Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

I see I'm not the only one that was seeing this.  I know he fixed the map labels and such to show a bit better but I still find it hard to read then combined with the flat black and white map it just doesn't look good at all.  I find myself just using the web browser on my phone to cruise the map now.

I have the old APKs of all my apps from backups so I could pull this one if you need it.

Thank you, do you have a link dropbox ect with the apk?

I think the new sensorly update sucks. It is not user friendly. It clutters the home page with that silly sliding window that I can't get rid of. Its not easy to change providers when looking at coverage. Just seems like a big step backwards. Is like to downgrade as well

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I just downgraded, and now old Sensorly doesn't want to work properly. Anyone else having this issue?

2hrs later, it's now working properly. I will stick with the downgrade for now. When I updated the new version, it had a lot of lag, and I noticed many areas that have LTE that were mapped wasn't showing.

I think the new sensorly update sucks. It is not user friendly. It clutters the home page with that silly sliding window that I can't get rid of. Its not easy to change providers when looking at coverage. Just seems like a big step backwards. Is like to downgrade as well

I couldn't figure out how to change providers or 3G/4G (no WiMax now?) until your post said it was possible.  It then took me a couple of minutes touching, double touching, long touching, swipe this way, swipe that way until I found the magic combination. :(

One thing that I really miss in my <24 hours of use with this version is when mapping, the status/counter bar on the map.

I also don't like the new map zoom, but that I think is a "feature" of the new google map API.  When the phone is in the car dock, doing a single touch, then hitting the - or + was doable, but having to reach over and pinch is harder.

Anyone figure out how to show the satellite layer?  I use that when mapping in fields, trails, parks, and other areas off the roads.

• Like 1

This new software should've been tested for more than a few days, especially with English speaking people.

Less user friendly than before, even if I did speak French.

I agree, as after using it yesterday I ended up uninstalling it. The new maps looks absolutely dreadful from what it was and usability took a decline.

Edited by UCFKnight

Spent day 2 with it and mapped 13k points. My opinion hasn't changed. Not sure what they are thinking with this update. The base maps are horrible. Wonder why they went away from Google maps?

The new version definitely seems like a resource hog because there ate a lot of times where I hit a button and nothing happens. Its like the phone is lagging. Very frustrating.

Also hate that while mapping the map view is basically useless. It does not refresh as fast as the old version so you are really not getting up to date info.

I'd rate this version 1.5 out of 5 stars. The old version I'd give 3.5 or 4 stars.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

The new version definitely seems like a resource hog because there ate a lot of times where I hit a button and nothing happens. Its like the phone is lagging. Very frustrating.

I agree, it is following the trend of a lot of apps, lag lag lag.

If it is anything like the Android version in its current form, it isn't anything to get excited about. The new map system is horrible. It is slow, freezes constantly, doesn't accurately track your location and entire roads and towns are just missing. I have pretty much stopped using it since it's becoming a safety hazard fighting to lock onto my position and force quitting and restarting to get it to work.

• Like 1

If it is anything like the Android version in its current form, it isn't anything to get excited about. The new map system is horrible. It is slow, freezes constantly, doesn't accurately track your location and entire roads and towns are just missing. I have pretty much stopped using it since it's becoming a safety hazard fighting to lock onto my position and force quitting and restarting to get it to work.

Why not downgrade?

I like the original as well, the new app may use a non google map, because once your app uses a certain number of hits google starts to charge you

If that's the case, there are definitely ways around that.  As it is right now, google grants exceptions for some non-profits or for maps deemed in the public's interest.  At least in the US, sensorly was the best crowd-sourced coverage application, which serves the public quite a bit when you consider how accurate the carriers' own coverage maps are.  If sensorly is not a non-profit, or cannot get an exception from google, they could definitely start taking donations or charging for premium features. 

As for the update, I'm not willing to try it because it's visually just not nearly as good and I'm unsure if I'd be able to roll back.  I really don't like the new non-google map and how difficult it makes it to see the map.  Also based on the comments about the UI (accessing menus) some of the "features" (auto-centering on your gps location), and its performance (slow), it sounds like it would be a lot more difficult to use while driving when you only have brief moments at stoplights/etc to safely interact with the app.  I both like and dislike the addition of the speed tests:  I think it's a good way to get more people to start mapping, so they can show off their network's e-peen, yet on the other hand it puts unnecessary strain on networks and uses up non-Sprint users' bandwidth.  Since this is a crowd-sourced app, you really have to look at the desires of the masses, and at least from what I've read here and elsewhere the update takes a step backwards in some of its aspects while improving in others.

I'd be interested in the developers chiming in here or elsewhere about the reasons behind the google maps change and what their thoughts are on the initial reactions we've shown about the various changes. 

• Like 2

I am not impressed with the latest version.  I have downloaded OpenSignal and so far it is a nice app.  Way more features than Sensorly.

Does OpenSignal allow you map out sites?  If not then, it's not even in the same ballpark to be compared on features.

• Like 2

Yeah, OpenSignal is a crowd sourced signal mapper just like Sensorly. I stopped using it and went to Sensorly because it seemed like more users used Sensorly. Unfortunately, the OSM maps in Sensorly are useless, so unless they decided to go back to Google Maps, I am done using it.