Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

I picked up LTE today at my job rIght off 129 In Chelmsford only outside and I must've been on the fringe of service. I got on rt 3 south and the service continued for about 4 miles. I mapped on Sensorly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Over the last few days I used Sensorly to map about 1000 LTE points in downtown Boston from South Station to Faneuil Hall along Atlantic Ave and then back up State Street to Congress Street as highlighted in red on the map below. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried my data points never uploaded to the Sensorly map. I lost LTE reception near the Boston Harbor Hotel, but picked it back up by cycling Airplane mode. At which point, I assume I was bounced from the South Station LTE tower to the Faneuil Hall tower.

I'd like to keep using Sensorly, but I am not sure why it never updates the map with my LTE points.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

I have noticed the issue with Sensorly. There are two settings for uploading your points in the settings. You can either only do it when connected to WiFi, or you can use mobile networks to upload your collection data. If you do it via mobile networks, your points will get lost in between your device and Sensorly servers if you have no data connection or a poor data connection when you hit Stop.

After I discovered this issue, I now confirm through a speed test that I have solid upload performance, before hitting the Stop button. I have run several tests now to confirm the issue. As long as I have a solid upload when I hit Stop, my results plot. If I do not have a 3G/4G icon when I hit stop, my 4G points disappeared from my Sensorly app but never upload on the Sensorly site. Or if my data speed test comes back under 100kbps, then most of the time when I hit stop, my plots do not appear on Sensorly.

I've also got into the habit of pressing Stop once every few minutes and restarting. That way, if I lose a batch, it is only a little bit of data, not the whole route. You may want to switch to just uploading on WiFi to help reduce errors.

Robert

• Like 1

I have noticed the issue with Sensorly. There are two settings for uploading your points in the settings. You can either only do it when connected to WiFi, or you can use mobile networks to upload your collection data. If you do it via mobile networks, your points will get lost in between your device and Sensorly servers if you have no data connection or a poor data connection when you hit Stop.

After I discovered this issue, I now confirm through a speed test that I have solid upload performance, before hitting the Stop button. I have run several tests now to confirm the issue. As long as I have a solid upload when I hit Stop, my results plot. If I do not have a 3G/4G icon when I hit stop, my 4G points disappeared from my Sensorly app but never upload on the Sensorly site. Or if my data speed test comes back under 100kbps, then most of the time when I hit stop, my plots do not appear on Sensorly.

I've also got into the habit of pressing Stop once every few minutes and restarting. That way, if I lose a batch, it is only a little bit of data, not the whole route. You may want to switch to just uploading on WiFi to help reduce errors.

Robert

Thanks Robert. This is most likely what is happening to me since I usually hit stop when I lose 4G, and the packets are getting lost in the 4G-3G handshake. I'll try WiFi only.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anyone get LTE at the Big E? I had ehprd but no LTE, I think CM10 is still jacked up for LTE. Going to switch back to stock when I go to Westport and Wareham next week.

I also get ehprd at Bradley Airport in CT, and rom doesn't handle it well. I love jelly bean, but CM10 is bugging me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I can't get LTE on Galaxy Nexus running CM10 either. Anyone else get LTE from a GNex stock or CM10? I wonder if it is a GNex and/or a CM10 issue?

I see sensorly lighting up in Charlestown/Everett but no love for my phone. I updated the radios to FH05 and the trick of going LTE only from here with no success. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871862

I can't get LTE on Galaxy Nexus running CM10 either. Anyone else get LTE from a GNex stock or CM10? I wonder if it is a GNex and/or a CM10 issue?

I see sensorly lighting up in Charlestown/Everett but no love for my phone. I updated the radios to FH05 and the trick of going LTE only from here with no success. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1871862

Are you running a custom PRL? I could not connect in Texas while using any PRL other than one that starts with 25XXX.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Are you running a custom PRL? I could not connect in Texas while using any PRL other than one that starts with 25XXX.

I am on PRL 25006 which from a quick search seems to be the latest from Sprint.

Weird thing is the bars are there they just don't seem to connect. It's been like that for at least 10 days, I assumed it was the towers not being live but since others have connected I have ruled that out.

I see quite a few of you S-III users out there, are the LTE radios the same in the GNex and S-III?

I am on PRL 25006 which from a quick search seems to be the latest from Sprint.

Weird thing is the bars are there they just don't seem to connect. It's been like that for at least 10 days' date=' I assumed it was the towers not being live but since others have connected I have ruled that out.

I see quite a few of you S-III users out there, are the LTE radios the same in the GNex and S-III?[/quote']

I haven't seen anyone post saying they have CM10 and connect to LTE. Could be the ROM.

I have different radio firmware on my GS3 as my GNex. Never have been the same release that I can recall.

I see sensorly lighting up in Charlestown/Everett but no love for my phone. I updated the radios to FH05 and the trick of going LTE only from here with no success. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1871862

I have been running the nightly CM10s and can get LTE fine on my Galaxy Nexus, there is one thing that I have been doing which is copying apns-conf.xml file over the one that comes with the CM10 build I am using. I originally started using it to make ehrpd work (before I had tried any areas that had lte) maybe thats it...

Here is a link to the post I made on xda-developers: http://forum.xda-dev...34#post31167734

On a separate note, I drove from Franklin to Andover on 495 and the data is now in sensorly... Did not get as much 4g in one area that I had mapped the other day, so they might still be working on the cell sites in Bellingham, MA...

Geoff

Edited by gzub
  • Like 2

I haven't seen anyone post saying they have CM10 and connect to LTE. Could be the ROM.

