Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

On Friday in Fort Collins, I saw some workers running some fiber right in front of the Hilton on the south side of the CSU campus. Conveniently, there is is a Sprint "tower" on the Hilton.

Posted Image

There is also already a B41 LTE site live on top of that Hilton. I've used it before. Was getting 40Mbps DL on it. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

just got LTE without forcing LTE Mode downtown.  Signal was weak and speeds were slow, but I'm at my desk 16 floors up.  I tried forcing LTE only immediately after and nothing.  It's like they turned it on and then back off real quick.

• Like 1

Hey guys I'm in Centennial right now and I'm getting really great 3G speeds pages load fast, videos actually load. I snapped some pictures from my iPhones field test hopefully someone here can see if I'm connected to a NV Tower.

I'm getting blazing 3G speeds this morning as well, down the Leetsdale corridor and into Glendale.  Hopefully that's a sign that some back-haul is in place.  Whoot whoot!  

There is also already a B41 LTE site live on top of that Hilton. I've used it before. Was getting 40Mbps DL on it. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I saw your post about that a few weeks ago. I have a single band phone so I'm waiting on band 25 to light up on more towers here.

• Like 1

Just a quick question... Is B41 being rolled out first? 

I tried getting LTE on Speer the other day, and my phone, being an B25 only phone, couldn't pick up any signal. I tried to force it to LTE Only mode, but Sprint took out that option on the new update to Sense 5 for the EVO Lte. (Last time I pressed LTE Only, all radios but LTE would turn off, I still get the CDMA and EV-DO to turn on when I press it now (According to SignalCheck Pro))

And it won't connect to LTE.

I know the EVO LTE has a problem with connectivity, but I didn't realize it was this bad when I got the phone 2 years ago.

Just a quick question... Is B41 being rolled out first? 

I tried getting LTE on Speer the other day, and my phone, being an B25 only phone, couldn't pick up any signal. I tried to force it to LTE Only mode, but Sprint took out that option on the new update to Sense 5 for the EVO Lte. (Last time I pressed LTE Only, all radios but LTE would turn off, I still get the CDMA and EV-DO to turn on when I press it now (According to SignalCheck Pro))

And it won't connect to LTE.

I know the EVO LTE has a problem with connectivity, but I didn't realize it was this bad when I got the phone 2 years ago.

B25 and B41 are being deployed at the same time, on different sites.  B25 is being deployed on Sprint Network Vision sites.  B41 is being deployed on Clearwire WiMax sites.  Sprint is also just now starting to deploy B26 in a 6 month stagger behind B25 on Sprint Network Vision sites.  Sprint will also start deploying B41 on Sprint Network Vision sites more toward mid year 2014.

The EVO LTE is not affected by CSFB, so it should not make much difference to go into LTE Only mode except to perhaps connect to a really faint LTE signal that your EVO would not want to hold onto otherwise.  The EVO LTE RF reception on LTE is probably the worst of any Sprint LTE to date.  It can be really, really bad.  If you can get a really good deal on another used LTE device, you'll likely be miles happier.  Or possibly get a cheap Triband LTE hotspot to use with it.

Robert

Anyone see this article on Fox 31 today?  http://kdvr.com/2014/03/10/report-att-named-best-of-big-4-mobile-carriers-in-colorado/

The goodnews is that Sprint wasn't last in recieving text messages.  I guess once your on the bottom the only place you can go is up. 

Anyone see this article on Fox 31 today?  http://kdvr.com/2014/03/10/report-att-named-best-of-big-4-mobile-carriers-in-colorado/

The goodnews is that Sprint wasn't last in recieving text messages.  I guess once your on the bottom the only place you can go is up. 

Unfortunately, most of this data was accurate (last year, as the man in pink makes known). However, once the new network is complete, I have a feeling a lot of this will change. Whether or not anyone notices... well that's another matter.

