Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

So it seems Android 6.0 is a huge step backwards when it comes to SCP and using engineering screens. Both often fail to update, show LTE when not connected, incomplete LTE data, or stale LTE data (wrong band, conflicting data, missing GCI or PLMN, etc). I've never seen the 1x and LTE "bug" in SCP until now. Even the engineering screen shows partial LTE data while on 1x. It seems to correct itself after 5-10 minutes, or toggling airplane mode. The biggest surprise to me was that the engineering screens are also affected.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with M trying to improve battery life, even though it also happens while charging. It's a shame, because it's going to make finding site updates with SCP logs much more difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 6

So it seems Android 6.0 is a huge step backwards when it comes to SCP and using engineering screens. Both often fail to update, show LTE when not connected, incomplete LTE data, or stale LTE data (wrong band, conflicting data, missing GCI or PLMN, etc). I've never seen the 1x and LTE "bug" in SCP until now. Even the engineering screen shows partial LTE data while on 1x. It seems to correct itself after 5-10 minutes, or toggling airplane mode. The biggest surprise to me was that the engineering screens are also affected.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with M trying to improve battery life, even though it also happens while charging. It's a shame, because it's going to make finding site updates with SCP logs much more difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 6

A lot of these things can be fixed in SCP. Post what you're seeing in that thread and the developer can work through them. Had similar issues with Lollipop.

However, on my N5, Marshmallow and SCP seem to be co-habitating well. So far...

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I do not think this is as much an Android 6.0 issue as it is a 2015 Motorola issue.  The above behavior also afflicts the 2015 Moto X, which is on Android 5.1.

AJ

Sent from my Nexus 6

The LTE issues can likely be worked around when hunting LTE by using a "terminal emulator for android" by Jack Palevich or similar product. Type in "ping -c99999 8.8.8.8"  and let it run while hunting LTE (ping uses almost no data).  If you are hunting 1x1900 or 1x800, then ping should be avoided as it can cause SID-NID-BID to stay locked on the first site.  

The '1x and LTE "bug" in SCP' more and more frequently does make the display almost worthless for many CA capable phones, but SCP does log correctly.  I recommend using Signal Detector or LTE Discovery to see the GCI when needed.

I do not think this is as much an Android 6.0 issue as it is a 2015 Motorola issue. The above behavior also afflicts the 2015 Moto X, which is on Android 5.1.

AJ

Interesting. It was rock solid for me before upgrading to 6.0, so if that's the case perhaps it's the new 6.0 radio that inherited this "feature" from Motorola...

Sent from my Nexus 6

Interesting. It was rock solid for me before upgrading to 6.0, so if that's the case perhaps it's the new 6.0 radio that inherited this "feature" from Motorola...

Lenovo!

I called it.

;)

AJ

THANK YOU!!! I've been waiting patiently instead of flashing it simply because I don't want to risk getting stuck in a boot loop or bricking my phone.

...simply because I don't want to risk getting stuck in a boat loop or bricking my phone.

Yeah, you have to watch out for those boat loops.  They can be dangerous.

AJ

• Like 5

Sprint OTA to be completed by 10/23.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/1013767#1013767

I got the security update on the last day so let's see how long this one takes to get to me.

edit: I see someone said the same thing in response to that in the link.

I got the security update on the last day so let's see how long this one takes to get to me.

edit: I see someone said the same thing in response to that in the link.

You have a Nexus 6 and you are waiting for an OTA?  I thought that was the whole point of a true Nexus device.  I'm loving 6.0 on the Nexus 6.  I'm getting great battery life as well!

You have a Nexus 6 and you are waiting for an OTA?  I thought that was the whole point of a true Nexus device.  I'm loving 6.0 on the Nexus 6.  I'm getting great battery life as well!

I said it a few comments up. I prefer to not to flash ROMs or updates for fear that I'll get stuck in a boot loop or brick my device.

I said it a few comments up. I prefer to not to flash ROMs or updates for fear that I'll get stuck in a boot loop or brick my device.