I've been doing it. The 4G/3G handoff is non-existent though. When I lose 4G, I lose data completely for several minutes or I manually toggle airplane mode. I mostly keep my phone on EvDo/CDMA only mode because I only get LTE in a neighborhood I only visit occasionally.

• Like 1

I have been running the nightly CM10s and can get LTE fine on my Galaxy Nexus, there is one thing that I have been doing which is copying apns-conf.xml file over the one that comes with the CM10 build I am using. I originally started using it to make ehrpd work (before I had tried any areas that had lte) maybe thats it...

Here is a link to the post I made on xda-developers: http://forum.xda-dev...34#post31167734

On a separate note, I drove from Franklin to Andover on 495 and the data is now in sensorly... Did not get as much 4g in one area that I had mapped the other day, so they might still be working on the cell sites in Bellingham, MA...

Geoff

If you have to do this to get eHRPD to work then you will need to do this for 4g as well.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

If you have to do this to get eHRPD to work then you will need to do this for 4g as

I don't know if it's still necessary, someone reported it was now working fine without the change, but it became a habit of my nightly flashing routine...

I also don't have 4g at home so I can't do a quick comparison at night when I don't need my phone...

I realize that the change would be required for 4G as well but at the time there were no 4g sites only ehrpd only sites in my area.

Geoff

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Geoff

Thanks for the tip and file Geoff. I tried it but no luck. You mentioned in your xda post of some other ideas? Or think I should flash back to stock or a different rom? You running the FH05 radios? I had the same issue with the previous FG01.

Thanks for the tip and file Geoff. I tried it but no luck. You mentioned in your xda post of some other ideas? Or think I should flash back to stock or a different rom? You running the FH05 radios? I had the same issue with the previous FG01.

I am running the FH05 Radio, with the euroskank nightly, Franco kernel and my apns changes (which I forgot to copy over yesterday and did not get an ehrpd until I did that and rebooted. I was able to get 4g/ehrpd yesterday without a problem using that config.

The other things that I did I do not remember specifically, but they all involved playing around with things in the debug/data menus on the phone (a great utility for easy access to them is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774503) I only remember playing around with settings related to either eHRPD or LTE in there...

Hope that can help you out...

On a side note, there there is a neat section in "Data->BSR->View LTE_available file" which seems to be how sprint reduces the battery drain from scanning for LTE signals. By defailt it appears to scan for LTE rather infrequently (Looking at the settings I would guess 30 seconds), however once it finds that it can get 4G in an area it stores it in the table with the relevant CDMA SID/NID/BSID so that next time the phone is connected to that tower it knows it can scan sooner and get 4G (However I believe that it does not mean that the tower listed has 4G just that it is getting 4G from some tower while it was connected - for example you could have Tower A 100 feet from you but be getting 4G from Tower B 1 mile away and it stores the info from Tower A).

So whenever you go to a new cell with 4G it will take longer to find the signal, subsequent connections will be faster. My table has 71 sites entered for where it has detected 4G (I am pretty sure this is created via discovery by the phone and not sent by Sprint) it had 69 before I drove up to Andover yesterday so I obviously picked up two new sites where 4G can be recieved.

Geoff

I just went on sprints coverage page and i am seeing little black dots and a weird blue sign in an around Boston? The weird blue sign is in Dorchester. Not sure but it could be signs of towers that are being updated.

The little black dots are the for the city names, just like any other map haha. The blue sign, if it looks like a blue antenna logo, that means there is a tower update going on in that area, but that does not mean that its an LTE tower.

EDIT: After looking at the map quickly, it specifically says the blue tower logo means "Future 3G Network Tower".

I am running the FH05 Radio, with the euroskank nightly, Franco kernel and my apns changes (which I forgot to copy over yesterday and did not get an ehrpd until I did that and rebooted. I was able to get 4g/ehrpd yesterday without a problem using that config.

The other things that I did I do not remember specifically, but they all involved playing around with things in the debug/data menus on the phone (a great utility for easy access to them is here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1774503) I only remember playing around with settings related to either eHRPD or LTE in there...

Hope that can help you out...

On a side note, there there is a neat section in "Data->BSR->View LTE_available file" which seems to be how sprint reduces the battery drain from scanning for LTE signals. By defailt it appears to scan for LTE rather infrequently (Looking at the settings I would guess 30 seconds), however once it finds that it can get 4G in an area it stores it in the table with the relevant CDMA SID/NID/BSID so that next time the phone is connected to that tower it knows it can scan sooner and get 4G (However I believe that it does not mean that the tower listed has 4G just that it is getting 4G from some tower while it was connected - for example you could have Tower A 100 feet from you but be getting 4G from Tower B 1 mile away and it stores the info from Tower A).

So whenever you go to a new cell with 4G it will take longer to find the signal, subsequent connections will be faster. My table has 71 sites entered for where it has detected 4G (I am pretty sure this is created via discovery by the phone and not sent by Sprint) it had 69 before I drove up to Andover yesterday so I obviously picked up two new sites where 4G can be recieved.

Geoff

Thanks for the link to that tool, what a find that is. So the phone sees the LTE towers, tries to connect and but throws up two error codes and won't grab an ip address. Error codes otasn:0 and otasn:18. I noticed ota and otasn in the apns-conf.xml file you fixed, I assume it means over the air? In the weeds now!

Just drove through Springfield, MA and got a LTE signal while on I-91 in the south end of the city. I was able to run Speedtest and got 6988kbps down/5470kbps up on the first try, 10352/600 on the second. The signal was likely from the Cross St. tower in Agawam, which is just across the river from the highway. While driving through Longmeadow, MA I was also able to pick up a LTE signal, from the Pondside Rd. tower, and was able to get 2669/354.