FCC Auctions

red_dog007

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-24-135A2.pdf

One more firm's 2.5GHz auction 108 winnings is processed, waiting for any objections.  At this rate, it will be a long long time until the FCC is complete (even with setting aside contested applications like T-Mobile).

• Sad 1

T-Mobile is willing to give up 20MHz of AWS,PCS, or BRS in Kauai and Maui to expedite assignment of their Auction 108 winnings.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/attachments/attachmentViewRD.jsp?applType=search&fileKey=175210842&attachmentKey=21924918&attachmentInd=applAttach

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile is willing to give up 20MHz of AWS,PCS, or BRS in Kauai and Maui to expedite assignment of their Auction 108 winnings.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/attachments/attachmentViewRD.jsp?applType=search&fileKey=175210842&attachmentKey=21924918&attachmentInd=applAttach

I checked existing spectrum holdings and selling 5x5 PCS to each of VZW and AT&T in Kauai would get them to 20x20 apiece there, which should make them happy. In Maui it makes more sense to sell 5x5 each of PCS and AWS to get VZW 20x20 AWS and AT&T 15x15 PCS. I figure it would be a sale rather than a swap, as neither of the other two have spectrum T-Mobile would want that's high-frequency enough to avoid the spectrum screen.

Honestly, T-Mobile is strong enough in Hawaii from a capacity perspective that cutting down PCS/AWS holdings won't hurt, particularly in exchange for finally unlocking 2.5 (though in Maui I saw 140 MHz n41 regularly in September if I remember correctly).

• Thanks 1

Should trade it for some low-band there or elsewhere. AT&T dominates lowband.

7 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

8 minutes ago, iansltx said:

I checked existing spectrum holdings and selling 5x5 PCS to each of VZW and AT&T in Kauai would get them to 20x20 apiece there, which should make them happy. In Maui it makes more sense to sell 5x5 each of PCS and AWS to get VZW 20x20 AWS and AT&T 15x15 PCS. I figure it would be a sale rather than a swap, as neither of the other two have spectrum T-Mobile would want that's high-frequency enough to avoid the spectrum screen.

Honestly, T-Mobile is strong enough in Hawaii from a capacity perspective that cutting down PCS/AWS holdings won't hurt, particularly in exchange for finally unlocking 2.5 (though in Maui I saw 140 MHz n41 regularly in September if I remember correctly).

55 minutes ago, Trip said:

Wow that's great news!

Summary for others: FCC approves grant of TMOs 2.5GHz licenses with the requirement they divest the spectrum they volunteered to give up in parts of Hawaii and AT&Ts complaint is denied.

• Thanks 1

I checked some counties for T-Mobile auction 108 licenses and the licenses have not been granted yet.  I expect it will take a few days or longer.

Yeah, it basically directs the bureau to proceed with granting the applications in the normal course.  It's no longer being held by the AT&T objection.

- Trip

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Wow that's great news!

Summary for others: FCC approves grant of TMOs 2.5GHz licenses with the requirement they divest the spectrum they volunteered to give up in parts of Hawaii and AT&Ts complaint is denied.

Is this just for licenses in Hawaii?

2 hours ago, clbowens said:

Is this just for licenses in Hawaii?

WTB instructed to process all 2.5GHz licenses across the USA. They are only giving up some spectrum in certain markets of Hawaii.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rickie546 said:

Looks like the licenses for T-Mobile for auction 108 have been issued!

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMarketSum.jsp?applID=14456695

7156 licenses for T-Mobile (all that T-Mobile won). They are not yet geographically searchable, thus you would need to read through each one to find those that interest you (or get lucky). Not announced yet as a release for auction 108.  For an overview plus map see: https://s4gru.com/entry/442-t-mobile-goes-deeper-wider-in-25ghz-holdings-fcc-auction-108-results-and-impact/

As for those who say T-Mobile won in the regulatory ruling earlier this week, my view differs from most.  While T-Mobile finally gets its licenses, it will not have the same impact as two years ago.  The duo is spreading c-band far and wide.  Two years ago high speed 5g and home internet would have been revolutionary. Today it is an also ran in many areas.  T-Mobile will still have impact, just not as much.  For that reason, AT&T won.  Perhaps T-Mobile can remove some of the tarnish off its uncarrier reputation with a defeating the death star commercial touting its new rural coverage with high speed internet.

The goal of this petition as I understand it was to force T-Mobile to divest some amount of spectrum (likely C-band) in order to receive their winnings and AT&T absolutely failed in that regard. Sure they delayed the assignment of spectrum, but they delayed the assignment in areas where they still haven't built out any C-band. T-Mobile still maintains first-mover advantage on midband in these areas even if for a shorter amount of time.

In my opinion T-Mobile won insomuch as they got every license that they won and the only divestiture was 20MHz of AWS/PCS spectrum in two counties in Hawaii where T-Mobile already outnumbers Verizon and AT&T in spectrum by over 2:1. That's gotta sting for AT&T especially.

Now they have to reckon with people's speeds doubling overnight and TMHI suddenly becoming a reality in tons more localities.

What's particularly interesting is that I spot-checked one of the Hawaiian islands where T-Mobile will have to divest and it looks like if they were to sell two PCS blocks to AT&T, they could swap such that AT&T ends up with 20x20 contiguous and T-Mobile ends up with 25x25 contiguous in PCS.

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely in the "this is still a big deal" camp, as e.g. where my parents are T-Mobile is still the only one with mid-band 5G. VZW doesn't even have 5G there. So going from 40 MHz n41 to...more than that...makes FWA tenable in a market where the existing options aren't great.

Gonna check with family to see what channel width is live there now...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm back in the land that used to be 40 MHz n41. Now getting 80 MHz, which is enough to get 300+ Mbps on FWA (technically not in the geofence) at my parents' place outside town. Could get more, and better uploads, on either newer hardware or outdoors.

By way of comparison, AT&T has mmW down Main Street and n5 elsewhere, while VZW is LTE-only here. They had the perfect excuse to add some C-Band for the hordes descending on this area for the eclipse, and...didn't. So I expect T-Mobile to be the only reliable carrier around here unless you're within range of a small cell in town.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I have some corrections to the above on...all four carriers.

• Dish: has native service
  • AT&T: has n77 80+40 MHz, though it doesn't appear to be on every site
  • VZW: has B48 20+20+20 MHz on some sites, including tall macros
  • T-Mobile: has 100+80 MHz n41; I didn't see the other 100 MHz pop up until today

So, T-Mobile went from 40 MHz n41 to 180 MHz as a result of Auction 108, I believe. That's...phenomenal.

• Like 2