mikejeep

SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your 2G/3G/4G LTE signal strengths

Working good here on me360318831b2e66b9a264c7fd173e043c.jpg

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mike, found a bug, I'm on the main network but my 1x says I'm on my Airave 3. Would you like a diagnostic?

Sure, never hurts.. were you connected to an Airave 3 at one point then handed off to the main network?

ive enabled mobile IP address display but it will not show on the nexus 5X. weird.

Do you have an active mobile data connection (not on Wi-Fi)? Send a diagnostic, I'll take a peek!

-Mike

Do you have an active mobile data connection (not on Wi-Fi)? Send a diagnostic, I'll take a peek!

-Mike

yup, tried lte and 3g.  report sent.

• Like 1

Sure, never hurts.. were you connected to an Airave 3 at one point then handed off to the main network?

-Mike

Diagnostic sent. I actually just noticed it today, I'm 30 min from home so I am pretty sure it's not getting a signal. I have an Airave 3 at home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking for a hand from my faithful followers.. Android has an online bug tracker that helps sort out issues with the OS. Users can "vote" for issues by giving them a 'star' which helps bring them to the attention of the important powers that be...

Done.

And if appropriate and/or possible, for your consideration, a feature request:

Verizon is starting to deploy LTE on band 5.  Was wondering if it's possible to add an audio alert similar to the Sprint 1X 800 alert but triggered when Verizon band 5 LTE is detected?

• Like 2

yup, tried lte and 3g.  report sent.

I saw the report, but you have logcat output disabled in your settings.. please enable it under General Settings, let a few signal updates come through, and try again. Hard for me to see any error messages without that.. sorry!

Verizon is starting to deploy LTE on band 5.  Was wondering if it's possible to add an audio alert similar to the Sprint 1X 800 alert but triggered when Verizon band 5 LTE is detected?

I am working on completely overhauling the Alerts; one of the improvements will be the ability to set them up for any bands/providers you choose. SignalCheck has come a long way from the Sprint-centric Network Vision-tracking app it started as in 2012!

-Mike

• Like 7

I saw the report, but you have logcat output disabled in your settings.. please enable it under General Settings, let a few signal updates come through, and try again. Hard for me to see any error messages without that.. sorry!

I am working on completely overhauling the Alerts; one of the improvements will be the ability to set them up for any bands/providers you choose. SignalCheck has come a long way from the Sprint-centric Network Vision-tracking app it started as in 2012!

-Mike

Even for Sprint users, the ability to set an alert to a specific earfcn (or several) would be quite welcome. Ideally this would also include neighbors. This would allow us to be notified when near a small cell or forth or fifth b41 carrier. Alternatively alerts for any exceptions might also be welcome.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Okay sent again!  sorry.

• Like 1

ive enabled mobile IP address display but it will not show on the nexus 5X.  weird.

For the benefit of everyone else, I figured this out with swintec's help -- it's a bug! If you do not have the timestamp display or Location Service enabled, the IP will never appear. I'll have a fix in the next update.

-Mike

• Like 6

You sent me quite a bit! I've filled in a lot of blanks today from numerous sources, S4GRU and otherwise. AT&T is fully handled as of now. Got some solid T-Mobile info through an old friend that will help clean things up significantly. caspar347 hooked me up with fantastic Verizon info, but I'm still trying to figure out more. I have conflicting information on their Band 5 sectors, and I'm lacking information on DAS or other non-macro sites if you or anyone else have anything to share..?

-Mike

you sir have an amazing application. I actually like that you're able to make it display the frequencies the phone uses when it connects to LTE. Keep up the great work I appreciate your hard work:-)
  • Like 9

I like the addition of the location button (HERE) in the site notes but I have found it was not very useful while on the freeway.  On a recent trip, I would drive past a tower and click the "HERE" button but of course it could not find a full address.

Would it be possible to have it enter just the GPS coordinates in the site notes?  I then could go back later and and update the site note using my computer.

• Like 1

I like the addition of the location button (HERE) in the site notes but I have found it was not very useful while on the freeway.  On a recent trip, I would drive past a tower and click the "HERE" button but of course it could not find a full address.

Would it be possible to have it enter just the GPS coordinates in the site notes?  I then could go back later and and update the site note using my computer.

Hmm.. that's easy to implement from a technical standpoint, but I'm not sure of the best way to add it to the UI. Did you have something in mind? I can't add a fourth button to the Site Note popup (3 is max), but I could add an option under Preferences to have it populate coordinates instead of the address every time. Would that still be useful, or do you like the address to be displayed on most occasions?

EDIT: Would adding an option to have the coordinates added to the geocoded address -- for example, "[40.1234, -70.9876] 123 Main Street, Boston" work for you?

-Mike

Edited by mikejeep
  • Like 1

Hmm.. that's easy to implement from a technical standpoint, but I'm not sure of the best way to add it to the UI. Did you have something in mind? I can't add a fourth button to the Site Note popup (3 is max), but I could add an option under Preferences to have it populate coordinates instead of the address every time. Would that still be useful, or do you like the address to be displayed on most occasions?