That's understandable I know you come from a long list of HTC devices like myself. It's painful dealing with soft bricks and boot loops. With Nexus devices its extremely difficult to brick your device. I usually flash stock rooted roms and delete all the unnecessary gapps that I don't use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's understandable I know you come from a long list of HTC devices like myself. It's painful dealing with soft bricks and boot loops. With Nexus devices its extremely difficult to brick your device. I usually flash stock rooted roms and delete all the unnecessary gapps that I don't use.

I'm sorry I completely glossed over that comment.  I must agree with tybo31316, as flashing stock images on Nexus devices is much easier and better than HTC.  I remember having the original EVO and EVO 3D and how horribly annoying it was with those devices.  Either way, 6.0 has been running great.  Hope you get it soon.

• Like 2

I'm sorry I completely glossed over that comment. I must agree with tybo31316, as flashing stock images on Nexus devices is much easier and better than HTC. I remember having the original EVO and EVO 3D and how horribly annoying it was with those devices. Either way, 6.0 has been running great. Hope you get it soon.

6.0 is super smooth. I'm liking the animations. Seems like battery life and the new radio has improved too.

• Like 1

6.0 is super smooth. I'm liking the animations. Seems like battery life and the new radio has improved too.

I agree, battery life is much better.  I wish SCP worked consistently, but I think that is more of an issue with 6.0.

• Like 1

Anyone on Marshmallow having issues closing apps?  I use Audible, and I used to be able to go to recent apps and close it or use the X on its notification.  Now, even though it appears to close, and no longer has a persistent notification or shows up in the recent apps list, as soon as I get back in my Explorer and Sync connects, it begins playing the audio book I was last listening to.  The only way to stop it is to dig into the app info and hit the Force Stop button.  I've Googled a bunch to see if others are reporting this kind of problem, but I guess not that many people are on Marshmallow, yet, or it is unique to Audible.  Heck, it may be something in a recent update, that just happens to coincide with me changing over to the Nexus 6.

Thanks!

You'll love the new radio.

Other than it breaking the engineering screens (and thus SCP) if it drops to 3G at any point. Even airplane mode toggling doesn't reliably fix it. It seems you just have to wait it out usually, which can be a minute or 2 or a few hours.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

I got my OTA yesterday. Appears to not like to hold on to B41 as much. Before I was holding on to it much longer and getting good speeds. Now I'm on B25 a lot more. On my normal running route I would be able to stream music perfectly, now it skips in certain spots where it's on B25 instead of B41. 

I got my OTA yesterday. Appears to not like to hold on to B41 as much. Before I was holding on to it much longer and getting good speeds. Now I'm on B25 a lot more. On my normal running route I would be able to stream music perfectly, now it skips in certain spots where it's on B25 instead of B41.

If you are relying on Signal Check Pro don't. Since upgrading to Marshmallow Google screwed up the LTE info that SCP uses. I was thinking that I was on band 25 alot until I checked the LTE engineering screen manually. For some reason Google's info is reporting that every band is band 25.

• Like 2

If you are relying on Signal Check Pro don't. Since upgrading to Marshmallow Google screwed up the LTE info that SCP uses. I was thinking that I was on band 25 alot until I checked the LTE engineering screen manually. For some reason Google's info is reporting that every band is band 25.

I would glance at Signal Check Pro but didn't base any of my experiences on it as the developer said he hasn't updated it and others reported it not working correctly on 6.0. I've been running the same route for a while now and I can't remember a skip once until last night where it happened multiple times at different locations.

My route is approximately 5 miles and I know I come really close to at least two different sites that boardcast B41. I noticed the skips happen when I'm pretty much in the middle of the two sites (where B41 would theoretically be at its weakest). I'm thinking the new radio drops back to B25 quicker which I know is congested in my area based on previous tests. Again, I wasn't factoring in what Signal Check was currently reporting.

Just sharing my real world experience and assumptions based on previous tests a few months ago. I'm in northern Orange County, CA area for those interested.

• Like 1