What is most important in your next phone purchase?

Ascertion

What are the most important decisions to make when purchasing your next phone?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Pick as many as needed. Please choose what would be a deal breaker if it did not meet your criteria.

• RF Performance
    • Battery Life
    • Camera Performance
    • Exterior Design
    • User Accessible Battery
    • Micro SD card slot
    • Screen Resolution
    • Size of screen
    • Size of device
    • Front facing speakers
    • Software (OS Updates in a timely manner, or Device support, etc.)
    • WiFi Calling Capable
    • Rapid Charging
    • Wireless Charging
    • IR Blaster (Universal TV Remote)
    • Screen Technology (ie: Amoled, LCD)
    • CPU Type (Snapdragon, Mediatek, Exynos, etc.)
    • RAM Amount
    • Capacitive Buttons (ie: Home, Back, Recents are dedicated buttons on the device.)
    • Modability (Rooting or Jailbreaking.)

Only one criterion matters -- that it is the next iPhone.

I kid, I kid...

:P

AJ

• Like 7

Either you left off accessible/replaceable battery or that's what you meant by external battery (I wasn't clear).  As my GS5 ages, and I don't plan to replace it for another year, being able to plug in a new battery will become increasingly important.  Woe to GS6 (and iPhone) users when they are faced with the same problem.

Either you left off accessible/replaceable battery or that's what you meant by external battery (I wasn't clear). As my GS5 ages, and I don't plan to replace it for another year, being able to plug in a new battery will become increasingly important. Woe to GS6 (and iPhone) users when they are faced with the same problem.

That's why I bought AppleCare +, so I can get my battery replaced when it no longer lasts an appropriate amount of time.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Either you left off accessible/replaceable battery or that's what you meant by external battery (I wasn't clear).  As my GS5 ages, and I don't plan to replace it for another year, being able to plug in a new battery will become increasingly important.  Woe to GS6 (and iPhone) users when they are faced with the same problem.

Yes, my bad.  I just changed the poll but it may have removed somebody's vote.  I was referring to User-Accessible Batteries.

• Like 1

I'm guessing "Exterior Design" would cover things like LG's boneheaded button placement, right? 

- Trip

Correct, that or the shape of the phone.  Some people would argue this isn't a pretty phone.  While others would argue it is.  Volume/Power button placement I think would fall into Exterior Design category.

What's really surprising me is the lack of votes for camera performance.  But I will allow more votes to go in before we get a good sample.

• Like 1

I for one like the placement of that button.

Not that I want to start a debate here, as that's not the purpose of this thread, I can definitely see the value in that placement--when you're making a call and holding the phone up to your head.  At any other time (read--99% or more of the time when I'm using my phone), it makes no sense to me, whatsoever. 

But, to each his own.  That's why we have multiple phone manufacturers. :)

- Trip

• Like 2

Good poll.  I wonder if we're the only site that is likely to have RF performance at the top.

Some things I didn't choose because they can be made up with another.  For instance, adequate battery life would not be necessary if a phone had very fast charging, or maybe a removable battery.  Also, not having a card slot isn't a deal breaker if a phone has more internal storage than I think I'd ever need (sadly they tend to charge 5 to 10 times the actual cost of the memory for increasing internal storage space). 

Although now that I'm thinking, I voted for size of device, but if they made a larger phone that rolled up or had a foldable screen I wouldn't need it to be so small...hmm...

Good poll.  I wonder if we're the only site that is likely to have RF performance at the top.

Since RF performance is so unimportant to our S4GRU readership, I guess we will discontinue our FCC OET ERP/EIRP RF testing articles.

;)

AJ

Since RF performance is so unimportant to our S4GRU readership, I guess we will discontinue our FCC OET ERP/EIRP RF testing articles.

;)

AJ

I think the problem is it isn't always equating to real-life performance.  Note 5 users are raving about it, yet the FCC #s are poor.

I think the problem is it isn't always equating to real-life performance.  Note 5 users are raving about it, yet the FCC #s are poor.

I think you miss my point -- sarcasm.  But I will elaborate later.

AJ

What about reputation for reliability?

Do you mean brand loyalty?  Device support?  Or specific device performance of a company's flagship predecessor?  It's hard to judge a company based on it's previous iteration because things change so drastically.  For example, LG's G2/G3 did not have issues that caused a recall like their G4 did.  But, that is just one example. 

