Jump to content

AT&T LTE and Network Discussion


Trip

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Destroyallcubes said:

Well no phones run N30 yet, and there is no N46 to my knowledge. 3G is going to be sunset and it'll be completed by what 2022 iirc. Could always just turn that off on sites early. Doubt it though. Most likely will use DSS though

To be clear, I'm betting they'll run n5 dedicated, plus maybe n2/66, as well as additional LTE on 30 and maybe 46.

I seriously doubt they'll drop H+ in these areas until their deadline. Far too many phones can't do VoLTE on AT&T.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Destroyallcubes said:

Quick look, looks like it was a 20mhz connection on N2, that's not too bad. Wonder if it's DSS or all n2 being converted from LTE. Also noticed B1w being the Primary carrier with N2, that's interesting. From what I've seen in my locale is B2 is the primary LTE carrier with N5 being the NR band of choice.

B12?

Yeah, it appears as though if you do NSA you have to pick a low-band PCC if you run mid-band NR, or vice versa. Rather curious if they'll use B14 as a PCC anywhere.

As for whether n2 is DSS or not, should be trivial to check, but there's no way AT&T would be willing to remove 20 MHz of LTE capacity in favor of NR at this stage; that's gotta be DSS (and you should be able to verify that by switching back to 4G only mode and checking EARFCNs).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2020 at 6:35 PM, iansltx said:

To be clear, I'm betting they'll run n5 dedicated, plus maybe n2/66, as well as additional LTE on 30 and maybe 46.

I seriously doubt they'll drop H+ in these areas until their deadline. Far too many phones can't do VoLTE on AT&T.

TMobile and Verizon will be all VoLTE here soon.  I don't see why AT&T couldn't.  Though they have a very tee tiny list of VoLTE capable devices. Some kind of technical issue because of some piece of hardware/software they opted for years ago? They don't want to put the extra effort into it? Use this as an opportunity to sell phones?

They already have a decent number of markets that lack 850.  It sucks going from a very usable LTE 700 to not being able to place a fall call due to the lack of 850.  I have even noticed that AT&T 700 LTE coverage is better than their 850 HSPA coverage in my area. VoLTE works on on my phone both TMobile and VZW, why the heck not AT&T!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

TMobile and Verizon will be all VoLTE here soon.  I don't see why AT&T couldn't.  Though they have a very tee tiny list of VoLTE capable devices. Some kind of technical issue because of some piece of hardware/software they opted for years ago? They don't want to put the extra effort into it? Use this as an opportunity to sell phones?

They already have a decent number of markets that lack 850.  It sucks going from a very usable LTE 700 to not being able to place a fall call due to the lack of 850.  I have even noticed that AT&T 700 LTE coverage is better than their 850 HSPA coverage in my area. VoLTE works on on my phone both TMobile and VZW, why the heck not AT&T!

I think it's just a control issue on AT&T's end as far as their VoLTE whitelist is concerned. This may just be a way to only allow the select devices they decide to work on the network.

Fun fact- you can take an AT&T sim out of a device that has VoLTE provisioning and move it to an "incompatible" device and VoLTE will work on that "incompatible" device for several minutes before AT&T's system updates with the new IMEI and kicks the phone off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, Yuhfhrh said:

Fun fact- you can take an AT&T sim out of a device that has VoLTE provisioning and move it to an "incompatible" device and VoLTE will work on that "incompatible" device for several minutes before AT&T's system updates with the new IMEI and kicks the phone off.

When I switched to RedPocket GMSA in December from Sprint using a Verizon Palm Phone, VoLTE was working through February before it was disabled. That was a RP sim card straight into the Palm and activated in the Palm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

https://imgur.com/a/M3Tv3vX

 

What all Is going on with this site? One sector has 5 panels, the other 2 are 4, with 2 larger panels. (Mid rack) This is just a normal 2 B66 10x10 carriers with 1 B2 10x10Mhz, B2 5x5Mhz, b12, b14, B30 5x5Mhz, and N5 5Mhz, with 4g on B5.

 

Also With the Android 11 beta, and a few tweaks I was able to see all of these 5G bands available

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, red_dog007 said:

When I switched to RedPocket GMSA in December from Sprint using a Verizon Palm Phone, VoLTE was working through February before it was disabled. That was a RP sim card straight into the Palm and activated in the Palm.

On the Pixel 4 at least, the MVNO profile that's loaded for the SIM disables the ability to turn on VoLTE. Same for red Pocket T-Mobile. I used root to set a prop that forces the toggle to always be present in settings and VoLTE works fine on GSMA and GSMT. AT&T is now at least allowing VoLTE on MVNOs on their network. But devices need updated to allow it to be turned on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ingenium said:

On the Pixel 4 at least, the MVNO profile that's loaded for the SIM disables the ability to turn on VoLTE. Same for red Pocket T-Mobile. I used root to set a prop that forces the toggle to always be present in settings and VoLTE works fine on GSMA and GSMT. AT&T is now at least allowing VoLTE on MVNOs on their network. But devices need updated to allow it to be turned on.

Yeah, for the short period family was on Pure Talk, VoLTE worked on the g fast and S20, but not on the Moto X4 and E4 Plus. All four devices support VoLTE on VZW. 99.99% sure all would support VoLTE on TMo but lack of B71 on the older Motos mean I haven't checked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

So very interesting find , at my home The 5G upper layer indicator was turned off on certain LTE bands, but still has NR connected. It was on a Band 30 5 mhz one tower, a Band 30 10mhz chunk on another, and my home tower the Band 2 5Mhz chunk now has no indicator on. I am wondering if they are maybe configuring the the tower for DSS NR band 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it appears the January update on my S20 Ultra has enabled SA 5G for AT&T finally. Before the option wasn't even there. I set my phone to SA only but can't connect yet, but hopefully this is a sign they will enable soon. N5 NSA is all thats live around me currently. This might explain the weirdness some of us have been seeing with the 5G indicator and some other weirdness recently.

JZzwfP4l.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2021 at 8:29 PM, mdob07 said:

So it appears the January update on my S20 Ultra has enabled SA 5G for AT&T finally. Before the option wasn't even there. I set my phone to SA only but can't connect yet, but hopefully this is a sign they will enable soon. N5 NSA is all thats live around me currently. This might explain the weirdness some of us have been seeing with the 5G indicator and some other weirdness recently.

JZzwfP4l.jpg

Yep it was enabled across the board with android 11/One ui 3.0 update. It also enabled N66. I just got the s21 Ultra, and am curious to test if N30 is enabled or if I can enable it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm out in Lexington, KY today and noticed that Verizon has acquired 5x5 B2 from AT&T, they now have 10x10 at EARFCN 1150, used to be 5x5 at 1125 for Verizon and 5x5 at 1175 for AT&T. Not sure if they just sold for cash or swapped other spectrum. As far as I can tell I don't see any other difference in deployed spectrum here for AT&T, so not sure what spectrum they might have received in return. 

Edited to add: Unless they can swap spectrum across different areas. With Verizon buying Bluegrass Cellular maybe they are positioning to trade for the block Bluegrass owns in the middle of AT&Ts 2 B2 carriers south of Louisville. That would keep Lexington at 20x20 and allow the area south of Louisville to go to 20x20 from the current 10x10 + 5x5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I'm out in Lexington, KY today and noticed that Verizon has acquired 5x5 B2 from AT&T, they now have 10x10 at EARFCN 1150, used to be 5x5 at 1125 for Verizon and 5x5 at 1175 for AT&T. Not sure if they just sold for cash or swapped other spectrum. As far as I can tell I don't see any other difference in deployed spectrum here for AT&T, so not sure what spectrum they might have received in return. 