• Like 1

uploadfromtaptalk1394484129810.jpg

Robert, here is that tower I was telling you about the other day that doesn't show on your map. Obviously it's a clear site. I have screen shots of two apps showing the location

uploadfromtaptalk1394484225153.jpguploadfromtaptalk1394484241446.jpguploadfromtaptalk1394484260197.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394484501956.jpg

closer look at the racks above wimax. See if you can tell who they belong too. So the Sprint site is literally like two hundred yards away

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1394484501956.jpg closer look at the racks above wimax. See if you can tell who they belong too. So the Sprint site is literally like two hundred yards away

Verizon and tmobile

Sent from my Nexus 5

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1394484129810.jpg

Robert, here is that tower I was telling you about the other day that doesn't show on your map. Obviously it's a clear site. I have screen shots of two apps showing the location

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1394484225153.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1394484241446.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1394484260197.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1394484501956.jpg

closer look at the racks above wimax. See if you can tell who they belong too. So the Sprint site is literally like two hundred yards away

No Sprint anywhere on that site.  Only Clearwire equipment.  That's why it is not on the NV Sites Complete map.  Clearwire sites are only shown in the Premier section.

Robert

Oh. So the clear wire site by my house and by my work show up on the regular maps and this one doesn't? That's where I'm confused. So that tower that I can't see cause I'm not premier you can see it? Also you didn't think signal check gave correct bsl cause it's a band 41 site gave me the correct address. Anyways I just wanted to show you that it did show on signal check and that I was not lying that there really is a tower. But I understand that it's on the other maps. Thank you.

Oh. So the clear wire site by my house and by my work show up on the regular maps and this one doesn't? That's where I'm confused. So that tower that I can't see cause I'm not premier you can see it? Also you didn't think signal check gave correct bsl cause it's a band 41 site gave me the correct address. Anyways I just wanted to show you that it did show on signal check and that I was not lying that there really is a tower. But I understand that it's on the other maps. Thank you.

The reason the others show on the map is because Clear just happens to be co-located on a tower that also houses Sprint equipment.

Legacy cell sites often do not broadcast their exact location. They usually broadcast a point offset from the actual location. That's why the tower locator app is pointing you to a place that's not actually a Sprint site.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Soooo... I had to call customer service today after some lovely individual decided to steal my iPad. For grins, after filing the report, I asked if she had any further info regarding the LTE roll-out here. She asked me to hold for a moment while she looked it up. When she came back she read what she found; It said all towers throughout the metro area are scheduled to be 100% complete as of April 1st. She continued reading her notes which said there is a buffer of at most a month after the completion date for all cell sites to be brought online, fully transmitting LTE. It concluded by saying if at the end of April I did not see LTE then it is a device issue, as the network is scheduled to be fully operational by then.

Obviously, we all know the info provided by customer care needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However, because she didn't immediately know the answer and had to look it up made this info seem a bit more legit. Maybe we can get a couple guys from here (Santa, jthawks, I'm looking at you guys) to call customer care tomorrow and see if they get similar answers?

For the record, she was nothing but pleasant the whole time. Such an amazing job representing Sprint and setting an example of what excellent customer service should be!

• Like 1

Soooo... I had to call customer service today after some lovely individual decided to steal my iPad. For grins, after filing the report, I asked if she had any further info regarding the LTE roll-out here. She asked me to hold for a moment while she looked it up. When she came back she read what she found; It said all towers throughout the metro area are scheduled to be 100% complete as of April 1st. She continued reading her notes which said there is a buffer of at most a month after the completion date for all cell sites to be brought online, fully transmitting LTE. It concluded by saying if at the end of April I did not see LTE then it is a device issue, as the network is scheduled to be fully operational by then.

Obviously, we all know the info provided by customer care needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However, because she didn't immediately know the answer and had to look it up made this info seem a bit more legit. Maybe we can get a couple guys from here (Santa, jthawks, I'm looking at you guys) to call customer care tomorrow and see if they get similar answers?

For the record, she was nothing but pleasant the whole time. Such an amazing job representing Sprint and setting an example of what excellent customer service should be!

Hope she was right....I just wish it were any other date but April 1st.....can't FOOL me ;)

• Like 1

B25 and B41 are being deployed at the same time, on different sites.  B25 is being deployed on Sprint Network Vision sites.  B41 is being deployed on Clearwire WiMax sites.  Sprint is also just now starting to deploy B26 in a 6 month stagger behind B25 on Sprint Network Vision sites.  Sprint will also start deploying B41 on Sprint Network Vision sites more toward mid year 2014.