There are some minor things I wish I put in the poll now that I've seen these results (such as specific screen-size preferences.)  I know that the size of the phone is important to many now, but do people prefer a larger phone, or a smaller one?

EDIT: I didn't consider you could've meant for an older phone (ie: purchasing a Galaxy S5 right after the Galaxy S6 comes out.)  I could've added that.  But now if I add it, I'm not sure if people would come back and update their votes.

Do you mean brand loyalty?  Device support?  Or specific device performance of a company's flagship predecessor?  It's hard to judge a company based on it's previous iteration because things change so drastically.  For example, LG's G2/G3 did not have issues that caused a recall like their G4 did.  But, that is just one example. 

There are some minor things I wish I put in the poll now that I've seen these results (such as specific screen-size preferences.)  I know that the size of the phone is important to many now, but do people prefer a larger phone, or a smaller one?

EDIT: I didn't consider you could've meant for an older phone (ie: purchasing a Galaxy S5 right after the Galaxy S6 comes out.)  I could've added that.  But now if I add it, I'm not sure if people would come back and update their votes.

Well, personally I won't touch a Samsung phone with a ten foot pole because of bad experiences I and my associates have had with their handsets. I don't mind an LG or a Moto or a Hawaei.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

I voted Battery Life and Screen Size.

After having my Nexus 6P for a while now I definitely will not go back to a smaller phone again. It simply fits my needs better. I am still not sold on the whole 1440p - > 4k screens. Until youtube and other services are actually streaming that resolution there isn't a need. Even at 1440p I just don't see the point.

Similarly, my Nexus 6P has the best battery life I have ever experienced with a phone (although going EVO3D - > Nexus 5 - > Nexus 6P doesn't exactly set a high bar for good battery life). Just last week I ran maps navigation for 2 and a half hours, fiddled around on my phone before flights and at layovers, played some games and ran some speedtests while doing work and I got home at 11PM with 21% battery life. I forgot to plug the phone in after unpacking and showering and it was at 18% when I woke up so I tossed it on the charger while I ate breakfast (30-40 mins) and it was at like 75% when I picked it back up. I regularly don't bother charging the phone overnight now and just use the official charger while I shower and get ready. Fantastic.

• Like 1

I voted Battery Life and Screen Size.

After having my Nexus 6P for a while now I definitely will not go back to a smaller phone again. It simply fits my needs better. I am still not sold on the whole 1440p - > 4k screens. Until youtube and other services are actually streaming that resolution there isn't a need. Even at 1440p I just don't see the point.

Similarly, my Nexus 6P has the best battery life I have ever experienced with a phone (although going EVO3D - > Nexus 5 - > Nexus 6P doesn't exactly set a high bar for good battery life). Just last week I ran maps navigation for 2 and a half hours, fiddled around on my phone before flights and at layovers, played some games and ran some speedtests while doing work and I got home at 11PM with 21% battery life. I forgot to plug the phone in after unpacking and showering and it was at 18% when I woke up so I tossed it on the charger while I ate breakfast (30-40 mins) and it was at like 75% when I picked it back up. I regularly don't bother charging the phone overnight now and just use the official charger while I shower and get ready. Fantastic.

Bravo!

I absolutely could not have said it any better myself.

They (Google/Huawei) hit the proverbial ball out of the park with this one.

I know this is a loaded question but what are most people thinking is the best sprint handset for rf on ios and Android?

That is not a loaded question.  This could be a relevant example of a loaded question:  "Has Sprint stopped offering only handsets that suck in RF performance?"

For it to be a loaded question, it must contain an assumed but likely unwarranted premise that the responder must accept in order to answer the question.

AJ

So, it looks like everyone's main focus is RF performance, battery life, OS updates, then screen-size/device size.  Interesting.  For me, those are very important.  And battery size doesn't necessarily correlate to battery life.  A good example is the LG G3's 3K battery compared to the Note 5.  The Note 5's battery life blows the G3 out of the water, despite having the same battery capacity.

I would get a Note 5 if I can find a sweet deal.

Wireless charging + Samsung Pay = oh yea!

But I like to have a phone that supports 3x2CA and MIMO.

FYI if you are eligible Best Buy has them for $49 on contract right now.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk