Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

What is the best way to find out which 4G tower you are connected to?

Bobby

Use your LTE Engineering screen, monitor signal strength. If you are near a Sprint site with a very strong signal, then you found one. You can use our site maps mobile in your device.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just drove through Springfield, MA and got a LTE signal while on I-91 in the south end of the city. I was able to run Speedtest and got 6988kbps down/5470kbps up on the first try, 10352/600 on the second. The signal was likely from the Cross St. tower in Agawam, which is just across the river from the highway. While driving through Longmeadow, MA I was also able to pick up a LTE signal, from the Pondside Rd. tower, and was able to get 2669/354.

Did you have to cycle airplane mode to get 4G on or did it just show up.

I had to cycle. If you look at the sensorly maps in Longmeadow you can see a couple of gaps where i momentarily lost a 4g signal,had to switch to airplane mode, and then reaquired the signal.

I hope Sprint and HTC fix this issue soon, as it renders the 4g part of the phone nearly useless.

• Like 1

What is the best way to find out which 4G tower you are connected to?

Bobby

Check out the program NetMonitor. When you have 4G you can open that program and it will show you the tower you are connected to right on a google map.

Check out the program NetMonitor. When you have 4G you can open that program and it will show you the tower you are connected to right on a google map.

No!!! NetMonitor never shows LTE sites. Never. We have discussed this in dozens of threads.

Even when connected to LTE, NetMonitor (and all apps) only shows the 1x (voice) site it is connected to. Android currently is not able to harvest info from LTE sites that will disclose location. So nothing can show LTE site locations.

And NetMonitor is not even accurate for 1x locations in all markets. We have a thread about that too.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Robert' date=' Does opening windows in your house "let the signal in"? (I was told the only stupid question is the question that is never asked) :lol:

Bobby[/quote']

If you have very high performance LO-E glass in your windows and some other types of high performance glass, then it could. However, very few of us have that kind of very expensive glass in our homes. And then your window openings would have to be pretty large to allow a meaningful amount of RF through.

I think most of your issue is EVO related. It hates to hold low LTE signals.

• Like 1

If you have very high performance LO-E glass in your windows and some other types of high performance glass, then it could. However, very few of us have that kind of very expensive glass in our homes. And then your window openings would have to be pretty large to allow a meaningful amount of RF through.

I think most of your issue is EVO related. It hates to hold low LTE signals.

My 3 year old son was helping me blow the signal in the other night when I first started to get LTE at my house lol. My wife says all this 4G is making me crazy haha. I get roughly -106 to -107 RSRP in my living room right after toggling airplane mode before it switched back to 3G. Didnt think that was all that bad of signal.

Bobby

I had to cycle. If you look at the sensorly maps in Longmeadow you can see a couple of gaps where i momentarily lost a 4g signal,had to switch to airplane mode, and then reaquired the signal.

I hope Sprint and HTC fix this issue soon, as it renders the 4g part of the phone nearly useless.

My EVO didn't hold the signal at all and i was like a 1000 feet from it.

My 3 year old son was helping me blow the signal in the other night when I first started to get LTE at my house lol. My wife says all this 4G is making me crazy haha. I get roughly -106 to -107 RSRP in my living room right after toggling airplane mode before it switched back to 3G. Didnt think that was all that bad of signal.

Bobby

That's not bad. That's the EVO.

I dont believe this helped at all.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Maintenance Release Instructions | 9.4.2012

This software upgrade available for your HTC EVO 4G LTE provides key enhancements:

• Minor Bluetooth fix
  • Latest version of Visual Voicemail
  • LTE scanning improvement
  • Recent Apps button is now customizable
  • Camera app image quality enhancements
  • Software update to reduce power cycling occurrences

I get roughly -106 to -107 RSRP in my living room right after toggling airplane mode before it switched back to 3G. Didnt think that was all that bad of signal.

Bobby

That is good. Inside, my GS3 grabs 4G at first, transfers some data, thenwill swap to 3G if I'm lower than -110 rsrp. Walking around the 4 corners of the inside of the house and moving to windows makes no changes, but going outside about 10 ft from the house does improve signal enough to stay locked on.(-99 to -104). Ran a couple speed tests outside and got 10.55 Mbps down, about .5 up. Pretty sure they're still tweaking in my area.

Edited by SteaminLoaf
  • Like 1

That is good. Inside, my GS3 grabs 4G at first, transfers some data, thenwill swap to 3G if I'm lower than -110 rsrp. Walking around the 4 corners of the inside of the house and moving to windows makes no changes, but going outside about 10 ft from the house does improve signal enough to stay locked on.(-99 to -104). Ran a couple speed tests outside and got 10.55 Mbps down, about .5 up. Pretty sure they're still tweaking in my area.

You should be able to keep it at -110dBm RSRP on a GS3 (unless perhaps the signal quality is really poor). Have you upgraded to LI3, yet?

Robert

Wow, another tower must have lit up around my house. I have lte anywhere in my neighborhood but never down my street. I'm practically in the woods. I was messing with my pc and unplugged it so I cut off the wifi and my phone has a nice 4g connection.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

You should be able to keep it at -110dBm RSRP on a GS3 (unless perhaps the signal quality is really poor). Have you upgraded to LI3, yet?

Robert

If you have your MSL it might be worth (carefully) poking around your phone debug menu. I'd wager you can control the signal release threshold for the various radios there. If I get time tonight I'll look and report back.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

If you have your MSL it might be worth (carefully) poking around your phone debug menu. I'd wager you can control the signal release threshold for the various radios there. If I get time tonight I'll look and report back.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

I have tried. It is not set up like WiMax, unfortuantely. You can edit the LTE scan timer in the EVO LTE, but it had no net effect in our Waco LTE performance testing.

Robert

Yes, I have baseband LI3

I was always able to keep the GS3 to keep connected to -118dBm RSRP, and sometimes even down to -125dBm. If you are not able to keep yours past -110dBm ever, then either you have a poor quality signal (what is your RSRQ?) or you have such a strong 3G signal (like you are very close to a 3G site). There is a remote possibility that you have a device issue, but that seems unlikely.

Robert

Hey, im still having problems getting into my phones debug menu. I type in the information on my stock dialer, but nothing happens.

I am on AOKP build 3 which is jelly bean, is that an issues?

also my phone stats i am in lte 13 area, but when I connect I can not get a data signal, it says im disconnected from internet. A week ago i was getting 4g all the time.

hope i can get some help.

So... i am hoping to get some 4G LTE in lower mills Dorchester/Milton area.. my tower went down and the sprint rep said it won't be back up until Wednesday morning.. currently living with crappy service/roaming into Verizon's towers... i'm hoping this downtime is for an LTE upgrade??

No!!! NetMonitor never shows LTE sites. Never. We have discussed this in dozens of threads.

Even when connected to LTE, NetMonitor (and all apps) only shows the 1x (voice) site it is connected to. Android currently is not able to harvest info from LTE sites that will disclose location. So nothing can show LTE site locations.

And NetMonitor is not even accurate for 1x locations in all markets. We have a thread about that too.

'

Oh, well sorry I've never seen those threads. Thanks for the info.