Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

I got 4G in the South End yesterday. Signal was weak on the Huntington side of the corridor park, but speeds were good everywhere from the corridor at least to Tremont for at least several blocks north of Mass Ave.

Anyone get LTE at the Big E? I had ehprd but no LTE, I think CM10 is still jacked up for LTE. Going to switch back to stock when I go to Westport and Wareham next week.

I also get ehprd at Bradley Airport in CT, and rom doesn't handle it well. I love jelly bean, but CM10 is bugging me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone get LTE at the Big E? I had ehprd but no LTE, I think CM10 is still jacked up for LTE. Going to switch back to stock when I go to Westport and Wareham next week.

I also get ehprd at Bradley Airport in CT, and rom doesn't handle it well. I love jelly bean, but CM10 is bugging me.

Big E?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to the BIG E Saturday i will post if i get LTE.

Should have a chance to map 495 from Franklin to Andover in the next few days...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I mapped Rt 495 from Rt 2 to Rt 3, and from there to 95 and Burlington Mall. I got no 4G hits. 3G speed has certainly improved, but LTE signal strength just north of the mall is -126 RSRP -20RSRQ -18.4 SNR (indoors). I dont expect LTE here at my Burlington location anytime soon.

It will be interesting if your Nexus maps anything in said area along 495.

Anyone have 4g today off of Kings Highway New Bedford? Noticed another blip on sensorly.

Bobby

Just looked and saw the extra blip too. Wasn't me this time. So somebody else is driving around with sensorly, but maybe not on this forum. :td:

• Like 1

I was fooling about with Google Fusion tables and exported my LTE speed tests to a fusion table if people wanted to look at the results they are here: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/embedviz?viz=MAP&q=select+col2+from+1wc8eG3av_0Pxlyc_RcCuhqH_ImEcDfIRpNL4HfM&h=false&lat=42.19393393313973&lng=-71.49998610839843&z=10&t=1&l=col2&y=4&tmplt=-1

(hopefully people will be able to see the map - the red dots are each a speed test that I exported from the speed test app - click on the dot to see the details.)

Fyi, figured I would chime in and say that I was the person who mapped the 4g in Milford, Bellingham, Plainville and along the Franklin Commuter rail line (ie Walpole and Norwood)... Should have a chance to map 495 from Franklin to Andover in the next few days...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was fooling about with Google Fusion tables and exported my LTE speed tests to a fusion table if people wanted to look at the results they are here: https://www.google.c...l2&y=4&tmplt=-1

(hopefully people will be able to see the map - the red dots are each a speed test that I exported from the speed test app - click on the dot to see the details.)

How accurate are the coordinates when you zoom in and look, relative to your actual locations? I have found that Speed Test sometimes does not capture them very closely, which I think may be a function of how often the app refreshes the Android GPS fix.

From Frankin to South Station were along the Commuter Rail so if you look where the tracks are on the map you can see the error (there is only one dot which is not close to the tracks -- must have been non-gps fix)... Around boston it was pretty much spot on to the buildings I was in or around...

How accurate are the coordinates when you zoom in and look, relative to your actual locations? I have found that Speed Test sometimes does not capture them very closely, which I think may be a function of how often the app refreshes the Android GPS fix.

On the "innovation district" side of the channel today at noon .45 Mbps down and a whopping .03 Mbps up.

At 12:45 on the South Station side of the channel Lte 10.8 Mbps down and 4.36 Mps up.

This is like a 5 minute walk, how are these so different? Why doesn't the Lte signal reach?

-Rich

On the "innovation district" side of the channel today at noon .45 Mbps down and a whopping .03 Mbps up.

At 12:45 on the South Station side of the channel Lte 10.8 Mbps down and 4.36 Mps up.

This is like a 5 minute walk, how are these so different? Why doesn't the Lte signal reach?

-Rich

Physics?

-Rich

Physics?

They could also be under powered or not calibrated correctly. They are still in testing so when its on, they might just be doing communications tests and see how everything reports back to the BSC

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

-Rich

Imagine holding a flashlight and pointing the light at the wall. Why doesn't it light up the floor? If you stood back far enough you could light up both the floor and the wall - but at the same time, the spot you are lighting up wouldn't be as bright.

Sprint's towers are configured to cover specific areas. The antenna at south station is designed to cover a certain area. While I am sure the RF engineers could have put up a tower near south station that would have covered you across the channel, that wouldn't have met the needs of Sprint's build-out requirements. Basically, to cover both south station and the area you are in, they needed more than one tower.

Basically, that area is not serviced by the same tower. The reason why the tower sucks across the channel is because it hasn't been upgraded to network vision.

Think of it this way - once that tower is upgraded, you will have solid coverage in both places (like you do now) AND proper 3G and 4G speeds.

Got 4G LTE finally in Davis Square for a little bit! I was in front of Orleans restaurant today and got around 12 Mbps down and 5Mbps up... Looks like they are testing as i didn't get a consistent connection...

after a quick google search... i found this... looks like permits to install a NV tower on top of Somerville Theater...

http://www.somervill...20-%20Plans.pdf

Good stuff! Can't wait til this area is finally live! My speeds on 3G are slightly better than dialup!!!!2012-09-25_12-16-54.png

Edited by moysauce

Over the last few days I used Sensorly to map about 1000 LTE points in downtown Boston from South Station to Faneuil Hall along Atlantic Ave and then back up State Street to Congress Street as highlighted in red on the map below. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried my data points never uploaded to the Sensorly map. I lost LTE reception near the Boston Harbor Hotel, but picked it back up by cycling Airplane mode. At which point, I assume I was bounced from the South Station LTE tower to the Faneuil Hall tower.

I'd like to keep using Sensorly, but I am not sure why it never updates the map with my LTE points.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

post-1718-13486078178956_thumb.jpg