Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

I tried to give the new update a try again, but it is such a pain to use. I just want the old map trip functionality using Google maps and having the current amount of points collected at the top. I strongly hate the crap that keeps on taking over the bottom half of the display.

• Like 1

'digiblur', on 17 Jan 2013 - 4:04 PM, said:snapback.png

One thing I have noticed is Sensorly incorrectly reports roaming coverage as Sprint coverage. Not sure if this is done by design or possible limitation at the time.

Went to an area that I know is roaming and wanted to map where Sprint stopped, I left it on accidentally. And it mapped the roaming coverage. DOH! It looks like Sprint has coverage there now.

Now that I look at things with all the times I am roaming in places, really looking at the Sprint CDMA map means nothing about Sprint's service coverage area since it includes all the other CDMA services as well.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Unfortunately, for me, that is not what I am interested in. I am using BoostMobile and am using the maps to see only Sprint coverage, as I do not get roaming.

It will possibly be best for you to use the actual maps on the boost site given your specific needs.

The ping times on the Sensorly app for speed tests are generally wrong on my device. My WiFi ping in usually 17ms or less and the app tells me it is at 127ms.

How does that mean it's wrong? It just indicates that the route between your device and whatever speed test server Sensorly is using has higher latency than whatever server you've used before..

-Mike

• Like 1

I tried to give the new update a try again, but it is such a pain to use. I just want the old map trip functionality using Google maps and having the current amount of points collected at the top. I strongly hate the crap that keeps on taking over the bottom half of the display.

The latest releases uses Google maps again. You can turn off the information that covers the map, most of it is not there anymore. Have you recently updated your app?

The ping times on the Sensorly app for speed tests are generally wrong on my device. My WiFi ping in usually 17ms or less and the app tells me it is at 127ms.

I generally do not use Sensorly for speedtests if I need to run one. It almost never reflects that actual status of the network. I don't know if it's because of the servers they're using or what, but the Speedtest.net app generally gives more accurate results. 

• Like 1

How does that mean it's wrong? It just indicates that the route between your device and whatever speed test server Sensorly is using has higher latency than whatever server you've used before..

-Mike

You're correct. It is just that in general, every speed test app/service that I have used found my ping to be around 17ms, whereas using Sensorly's speed test often brings up pings of 100ms or greater on average.

Hmmm...

https://db.tt/d7ok7DWA

Downgrading again

I uninstalled and reinstalled, I'm definitely not getting Google maps on the latest update.

Perhaps it's the latest beta version since I'm in the beta testing group. I thought it had been pushed out to the play store for everyone already. Guess I was wrong. They are pushing a new official version to the Play Store either tomorrow or Tuesday, so just give it a couple of days. I've been using the latest update for the last couple of days and it is much much better. 

• Like 1

I am in no hurry to upgrade the old version still works. And the new features I saw I most likely won't use that much. I will upgrade in case they have something in the code to make their servers more efficient. I don't know if they changed the code that sends the data and as a user I don't really need to know.

One question though did they fix the map freshness for the mapper of the data? It was was mentioned last page in this thread and someone in the Pittsburgh thread said his info was not added. In the Pittsburgh thread he did not mention what version he was on.

I am in no hurry to upgrade the old version still works. And the new features I saw I most likely won't use that much. I will upgrade in case they have something in the code to make their servers more efficient. I don't know if they changed the code that sends the data and as a user I don't really need to know.

One question though did they fix the map freshness for the mapper of the data? It was was mentioned last page in this thread and someone in the Pittsburgh thread said his info was not added. In the Pittsburgh thread he did not mention what version he was on.

I know that data I map, while watching the details screen, does seem to be uploading faster than in the past. I don't know if that an artifact of my network, or the app.

I haven't encountered any issues mapping since this summer when there was a glitch with the HTC One. Haven't seen that info since then. Typically, if data is not getting mapped, the user is rooted and the ROM authors had the brilliant idea to change the carrier name from Sprint, so Sensorly doesn't know what to do with the data. 

The new update is including google maps again and is much better. For anyone else irritated with the bug (at least I'm assuming its a bug) stating maps are not available at this zoom level, just change the DPI of the app and you will be able to zoom out again. I went with ~110 DPI to see the United States.

https://db.tt/nspCJkY5

Well it is great that I should be able to get 4g through virgin now. But I am wondering if it would possibly reach the loop. So would anyone be able to know if it would be able to reach the dutchtown loop since it is getting almost full signal on 74 it looks like. Also I was wondering how accurate these maps are. As don't phones take a minute sometimes to update on what the signal is?