Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

I had that issue in the past depending on what rom ive had running. But this phone on a stock rom i havent lost complete mobile network. Just noticing weird radio issue's with LTE mostly. Dont want to wait till LTE is completely deployed to find out that my EVO is completely unable to hold onto LTE service and then not be able to return it for another LTE phone that actually detects LTE correctly.

Have you had it looked at?

Bobby

Can someone please explain why someone with their phone on LTE only will pick up a tower but not me while I switch back and forth from CDMA only to LTE/CDMA near a specific tower. I pick up 4G no problem at my work but not where he picked it up for sensorly.

Bobby

Just so you know I was driving up 140 when I was able to hold the fairly steady 4G signal. Going from 140 toward 24. I wasn't on any side streets or anything, so there might be more trees in your way or something.

I noticed that the woodsy area right after the cumberland farms gas station on the left side when going toward the dartmouth mall I was not able to pick up 4g, but as soon as i passed the trees it came right back.

Anyway, i also use a program called OpenSignalMaps to cycle through my network when I know i'm in an area that has 4g. Seems to work pretty okay. Although like a few other posters have said, it seems like the EvoLTE sadly has a subpar LTE radio in it :(.

Just so you know I was driving up 140 when I was able to hold the fairly steady 4G signal. Going from 140 toward 24. I wasn't on any side streets or anything, so there might be more trees in your way or something.

I noticed that the woodsy area right after the cumberland farms gas station on the left side when going toward the dartmouth mall I was not able to pick up 4g, but as soon as i passed the trees it came right back.

Anyway, i also use a program called OpenSignalMaps to cycle through my network when I know i'm in an area that has 4g. Seems to work pretty okay. Although like a few other posters have said, it seems like the EvoLTE sadly has a subpar LTE radio in it :(.

How far up 140 Did it last? I lose it just before 195.

Bobby

How far up 140 Did it last? I lose it just before 195.

Bobby

Just past the kings highway exit. The sensorly map has it accurately shown. I actually couldnt believe it myself when it lasted that far, because when I was driving down toward route 6 the night before I didnt get it anywhere near that far away. It seemed to switch to LTE pretty much right as I hit the set of lights at route 6 that night, but in the morning it just kept going haha.

Do all Evo LTE's have poor LTE radios? I'm still in my first month with the phone...wondering if I should exchange for an S3 even though I like the Evo better.

Yes, sadly many users have reported a less than good quality LTE radio. Even the newest sprint press release from today didnt even list the Evo as one of the LTE phones, it also didnt have the Galaxy Nexus which I guess might have a similar LTE radio issue.

I also would prefer an Evo over a GS3 as I dislike samsung phones, so its sad that the Evo doesnt work as well as the original Evo did.

It is correct. Sites have been going live yesterday and today. More will likely go live this afternoon and tomorrow morning. But this is just a pre launch, just allowing sites that are already complete the ability to be used. This is not wall to wall coverage all over the market. That is a long way away still.

However, more and more sites will go live every week for the next 6 months until the entire market is covered.

Robert

News release today about the Cape Cod LTE and you can now see them on the Sprint maps.. It looks like the LTE doesn't reach down to where I am staying on the beach but I can drive a mile over towards Hyannis and get it.. It looks like it is setup right near the airport so it covers the town and some of the highway for a bit heading out.. It also looks like an active site near Falmouth..

News release today about the Cape Cod LTE and you can now see them on the Sprint maps.. It looks like the LTE doesn't reach down to where I am staying on the beach but I can drive a mile over towards Hyannis and get it.. It looks like it is setup right near the airport so it covers the town and some of the highway for a bit heading out.. It also looks like an active site near Falmouth..

I wish the news release was for Boston area instead haha. Although they probably saved that for later since they already have a fairly dense wimax coverage, or maybe just cause the area is so much bigger.

I wish the news release was for Boston area instead haha. Although they probably saved that for later since they already have a fairly dense wimax coverage, or maybe just cause the area is so much bigger.

Boston's WiMAX coverage isn't all that dense. For example, 10 out of the 11 wimax towers in downtown boston just overlay on Sprint's locations (the 11th is across the street from a sprint tower). Sprint's native coverage totals 17 towers.

Despite having poorer propagation, clearwire built out downtown boston by just overlaying ~2/3rds of Sprint towers.

Boston's WiMAX coverage isn't all that dense. For example, 10 out of the 11 wimax towers in downtown boston just overlay on Sprint's locations (the 11th is across the street from a sprint tower). Sprint's native coverage totals 17 towers.

Wi-Max coverage in the Providence market is about as porous as New England's defense was yesterday.

I'm envious and don't understand why they wouldn't do Boston first and then go south a few miles to do the Providence Metro area as opposed to the Cape. I'm guessing we won't see LTE here until YE/2013 at best.

Do all Evo LTE's have poor LTE radios? I'm still in my first month with the phone...wondering if I should exchange for an S3 even though I like the Evo better.
so far mine has no issues at all. Works just as it should. Pretty much have 4g most of the time anywhere in my neighborhood. When I'm out of range it switches to 3g,,then back to 4g perfectly.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

Sprint has been generally working from the burbs in. If you look at the maps, you can see how towers pop up in clusters, whether due to crews gooing from tower to tower, local permits being granted, or backhaul becoming available. Given the linear layout of the Cape, I'm not surprised that a large enough percentage were finished early.

Boston itself is coming along nicely, with two towers downtown covering a lot of the touristy areas with 4G. I imagine that the permiting process in Boston is quite a bit more complicated than it is in Hyannis.

I also have an HTC EVO 4G LTE. I have not picked up a 4g signal once; I live in Westie, travel around Norwood on weekends, and work at Copley Square. I ensured I have my CDMA/LTE setting on, and have gone in/out of airplane mode a few times. Never seen the LTE pop up on my screen. Sigh.

I had the same problem and had my EVO replaced. Now I can get a LTE signal! Woo hoo!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

y5ydarah.jpgbest speeds yet. Seems like they are getting better every day. Check out area code 02760 on Sensorly,, all the purple is my handy work.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

I added some along Kelly Blvd last night. My replacement EVO can get an LTE signal!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Fyi, figured I would chime in and say that I was the person who mapped the 4g in Milford, Bellingham, Plainville and along the Franklin Commuter rail line (ie Walpole and Norwood)... Should have a chance to map 495 from Franklin to Andover in the next few days...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2