is reminding me that all of that stuff (specs, features, build quality, benchmarks, camera, etc.) doesn't even matter if I can't make a damn call.  Go figure...

:lol:  :rasp:  :rolleyes:

Whoa wait a minute here ! I would ask Sprint if they have CSBF installed on the towers you are connected to do not let them try to blame it on HTC. It is my understanding that this is due to a lack of the CSBF fallback switch technology being installed on all towers. I do not think it is your phone but more like Sprint trying to get there new network ironed out and working properly. However I also thought that in Chicago that most of the towers should already have it implemented. I have never heard of this issue being caused by the device it self so this would be new to me if it is the HTC One ! Anyone heard any different ?

Whoa wait a minute here ! I would ask Sprint if they have CSBF installed on the towers you are connected to do not let them try to blame it on HTC. It is my understanding that this is due to a lack of the CSBF fallback switch technology being installed on all towers. I do not think it is your phone but more like Sprint trying to get there new network ironed out and working properly. However I also thought that in Chicago that most of the towers should already have it implemented. I have never heard of this issue being caused by the device it self so this would be new to me if it is the HTC One ! Anyone heard any different ?

I went with their excuse the first time only because I hadn't gotten around to configuring my phone yet and I live 10 minutes away from Best Buy.  So...I went this morning and swapped out my M8 with a new one.  Here's the rub...it actually is working better now.  I have the phone in LTE/CDMA mode.  I'm at home with no wifi on and I'm pulling a LTE signal with the Spark icon spinning periodically.  The signal meter is showing 1 or zero bars (weird because i have an Airwave), but incoming and outgoing calls are working.  However, I rebooted my phone for the hell of it as I was typing this and afterwards, an incoming call test failed.  Once I dialed out the same number successfully, I called my M8 again and that time, it worked.

I'm pretty sure now it's a CSBF failback issue...even with the new results.  I plan on contacting the tech I was working with earlier to give her the updated info and to ask her specifically about CSBF on the towers closest to my home.

Before I forget, what are the best apps to download to check signal strength, type, etc?  Thanks...

Thought you all might want to see this...

Drop Test

http:// http://bgr.com/2014/04/04/galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-5s-vs-htc-one-m8-drop-test/

And this review...

http:// http://gigaom.com/2014/04/04/first-impressions-of-the-htc-one-m8/"]http://gigaom.com/2014/04/04/first-impressions-of-the-htc-one-m8/

Sent from my RCT6378W2

Edited by kct1975

First link, take out the >

Edit: poor iPhone :( 

• Like 1

I went with their excuse the first time only because I hadn't gotten around to configuring my phone yet and I live 10 minutes away from Best Buy. So...I went this morning and swapped out my M8 with a new one. Here's the rub...it actually is working better now. I have the phone in LTE/CDMA mode. I'm at home with no wifi on and I'm pulling a LTE signal with the Spark icon spinning periodically. The signal meter is showing 1 or zero bars (weird because i have an Airwave), but incoming and outgoing calls are working. However, I rebooted my phone for the hell of it as I was typing this and afterwards, an incoming call test failed. Once I dialed out the same number successfully, I called my M8 again and that time, it worked.

I'm pretty sure now it's a CSBF failback issue...even with the new results. I plan on contacting the tech I was working with earlier to give her the updated info and to ask her specifically about CSBF on the towers closest to my home.

Before I forget, what are the best apps to download to check signal strength, type, etc? Thanks...

Get Signal check pro for your signal. Then if touch the address of the tower at the top you can map your tower and get tower info. Go in to preferences in signal check preferences check the display reset button and set up your alert preferences and status bar. Then You can also get Open signal and or sensorly. Also, airwaves only work for voice and 3g and since your on LTE it would not help with that but you may know that. Android shows the signal strength of the technology you are connected to now like LTE. It used to show your voice signal strength and you would just have your other icon next to it like 3g or 4g. There switching technology is new and with all new technology issues have to be fixed with them before they become closer to perfection.
  • Like 1

damn this amazon $150 for m8 is too tempting. I would much prefer silver but I'm think of buying the gun metal, seeing if I can live with it for a week and either return or keep it.

Ya...I know. I am thinking the same thing. Getting the phone from Amazon, and just living with the Gunmetal gray color.

Ya...I know. I am thinking the same thing. Getting the phone from Amazon, and just living with the Gunmetal gray color.

I have a 30 day quote from gazelle for my one m7 for $115 plus a $50 amazon gift card this thing is practically free. Just really think the silver looks better...and sprint doesn't seem to be on board with anything other than grey and gold