Edited to add: Unless they can swap spectrum across different areas. With Verizon buying Bluegrass Cellular maybe they are positioning to trade for the block Bluegrass owns in the middle of AT&Ts 2 B2 carriers south of Louisville. That would keep Lexington at 20x20 and allow the area south of Louisville to go to 20x20 from the current 10x10 + 5x5.

Yeah pretty sure you can do swaps in different markets. Pretty sure that has happened previously with other spectrum swaps. Honestly wish most areas would just complete swaps with the competition to give continuous 10-20mhz swaths instead of separated chunks(Obviously where applicable) pretty sure it would be a better experience for everyone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that we're in for another round of spectrum swaps similar to the mid-2010's. The issue previously was that we had 4 nationwide carriers so it was less likely that in PCS, carriers could swap and everyone walks away with contiguous blocks that are equal in size to what they had previously. Now that T-Mobile is part of Sprint, in many markets T-Mobile can now initiate spectrum swaps with AT&T and Verizon because their PCS holdings are much larger than before.

A good example of this is Pitt County, NC where T-Mobile lacked significant amounts of PCS spectrum before the merger with Sprint. Post-merger, T-Mobile can now swap the lower 5MHz PCS-A block and the 10MHz PCS D-block for AT&T's 15MHz PCS-B block. T-Mobile can also swap their 5MHz PCS-F with Verizon's 5MHz PCS-E.

After that swap, AT&T would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (A+D), Verizon would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (F+C), and T-Mobile would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (B+E) + the 5MHz PCS-G block.

XfPXjvm.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, Paynefanbro said:

I think that we're in for another round of spectrum swaps similar to the mid-2010's. The issue previously was that we had 4 nationwide carriers so it was less likely that in PCS, carriers could swap and everyone walks away with contiguous blocks that are equal in size to what they had previously. Now that T-Mobile is part of Sprint, in many markets T-Mobile can now initiate spectrum swaps with AT&T and Verizon because their PCS holdings are much larger than before.

A good example of this is Pitt County, NC where T-Mobile lacked significant amounts of PCS spectrum before the merger with Sprint. Post-merger, T-Mobile can now swap the lower 5MHz PCS-A block and the 10MHz PCS D-block for AT&T's 15MHz PCS-B block. T-Mobile can also swap their 5MHz PCS-F with Verizon's 5MHz PCS-E.

After that swap, AT&T would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (A+D), Verizon would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (F+C), and T-Mobile would have a contiguous 20MHz of PCS (B+E) + the 5MHz PCS-G block.

XfPXjvm.png

There is a lot of spectrum swaps that should happen throughout the country to rationalize spectrum on different bands, not just PCS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

There is a lot of spectrum swaps that should happen throughout the country to rationalize spectrum on different bands, not just PCS. 

I’m well aware however I specifically spoke about PCS as that is where there is the most to be gained right now. That is the only spectrum that Sprint had in common with the other carriers and now it has been consolidated under T-Mobile so there are many more opportunities than before for T-Mobile to do PCS swaps nationwide. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

I’m well aware however I specifically spoke about PCS as that is where there is the most to be gained right now. That is the only spectrum that Sprint had in common with the other carriers and now it has been consolidated under T-Mobile so there are many more opportunities than before for T-Mobile to do PCS swaps nationwide. 

I wonder how willing AT&T and Verizon will be to take G block in PCS? Here thats the only orphaned PCS T-Mobile has. I wish B(N)25 had caught on like B66 had to replace B4. I've not seen other carriers using B25 as priority over B2. AT&T broadcast their primary B2 carrier as B25 here but no CA with it. I only see it when I force my phone to B25 and I'm assuming it's there for other carriers to roam on. Down the road I'd love to see AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile do similar swaps in AWS as well, all 3 are a fragmented mess here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mdob07 said:

I wonder how willing AT&T and Verizon will be to take G block in PCS? Here thats the only orphaned PCS T-Mobile has. I wish B(N)25 had caught on like B66 had to replace B4. I've not seen other carriers using B25 as priority over B2. AT&T broadcast their primary B2 carrier as B25 here but no CA with it. I only see it when I force my phone to B25 and I'm assuming it's there for other carriers to roam on. Down the road I'd love to see AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile do similar swaps in AWS as well, all 3 are a fragmented mess here. 

