Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

4g for the first time in Jamaica Plain. Tower on the Faulkner hospital. 9mb down and 5 up. It seemed that i lost the 4g when i was about only 400 yards away which kinda sucks. Have to really close the tower to get it working.

If you were only getting 9Mbps, then you were likely not connected to the site you think you were, and explains why you got dropped so quickly.

The signal strength indicator on the top bar never shows LTE signal strength, even when the 4G icon is shown. It always shows 1x. Additionally, apps that show you the tower location never show LTE tower locations. It only shows you the location of the 1x signal you are receiving.

The only way to definitively determine LTE signal strength is in the Debug menu, under LTE Engineering.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

4g for the first time in Jamaica Plain. Tower on the Faulkner hospital. 9mb down and 5 up. It seemed that i lost the 4g when i was about only 400 yards away which kinda sucks. Have to really close the tower to get it working.

You could think you are connected to that tower but really be connected to A) one that's not showing as completed or B ) be connected to the tower in mattapan.

Figuring out what tower you are on can be pretty tricky. Just cause the map shows only one tower having LTE in JP doesn't mean that you are connected to it.

If you were only getting 9Mbps, then you were likely not connected to the site you think you were, and explains why you got dropped so quickly.

The signal strength indicator on the top bar never shows LTE signal strength, even when the 4G icon is shown. It always shows 1x. Additionally, apps that show you the tower location never show LTE tower locations. It only shows you the location of the 1x signal you are receiving.

The only way to definitively determine LTE signal strength is in the Debug menu, under LTE Engineering.

You could think you are connected to that tower but really be connected to A) one that's not showing as completed or B ) be connected to the tower in mattapan.

Figuring out what tower you are on can be pretty tricky. Just cause the map shows only one tower having LTE in JP doesn't mean that you are connected to it.

I am only judging by what tower i am connected too by what is on the map for completed sites. it seemed like it was correct on the speed tests i took. As i got further away from the site i am thinking off i got less dataspeeds. Only tower in my area that i have gotten 4g on.

I am only judging by what tower i am connected too by what is on the map for completed sites. it seemed like it was correct on the speed tests i took. As i got further away from the site i am thinking off i got less dataspeeds. Only tower in my area that i have gotten 4g on.

It could be - check the debug menu and let us know for sure!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am incredibly jealous lol.

Was visiting some friends this weekend up in the Summerville area and finally picked up some LTE off the water over by Anthony's on Pier 4.

DC wants love too lol.

It's better to be in DC, then say, Northern New Mexico! :)

Well, at least as far as Sprint LTE deployment is concerned.

Robert

I'll be on Cape Cod next weekend near Hyannis for a wedding.. I will see what I get!!

I love Cape Cod this time of year. Wish I was going!

I live around the corner and have never been! lol

Bobby

Surely, you're joking. Right? It would almost be impossible to live in a place like New Bedford and never been to Cape Cod. Unless you are a new transplant to Massachusetts.

Robert

Surely, you're joking. Right? It would almost be impossible to live in a place like New Bedford and never been to Cape Cod. Unless you are a new transplant to Massachusetts.

Robert

Born and raised in New Bedford. Farthest I have been is Hyannis to the mall. Guess being a local it doesn't tickle my fancy. Am I missing anything good?

Bobby

• Like 1

Robert

That is crazy Bobby that you have never gone down there. Allot of stuff to do during the summer.

Born and raised in New Bedford. Farthest I have been is Hyannis to the mall. Guess being a local it doesn't tickle my fancy. Am I missing anything good?

Bobby

It's just a great place to spend a long weekend, or a vacation. Good dining, beaches, etc. But I guess to someone who has those things already to them on a local scale, Cape Cod may just appear to be a big tourist trap.

Robert

It's just a great place to spend a long weekend, or a vacation. Good dining, beaches, etc. But I guess to someone who has those things already to them on a local scale, Cape Cod may just appear to be a big tourist trap.

Robert

My wife worked in Hyannis and said the people that live "on Cape" think they have their own little country there. She said many people never venture "off cape" Snobby people too she said. I did think about going to Martha's Vineyard this summer but I went to New York instead.

One more day till LTE is supposed to be on for Boston officially! Lets hope that Engadget post was correct. :)

I'm also hoping that the tower in Mattapan gives signal to me in Dorchester about 3.5 miles away.

It is correct. Sites have been going live yesterday and today. More will likely go live this afternoon and tomorrow morning. But this is just a pre launch, just allowing sites that are already complete the ability to be used. This is not wall to wall coverage all over the market. That is a long way away still.

However, more and more sites will go live every week for the next 6 months until the entire market is covered.

Robert

• Like 2

It is correct. Sites have been going live yesterday and today. More will likely go live this afternoon and tomorrow morning. But this is just a pre launch, just allowing sites that are already complete the ability to be used. This is not wall to wall coverage all over the market. That is a long way away still.

However, more and more sites will go live every week for the next 6 months until the entire market is covered.

Robert

I like using the maps on this site, but do you think the sprint.com coverage maps will be updated saying there is LTE here now? I'd really like to see what they actually say is in the area and what it actually turns out to be.

P.S. Thanks for the nice PM thanking me for donating :).

• Like 1

I like using the maps on this site, but do you think the sprint.com coverage maps will be updated saying there is LTE here now? I'd really like to see what they actually say is in the area and what it actually turns out to be.

P.S. Thanks for the nice PM thanking me for donating :).

I'm not sure. Since Sprint is calling it a prelaunch, it may not show up on coverage maps. They weren't shown on their coverage maps a few minutes ago. Other prelaunch areas that have LTE service like Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence, Wichita Falls, Fredericksburg, etc. are not shown on coverage maps.

Robert