AT&T LTE and Network Discussion

Trip

8 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Not sure on DSS since they haven't widened to 10x10 here yet. We'll see how long that takes, hopefully not another 3 months. I hope they enable SA on n5 soon, I get really good signal on n5 in my house but keep dropping to just b12 because the anchor signal is too weak.

I haven't been around in quite a while but what is needed for 5G DSS, is a tower climb necessary? 

When I enable 3G only on my phone I get no signal.  When I am on 5G, the primary carrier is B2 15x15 LTE and n5 5x5.  With 3G gone, how long should it be expected to take for AT&T to make it a 10x10 channel?

Also, do we know if AT&T is doing anything with the 2.5x2.5?

7 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

When I enable 3G only on my phone I get no signal.  When I am on 5G, the primary carrier is B2 15x15 LTE and n5 5x5.  With 3G gone, how long should it be expected to take for AT&T to make it a 10x10 channel?

Also, do we know if AT&T is doing anything with the 2.5x2.5?

AT&T doesn't have any tech that fits in 2.5x2.5, so nothing.

n5 is already 10x10 here in areas where they don't have the entirety of 850. Guessing it'll happen where you are soon.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:04 PM, JossMan said:

I haven't been around in quite a while but what is needed for 5G DSS, is a tower climb necessary? 

Nope, SA is simply a push of software update pretty much. It can be turned on at any momemt, but they have no need too. It will provide near 0 improvement, and will be a bigger strain on battery. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they wait until more spectrum is switched over to 5G and SoC maturation to lessen battery life hits before they enable SA everywhere. The best thing AT&T can do is keep Tmobile from buying any more 2.5Ghz spectrum and get it themselves, alongside any more mid band, and deploy it along side their C band tower climbs. If ATT can even win 20mhz of 2.5Ghz it would be great to deploy along side C band in the 2023/2024 climbs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4GHoward said:

AT&T, Verizon give FAA another year to fix airplane altimeters | Fierce Wireless
https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/att-verizon-give-faa-another-year-fix-airplane-altimeters

The key wording here is "phased approach".  Not certain the airlines really need this exemption given the thousands of flights canceled during holiday weekends are primarily from staffing shortages. Doubtful that grounding planes with outdated GPS systems would change this.

I'm a little disappointed that AT&T didn't include C band equipment on a new tower build here. A new monopole was recently built and Verizon was first to install on it about a month ago, and they did include C band in their setup. AT&T was added about a week ago. 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Root Metrics give AT&T a slight edge over Verizon nationally with both sharing first place:https://rootmetrics.com/en-US/content/us-state-of-the-mobile-union-1h-2022

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/att-ramps-5g-mid-band-buildout 

s22 phone to hunt AT&T is basically now required

Checked Columbus permits for the last few months. Currently just a few Verizon, back to April and May is mostly Starry with a few AT&T T-Mobile and Verizon plus one Crown Castle small cell. I figure most work is now rural in our area.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

AT&T finally starting to build n77 in Phoenix, a few towers already have have the dual antenna setup with DoD. Was able to get 10 MHz B30, 40 MHz n77 and 20 MHz B2 in my living room. Verizon has quite the headstart here though.

https://imgur.com/a/dCEUJa5

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

How AT&T's network chief hopes to cut a $1.6B electricity bill

https://www.lightreading.com/climate-change/how-atandts-network-chief-hopes-to-cut-$16b-electricity-bill/d/d-id/780237?

One of AT&T's new strategies to reduce its network energy consumption is to power down parts of its wireless network at night, when it's mostly unused.

Specifically, he said the operator is turning off its 5G radios working in midband spectrum. He said the operator's 5G radios in lowband spectrum remain powered on to handle whatever traffic the operator's customers generate during the night.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

One of AT&T's new strategies to reduce its network energy consumption is to power down parts of its wireless network at night, when it's mostly unused.

Specifically, he said the operator is turning off its 5G radios working in midband spectrum. He said the operator's 5G radios in lowband spectrum remain powered on to handle whatever traffic the operator's customers generate during the night.

This is a brilliant solution to the problem of the cost of powering all that equipment when it is not needed.  This is ideal for small cells that overlay a macro cell coverage area to provide additional capacity.  I would hope that the powering down and powering up of the equipment is based on the actual usage of the currently running antennas and not just based on time of day.  Then it can be set to automatic and just run without a lot of oversight while still properly catering to unexpected situations.

Many cloud based computer companies (Netflix, eBay, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.) do this type of powering up and down of server capacity in cloud data centers based on usage of the equipment and it saves them a tremendous amount of money.

I would hope they would try to get lower night-time rates first.  Could complicate signal hunting for some people (obviously not a factor).  Depending on which bands they choose, some phones may not function well.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, dkyeager said:

I would hope they would try to get lower night-time rates first.  Could complicate signal hunting for some people (obviously not a factor).  Depending on which bands they choose, some phones may not function well.

Betting this is just n77. n66/2 is DSS so doubt they'd turn that off.

$1.6B in a year? Is that a typo? Seems excessive for shutting down just portions of a cell site. I would not have assumed an electric bill that high for just anticipated potential savings.

With good AI, this could scale very nicely and could even operate all day long. Especially considering the amount of low-band that they have.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 4:30 PM, red_dog007 said:

$1.6B in a year? Is that a typo? Seems excessive for shutting down just portions of a cell site. I would not have assumed an electric bill that high for just anticipated potential savings.

With good AI, this could scale very nicely and could even operate all day long. Especially considering the amount of low-band that they have.

I think you read the article wrong. $1.6B is AT&T's total power bill, not savings.

• 3 months later...

Looks like Verizon and AT&T finally got around to doing spectrum swaps here in central KY after Verizon bought Bluegrass Cellular. Looks like they swapped a 5x5 PCS block allowing AT&T to go to 20x20 (was 10x10, 5x5, 5x5) and Verizon to go to 10x10 (was 5x5, 5x5). Looks like AT&T also swapped their 5x5 AWS block for Verizons 5x5 B12, so now they have 10x10 b12 in a large part of rural KY and Verizon increases their AWS to 15x15 + 10x10. This definitely helps clean up AT&Ts spectrum holdings here, going from 3 different PCS carriers and 3 AWS to a single large PCS and 2 AWS carriers. 

• Like 3