questions regarding hpue

laqn1283

I guess the main reason Sprint's data speed is slow is because they don't have large continuous spectrum under 2 Ghz.  Since hpue increases coverage and capacity of 2.5 Ghz close to 30%, is it safe to say that Sprint's data speed problem will be resolved?

Doesn't do anything for capacity, just real world coverage. And to an extent it will.  Just depends how much longer users are on 2.5GHz in the real world before they get kicked to other bands.  It will also take time for sufficient amount of users to have adopted this technology through the purchase of phones that support HPUE.

I guess the main reason Sprint's data speed is slow is because they don't have large continuous spectrum under 2 Ghz. Since hpue increases coverage and capacity of 2.5 Ghz close to 30%, is it safe to say that Sprint's data speed problem will be resolved?

Essentially it will aloe Sprint to provide its enormous B41 resources and spectrum to more people. It is supposed to in increase the range of B41 to 99% that of B25 outdoors and 90% that of B25 indoors. Basically, in many areas where users lose a B41 signal and are shifted down to slower B25, they will be able to maintain a connection to B41.

• Like 1

Essentially it will aloe Sprint to provide its enormous B41 resources and spectrum to more people. It is supposed to in increase the range of B41 to 99% that of B25 outdoors and 90% that of B25 indoors. Basically, in many areas where users lose a B41 signal and are shifted down to slower B25, they will be able to maintain a connection to B41.

Don't forget that the cost of bringing b41 to small cities and towns has dramatically dropped. These solutions can be deployed at existing sites ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4825-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet-premier-edition/page-108&do=findComment&comment=485655 ) or as stand-alone small cells if there is no 8T8R sites nearby (Nokia or Airspan).

Don't forget that the cost of bringing b41 to small cities and towns has dramatically dropped. These solutions can be deployed at existing sites ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4825-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet-premier-edition/page-108&do=findComment&comment=485655 ) or as stand-alone small cells if there is no 8T8R sites nearby (Nokia or Airspan).

Don't forget Alpha Wireless equipment or Commscope (although Commscope's equipment (S1000 and such) is more like an LTE equivalent of the AIRAVE).

Don't forget Alpha Wireless equipment or Commscope (although Commscope's equipment (S1000 and such) is more like an LTE equivalent of the AIRAVE).

Alpha wireless are antenna manufacturers. Commscope manufacturers femtocells.

They're very different companies compared to airspan and Nokia.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I really think Sprint needs to focus on densifying the macro network still. Areas with 1 bar of Band 25/26 will still struggle when HPUE rolls out in a big way. I am still skeptical and with merger talk, who knows what will happen.

• Like 1

I really think Sprint needs to focus on densifying the macro network still.

Virtually all densification is currently B41.  B25 is generally referred to as refarming. The new B41 options at existing sites covered above come in at a far lower cost, thus should be able to be deployed where needed by Sprint (they will try refarming first, which does double speeds at the edge).

• Like 2

Virtually all densification is currently B41.  B25 is generally referred to as refarming. The new B41 options at existing sites covered above come in at a far lower cost, thus should be able to be deployed where needed by Sprint (they will try refarming first, which does double speeds at the edge).

I just do not know if this will cut it versus the competition. It will involve another upgrade cycle for real-world users to experience the HPUE benefits, when they can already experience the benefits of better data networks with other carriers. Sprint's main issues continue to be in areas where suburban sprawl has exceeded the network and is not dense enough for B41. 

• Like 1

I just do not know if this will cut it versus the competition. It will involve another upgrade cycle for real-world users to experience the HPUE benefits, when they can already experience the benefits of better data networks with other carriers. Sprint's main issues continue to be in areas where suburban sprawl has exceeded the network and is not dense enough for B41.