The EVO LTE is not affected by CSFB, so it should not make much difference to go into LTE Only mode except to perhaps connect to a really faint LTE signal that your EVO would not want to hold onto otherwise.  The EVO LTE RF reception on LTE is probably the worst of any Sprint LTE to date.  It can be really, really bad.  If you can get a really good deal on another used LTE device, you'll likely be miles happier.  Or possibly get a cheap Triband LTE hotspot to use with it.

Robert

Don't worry Robert, as soon as it hits April, I'm upgrading to the M8. Hope that gets all the Bands :)

Seriously, I love how Denver is going straight to Sprint Spark/LTE-A. Means that these new 2014 phones will live up to its speeds once its up here in Denver. Once its up, AT&T and T-Mo have some catching up to do in the speed department here in Denver. :)

• Like 1

Don't worry Robert, as soon as it hits April, I'm upgrading to the M8. Hope that gets all the Bands :)

Seriously, I love how Denver is going straight to Sprint Spark/LTE-A. Means that these new 2014 phones will live up to its speeds once its up here in Denver. Once its up, AT&T and T-Mo have some catching up to do in the speed department here in Denver. :)

The HTC M8 is a Sprint Triabnd LTE device, and it will work on all three Sprint LTE bands.  Sprint does not yet have an LTE Advanced device that supports Carrier Aggregation, and neither the HTC M8 nor the Samsung GS5 support CA on Sprint.  Sprint will not likely have a LTE Advanced/Carrier Aggregation device on the market until toward the end of 2014.

The first round of Band 41/Sprint Spark is just a natural 20MHz TDD-LTE carrier without LTE Advanced or Carrier Aggregation, supporting up to approximately 75Mbps.  In 2015 and 2016, Sprint will deploy LTE Advanced and will aggregate two and three Band 41 LTE carriers and possibly more MIMO antennas that will push throughput speeds even higher.

Robert

I'll call as soon as I get out of meetings. Thanks!

I'm experiencing huge data outages in the aurora and North/East denver areas. I'm on 1x right now and this is the first time I've had data in over an hour.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I had the same problem last week on the Hamden corrider on the south side of town. All coverage stopped from Wadsworth to Cinderella city one day. It happened yesterday also. No coverage from Wadsworth to cin city, brief coverage there, then no coverage from east of broadway to I25. The same thing happened this morning. All coverage stopped from Broadway and Hamden to Federal.

So am I understanding correctly that any tower that has 3G accepted in the Denver area will have the eCSFB issue resolved and thus, as long as I am connected to that sites LTE, a tri-band device will automatically connect to LTE without being forced and still receive voice calls?

I bought a N5 (just about 48 hours to delivery!) and I'm just trying to figure out where it should work as planned vs being forced to LTE. Also, would this hold true at any 3G accepted site across the country, or is it site by site, market by market?

• Like 1

I'll call as soon as I get out of meetings. Thanks!

Just got off the phone with Mary from Sprint. She said denver has over 27 tickets out right now upgrading the market for network vision. Each ticket has 4 or 5 zip codes. She tracked down one ticket for me: 80012 80026 80504 80123. she said that these zips are scheduled to  have Lte turned on on April 6 2014. It took so long to get this info out of her. I didn't ask for any other tickets.

• Like 1

So am I understanding correctly that any tower that has 3G accepted in the Denver area will have the eCSFB issue resolved and thus, as long as I am connected to that sites LTE, a tri-band device will automatically connect to LTE without being forced and still receive voice calls?

I bought a N5 (just about 48 hours to delivery!) and I'm just trying to figure out where it should work as planned vs being forced to LTE. Also, would this hold true at any 3G accepted site across the country, or is it site by site, market by market?

Theoretically, once a site in your market is 3G accepted, CSFB should be in place and not an issue.

This holds true for most markets. Ericsson markets are hit and miss. Most of the time it works, but from my experience there have been a few issues on 3G accepted sites in the Kansas and Missouri markets. 

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with Mary from Sprint. She said denver has over 27 tickets out right now upgrading the market for network vision. Each ticket has 4 or 5 zip codes. She tracked down one ticket for me: 80012 80026 80504 80123. she said that these zips are scheduled to  have Lte turned on on April 6 2014. It took so long to get this info out of her. I didn't ask for any other tickets.

Very interesting, I am near a few of those zip codes. So .. we will see what happens between now and April 6th.  Should be exciting to say the least.