Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dnicekid

I don't know anything about the devices you listed however there is a massive difference in the 1X800 for voice. My service was Un usable in my home for a long time. Voice is now not an issue I even think of anymore. My data on the other hand is not so good on my S3. Judging by the way my son's S5 works I would expect the Note 4 to be just as good. I have been holding out for the note since April so I really hope it isn't a disappointment.

Sent from the cosmos

E4GT has 1x800 ability in it, but at present is useless to me. I live in Michigan in the IBEZ, so Sprint isn't going to start using the 800mhz band around here until Spring 2015 (and that is being very optimistic).

E4GT has 1x800 ability in it, but at present is useless to me. I live in Michigan in the IBEZ, so Sprint isn't going to start using the 800mhz band around here until Spring 2015 (and that is being very optimistic).

Definitely optimistic. The East Michigan market didn't even have 800 RRU's installed. When you start seeing RRU installs at Sprint sites (other than B41), that's when you can start getting excited. Spring 2015 is when I expect the earliest to see some RRU installs happening. More likely mid year.

When you say Carrier aggregation Are you referring to the LTE cat6 feature? Is that only for faster speeds in big cities or would there be potential for high speeds in rural Midwest with existing infrastructure? 

Edited by aulwes

When you say Carrier aggregation Are you referring to the LTE cat6 feature? Is that only for faster speeds in big cities or would there be potential for high speeds in rural Midwest with existing infrastructure?

You can do CA with Cat 4. But only upon to 20MHz total throughput. Since Sprint will be bonding 20MHz channels on their network, Sprint devices need a Cat 6 device in order to do Carrier Aggregation. So any Sprint Cat 4 device precludes the ability to do CA.

Sprint is installing B41 LTE capable of CA now all over the place. Some in cities, some in rural areas. However, the CEO of Sprint yesterday said they are changing the focus of this deployment to be on sites experiencing performance problems first. While this may preclude many rural areas at first, they will eventually do them all at every site that has backhaul that can support the speeds.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-375-marcelo-declares-a-new-day-for-sprint-and-changes-band-41-priorities/

In my cursory review, EIRP looked average for the Sprint GN4. Like the Galaxy S5 did. I would expect a similar experience RF wise to the GS5. Which means it would likely be slightly better than the S2/E4GT in RF Performance. Which was less than average.

As for VoLTE, I can't think of why it would need to be recertified if it was somehow enabled in the future. VoLTE still just uses the same LTE transmission channels, and nothing would change from that regard. The actual voice is converted to data essentially and carried in the same LTE transmission.

Since Sprint has not even finalized its VoLTE plans and architecture, let alone start a VoLTE FIT yet, Sprint VoLTE capability cannot be guaranteed on any existing device. Because it may turn out after Sprint finishes its plan, that plan may make some existing VoLTE devices not compatible. So you can expect every Sprint device to be completely mum about VoLTE until Sprint at least gets to the FIT stage.

Sprint's VoLTE plans are going to be focused on making sure that they are interoperable with their RRPP partners. Where as current VoLTE providers are focusing internally and not externally. There could be some differences in Sprint's VoLTE architecture as a result.

Thanks, since it sounds likely to be at least as good performance wise, I won't feel bad about having held onto to my upgrade so long. I had thought of getting the Note 3, but couldn't justify the extra costs above other carriers with lack of Band 41 to myself. Not having carrier aggregation is something I feel I can live with, and given the calling over wifi, I might send Sprint back my Airave. Knowing VoLTE compatibility would be nice, but I agree, Sprint being free to design around VoLTE compatibility between networks is far more important than guaranteeing anyone's current phone will work with it in the future.

Definitely optimistic. The East Michigan market didn't even have 800 RRU's installed. When you start seeing RRU installs at Sprint sites (other than B41), that's when you can start getting excited. Spring 2015 is when I expect the earliest to see some RRU installs happening. More likely mid year. 

Yeah, and given I'm in a semi-rural area outside Ann Arbor, I don't expect the tower near me will be a priority. I'd expect Sprint to focus primarily on inbuilding coverage in more populated areas. I'm always surprised that I'm just on the cusp of a Sprint signal (sometimes I can make a call, but it is almost guaranteed to cut out) yet the same tower near me that services Verizon and ATT doesn't seem to get a better signal.

I'm hoping the next Nexus as well as if there is a HTC Max replacement are announced before/around the time of the Note 4 release so we can make a good decision.