But that's his point. They are densifying B41 in urban/suburban areas and adding HPUE. HPUE is beneficial even in existing signal areas. It strengthens your uplink connection. It's not just valuable in fringe areas to extend service. HPUE is a good thing even if densifying. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 4

But that's his point. They are densifying B41 in urban/suburban areas and adding HPUE. HPUE is beneficial even in existing signal areas. It strengthens your uplink connection. It's not just valuable in fringe areas to extend service. HPUE is a good thing even if densifying. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Yes, I understand that, but to the average consumer they will not see this benefit for awhile unfortunately. I am not correct in understanding that HPUE headsets are just expected to hit the market this year? 

Yes, I understand that, but to the average consumer they will not see this benefit for awhile unfortunately. I am not correct in understanding that HPUE headsets are just expected to hit the market this year? 

It will tend to remove some of the traffic on band 25 (1900).  As soon as a new handset with HPUE is activated, that handset will land on Band 41 more easily.  That user will no longer be using band 25 as much as they were in the past.  Band 25 will now be able to handle traffic from other users that are not lucky enough to grab band 41. To a lesser extent, it may even take a smaller amount of traffic off band 26(800).  Right now, sometimes as I move out of band 41 range, my handset will drop to band 26. Not always, but sometimes.  If that becomes less common, you will see less users on band 26.  You are correct is saying that the benefit will not be noticed on the first day, but after a couple of months, it will start helping things.

The LG G6 will be the first HPUE handset.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/mwc17-breaking-new-ground-with-gigabit-lte-massive-mimo-and-hpue.htm

I'd bet there will be a writeup over this device once the RF info is available from the FCC testing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess what I really meant in my original question is that since hpue increases coverage of band 41 by up to 30 percent, does this mean that sprint will need 30 percent less small cells than originally planned?

I guess what I really meant in my original question is that since hpue increases coverage of band 41 by up to 30 percent, does this mean that sprint will need 30 percent less small cells than originally planned?

No. Small cells are meant to raise capacity in a local area via increased site density or to provide additional coverage where signal is weak or non existent due to environmental factors (rf shadows / null of macro sectors/etc).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes HPUE handsets are just launching this year with the LG G6 being the first handset with HPUE. I expect all 2017 flagship phones from the major OEMs (HTC, LG, Samsung, Motorola, Google, even Apple) to include HPUE support in the phones. The thing is that unlike LTE upgrades which are hard to detect unless you use a tool like SignalCheck to find out which LTE band you are on, HPUE is beneficial right away especially if you know where you get and drop B41 and also where you get B25 coverage, it will be very quick to tell if you can maintain B41 coverage around the same area as B25 coverage. I expect the average consumer to immediately tell a difference in LTE coverage with a HPUE handset for any improvements in coverage.

I think what you mean by the folks "not seeing the benefit for awhile" are those that just signed a new 2 year EIP or 2 year contract but that doesn't mean that the customer does not understand what is going on. I think its pretty clear to people that they need to buy a new device in order to take advantage of HPUE.

• Like 2

The benefit is in reference to users NOT using a device with HPUE or for those in fringe areas that lose B41. They will have to wait until the adoption rate of HPUE devices raises in their area resulting in some freed B25 and possibly B26 due to more users connected to B41 in more places

Yes HPUE handsets are just launching this year with the LG G6 being the first handset with HPUE. I expect all 2017 flagship phones from the major OEMs (HTC, LG, Samsung, Motorola, Google, even Apple) to include HPUE support in the phones. The thing is that unlike LTE upgrades which are hard to detect unless you use a tool like SignalCheck to find out which LTE band you are on, HPUE is beneficial right away since if you know where you get and drop B41 and also where you get B25 coverage, it will be very quick to tell if you can maintain B41 coverage around the same area as B25 coverage. I expect the average consumer to immediately tell a difference in LTE coverage with a HPUE handset especially if they know which areas they get and lose B41 LTE connection.

I think what you mean by the folks "not seeing the benefit for awhile" are those that just signed a new 2 year EIP or 2 year contract but that doesn't mean that the customer does not understand what is going on. I think its pretty clear to people that they need to buy a new device in order to take advantage of HPUE.

Remember, only we the S4GRU geeks and other real technical people know what is happening.   But about 95% of the population does not have a clue.