The best thing to do with respect to PCS-G is to swap spectrum with the other two so you can get the adjacent C block. That's what they tried to do the last couple of rounds of spectrum swaps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 11:07 AM, bigsnake49 said:

The best thing to do with respect to PCS-G is to swap spectrum with the other two so you can get the adjacent C block. That's what they tried to do the last couple of rounds of spectrum swaps.

Yep. Only reason AT&T is doing B25 MFBI is for Sprint roaming as far as I can tell. They do the same thing on B5, which they also broadcast as B26. No need for CA on either because you're looking at ~256 kbps capped speeds for roaming anyway, and reasonable CA combos don't really exist for 25/26 vs. anything else on AT&T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, iansltx said:

So, AT&T got 80 MHz of C-Band on average, with 40 of that showing up in December. Not a horrible showing, given how much VZW spent.

My area got the C blocks. No C band for me until 2023 or later. Dallas got 40Mhz roughly of the A block which should be ready for use soon. Curious to see the cell sites with C band equipment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Destroyallcubes said:

My area got the C blocks. No C band for me until 2023 or later. Dallas got 40Mhz roughly of the A block which should be ready for use soon. Curious to see the cell sites with C band equipment

So your area is outside the top bunch of markets then?

Re: equipment, should look quite similar to 2.5 M-MIMO gear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found AT&T's strategy for auction 107 (n77) to be interesting: top dollar for the first 40Mhz, bottom dollar for the second 40Mhz. I believe they then spent additional money to make it contiguous.  Squatters would typically position themselves right after AT&T yet before T-Mobile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Ah, I see.  Thanks for those details! It is great to see some posts on this subject.
    • I was reading the FCC filing for the Pixel 6 yesterday and saw that it included n258 - I was wondering what that was. That will be my next phone so nice to know it will support this new spectrum. 
    • The decommissioning of Sprint sites has started, the optimistic worrying starts about which sites they will keep and convert. Only 2 out of the 3 B41 sectors are on Cellmapper, and 0 B25/26 sectors. I think another site near me also got turned off/decom'd, but I haven't checked it yet. I guess its time to start paying more attention to Sprint sites... Link to street view of the site via Google Maps ,  Link to the site in Cellmapper . Nov 2020 view: Pic of the empty top and poles on the side of the building removed, taken 2 days ago:
    • Haven't gone anywhere yet, so I can't speak to benefits.  My issue was that I was out on Monday morning and it appears that T-Mobile has turned off several Sprint towers near me.  I was sitting in a parking lot near Landmark Mall on -118 dBm Band 25 because two of the sites I used to connect to there were apparently not running, so data would barely move.  This is in addition to my home site which has been off for several weeks, but that wasn't an issue because I don't use wireless data at home.  But if they're starting to turn off Sprint sites and leave holes, then there's really no alternative. So far, I've only seen T-Mobile, but that makes sense since I've only been home and my home site is gone on Sprint, so the site I had been connecting to was a lot weaker.  I'll have to see when I'm out and about, possibly this weekend. When ROAMAHOME came out, I had that removed and blocked from my account since T-Mobile's network is so lousy, so my lines were not automatically pushed to MULTOCN.  I had to have the block removed and then MULTOCN manually added.  That's probably not typical. - Trip
    • Are you seeing a benefit from MOCN?  Is it true that MOCN is highly biased to using T-Mobile towers?  Should everyone with a non-5G phone ask for MOCN? I had the impression it was supposed to be automatic now, perhaps even without being entered explicitly.  Is this not the case?  I realize that it may take some time to draw conclusions so if you do not know yet that is fine. Thanks!
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...