Unfortunately the Nexus is unlikely to support Wi-Fi calling.

Just out of curiosity what in the fcc document would need to be present to show carrier aggregation? Not doubting anyone just trying to understand.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity what in the fcc document would need to be present to show carrier aggregation? Not doubting anyone just trying to understand.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

No Carrier Aggregation on the GN4. 

UE Category 4 baseband. 

I'm slightly confused I thought the Galaxy Note 4 for the U.S market would be a category 6 as it was using the Snapdragon 805 processor. I do know that the International Variant is using the Samsung developed processor with octacores and that is an integrated category 4 device.

I did read they had an option of using the catergory 4 modem with the snapdragon 805 just now. That would be deflating if that is the case. I will take the Note 4 off my watch list of devices if that is the case.

Edited by transitwatch889
  • Like 1

I get the impression that (for the US at least) Samsung basically recycles the RF stack from that year's Galaxy S when building out the Note. Thus the Note 3 had the S4 RF parts. This wouldn't really work for the Note 4 though - the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 in it doesn't have a built in modem, unlike the Galaxy S5, though they could get the discrete modem version of the built in modem for the Snapdragon 801.

It seems Samsung keeps skimping on RF for the Note, at least as far as it deals with Sprint. I skipped over the Note 3 because of the lack of Band 41. Carrier aggregation isn't as big a deal to me however - I can live without it.

• Like 2

DisplayMate conducts its test on both the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge.

What I find interesting (among other things) is the following from the article..

Both displays use the Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) technology.  The main difference between the Galaxy Note Edge and Galaxy Note 4’s displays are their substrates – the Note Edge display is on a flexible plastic substrate and the Note 4 uses a traditional glass substrate. 

bottom line conclusion is that it has the best display on the market. See the sources links below for further details.

Sources:

Android Headlines <-- for article

DisplayMate <-- for actual tests and graphs

TS out

• Like 1

I'm slightly confused I thought the Galaxy Note 4 for the U.S market would be a category 6 as it was using the Snapdragon 805 processor. I do know that the International Variant is using the Samsung developed processor with octacores and that is an integrated category 4 device.

I did read they had an option of using the catergory 4 modem with the snapdragon 805 just now. That would be deflating if that is the case. I will take the Note 4 off my watch list of devices if that is the case.

No one at S4GRU knows for certain.  The FCC OET authorization docs present confusing, possibly even conflicting info.  All we can say is that the baseband is Category 3, 4, or 6.  And, regardless, the Galaxy Note 4 is not authorized for carrier aggregation.

AJ

As for VoLTE, I can't think of why it would need to be recertified if it was somehow enabled in the future. VoLTE still just uses the same LTE transmission channels, and nothing would change from that regard. The actual voice is converted to data essentially and carried in the same LTE transmission.

Devices will likely need to be tested and FCC OET authorized for VoLTE.  As far as I know, third party VoIP is classified as a data service, but VoLTE is classified as a voice service.  Thus, at the very least, VoLTE tests will be needed to demonstrate hearing aid and T-coil compatibility.

AJ

You mean Sprint has no LTE in Jakarta?  Well, that sucks.

;)

AJ

Don't tell that d-bag S. Ali from those fiercwireless.com comments..he'd counter that T-mobile has EXCELLENT coverage not just in Jakarta, but across the entire Indonesian archipelago.  

• Like 1

Samsung released another infographic for the Note 4 today. What's confusing is that now they list that the micro sd slot accepts up to 128 gb cards when the previous infographic said 64 gb. They also say it has cat 6 compatibility, but we still don't know if that includes Sprint.

Infographic:

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=42096

Here in Reno, a popular summer activity is to go tubing down the Truckee River. We usually go for about 3 hours, which is a long time to be phoneless.

Sometimes we go down to Las Vegas, where beach / day clubs are a big thing. Unless you're a high roller and can spring for a table or cabana, there isn't really anywhere you can set your stuff down. Ppl just roll up their clothes in a towel and put it in a pile with everyone else's stuff, so it's not the ideal place to put a phone. Thus, the decision comes down to not bringing your phone out at all, but then being phoneless for a large part of the day.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.  All the way around!  But, regarding the phone, I'd just leave it at home or in the car in that case.  Too much risk vs very little benefit.  Sometimes it's not only good - but mentally refreshing - to entirely cut yourself off!