• Like 3

Remember, only we the S4GRU geeks and other real technical people know what is happening.   But about 95% of the population does not have a clue.

Well what I have learned from reading the different reddits for tmobile and sprint primarily is that the population does understand buzz words for LTE.  You will be surprised how many people can associate "B12" = longer range", "B4 = faster speeds", "B41 = faster speeds", "B26 = longer range", etc and understand that since the references are used a lot.  So when is Sprint is pitching HPUE, the "HPUE" buzz word can be pitched as having "better LTE coverage".  All Sprint has to say is grab a new phone starting in 2017 that contains HPUE and you can experience better LTE coverage.  You are never going to get 100% of the population to understand it but I am sure the percentage of folks who have no clue is lower than 95% of the population.

• Like 1

Well what I have learned from reading the different reddits for tmobile and sprint primarily is that the population does understand buzz words for LTE.  You will be surprised how many people can associate "B12" = longer range", "B4 = faster speeds", "B41 = faster speeds", "B26 = longer range", etc and understand that since the references are used a lot.  So when is Sprint is pitching HPUE, the "HPUE" buzz word can be pitched as having "better LTE coverage".  All Sprint has to say is grab a new phone starting in 2017 that contains HPUE and you can experience better LTE coverage.  You are never going to get 100% of the population to understand it but I am sure the percentage of folks who have no clue is lower than 95% of the population.

I am not positive about 95%, but ----- last week, my wife was looking for bigger clothing for our growing great granddaughter. I took a little walk to the nearby Sprint store.   I had one rep tell me I should be buying phones with a bigger battery since it would give me longer range from the cell site.   The rep got distracted and another one thought it would be  a good idea to pick up the conversation. He tried to tell me that a Galaxy S-5 did not have LTE capability.   I am beginning to think that employees in Sprint stores have no clue either.  He then decided to argue with me about it.  What he failed to understand was that I owned TWO galaxy S-5's and now own TWO Galaxy S-7's.  I kinda think that I might know more than all the reps in the store. Very Very SAD.,

• Like 4

I am not positive about 95%, but ----- last week, my wife was looking for bigger clothing for our growing great granddaughter. I took a little walk to the nearby Sprint store.   I had one rep tell me I should be buying phones with a bigger battery since it would give me longer range from the cell site.   The rep got distracted and another one thought it would be  a good idea to pick up the conversation. He tried to tell me that a Galaxy S-5 did not have LTE capability.   I am beginning to think that employees in Sprint stores have no clue either.  He then decided to argue with me about it.  What he failed to understand was that I owned TWO galaxy S-5's and now own TWO Galaxy S-7's.  I kinda think that I might know more than all the reps in the store. Very Very SAD.,

Funny because when I went into a Sprint store today in NY to pay off a lease the manager asked if I had issues with coverage in NY since my area code in CT. I told him where I had issues in the Bronx and he claimed that it was because my phone would be trying to connect to towers in Connecticut because of my area code. I was flabbergasted. But I am shocked with your bigger battery claim. Oh boy.

• Like 3

HAHA...nice one.  Sounds like some desperate employees are trying to meet a sales quota.  Ok ok...94% of the population... :P

• Like 4

We know the LG G6 is the first official Sprint phone to have HPUE, but is there any word on the Moto G5/G5 Plus?  This isn't officially a Sprint branded phone but it will be compatible with all 4 major US carriers.

Why not just aggregate B41 as an SCC to 25(or even 26) as a means to get people off those lower frequencies quicker. I know this also requires new handsets but is FDD/TDD CA of 25/41 something they are still possibly looking at.

Why not just aggregate B41 as an SCC to 25(or even 26) as a means to get people off those lower frequencies quicker. I know this also requires new handsets but is FDD/TDD CA of 25/41 something they are still possibly looking at.

Creating a new band class that used the BRS/EBS for downlink and PCS as uplink was talked about early on when Sprint deployed triband devices. But I'm 99% sure those plans have been abandoned. If HPUE does what Sprint claims it will do, there's no need for it.