AT&T LTE and Network Discussion

Trip

From AT&T on Twitter at 8:27pm yesterday:

"Based on our initial review, we believe the outage was caused by the application & execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network, not a cyber attack. We are continuing our assessment to ensure we keep delivering the service that our customers deserve."

Stand alone 5g is the leading theory, their new security service is another.

At 6pm they had posted their outage work was complete.

TWO MAJOR SOLAR FLARES; EFFECTS ON CELLULAR NETWORKS UNLIKELY

published: Thursday, February 22, 2024 19:30 UTC

The Sun emitted two strong solar flares (both R3 on the NOAA Space Weather Scales), the first one peaking at 6:07 p.m. EST on Feb. 21, 2024, and the second peaking at 1:32 a.m. EST on Feb. 22, 2024.

While solar flares can affect communication systems, radar, and the Global Positioning System, based on the intensity of the eruption and associated phenomena, it is highly unlikely that these flares contributed to the widely reported cellular network outages.

NOAA and SWPC will continue to monitor the solar and near-Earth space environment for potential impacts to critical infrastructure and essential services. 

• 1 month later...

Not seeing it on my S24, but the AT&T side of my Dish/Project Genesis Edge+ 2023 is pulling AT&T n77 as of this morning (didn't test yesterday), with 200+ Mbps download speeds outdoors despite being a few miles from the nearest cell site. Maybe someone used the eclipse as an excuse to build out here after all (not VZW, to be clear).

Hopefully I'll catch the signal on my S24 as well (swapped in my Boost AT&T SIM to check), I want to see whether they have both 3900-3980 MHz and DoD spectrum online...at which point they'll have the same amount of 5G deployed to T-Mobile (10x10 n5 + 120 MHz C-Band vs. 10x10 n25 + 20x20 n71 + 80 MHz n41), albeit in a config that *should* allow for higher peak speeds.

AT&T seems to be aware they have C-Band here, as this location is marked as covered by Internet Air. So...think I'll try setting that up for the family.

EDIT 2: T-Mobile actually has 100+80 MHz here, so they've deployed more mid-band than AT&T owns. Still nice to see AT&T turning theirs on.

Edited by iansltx
Missed some info on T-Mobile
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Internet Air arrived at my parents' place last week, and got set up over the weekend. Upload speeds were respectable at ~30 Mbps in some areas. Downloads, less than 100 Mbps. T-Mobile performs a lot better, off of AFAIK the same site (albeit with lower upload speeds). So after some more testing the AT&T box will probably get returned.