T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

For some states. Others like michigan there's no regional carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we already know Michigan native expansion is taking place.  I've seen people on reddit reporting new coverage in north Michigan.

What is most interesting is the state of Kansas.  Take a look at their coverage map from the DT capital markets day https://i.imgur.com/SddSbpU.png.  LTE coverage in Kansas is nearly identical to the partner coverage currently in place.  This tells me that there is a good chance rural Kansas LTE coverage will be through a partner carrier leasing spectrum from T-Mobile.

Yeah, we already know Michigan native expansion is taking place. I've seen people on reddit reporting new coverage in north Michigan.

What is most interesting is the state of Kansas. Take a look at their coverage map from the DT capital markets day https://i.imgur.com/SddSbpU.png. LTE coverage in Kansas is nearly identical to the partner coverage currently in place. This tells me that there is a good chance rural Kansas LTE coverage will be through a partner carrier leasing spectrum from T-Mobile.

Are there gsm regionals left besides viaro?

Are there gsm regionals left besides viaro?

Viaero is the only GSM regional, but T-Mobile wouldn't necessarily need a GSM carrier if they are just focused on LTE expansion.

That solves the mystery of how TMO will be growing to 300mil of decent quality lte.

Why only decent?

I have low expectations of TMO. I like ten and all but outside the city limits, kaput.

Gotcha so this its pretty much a rush job outside of the city? I need to ask one of my friends who does have T-Mobile how the data is outside of the city. I know for Columbus OH there is lte on the highways.

• Like 1

Yeah, we already know Michigan native expansion is taking place.  I've seen people on reddit reporting new coverage in north Michigan.

Would you be willing to link to that?

I've seen a lot of people talk about the Northern Michigan rollout has starting. But I've seen zero objective evidence of it so far (no permits, nothing on sensorly, etc)

Everything I've seen to date has been existing 2G -> 4G upgrades, or switchover of Metro sites.

Would you be willing to link to that?

I've seen a lot of people talk about the Northern Michigan rollout has starting. But I've seen zero objective evidence of it so far (no permits, nothing on sensorly, etc)

Everything I've seen to date has been existing 2G -> 4G upgrades, or switchover of Metro sites.

They were just one off comments here and there. I don't think I could find them again. They may have been talking about the 2G conversions though.

They were just one off comments here and there. I don't think I could find them again. They may have been talking about the 2G conversions though.

If you look at the mvno 2g, 3G, lte maps, parts that have no 2g have 3G and lte.

I'm not near my PC is I don't have the links.

Will post when I have them.

What is most interesting is the state of Kansas.  Take a look at their coverage map from the DT capital markets day https://i.imgur.com/SddSbpU.png.  LTE coverage in Kansas is nearly identical to the partner coverage currently in place.  This tells me that there is a good chance rural Kansas LTE coverage will be through a partner carrier leasing spectrum from T-Mobile.

What partner in western Kansas?  It is not Viaero -- its coverage is not that substantial.  No, when I look at western Kansas on that projected coverage map, I see mostly RCC Unicel's footprint that VZW acquired, then divested to AT&T.  So, that is AT&T, which you can rest assured is not T-Mobile's partner.

Honestly, I think that T-Mobile map is a fabrication -- in many ways.  It is just an approximation of what T-Mobile had in mind several months ago.

AJ

• Like 1

Well im in Chicago and have had T-Mobile/Metro for about 9 months now and i can honestly say being a former Sprint customer im surprised how good and fast T-Mobile is here in Chicago and the burbs. On a slow day ill get at least 5mb and normally about 25-30mb constantly.

Sent from my LG Optimus F60 on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well im in Chicago and have had T-Mobile/Metro for about 9 months now and i can honestly say being a former Sprint customer im surprised how good and fast T-Mobile is here in Chicago and the burbs. On a slow day ill get at least 5mb and normally about 25-30mb constantly.

What zip are you mainly in? Ookla says TMO is 8mbps avg and root hasn't done Chicago recently (sep 2014).

I'm curious if you're getting those good/bad speeds in city or dense suburb.

Im in the city. 60644 on the west side and 60621 on the south side.

AJ says ookla is inaccurate. Given your experience, do you think 8mbps avg for tmo in Chicago is accurate?

AJ says ookla is inaccurate. Given your experience, do you think 8mbps avg for tmo in Chicago is accurate?

No, I said that Ookla is not the "gold standard."  

First, remove server selection from the equation; that is a whole other ball of wax.

But what relevance does one or even a few Ookla speed tests have -- besides to the runner at that very location at that time?  In the multipath wireless, multiple access network world, here is the statistical answer:  close to zero.

AJ

• Like 1

I would say 6 Mbps average would be more accurate where I've used T-Mo in this area.

T-Mobile is pretty terrible in the busier places of the Chicagoland area. It's like immediately upon entering Chicago city limits, and there's wall-to-wall traffic, and people everywhere, you can expect sub-1mbps speeds until later at night. These are my experiences, and YMMV. Hopefully, when T-Mobile makes us 15x15, we'll see some relief, but I doubt it. This market is pretty saturated with T-Mobile customers.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

T-Mobile is pretty terrible in the busier places of the Chicagoland area. It's like immediately upon entering Chicago city limits, and there's wall-to-wall traffic, and people everywhere, you can expect sub-1mbps speeds until later at night. These are my experiences, and YMMV. Hopefully, when T-Mobile makes us 15x15, we'll see some relief, but I doubt it. This market is pretty saturated with T-Mobile customers.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I'm surprised TMO doesn't make it as dense as NYC.