Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dnicekid

I see alot of posts throughout forums (besides this one) that state they wish the Note 4 was water resistant as well as for too much plastic. Do people actually take out their phone in the rain or at a pool that much? As for the plastic that Samsung is known for, doesn't a metal phone get dented if dropped (besides the glass breaking) as oppose to a plastic covered device?   

Maybe i haven't researched this fully or am missing something so can someone try to convince me why it is so important for a phone to be 

1-water resistance and

2-have a metal body.

TS

• Like 1

I see alot of posts throughout forums (besides this one) that state they wish the Note 4 was water resistant as well as for too much plastic. Do people actually take out their phone in the rain or at a pool that much? As for the plastic that Samsung is known for, doesn't a metal phone get dented if dropped (besides the glass breaking) as oppose to a plastic covered device?   

Maybe i haven't researched this fully or am missing something so can someone try to convince me why it is so important for a phone to be 

1-water resistance and

2-have a metal body.

TS

The marketers drilled it into their heads that this is something they need!

• Like 1

1-water resistance and

2-have a metal body.

TS

water resistant would be nice but I've been fine without it. Waterproof definitely not needed. Metal body? As someone said earlier my gN2 fake metal band is scraping off, but as you said would a real metal one dent? And no I won't put a case on it not even a screen protector. I guess I live dangerously lol. I just want it to perform and to do that it's got to have horsepower.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

On a side note (pardon the pun) I wonder if the S5 has those water indicators inside of it. I know the Note 4 would but does the S5. And what would that mean for warranty purposes. Would they reject a warranty claim due to the indicators turning pink? 

Things that make you go hmmm.

Anyway back on topic, The more I read about the Note Edge (Nedge ?) the more I like it. But i refuse to jump the gun this time. I will wait until the reviews and most importantly until S4GRU does its investigative work on these two devices.

TS

• Like 1

Do people actually take out their phone in the rain or at a pool that much?

TS

Here in Reno, a popular summer activity is to go tubing down the Truckee River. We usually go for about 3 hours, which is a long time to be phoneless.

Sometimes we go down to Las Vegas, where beach / day clubs are a big thing. Unless you're a high roller and can spring for a table or cabana, there isn't really anywhere you can set your stuff down. Ppl just roll up their clothes in a towel and put it in a pile with everyone else's stuff, so it's not the ideal place to put a phone. Thus, the decision comes down to not bringing your phone out at all, but then being phoneless for a large part of the day.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Being waterproof is just nice peace of mind. Having an s5 it's come in handy exactly once. But at the same time I'm never afraid to use or bring my phone in any kind of trip or activity. I can't tell you how many Facebook status messages I've read that state people who have accidentally dropped their phone in water. It should start being an industry standard like gorilla glass.

• Like 1

1-water resistance and

2-have a metal body.

TS

On my vacation in Houston, I took the Galaxy S5 in the pool with me 10/15 days I was there. I loved relaxing and swimming with the phone. Browsing the web in the pool was much better than on the couch. ^_^

I took tons of underwater videos with the family in 4K, and we had a blast watching them. (I know, I know, "It's not meant for that! It's water resistant, not waterproof!") It works perfectly as long as you make sure everything is shut tight.

You could say I've grown accustomed to it, and its a major letdown that I wouldn't be able to take the Note 4 in with me.

• Like 2

1-water resistance and

2-have a metal body.

TS

I have no restrictions for when I take my phone out. Rain, sleet or snow.
  • Like 1

I have heard that the Note 2 and 3 will work fine with 128gb microSD cards.  However, the Note 4 says "up to 64gb." What gives?

It should be able to use 128 cards as well, yes? - But why not acknowledge that explicitly?

I have heard that the Note 2 and 3 will work fine with 128gb microSD cards. However, the Note 4 says "up to 64gb." What gives?

It should be able to use 128 cards as well, yes? - But why not acknowledge that explicitly?

Officially, the Note 2 and 3 supported up to 64gb. For some reason, Samsung still hasn't seen the need to jump to 128gb support with the Note 4. Probably because the actual amount of people who actually use that high of a capacity in their phones is so small. It's the same reason it chose to switch from USB 3.0 on the S5 back to USB 2.0 with the new Note 4. Yes, there are some people who could actually get a lot of use out of it, but Samsung probably couldn't justify the extra cost the feature would have added when only a tiny percentage of users would take advantage of it. There's always a tradeoff. However, it may "unofficially" work with 128gb micro SDs if the previous models did.

http://stech2.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Infographic-Galaxy-Note-Series-at-a-glance.png

I'm scratching my head as to why Samsung is taking over a month to ship the Note 4.  The iPhone 6+ or whatever it will be called will be in stores before then!