-Mike

Don't forget the coordinates would be in the logs. Then ease of editing becomes the issue. Ultimately this goes back to adding two columns for actual site lat long to be used for site user notes and nieghbor distance, which would then preserve rsrp to be used for quality of signal in difficult or in transition cases.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

EDIT: Would adding an option to have the coordinates added to the geocoded address -- for example, "[40.1234, -70.9876] 123 Main Street, Boston" work for you?

-Mike

I guess I like the option idea (preferences).  I certainly don't want to mess it up for anyone else because I probably enter my notes differently.  I just know that I am not normally sitting under a tower inputting site notes.  

Mike, love the updates man! Also, very good idea for the donate button as you deserve it for your hard work. 

As I've been using Android Auto more, is there a way you can get the SingalCheck notifications to show up on the Android Auto screen? Not necessarily in the notification bar, but as one of them card like notifications.  I didn't see this listed as a Feature Request on your website and thread searching doesn't come up with a hit, so I thought I'd ask the question. Like how the weather shows up here? I know Google's a bit stingy with which apps get access to the Android Auto display. 

bTgP14Km.png

• Like 1

Don't forget the coordinates would be in the logs. Then ease of editing beomes the issue. Ultimately this goes back to adding two columns for actual site lat long to be used for site user notes and nieghbor distance, which would then preserve rsrp to be used for quality of signal in difficult or in transition cases.

Is that something you'd find useful? I hadn't heard.. ;) It is in the pipeline. Database changes cause a lot of back-end work, and also trigger an extra routine on the UE at first run, so I try to minimize how often I touch the structure. I am working on ironing out an unrelated database bug before I implement that, but it IS coming soon.

I guess I like the option idea (preferences).  I certainly don't want to mess it up for anyone else because I probably enter my notes differently.  I just know that I am not normally sitting under a tower inputting site notes.

Would you prefer coordinates-only, or the coordinates plus the geocoded address like I mentioned? Doesn't matter to me; I know some people run scripts on their logs so I try to accommodate whatever I can.

As I've been using Android Auto more, is there a way you can get the SingalCheck notifications to show up on the Android Auto screen? Not necessarily in the notification bar, but as one of them card like notifications.  I didn't see this listed as a Feature Request on your website and thread searching doesn't come up with a hit, so I thought I'd ask the question. Like how the weather shows up here? I know Google's a bit stingy with which apps get access to the Android Auto display.

Funny you should mention that, I had Android Auto on the to-do list until last night.. I was looking into it, and learned that Android is very strict about what third-party apps they allow for Auto. They only permit two categories: Audio streams and two-way messaging apps. SignalCheck does not fit the guidelines for either one, so it's off the table for now. If Android changes its rules, I'll certainly consider it again.

-Mike

• Like 4

Would you prefer coordinates-only, or the coordinates plus the geocoded address like I mentioned? Doesn't matter to me; I know some people run scripts on their logs so I try to accommodate whatever I can.

-Mike

I don't have a strong preference either way.  If I had to pick,  I would say coordinates with geocoded address would be nice.

• Like 1

Mike, Its showing airave 3 when It's not airave 3, this 1 is the old airave. I sent a diagnostic 975d78c669d763d1f339a574cfff47a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mike, Its showing airave 3 when It's not airave 3, this 1 is the old airave. I sent a diagnostic

The information I had is that NID 502 is assigned to the Airave 3, that's why you are seeing that pop up.. I'll just change it to Airave, I don't think there's a significant enough reason to designate the new model any differently, especially if it's not consistently identified.

-Mike

• Like 2

The information I had is that NID 502 is assigned to the Airave 3, that's why you are seeing that pop up.. I'll just change it to Airave, I don't think there's a significant enough reason to designate the new model any differently, especially if it's not consistently identified.

-Mike

do you think you can find a way for it to show the exact frequency its connected to..for example ... 2140.0 mhz

because on my sprint lg g5 it dosent show said information..

do you think you can find a way for it to show the exact frequency its connected to..for example ... 2140.0 mhz

because on my sprint lg g5 it dosent show said information..

The CDMA channel number in the engineering screen should tell you that. Here's a good resource to help figure out the frequency.

http://niviuk.free.fr/cdma_band.php

Funny you should mention that, I had Android Auto on the to-do list until last night.. I was looking into it, and learned that Android is very strict about what third-party apps they allow for Auto. They only permit two categories: Audio streams and two-way messaging apps. SignalCheck does not fit the guidelines for either one, so it's off the table for now. If Android changes its rules, I'll certainly consider it again.

-Mike

I would love to have something like this

What's B41 SC?

I have B42, B412, B413, B41 SC now.

What's B41 SC?

I have B42, B412, B413, B41 SC now.

Potential B41 small cell.
  • Like 1

FYI, Android Oreo has caused a few hiccups with SignalCheck. The most noticeable ones:

1) CDMA BSL latitude and longitude are flipped. This is a known bug that the Android team claimed was previously fixed. I am looking into rolling out a band-aid fix until they solve the issue. Please 'star' this issue on the Android Issue Tracker to help draw attention to it: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63130155

2) Mobile Data status never seems to go "inactive" when connected to Wi-Fi. Not sure if this is a bug or intentional changed behavior.

3) Logcat is full of errors about audio streams. I am looking into where this is coming from. (EDIT: It's another Android bug. Please 'star' to help: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64017989)

If anyone notices anything else, please let me know. Still quietly working on updates over here!

-Mike

• Like 4