iPhone 12 Thread

iansltx

The new iPhones look to be quite solid devices. No word on which modem they're using, or more importantly capabilities like VoNR and NR-NR carrier aggregation, but the entire lineup has mmWave support, which was a bit of a surprise (though since they start at $700 they can afford to include it).

One thing I noticed is that the SIM-free and Sprint/TMo versions are $30 more than the VZW/AT&T versions. I'm guessing that this is because the latter two carriers' models don't include CDMA, and making a special version just for Sprint/TMo was a bit more expensive. Interestingly, VZW and AT&T are running promos on the iPhone, and T-Mobile...isn't. Not on Apple's site at least.

Either way, even the Mini is a solid phone. There's some Apple Tax to it but the fact that a phone that small has the fastest CPU of any phone out there is pretty great.

• Love 1

The $30 difference is actually a discount applied to the iPhone 12 (not Pro) handsets when you buy them and attach them to an AT&T or Verizon plan. AT&T and Verizon are clearly subsidizing the extra $30 here, just so Apple could say they didn’t raise the price of the handset by adding 5G. The margin on the Pro must have been big enough to absorb the cost. 

I’m sticking with the Pro line this year, so no skin off my back, but it’s a little bit frustrating to see this type of carrier wheeling and dealing from Apple. I was especially surprised to see them give Verizon airtime during the event to promote their nothingburger of a nationwide 5G network, but I guess that will help sell phones. 

4 hours ago, bucdenny said:

Any chance the higher end iPhone 12 got the X60 modem? 

All signs point to the X55 being used in the iPhone however, Qualcomm has been making a bigger deal than usual about working with Apple on this year's iPhone modem.

The only way we'll know for sure is when sub-6GHz carrier aggregation rolls out next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

All signs point to the X55 being used in the iPhone however, Qualcomm has been making a bigger deal than usual about working with Apple on this year's iPhone modem.

The only way we'll know for sure is when sub-6GHz carrier aggregation rolls out next year.

Will the X55 do SA 5g?

2 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Does anyone know what sprint/ T-Mobile will take as a trade in? My mom has a iPhone 6s that I replaced the screen on it also has dings on the corners of the phone. Since I fixed the screen would it be an acceptable trade in?

I sent in a spotless iPhone 6 on a trade-in (not for an iPhone) a few weeks ago (thinking that I'd get 50% off), and Sprint/T-Mobile declared it "ineligible" and gave me 10 bucks for it.  Customer care (after much, much discussion) finally told me that only iPhone 7s and later were still eligible for full trade-ins.

1 hour ago, tommym65 said:

I sent in a spotless iPhone 6 on a trade-in (not for an iPhone) a few weeks ago (thinking that I'd get 50% off), and Sprint/T-Mobile declared if "ineligible" and gave me 10 bucks for it.  Customer care (after much, much discussion) finally told me that only iPhone 7s and later were still eligible for full trade-ins.

That’s comforting... It doesn’t seem like you can get a straight answer. Not a great feeling when deciding if we should take advantage of the trade in on 2 iPhone 6, 1 iPhone 6s that is a little beat up but screen is replaced and a like new iPhone XS. A lot of money is up in the air.

5 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

That’s comforting... It doesn’t seem like you can get a straight answer. Not a great feeling when deciding if we should take advantage of the trade in on 2 iPhone 6, 1 iPhone 6s that is a little beat up but screen is replaced and a like new iPhone XS. A lot of money is up in the air.

Sprint's homepage discusses the trade-in deal and if you hover over the info radio at the end of the text, you'll see a popup with the following:

image.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Sprint's homepage discusses the trade-in deal and if you hover over the info radio at the end of the text, you'll see a popup with the following:

image.png

Yeah I’m really only concerned on the iPhone 6s of the devices as it has some scuffs on the bottom corners and back.

I did the trade in of the 7 for my mom with $300 off. Her screen is cracked and the offer says nothing about the phone being in good condition. Plus they offered $300 loyalty credit so overall $20/mo in bill credits ($600 total) was an easy decision. 

20 hours ago, briank86 said:

I did the trade in of the 7 for my mom with $300 off. Her screen is cracked and the offer says nothing about the phone being in good condition. Plus they offered $300 loyalty credit so overall $20/mo in bill credits ($600 total) was an easy decision. 

I was told on the phone that a cracked screen wouldn’t qualify but who knows. It was kinda a joke trying to get any answers from calling a store. The one guy told me there were no offers on the new iPhones and i said there were. He told me he didn’t want to get in a pissing match with me and hung up...

This is the first time in many years that my wife and I wont be upgrading from our iPhone 11 Pro's.  Previous years, I am pretty sure we simply paid $100 down, did iphone forever, and paid the $41.xx a month for our 256gb versions.  This year, Sprint site wants $350 down with reduced monthly payments.  Just seems much less attractive this way, so we are skipping.   😕  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, shaferz said:

This is the first time in many years that my wife and I wont be upgrading from our iPhone 11 Pro's.  Previous years, I am pretty sure we simply paid $100 down, did iphone forever, and paid the $41.xx a month for our 256gb versions.  This year, Sprint site wants $350 down with reduced monthly payments.  Just seems much less attractive this way, so we are skipping.   😕  

It is because it is financing, right?
You aren't leasing it.

1 hour ago, Bob Newhart said:

It is because it is financing, right?
You aren't leasing it.

I addition to the 30 month financing option, we still had an 18mo lease option - but now a big downpayment with reduced monthly payments.  

On 10/23/2020 at 9:01 PM, RAvirani said:

First post on NR with my new iPhone 12 Pro!

I sadly can't see any NR info in Field Test because I'm connected to NSA. I wonder how long it will be before the iPhone supports SA NR...

How’s the rf performance compared to iPhones with the intel modems?

43 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

How’s the rf performance compared to iPhones with the intel modems?

The iPhone 12 Pro feels noticeably better than previous intel phones at the edge of cell. The performance on LTE is pretty comparable in strong signal areas. 

• Like 1

So today we decided to go into a T-Mobile store today (former sprint corporate store) and went to activate a line to a iPhone 12. The guy took our current phone screen protector off and went through the activation process and then said that our Everything Data 1500 plan was ineligible to get an upgrade and we’d need to get a new plan. Is there any truth to this? I literally have a iPhone 12 pro coming tomorrow that I was able to purchase through the sprint app and now I’m wondering if I’ll even be able to activate it. Needless to say we left the store and now the current phone doesn’t have a screen protector. Anyone know if this guy is full of it?