I can see a delay in the Edge model, but not the regular Note.

• Like 1

I rather them take a bit longer and get all the kinks out rather than quickly ship out the devices full of bugs or what not and having consumers being beta testers. The Apple users most likely will not jump ship over to Android and the same for Android users jumping over to the Apple camp, so I rather they take their time than rush out a device just to compete with the almighty Apple. 

As for Apple, I see the regular size iPhone shipping soon and with plenty of supply, but the larger one (if the rumors are to be true) will probably face a supply shortage since that is the one that most people are probably going to go after.

TS

• Like 1

I'm scratching my head as to why Samsung is taking over a month to ship the Note 4. The iPhone 6+ or whatever it will be called will be in stores before then!

I can see a delay in the Edge model, but not the regular Note.

Apple does things differently than most companies. They mass produce before announcement and ship them out on announcement date which takes about a week to get to so many locations. That is why Apple is one of the best at doing that.
  • Like 1

FCC doc for a Note 4

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=569041&fcc_id=A3LSMN9108V

The Sprint version is SM-N910P.  Can't seem to find it on the FCC site, unless the FCC ID is different.

Since this doesn't have ESMR band, I think it is the one for China Mobile or China Unicom. They tend to end in a V.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=598336&fcc_id=A3LSMN910P

Ding ding! Sprint Note 4!

Unfortunately just 25/26/41 for LTE so no rural wonder.

Apparently AJ etc are aware of it already and dissecting it.

Also, apparently no carrier aggregation :(

• Like 2

Ohhh no...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=598336&fcc_id=A3LSMN910P

Ding ding! Sprint Note 4!

Apparently AJ etc are aware of it already and dissecting it.

:td: 

Looks like I'm skipping the N4. I don't know what to replace my N3 with now :(

Weird, it explicitly states that it doesn't support VoLTE. I'd assume all the hardware is there for it. Would it require FCC re-certification to enable it at a later date via software?
Really want to hear about how the RF performance looks. If anyone could weight in on it versus the S2 / Epic 4G Touch, I'd be much obliged. My home is currently on the margin of where CDMA doesn't work on my S2 and wonder if this will perform better than that, or has reception improvements only been really happening for LTE?

Weird, it explicitly states that it doesn't support VoLTE. I'd assume all the hardware is there for it. Would it require FCC re-certification to enable it at a later date via software?

Really want to hear about how the RF performance looks. If anyone could weight in on it versus the S2 / Epic 4G Touch, I'd be much obliged. My home is currently on the margin of where CDMA doesn't work on my S2 and wonder if this will perform better than that, or has reception improvements only been really happening for LTE?

I don't know anything about the devices you listed however there is a massive difference in the 1X800 for voice. My service was Un usable in my home for a long time. Voice is now not an issue I even think of anymore. My data on the other hand is not so good on my S3. Judging by the way my son's S5 works I would expect the Note 4 to be just as good. I have been holding out for the note since April so I really hope it isn't a disappointment.

Sent from the cosmos

In my cursory review, EIRP looked average for the Sprint GN4. Like the Galaxy S5 did. I would expect a similar experience RF wise to the GS5. Which means it would likely be slightly better than the S2/E4GT in RF Performance. Which was less than average.

As for VoLTE, I can't think of why it would need to be recertified if it was somehow enabled in the future. VoLTE still just uses the same LTE transmission channels, and nothing would change from that regard. The actual voice is converted to data essentially and carried in the same LTE transmission.

Since Sprint has not even finalized its VoLTE plans and architecture, let alone start a VoLTE FIT yet, Sprint VoLTE capability cannot be guaranteed on any existing device. Because it may turn out after Sprint finishes its plan, that plan may make some existing VoLTE devices not compatible. So you can expect every Sprint device to be completely mum about VoLTE until Sprint at least gets to the FIT stage.

Sprint's VoLTE plans are going to be focused on making sure that they are interoperable with their RRPP partners. Where as current VoLTE providers are focusing internally and not externally. There could be some differences in Sprint's VoLTE architecture as a result.

• Like 1