Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

So... i am hoping to get some 4G LTE in lower mills Dorchester/Milton area.. my tower went down and the sprint rep said it won't be back up until Wednesday morning.. currently living with crappy service/roaming into Verizon's towers... i'm hoping this downtime is for an LTE upgrade??

I live in Dorchester right by Ashmont and was getting very low signal too. There is an LTE tower in Mattapan, the signal just barely reaches my apartment, and the only way it does is if I put my phone into LTE only mode to force it to find the signal. Hopefully the sprint rep you spoke to is correct about the tower coming up. I am a sprint technician at a store, I'll see if maybe I can find out more info if it's not back by Wednesday.

Someplace else that might be worth checking is if you have a database editor for Android (I use SQLite Editor) look at /data/data/com.andorid.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db - it should match the entries in the apns-conf.xml file. I vaguely remember editing this file too and it would not need to be flashed everytime I flash a new nightly CM10 as it sits in the data partition (as opposed to the apns-conf.xml file which lives in /system/etc).

Was able to map a bit more 4G in the Foxboro (don't get your hopes up, no 4G for Pats games yet) area on sensorly...

Geoff

Thanks for the tip and file Geoff. I tried it but no luck. You mentioned in your xda post of some other ideas? Or think I should flash back to stock or a different rom? You running the FH05 radios? I had the same issue with the previous FG01.

Looks like the tower was down dueupgraded nical difficulties. It is back up and getting 1.5 down... im guessing this tower was not NV upgraded

I live in Dorchester right by Ashmont and was getting very low signal too. There is an LTE tower in Mattapan, the signal just barely reaches my apartment, and the only way it does is if I put my phone into LTE only mode to force it to find the signal. Hopefully the sprint rep you spoke to is correct about the tower coming up. I am a sprint technician at a store, I'll see if maybe I can find out more info if it's not back by Wednesday.

Looks like the tower was down dueupgraded nical difficulties. It is back up and getting 1.5 down... im guessing this tower was not NV upgraded

Did you get that speed before?

Maybe it had fiber installed ahead of the NV upgrade?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah.. We also had decent infrastructure in my area. Not the 2 to 3 megs like everyone else is claiming with their upgraded towers.

Did you get that speed before?

Maybe it had fiber installed ahead of the NV upgrade?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah.. We also had decent infrastructure in my area. Not the 2 to 3 megs like everyone else is claiming with their upgraded towers.

I know that just below you in Providence we won't be getting LTE till the last phase but things have gotten better with the bandage upgrades done as were indicated @ network.sprint.com

Sent using Tapatalk

Someplace else that might be worth checking is if you have a database editor for Android (I use SQLite Editor) look at /data/data/com.andorid.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db - it should match the entries in the apns-conf.xml file. I vaguely remember editing this file too and it would not need to be flashed everytime I flash a new nightly CM10 as it sits in the data partition (as opposed to the apns-conf.xml file which lives in /system/etc).

Was able to map a bit more 4G in the Foxboro (don't get your hopes up, no 4G for Pats games yet) area on sensorly...

Geoff

HI Geoff, I stumbled around with your excellent advice and just couldn't make anything happen. I did a factory reset and installed AOKP build 4 and boom it worked. It only connects on LTE Only but I wasn't complaining.

I cut through Charlestown, Somerville and through Fresh Pond rotary to Rt 2 west. Had coverage the whole trip until 128, the LTE went cold. I updated sensorly. Not sure where the tower is near Mass Ave and Alewife Parkway but the signal was really strong. I got 17 down and 8 up. Not too shabby.

Is anyone else getting unacceptably slow and/or inconsistent speeds in UMass/Savin Hill area? I might be getting around 2mbps one minute, then next minute it would drop to under 50kbps and stays at that level until I either reboot the phone or cycle airplane mode. Sprint store and phone support drones were not helpful at all, unfortunately - "tower down, no ETA."

Does any one know the typical coverage area of an LTE tower?

There is no such thing as a typical coverage area. A site in a wide open rural area on a tall tower, the range can be 10 miles. In a dense urban area, coverage may be a few blocks. All other installations are between a few blocks and 10 miles.

Each site installation is unique. RF engineers plan site coverage very carefully to maximize capacity and minimize interference.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

My question is about the arm pit of Massachusetts, western mass? What is the status with 4g lte around these parts? Anyone know a guesstimate?

Not to be literal, but I thought Buzzards Bay was the arm pit of Massachusetts.

• Like 1

The LTE that we are getting around MA (mostly from what I read here) is "spotty" at best.

It seems to come and go, it's fast then slow, etc. etc.

Does anyone know when we are going from "pre launch" to actual "Launch"?

What kind of coverage can we expect at launch time?

Right now I have to take a walk at lunch time to get any lte goodness!!

-Rich

Also' date=' the tower that covers Lower Mills Dorchester came back up.. and found that my data speeds are a COMPLETE DOWNGRADE.. Used to average 1.5 mbps down and .80 up

now.. getting .45/.33 mbps[/quote']

I had a similar thing happen at my work after the NV upgrades were complete. It took over a month for speeds to return to normal.

Also, the tower that covers Lower Mills Dorchester came back up.. and found that my data speeds are a COMPLETE DOWNGRADE.. Used to average 1.5 mbps down and .80 up

now.. getting .45/.33 mbps

Don't forget that they are working on the NV upgrades while keeping the towers online.. the entire Boston market is about 1/3 done, good progress but plenty of work left to do. I would anticipate bumps in the road along the way, all of which will be well worth the end result. Don't look at it day-by-day, look at the long-term big picture. Patience!

Nice thats great news I'm in Waltham. Now if only the city council would grant sprint the permits.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Waltham city hall granted one permit its working on the other

I'm seeing eHRPD in Waltham on 128 by Totten Pond Rd for the 1st time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that last week I kept dropping calls in this area and going into roaming.

YES i got 4G LTE near Totten Pond Rd yesterday blazing fast i got one speed test in 37.32DL 17,44UL Ping 56 and then it went away

At about 5 am this morning server for lte went down i guess. Phone says connected to lte but no data. Try to run speed test app and it can't find server. When I put my phone in 3g only all is fine. Hope they are making an improvement. Anyone else experience this?

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE